Orgasmic Happiness 15 Years Ago Today

Mark VI

toughest ticket in the history of Buffalo sports. I had attended the week before so it was my oldest brother's turn to go with my dad in the season's. My other brother in Florida and I were frantic to go. We used all of our contacts which are better than most (included some players at the time) to no avail. Finally, the hail mary was completed two days before the game as we snagged the last two seats on a bus from a restaurant in Amherst after two people unexpectedly cancelled. We sat in the 30th row of the upper deck even with the end zone but they were great to us. What a day!! My most vivid game day memory was of course the a** kickin that took place on the field but also the helicopters hovering in place the entire game due to the increased security (operation Desert Storm began just a few days earlier).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Raiders Bills game the following year in LA. The game in which Norwood was missing everything. The best part of that game was the 51-3 chant that went up from the 5-8,000 Bills fans.

Watched the game on tape on the bus ride to LA from Phx. :devil:

three memories off the top of my head:

1. Kelly dropping the snap right in front of me, only for it to bounce perfectly back in his hands and him cooling throwing to Lofton for our first TD. I turned to my friend and said "this day is ours."

2. Gave OJ a high five at halftime.

3. Spending the entire evening at the corner of allen and delaware with about 500 others singing "I've got a feeling, Buffalo's going to the Super Bowl."

Followed by an all night bender for the ages. Sitting in my seat, I knew was never happier at a game in my life.  41-3 at the HALF ! 

Share your memories.

Don't even mention the followup game. Just close your eyes for a second and remember how fantastic that day was.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  :devil:

575793[/snapback]

I recall one of the greatest compliments ever by Howie Long, then a Raider: "We knew exactly what was coming, but we couldn't stop it!" Best single performance he could ever recall by a football team.

It seems like just yesterday I was watching the game at High Tops bar in Phoenix, AZ. I can still remember the tears of joy and thinking that my prayers had been answered.

One week later I got so drunk I cried myself to sleep. What a difference a week makes!

575801[/snapback]

I was partly responsible for you watching that game at High Tops. A good friend of mine, Steve Beyer, opened High Tops in the mid to late 80s. His father owned Max's, which was an all-time great sports bar in Phoenix, before sports bars became popular.

Before Steve even opened his doors at High Tops, which was first called Sneakers but he had to change it over a potential lawsuit, my friends from Buffalo and I demanded that he play the Bills every week on one of his three satellite feeds. He said he would if we brought in at least 10 people each week. We started just bringing in people off the street and offered to buy them beers if we couldn't find ten, but we always did. And pretty soon more and more people from Buffalo started coming there because they could never see the Bills. Within a year, the entire bar was overrun with Bills fans, and it became crazy every single week for years.

The highlight of the High Top years was a few weeks when Dan Manucci was the starting quarterback on the Bills and his family was in the bar using a primitive betacam camcorder to tape one of the little TVs showing the game. They took a BF-sized amount of abuse from the locals. :devil:

I was partly responsible for you watching that game at High Tops. A good friend of mine, Steve Beyer, opened High Tops in the mid to late 80s. His father owned Max's, which was an all-time great sports bar in Phoenix, before sports bars became popular.

Before Steve even opened his doors at High Tops, which was first called Sneakers but he had to change it over a potential lawsuit, my friends from Buffalo and I demanded that he play the Bills every week on one of his three satellite feeds. He said he would if we brought in at least 10 people each week. We started just bringing in people off the street and offered to buy them beers if we couldn't find ten, but we always did. And pretty soon more and more people from Buffalo started coming there because they could never see the Bills. Within a year, the entire bar was overrun with Bills fans, and it became crazy every single week for years.

The highlight of the High Top years was a few weeks when Dan Manucci was the starting quarterback on the Bills and his family was in the bar using a primitive betacam camcorder to tape one of the little TVs showing the game. They took a BF-sized amount of abuse from the locals.  :devil:

575878[/snapback]

It was out of that bar that I started the Phoenix Bills Bakers club! We stayed there for a couple of years before we move to the Natvive New Yorker in Chandler. Befoe that, I used to watch the games at Max's . I seem to recall watching Marv's debut win there!

BTW, Dan Manucci is a fellow McClintock Charger and I got the chance to meet him at my step-fathers resteraunt in Tempe

I sat at the goal line 34 rows up (the old C6 section). Things I remember:

1)The touchdown mentioned above. Lofton said as soon as he saw Kelly scrambling for the ball he broke off his route and got open.

2) The Raiders linebacker looking over to the bench sayng "What do I do?"and calling a TO on our first offensive series.

3) The hughe flag on the visitor's side and the West Point Glee Club singing patriotic songs at half time.

4) Us screaming SuperBowl at halftime and doing shots of peach schnapps from the guy behind us .

5) Drinking champagne in the parking lot after the game.

One of the greatest gifts of my life was the opportunity to be at that game with my Dad.  I remember it was freezingly cold that day, and a nice woman in the stands next to me gave me a draught of hot chocolate from her thermos.  I would have taken frostbite before leaving that game - and I was dressed warm!   

The experience afterwards what it must be like to remember your first Christmas.  The world seemed more alive, and anything seemed possible.  One the drive home from the Stadium, people were out on the streets, standing on the corners ringing bells, dancing, and cheering.  It was fantastic.

JDG

575817[/snapback]

Same kind of story here. I was 14, I was with my dad, and life was perfect. And while you grow apart from your folks a lot during your teenage years, I never really wanted to go to a game without my dad after that day. Still don't.

One bubble of joy I remember from that zepplin of happiness was how Howie Long looked dazed and confused all day long. On several plays he seemed to just stand up from his stance and do nothing but watch the ball fly by either in the air or in Thurman's arms. Friggin' unbelievable.

God, that was a great day!

My memory of that day was Las Vegas. We were in LV that weekend and watched the game at the Caesar's Palace Sport book...There were many seats taken by wearers of silver and black..I got there just at kickoff and met some nice Bills fans from Rochester...At half time there were a LOT of empty seats and we celebrated with many beverages... Mrs Lew won a nice jackpot at the dollar slots too YAY !

I was living in NC at the time, so didn't get to go to that game. I can't imagine how cool it would have been so thanks everyone for the great stories.

But I sitting with my family and celebrating together that the Bills were finally going to the Super Bowl. My parents were original season ticket holders from 1960 until we moved in 1979, and they were overjoyed...

Share your memories.

575793[/snapback]

Watched it in a bar in Los Angeles and left immediately after the game for a Raider house party where I "announced" my entrance with a Rebel Yell.

Got a lot of "ARE YOU f%^&* NUTS" and wasn't even offered a beer!

I had been living out here in New Hampshire a few years at that point, but I remember calling my parents, cousins, friends and anyone else I could think of in Buffalo. I was getting congratulatory calls from grad school friends--like I had anything to do with the Bills going to the Super Bowl!

The best part was how the city just came to life--people were proud to say they were from Buffalo. I hope we can regain that feeling again sometime soon.

My parents had a good feeling about that season, so actually rented a big screen for the entire playoffs -- I don't know the specifics (I was still in highschool), but it was probably a 50" screen - which was HUGE at the time!

We had my relatives over for the game, my mom had sandwiches and stuff in the ktichen, and it seemed the Bills could do no wrong. It was awesome :lol:

Of course, fans today would say, "Yeah, but they sucked in teh second half. We're terrible." :devil:

CW

PS: Read my sig if you want to see the game again...

I spend most of my online time here but rarely post, but this is worthy of my jumping in. I was there with my wife and youngest daughter. We tailgated with our Coleman stove and all the chili and New England chowder we could consume. DAMN it was cold that day. I remember we all were so bundled up that the whole row had to rise and sit in unison due to the size of our coats. I can't believe it was 15 years ago. I'm getting all verklempt (SP?) just thinking about that day.

Had to work that day in Los Angeles. Seeing the first Gulf War had just started the local radio station that was to carry the game only covered the war. Had to listen to it in Spanish from a Mexican station. Learned that day that "otra vez" meant again.....as in Jay Shrader throws and interception "otra vez" and the Bills score "otra vez" Was a wonderful drive home from work.

My whole family was in Rochester that day for my first niece's christening. Two of my brothers left Mass at St. Ambrose Church just after Communion so they could get back to watch the kickoff. The party quickly became a combination christening/Bills-a-goin'-to-the-Super-Bowl celebration, with every single person in attendance (from Elmira, Rochester, Niagara Falls and Buffalo) a bonafide Bills fan! It was a great day from start to finish, and one I'll always cherish!

BTW, my fellow Bills fans... I believe in my heart that there is a day even sweeter than that one in our future, when we'll all gather in downtown Buffalo on a late January or February day, to celebrate the Super Bowl Champion Buffalo Bills! (I'll bring the Moët!!!) B-)

Well, I went down to the Elmwood strip that night from the stadium. People were all over the streets...horns blowing...

Went to No Names ( 946 Elmwood ) where my friends bartended and the place was out of control. Woman were dancing on the top of the bar. They kept blasting the " Hey " song by Gary Glitter. Just a great drunkin' party which only ended when they flicked on the lights at 0430 for last call. I remember some of the Bills and Sabres showing up, which was common there on Sunday nights.

I was hungover for 2 days.... and never felt better.