I don't understand the seeming lack of urgency

Is it just me, or does it seem there seems to be no rush in interviewing anyone for the job, except for Dick Jauron. We get permission to talk to Sean Payton days ago, and then what? He takes a job in NO while he's waiting for Levy to call?? Mangini? Did anyone contact him? Rivera is free to talk now...why no interview scheduled? Haslett has been floating like a fart in the air for a week now!!

I want to believe in Levy and Wilson, but they gotta show me something.

PTR

Payton took the Saints job?

571610[/snapback]

I'm completely fine with the bills being patient. It's time to get the right coach in here instead of rushing towards the popular pick. Yes, they have to act swiftly but I'm going to assume they know what they're doing.

Yes, I agree. Very strange. Particularly since the first candidate interviewed is not drawing interest from any other team. Why no interest in some of the other candidates for other head coaching positions (i.e., Linnehan, Grimm, Al Saunders)?

I am surprised that we did not interview Payton or try to interview Mangini. The only two names that seem to be on the Bills' list are Jauron and Sherman. I really would like to hear some new names.

Is it just me, or does it seem there seems to be no rush in interviewing anyone for the job, except for Dick Jauron.  We get permission to talk to Sean Payton days ago, and then what?  He takes a job in NO while he's waiting for Levy to call??  Mangini?  Did anyone contact him?  Rivera is free to talk now...why no interview scheduled?  Haslett has been floating like a fart in the air for a week now!!

PTR

571607[/snapback]

It would also be nice to have a new coach before the Senior Bowl but as long as there's one before the Free Agency period starts and before the Combine, they should be OK.

I'd rather wait and evaluate every coach instead of interviewing one guy and saying THATS him then completely being wrong. As for my choice of coach give me a Sherman, a Riviera, or a Singletary.

571640[/snapback]

How do you evaluate every candidate when they are being hired left and right. You better be quick to get interviews with anyone you might be interested in. The Bills wanted to interview Mangini and Payton, but they were quickly swiped up by more eager teams.

We are doomed, let's face it. I've never felt so ill about the potential coaching candidates. Every other year it seems as if there are one or two guys out there that most people are drooling over. But no, the year we clean house there doesn't seem to be a guy out there that is even worthy.

Essentially, as it appears now, we'll be replacing a mediocre coach with another mediocre coach that may have a bit more experience. Ugh.

I'm literally experiencing headaches just thinking about the possiblities. Did anyone read that PFW articel on TBD?? Yikes, that was slightly depressing. I know it was very gloom and doom, but if they, meaning the golden dudes, don't hit on this coaching decision, we could be in for a miserable few years.

Especially, considering that the other two coaches outside of Belichick are from his coaching tree. At this rate, we might as well grab Pepper Johnson from the Pats just to make it a clean sweep in the AFC East.

We're all doooomed......unless Dick Jauron coaches like his hair is on fire.

When did Payton first interview in NO? thought I read someplace he had a second interview on Monday?? OK on Friday, the Bill's asked for permission from Dallas. Payton may have already been in serious negociations with NO, so told the Bill's he wasn't going to bother going there unless this fell through.

Considering how mostly everyone has ripped the Bills last two coaching hires for not having been a HC prior, maybe that was why they weren't in a hurry to interview someone young enough to be Ralph's grandson. Plus NE didn't lose till Saturday night. Certainly the Jets could have been in a position prior to the weekend where their focus was on Magini and were just waiting for NE to lose.

Clearly MM quitting last week, with a GM on the job one week, left the Bills somewhat un-prepared. Maybe that was why they wanted to bring MM back as they felt it would be strained to bring in a new HC quick enough.

Is it just me, or does it seem there seems to be no rush in interviewing anyone for the job, except for Dick Jauron.  We get permission to talk to Sean Payton days ago, and then what?  He takes a job in NO while he's waiting for Levy to call?? 

Mangini? 

PTR

571607[/snapback]

Payton has pressure from the Tuna; basically he told him he either leave or he was going to withdraw permission.

Mangini? So what he has been an assistant for a few year. Long shot at best.

Neither of these two look like a young Cowher or Mike Shanahan.

Frankly the market for head coaches is pretty bare so IT WILL TAKE TIME.

Just out of curiosity... last time TD hired a HC, weren't people all over him for making the deal with Mularkey instead of waiting to talk to the guys whose teams were still in the playoffs? (Weis, Crennell, et al.)

Mularkey was hired on January 14th of '04, and it was too soon. Today's date is January 17th, the conference championship games haven't been played (meaning guys like Grimm can't even be interviewed yet), and this time the Bills are dragging their feet?

:huh:

Just out of curiosity... last time TD hired a HC, weren't people all over him for making the deal with Mularkey instead of waiting to talk to the guys whose teams were still in the playoffs? (Weis, Crennell, et al.)

Mularkey was hired on January 14th of '04, and it was too soon. Today's date is January 17th, the conference championship games haven't been played (meaning guys like Grimm can't even be interviewed yet), and this time the Bills are dragging their feet?

:huh:

571724[/snapback]

You've been around this board long enough to know that's EXACTLY how it works. 0:)

Hey, just remember what happened last time the Bills lagged on hiring a HC, we got Gregg Williams.  We could have had Jim Fox or Marvin Lewis, but no, let's wait for GW.

571637[/snapback]

We ended up with Gregg Williams, but not because we draged our feet. Lewis was still on the market when GW was hired.

Well said, Lori.

Hey, just remember what happened last time the Bills lagged on hiring a HC, we got Gregg Williams.  We could have had Jim Fox or Marvin Lewis, but no, let's wait for GW.

571637[/snapback]

good point! sitting on it and waiting to see what becomes available will bite us in the ass again. lets just make sure we pick the right man this time! its been too long since weve had a brain leading the team. is it just me or does it seem for the past decade the people watching the games would have been able to do a better job running them than the coach? thats how i feal most sundays anyway. whatever, lets just get someone good. i hope its Sherman.

But where are all the candidates? All we are hearing is Jauron and Sherman. If this is the case, then the Bills have their mind made up. Maybe RW wanted Jauron the last time and TD talked him out of it. I have a feeling that no one else is being considered.