The OFFICIAL American Idol 2006 Thread

Rico

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to hook up with Barry every week. I think with the exception of Bucky, all of them stepped up their game tonight. Well, Travis didn't really step it up, but I thought he was far from embarrassing. I felt there were 7 very good performances, three AWESOME performances, and one that just sucked and caused the great Buddy Holly to roll over in his grave. That version of 'Walk the Line' by Daughtry could hit the radio right now. It's pretty rare that one of the AI contestants takes a song and alters it THAT much to where it's a huge departure from the original. I thought it was awesome.

I'll even admit that this was the first time I thought Covais actually belonged on the show. I think he's still the second worst behind bucky, but Barry milked that kid for everything he had.

BARRY RULES!!

PS. Katherine had me drooling.....she's by far the sexiest woman I've ever seen on this show.

Bottom 3 Predictions: Ace, Bucky, & Lisa

Eliminated: Lisa

Bucky took a step back tonight, but should be able to hang around.

Ace for the first time actually sounded good, so he stays.

Lisa has been a big disappointment. From 24-12 she was very good, but these last 2 weeks she has done little to impress.

Lisa has been a big disappointment. From 24-12 she was very good, but these last 2 weeks she has done little to impress.

638559[/snapback]

Yeah, Lisa has been a bit of a disappointment. She's just so damn adorable, it's hard for me to hack on her. She's very talented, but no way is she a contender for the title. There are three or four legit talents in this competition, IMO. I can picture LIsa on something like that saturday morning tv show that was so popular....the one with screech. I think she'd be great for something like that.

Kellie Pickler - The definition of playing the dumb blonde card to become rich. God bless her for manipulating the system (and the minds of 14-50 year old men everywhere). Hot, sexy, tight body, and a small amount of talent mixed with a fake innocent act = a platinum album in 2006.

638390[/snapback]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees through her BS.

638559[/snapback]

I think if the judges go back and listen to Lisa and Ace, they will go back and change their opinions. They were both bordering on bad. I think you have the bottom 3 nailed.

Kellie Pickler - The definition of playing the dumb blonde card to become rich. God bless her for manipulating the system (and the minds of 14-50 year old men everywhere). Hot, sexy, tight body, and a small amount of talent mixed with a fake innocent act = a platinum album in 2006.

638390[/snapback]

I actually looked at my wife and said "it is just not possible to be that dumb and still be able to survive from day to day." seriously, with her level of intelligence that has been displayed on the show it is a F-ing miracle that she has not been plowed down by a car while crossing the street. It has to be an act. I HOPE it is an act.

That version of 'Walk the Line' by Daughtry could hit the radio right now. It's pretty rare that one of the AI contestants takes a song and alters it THAT much to where it's a huge departure from the original. I thought it was awesome.

638539[/snapback]

It was a GREAT version. Johnny Cash is fantastic - and the version grabbed the essance of the song and was arranged very well. Reminded me of something Bruce Springsteen does to some of his own songs from time to time.

That version of 'Walk the Line' by Daughtry could hit the radio right now. It's pretty rare that one of the AI contestants takes a song and alters it THAT much to where it's a huge departure from the original. I thought it was awesome.

638539[/snapback]

ajzepp, I agree that Chris' version was very good, and I too thought it was original, until I heard this version, recorded by Live a couple of years ago. This is the second time in 2 weeks that Chris performed a remake of an original. This is a creative way of avoiding being stumped by the genre shows but at least last week he credited the Chili Peppers. I attached a link to the mp3 which worked earlier but for some reason is acting up now. Hopefully it will work.

http://www.soulpatrolshirts.com/media/walktheline.mp3

Wow, pretty dull show. Not much to work with, but it’s a two-hour show on FOX, so there’s always something to take a shot at.

First up, a quick note to FOX. The first hour of this show is in prime time, with small, easily frightened children and large, easily sickened adults watching. I question your judgment in showing Mandisa’s bloated, bruised, tree-trunk ankles at 8:15PM. Once is a mistake (last week), but twice is a pattern, and I would expect a warning, if not an outright fine from the FCC. Consider yourselves on notice.

On to “ManDiva.” In these heavy, post 9-11 times, I think we tend to throw the term “diva” around too much. You see, the road to becoming a “diva” has several significant stops along the way, stops that are critical in order to be given the tin-foil crown. First, you have to have a couple hit songs. Then you have to re-invent yourself as a skank, abuse controlled substances, delve into hip-hop, and finally become a fat cartoon beloved by hairdressers all across the world. For some crazy reason, Mandisa has been allowed to skip right over all the tabloid stuff and has been anointed “Man-Diva” by FOX. Well, I’m not buying it, and neither is the guy that does my wife’s hair. “Do you think I look fat in these pants, Johnny?” And there you have it.

Bucky, Bucky, Bucky. You are totally screwed this week, buddy. The band totally abandoned you (anyone else notice their half-assed effort?). Manilow was too horrified to arrange your song. Simon all but begged America not to vote for you. Paula’s drugs hadn’t kicked in yet, so you didn’t even get the manic rambling that usually fights it’s way out of her botox-addled mouth. And yet, every minute you’re not back painting cars is probably a victory for you. Enjoy the ride and enjoy your last afternoon in the cement pond.

Paris Bennet. I’m not a big fan of watching a 17 year old black Shirley Temple (or a Shirley Temple Black, for that matter) sing a sultry, smolderingly sexy song. Surreal song choice aside (how’s that for alliteration), she’s got a good voice, and a bubbly personality that will keep her around. I hate her.

Chris Daughtry, you are absolutely tempting fate now. Your stock can only go down. You know how in haunted house movies there’s usually a deep voice shouting “Get Out Now!”, but it usually turns out to be a harmless weird guy living in the basement that just wants to continue to grow his weed without intruders bugging him? Well, that weirdo is Bo Bice, and he’s screaming at you, Chris, because he’s seen how this movie ends. Run for the exit like your career depends on it.

Katherine McFunbags is safe. Insert your own joke about being taped in.

One trick pony alert!!!!!

This means you, Taylor Hicks. What the hell was that crap? We no longer find your seizures entertaining. We no longer find your “I got grey hair and soul” shtick endearing. You are safe because there are plenty of people that enjoy classic rock. How long they will tolerate your talent-less gyrations is beyond me. I’m still shocked people listen to that stale garbage, so I won’t be shocked when you last a few more weeks.

Lisa Tucker. Just because it was 50s night didn’t mean you had to morph into a black Annette Funicello complete with khaki capri pants. We would have bought the joke had you worn the mouse ears, but because you didn’t go the extra mile we were just embarrassed and uncomfortable for you. You could be going home.

Speaking of uncomfortable…Kevin Covais.

Have you ever been eating lunch and glanced around at the other tables and seen an overweight woman eating her lunch, the lunch that she has brought to work in a Victoria’s Secret bag? There are too many images that hit you, both tangible and imagined, that make you uncomfortable and interfere with your ability to enjoy your meal. Kevin Covais is that overweight woman eating a banana out of her Victoria’s Secret bag, and America is forced to watch. That is uncomfortable, and by God that is punk rock. America will vote for him because they want to see what he’s going to do next. America will vote for him because they want to see what that overweight woman is going to pull out of that Victoria’s Secret bag when she finishes her banana. And that my friends, will bring down corporate rock and roll. Kevin Covais is an unstoppable force. Simon Cowell is petrified of him and he’s petrified of what’s in his bag. We already know there’s not a shred of talent in there, and that’s why we want to see him go on.

Paying a guy with a mohawk to sit in your cheering section is too little, too late, Elliot. Pretty weak attempt to sway the punks, man. Pretty damn weak.

The Pickler. No one can be that dumb. We actually saw light bend around our TV last night when she opened her mouth. Her vortex of stupidity gets stronger every week, and I’m thinking about tying myself to the couch if she goes on in this competition so I don’t get sucked into the wormhole forming in my living room. (Look, I clearly ran out of “dumb” analogies for this Pickler section, but cut me some freaking slack here.)

I’ll let my wife add her thoughts on Ace Young.

“Ace Young must die.”

Gee-zus! Don’t pull any punches honey. Holy cow!

Bucky and Lisa Tucker are neck-and-neck in the race to LAX and out of town. My pick? I think the cars in Rockingham, SC are going to have to make do with another week of primer. Lisa Tucker goes.

ajzepp, I agree that Chris' version was very good, and I too thought it was original, until I heard this version, recorded by Live a couple of years ago.  This is the second time in 2 weeks that Chris performed a remake of an original.  This is a creative way of avoiding being stumped by the genre shows but at least last week he credited the Chili Peppers.  I attached a link to the mp3 which worked earlier but for some reason is acting up now.  Hopefully it will work. 

http://www.soulpatrolshirts.com/media/walktheline.mp3

638771[/snapback]

I don't have any audio on my comp.....but I was under the impression that Chris took that song in his own direction. If he is doing what he did last week, I guess I'm a little less impressed. Not by the performance, just by the idea of him being less original than I thought. His wearing all black was a cool tribute to Johnny Cash, though.

Wow, pretty dull show.  Not much to work with, but it’s a two-hour show on FOX, so there’s always something to take a shot at.

First up, a quick note to FOX.  The first hour of this show is in prime time, with small, easily frightened children and large, easily sickened adults watching.  I question your judgment in showing Mandisa’s bloated, bruised, tree-trunk ankles at 8:15PM.  Once is a mistake (last week), but twice is a pattern, and I would expect a warning, if not an outright fine from the FCC. Consider yourselves on notice.

On to “ManDiva.”  In these heavy,  post 9-11 times, I think we tend to throw the term “diva” around too much.  You see, the road to becoming a “diva” has several significant stops along the way, stops that are critical in order to be given the tin-foil crown.  First, you have to have a couple hit songs.  Then you have to re-invent yourself as a skank, abuse controlled substances, delve into hip-hop, and finally become a fat cartoon beloved by hairdressers all across the world.  For some crazy reason, Mandisa has been allowed to skip right over all the tabloid stuff and has been anointed “Man-Diva” by FOX.  Well, I’m not buying it, and neither is the guy that does my wife’s hair.  “Do you think I look fat in these pants, Johnny?”  And there you have it. 

Bucky, Bucky, Bucky.  You are totally screwed this week, buddy.  The band totally abandoned you (anyone else notice their half-assed effort?).  Manilow was too horrified to arrange your song.  Simon all but begged America not to vote for you.  Paula’s drugs hadn’t kicked in yet, so you didn’t even get the manic rambling that usually fights it’s way out of her botox-addled mouth.  And yet, every minute you’re not back painting cars is probably a victory for you.  Enjoy the ride and enjoy your last afternoon in the cement pond.

Paris Bennet.  I’m not a big fan of watching a 17 year old black Shirley Temple (or a Shirley Temple Black, for that matter) sing a sultry, smolderingly sexy song.    Surreal song choice aside (how’s that for alliteration), she’s got a good voice, and a bubbly personality that will keep her around.  I hate her.

Chris Daughty, you are absolutely tempting fate now.  Your stock can only go down.  You know how in haunted house movies there’s usually a deep voice shouting “Get Out Now!”, but it usually turns out to be a harmless weird guy living in the basement that just wants to continue to grow his weed without intruders bugging him?  Well, that weirdo is Bo Bice, and he’s screaming at you, Chris, because he’s seen how this movie ends. Run for the exit like your career depends on it.

Katherine McFunbags is safe.  Insert your own joke about being taped in.

One trick pony alert!!!!!

This means you, Taylor Hicks.  What the hell was that crap?  We no longer find your seizures entertaining.  We no longer find your “I got grey hair and soul” shtick endearing.  You are safe because there are plenty of people that enjoy classic rock.  How long they will tolerate your talent-less gyrations is beyond me.  I’m still shocked people listen to that stale garbage, so I won’t be shocked when you last a few more weeks.

Lisa Tucker.  Just because it was 50s night didn’t mean you had to morph into a black Annette Funicello complete with khaki capri pants.  We would have bought the joke had you worn the mouse ears, but because you didn’t go the extra mile we were just embarrassed and uncomfortable for you.  You could be going home.

Speaking of uncomfortable…Kevin Covais.

Have you ever been eating lunch and glanced around at the other tables and seen an overweight woman eating her lunch, the lunch that she has brought to work in a Victoria’s Secret bag?  There are too many images that hit you, both tangible and imagined, that make you uncomfortable and interfere with your ability to enjoy your meal. Kevin Covais is that overweight woman eating a banana out of her Victoria’s Secret bag, and America is forced to watch.  That is uncomfortable, and by God that is punk rock.  America will vote for him because they want to see what he’s going to do next.  America will vote for him because they want to see what that overweight woman is going to pull out of that Victoria’s Secret bag when she finishes her banana.  And that my friends, will bring down corporate rock and roll.  Kevin Covais is an unstoppable force.  Simon Cowell is petrified of him and he’s petrified of what’s in his bag.  We already know there’s not a shred of talent in there, and that’s why we want to see him go on.

Paying a guy with a mohawk to sit in your cheering section is too little, too late, Elliot.  Pretty weak attempt to sway the punks, man.  Pretty damn weak. 

The Pickler.  No one can be that dumb.  We actually saw light bend around our TV last night when she opened her mouth.  Her vortex of stupidity gets stronger every week, and I’m thinking about tying myself to the couch if she goes on in this competition so I don’t get sucked into the wormhole forming in my living room.  (Look, I clearly ran out of “dumb” analogies for this Pickler section, but cut me some freaking slack here.)

I’ll let my wife add her thoughts on Ace Young. 

“Ace Young must die.”

Gee-zus!  Don’t pull any punches honey.  Holy cow!

Bucky and Lisa Tucker are neck-and-neck in the race to LAX and out of town.  My pick?  I think the cars in Rockingham, SC are going to have to make do with another week of primer.  Lisa Tucker goes.

638882[/snapback]

Your reviews of the show are more entertaining than the show itself.

Wow, pretty dull show.  Not much to work with, but it’s a two-hour show on FOX, so there’s always something to take a shot at.

638882[/snapback]

Johnny...I won't quote your entire post, but once again, keep up the good work. I know there was somebody during last years show that did a similar critique. I don't know if it was you or not, but you guys are great.

Johnny...I won't quote your entire post, but once again, keep up the good work.  I know there was somebody during last years show that did a similar critique.  I don't know if it was you or not, but you guys are great.

639255[/snapback]

I agree....good stuff Coli! If I remember correctly, last year there was one person who had some really good/entertaining takes on the show, and then there was someone else who started trying to do the same thing.....but they sucked.