Mularkey out. Haslett in?

I may be in the minority, but I'd be okay with Haslett as the new HC.  He has been saddled with an idiot for an owner(Benson) and was put in an unwinnable situation by having to play 16 road games this year.  I say give him a chance.

563954[/snapback]

I agree. Anyone who can even get close to the playoffs with Aaron Brooks as thier QB is not a bad coach.

Coaches in their 2nd stint as HC usually have greater success.

563962[/snapback]

Every year the Saints are noted as being one of the most talented teams in the NFL and Haslett has consistently gone nowhere.... This is not good news if he signs on.... B-)

Every year the Saints are noted as being one of the most talented teams in the NFL and Haslett has consistently gone nowhere.... This is not good news if he signs on.... B-)

563977[/snapback]

While I don't really want Haslett and think he did a bad job in NO, I've never heard that. Where is all this talent outside Deuce McAllister and a 34 year old Joe Horn?

I may be in the minority, but I'd be okay with Haslett as the new HC.  He has been saddled with an idiot for an owner(Benson) and was put in an unwinnable situation by having to play 16 road games this year.  I say give him a chance.

563954[/snapback]

I'm also OK with Has, though I'd rather have Tressel...

I think Haslett will be re-energized in Buffalo...I think, like him or not, he's a Bills Fan...So that makes him OK in My Book...

Of coarse I imagine OJ is still a Bills Fan too... B-)

If we bring Haslett in, that would go a long way toward removing the pit that's been in my stomach for the last however many weeks. I just feel Haslett would toughen up some of these pussies and get us back to focusing on what a cold weather, blue collar team should be.

563954[/snapback]

I'll jump on the Haslett bandwagon too... not my first choice, but much, much better than MM.

While I don't really want Haslett and think he did a bad job in NO, I've never heard that. Where is all this talent outside Deuce McAllister and a 34 year old Joe Horn?

563980[/snapback]

Look at their D-line: Darren Howard, Charles Grant, Will Smith and Jonathan Sullivan. Looking on the O they also have Donte' Stallworth (a WR taken 13th overall just like a WR we have by the name of Evans).

Look at their D-line: Darren Howard, Charles Grant, Will Smith and Jonathan Sullivan. Looking on the O they also have Donte' Stallworth (a WR taken 13th overall just like a WR we have by the name of Evans).

Sullivan has been a bust. Howard and Grant are good. Smith is up and down. Outside of them, they don't have a lot except for McAllister, Horn, and Bentley. And this year they had 16 road games.

563954[/snapback]

I know Haz wanted the job before MM was hired, but Benson wouldn't let him out of his contract. RW likes to reach back to guys from his past, so it looks like a pretty good possibility...

Jim will have to show me something to make me excited, however. I've been underwhelmed by his HC career to date.

Sullivan has been a bust.  Howard and Grant are good.  Smith is up and down.  Outside of them, they don't have a lot except for McAllister, Horn, and Bentley.  And this year they had 16 road games.

564014[/snapback]

I'll give him a small reprive for this year but what's their excuse for finishing around .500 the previous years?

"Most talented teams in the NFL?"  Hardly!

563982[/snapback]

There seems to be a lot of people who point to NO as being talented, but no one seems to be able to single out that talent. Fact is tha they had 5 pro bowlers in 2000 and that has dropped each year to 1 resereve this year. No is clearly in decline and not due to coaching.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5242550

I don't believe anything I ever hear on Fox News but....

563946[/snapback]

Can we start CNN/Fox News argument? Those are fun.

In all seriousness, though, why do they think Haslett is the #1 candidate? Same speculation that we do daily?

564007[/snapback]

I'll give you Smith and Grant (although he had a weak year)...both nice up and comers. Howard is decent but quite inconsistent. Can't comment on Sullivan b/c I don't know enough about him. But I hope he is a run stopping DT and not a pass rusher b/c 1.5 sacks in three years doesn't scream talent.

Stallworth is talented, but hasn't lived up to it. He put up decent #s this year but Horn was out for a few games. Being a high pick doesn't mean anything.

Even if all those guys you mentioned were better, that still doesn't put them amongst the "most talented teams in the NFL." I had just never heard that mentioned before.

Take away last year which was a joke for the Saints(not getting to play a home game) and Haslett is 4 games over .500.  The Bills could do a lot worse.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HaslJi0.htm

564024[/snapback]

and take away his first year his team record is .500. Yes you can do worse but if our goal is to make the playoffs again this decade 8-8 isn't going to do it.

I'll give you Smith and Grant (although he had a weak year)...both nice up and comers. Howard is decent but quite inconsistent. Can't comment on Sullivan b/c I don't know enough about him. But I hope he is a run stopping DT and not a pass rusher b/c 1.5 sacks in three years doesn't scream talent.

Stallworth is talented, but hasn't lived up to it. He put up decent #s this year but Horn was out for a few games. Being a high pick doesn't mean anything.

Even if all those guys you mentioned were better, that still doesn't put them amongst the "most talented teams in the NFL." I had just never heard that mentioned before.

564030[/snapback]

But it displays that they have better talent on their D-line, where it all starts on D and considering that Haslett is defensive minded I would think their team would be better than average.

I'm also OK with Has, though I'd rather have Tressel...

I think Haslett will be re-energized in Buffalo...I think, like him or not, he's a Bills Fan...So that makes him OK in My Book...

Of coarse I imagine OJ is still a Bills Fan too... B-)

563995[/snapback]

BRING BACK THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE!

well this actually makes sense. when i 1st heard that haslett had said he would be willing to take a coordinator job my first thought was he really wanted to come to buffalo.haslett probably figured if mike faltered he would step in as head coach anyway.i am not saying i want jim as our head coach,but it sure looks that way

and take away his first year his team record is .500. Yes you can do worse but if our goal is to make the playoffs again this decade 8-8 isn't going to do it.

564035[/snapback]

If Haslett can go .500 with a screwed up organization let by Bozo Benson, I have to believe he can have greater success here.

But it displays that they have better talent on their D-line, where it all starts on D and considering that Haslett is defensive minded I would think their team would be better than average.

564038[/snapback]

Hey man, you aren't gonna get any argument from me in terms of their performance. I think Haslett was an average coach with an average team. Not anything to get too excited about. I just don't think that having an above average D-Line, a very good RB and an aging very good WR and little else puts them in the NFL elite in terms of talent.

I'm not really in Haslett's corner...but maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

I mean it's not like he broke any serious code of ethics among players and ratted out a former teammate (for steroids) who happens to be one of the best and most popular players for the franchise for which he might want to join.... B-)

563977[/snapback]

That seems like a fair read. I loved him as a player but as a coach Haslett always seems to have some major disconnect with his players, and not in a good way. He sure doesn't strike me as the Field General of the Saints when I see them play, he's more reminiscent of the guy about the get fragged by his own troops.

At this point I'm starting to believe that coaching success is a combination of being at the right place at the right time, with the right players, some luck, and hard work.

Being close to Cleveland here in Youngstown, Bill Bellicheck was considered a disaster as HC for the Browns, and took the New England job to a lot moaning and groaning in Boston.

We know what happened there......so why not Haslett? You never know.

Haslett is the favorite. He also said that the Bills will contact both Mike Sherman and Mike Martz about the newly opened position.

I think I would be cool with Sherman, but definetly not Martz. No need for a coach who has ammased some of the stupidest coach's challenges ever.

I mean it's not like he broke any serious code of ethics among players and ratted out a former teammate (for steroids) who happens to be one of the best and most popular players for the franchise for which he might want to join.... B-)

564059[/snapback]

gimme a break!! a "serious code of ethics"?? i've posted this elsewhere, but i strongly suspect that haslett was presuming that the audience he was speaking to knew that pretty much every nfl player with a ridiculously freakish weight (a phenomenon that took off in the early-mid 80s) was on steroids. he presumed it because virtually every line player was in fact juiced. now you can't say that because steroids are pretty much out of the picture, but the players make up for it by juicing up on HGH in high school and college (where there's no testing!). put simply, everyone knows guys in the 1980s nfl who played on the lines were juiced -- they wouldn't have made it otherwise.