Bills | Permission granted to interview Fairchild

nmas3

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Buffalo Bills have received permission from the St. Louis Rams to interview offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild for the same position in Buffalo. The Bills need an offensive coordinator after they let Tom Clements go.

I dont know much about fairchild, but maybe he learned from martz how to develop quaterbacks. That and well towards the end of the year there was a lot more of a balance in the rams offense, with more emphasis on the run, maybe he can bring that here? I wouldn't call it a bad move without knowing more about the guy.

edit: I didn't realize he used to be our running backs coach. I think a runningbacks coach as an offensive coordinator would be a good idea.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...BF?OpenDocument

Hmmm......this can't be good.

562627[/snapback]

I don't see a problem with it. The ram’s offense was balanced and played well when he took over the play calling duties for Martz.

In the 11 games he called plays in the Rams averaged 21 Points, 245 Yards passing, and 101 yards rushing per game. He also showed good balance with his play calling averaging 35 passes per game, and 25 rushes per game. What’s even more impressive is he did all that with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jamie Martin as his starting QB's. He also has experience as a QB coach, and coached in Buffalo in the past.

I know a lot of people are holding out for a Norv Turner, or X head coach but it's unlikely we spend that type of cash. Fairchild learned a very productive system in St Louis that always seemed to produce great results at the QB position, and in his 11 game stretch this year he really proved that Martz was the problem.

He also showed good balance with his play calling averaging 35 passes per game, and 25 rushes per game.  What’s even more impressive is he did all that with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jamie Martin as his starting QB's.  He also has experience as a QB coach, and coached in Buffalo in the past.

562629[/snapback]

I have to disagree with the statement that a 35/25 ratio with those knuckleheads under center is impressive -- especially considering the Rams have Steven Jackson, a big back who would like 30+ carries a game. The fact that the QBs still produced some yards is decent. but remember that the Rams play the Cards and 'Niners twice a year -- the toughest of defenses.

Gregg Williams' first staff as RB Coach....

Fairchild Bio

562644[/snapback]

The guy went from Greg Williams' RB coach to OC AND QB coach for the Rams in 2003??? :D:flirt: How does that happen??

Must have had one hell of an interview...

The guy went from Greg Williams' RB coach to OC AND QB coach for the Rams in 2003???  :D  :flirt: How does that happen??

Must have had a great interview!

562754[/snapback]

I guess the people who do the hiring know more than we fans do. That's how people like Dan Henning end up getting jobs (he's doing a fairly decent job in Carolina) even though we fans think it's a stupid move.

The guy went from Greg Williams' RB coach to OC AND QB coach for the Rams in 2003???   :D  :flirt: How does that happen??

562754[/snapback]

Face it GW was horrible at picking coaches! I mean our former QB coach Steve Kragthorpe is now the HC of a Tulsa program that beat Fresno State in the Liberty Bowl. I mean damn between him and Fairchild how can people think GW deserves to be a HC again? [/sarcasm]

Why ANYONE would want Norv Turner is beyond me.

562654[/snapback]

i am not "ANYONE" but I am "SOMEBODY" ( :flirt: )

....and I would love to have Norv Turner as an OC.

he has a tremendous record as an OC. I can't believe "anyone" wouldn't want him.

The guy went from Greg Williams' RB coach to OC AND QB coach for the Rams in 2003???   :D  :flirt: How does that happen??

562754[/snapback]

He was close with Martz.

But, I dont know how anyone could be upset with hiring the Rams offensive CoOrdinator. Again, whats with all the stupid posts. There has been alot of that latley.

The guy went from Greg Williams' RB coach to OC AND QB coach for the Rams in 2003???  :D  :flirt: How does that happen??

562754[/snapback]

I believe Martz and Fairchild had a history.....Martz loaded up his staff with cronies like Larry Marmie, defensive coordinator, whose main accomplishment was leading his men out of the way of oncoming running backs and wideouts. Fairchild had some issues with the temporary coach, at one point nearly coming to fisticuffs.

I would hope that the Bills pass on Fairchild. The Rams would be down by 3 and the Rookie From Harvard would be throwing passes all over the field. I think they can do better. Take the guy from New England.