Levy Perspective from a respected journalist

MRudney

I think this article sums up my thoughts on the Levy situation best. I haven't compiled all of the reasons why I like the decision, I just felt this organization needed a "True Leader". This article provides most of the reasons why I feel good about the decision. The great thing is that it comes from a respected National journalist, not the pessimists at WGR.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9146991

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this article sums up my thoughts on the Levy situation best.  I haven't compiled all of the reasons why I like the decision, I just felt this organization needed a "True Leader".  This article provides most of the reasons why I feel good about the decision.  The great thing is that it comes from a respected National journalist, not the pessimists at WGR. 

558772[/snapback]

Anyone who knows Levy respects him, and thinks he will do a great job. It's only the journalists who only know what they read on other people's websites that put Levy down.

PTR

The great thing is that it comes from a respected National journalist, not the pessimists at WGR. 

558772[/snapback]

And also a former Bills beat reporter/fan who cut his teeth on those super bowl teams coached by Marv.

Not saying Vic is wrong, but he is not the most objective guy when it comes to Marv or the Bills.

The door swings both ways.

He has ample qualifications to upgrade all aspects of the way the Bills function from the selection of talent to the structure of their training and physical conditioning to the revamping of the coaching staff.

And he will. I read into this though. You think he'll be calling up Rusty Jones soon?

And he will.  I read into this though.  You think he'll be calling up Rusty Jones soon?

558784[/snapback]

Apparently the brain trust is happy with Butch "Sweet" Roll.

His was one of the heads that remained in place while others were, well... rolling on the floor.

Apparently the brain trust is happy with Butch "Sweet" Roll.

His was one of the heads that remained in place while others were, well... rolling on the floor.

558809[/snapback]

Nah. IMO, they released coaches at positions that need to be filled quickly before other teams snag guys for their own vacancies. S&C is not a priority hiring (or firing!) thing.

Anyone who knows Levy respects him, and thinks he will do a great job.  It's only the journalists who only know what they read on other people's websites that put Levy down.

PTR

558774[/snapback]

Levy is very capable of doing a great job, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Donahoe was capable also- but the positions we needed were hard to come by during his tenure here.

Luck has so much to do with it.

So who are you saying swings boths ways? Marv or Vic?

558936[/snapback]

Why do you think they call them beat reporters?

Anyway, it always intrigues me that those who praise the Bills are respected jouranlists and those who criticize the Bills are hacks. Without fail.

it would be wise for mcgahee to read this passage from marv's book, quoted in the article:

Consider this passage from his book about when, during a visit to his office shortly after his retirement, he began looking at the photos on the hallway walls: "Those faces that stared back at me ... were a testament to the commitment that (former Bills GMs) Bill Polian, John (Butler), and I had made when we resolved to bring only men with solid character onto our team. There wasn't a 'look-at-me' showboat among them. There were no choreographed end-zone dancers who thought they were cute but really weren't. In fact, I don't recall seeing even one backward-baseball-cap-wearer up there. I never saw or heard any of our players indulge in degrading displays of blatant self-aggrandizement. All I saw were men who, if they wanted to brag, would have been justified in boasting, 'I came to play.' "

it would be wise for mcgahee to read this passage from marv's book, quoted in the article:

Consider this passage from his book about when, during a visit to his office shortly after his retirement, he began looking at the photos on the hallway walls: "Those faces that stared back at me ... were a testament to the commitment that (former Bills GMs) Bill Polian, John (Butler), and I had made when we resolved to bring only men with solid character onto our team. There wasn't a 'look-at-me' showboat among them. There were no choreographed end-zone dancers who thought they were cute but really weren't. In fact, I don't recall seeing even one backward-baseball-cap-wearer up there. I never saw or heard any of our players indulge in degrading displays of blatant self-aggrandizement. All I saw were men who, if they wanted to brag, would have been justified in boasting, 'I came to play.' "

559034[/snapback]

Holy crap... if you believe this crap then you are a bigger <fill in the blank> than I thought.

Cornelius Bennett stuck some poor girl in the can against her will, Jim Kelly threw drinks in women's faces, partied his ass off, and stuck small businesses with the tab for his failed restaurant. Bruce Smith never participated in training camp, was suspended for substance abuse, and was found asleep at a stop light (I also believe there is a famous picture on the bench with his hat sideways). He also celebrated after EVERYTHING he did. Thurman Thomas told some poor kid to go f' his mother (or something similar)... I'm sure the list goes on and on and on...

So if WM can even read, I expect him to throw the book back poor ol' Marv and call him a liar.

I thought today's article in the D&C with the Polian interview was great. I like the Polian really thinks of Marv as his mentor, and has been pushing for him to re-enter the league.

I really like that Levy is back in a leadership role. I like that he has Modrak to help him with the personnel decisions, and somebody else to help him deal with contracts and agents. I like that he is here to help Mularkey get his head out of his ass and mentor him as well. But most of all, I just like that he's on our side, and we'll get to hear his wisdom some more.

Holy crap... if you believe this crap then you are a bigger <fill in the blank> than I thought.

Cornelius Bennett stuck some poor girl in the can against her will, Jim Kelly threw drinks in women's faces, partied his ass off, and stuck small businesses with the tab for his failed restaurant.  Bruce Smith never participated in training camp, was suspended for substance abuse, and was found asleep at a stop light (I also believe there is a famous picture on the bench with his hat sideways).  He also celebrated after EVERYTHING he did. Thurman Thomas told some poor kid to go f' his mother (or something similar)... I'm sure the list goes on and on and on...

So if WM can even read, I expect him to throw the book back poor ol' Marv and call him a liar.

559048[/snapback]

Geez Louise, SDS. They simply tried to hire character guys. Is every player sopposed to be a perfect role model 100% of the time? What skeletons do YOU have in your closet? Bottom line is that despite these transgressions, these Bills were much more likable than the likes of TO, Moss, and other showboaters today.

The fact remains that Levy is back, and this is nothing but an improvement over Donahoe. Let's leave it at that at not throw stones at this because of some obvious misjudgments on the part of his players....

Geez Louise, SDS.  They simply tried to hire character guys.  Is every player sopposed to be a perfect role model 100% of the time?  What skeletons do YOU have in your closet?  Bottom line is that despite these transgressions, these Bills were much more likable than the likes of TO, Moss, and other showboaters today. 

The fact remains that Levy is back, and this is nothing but an improvement over Donahoe.  Let's leave it at that at not throw stones at this because of some obvious misjudgments on the part of his players....

559054[/snapback]

I'm sorry if your reading comprehension is a bit off today. Marv apparently wrote something in his book that was complete BS. Now we have people suggesting this BS be read to other people, as somehow repeating this lie would make an impression.

I have skeletons in my closet just like these players... A few rapes, some drug abuse, stiffed people out $1000's... I mean who HASN'T had a few of these "transgressions" in their past?

BTW, it is NOT a fact that Levy is an improvement. It is a FACT that we will have to wait and see what happens.

I'm sorry if your reading comprehension is a bit off today.  Marv apparently wrote something in his book that was complete BS.  Now we have people suggesting this BS be read to other people, as somehow repeating this lie would make an impression.

I have skeletons in my closet just like these players... A few rapes, some drug abuse, stiffed people out $1000's... I mean who HASN'T had a few of these "transgressions" in their past?

BTW, it is NOT a fact that Levy is an improvement.  It is a FACT that we will have to wait and see what happens.

559066[/snapback]

Got it. I'll try to temper my excitement. But I can't help but think that this is perhaps the most exciting addition to the Bills since Flutie.

In the meantime, you can hold your line of thought, but I personally prefer to not think of Levy as a liar and disseminator of bullsh!t.

In the meantime, you can hold your line of thought, but I personally prefer to not think of Levy as a liar and disseminator of bullsh!t.

559074[/snapback]

then I suggest you avoid his book. Your issue is with Marv - not me.

then I suggest you avoid his book.  Your issue is with Marv - not me.

559084[/snapback]

I have no issue at all with Marv - I think he's a class act. And although I can't claim to speak for other Bills fan, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority do so as well.

Moreover, I can at least discern the difference as to Marv's GOALS when hiring personnel vs their ACTIONS after the fact. I don't think as poorly of him as you do, and would think that YOU are the one with issue here.

I'm just curious - are you just trying to prove your pt or do you really have an axe to grind here against Marv?