mort's makin' some excuses for td over at espn.com

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=10343

Brandon (Buffalo): Would the Bills be better off starting fresh by firing Mularkey and replace him with one of the recently fired head coaches with more experience? Donahoe is only part of the problem...

Chris Mortensen: (11:32 AM ET ) I didn't think Donohoe was any of the problem and I think Mularkey should only be removed if there is a strong philosophcal difference. If I were a Bills fan, I'd be alarmed by the developments. I really would.

____

Jeff (Flint, MI): Don't you think that Donahoe was at least part of the problem in Buffalo? He took a lot of needless risks on draft day, such as McGahee and Loseman, and let valuable players leave that could have helped them win now, such as Bledsoe and Pat Williams. I'm not saying that I could do any better, but what positives did he bring during his tenure in Buffalo?

Chris Mortensen: (11:42 AM ET ) Again, I don't have the team. But he cleaned up a huge salary cap mess he inherited. He also inherited a terrible QB problem...and Bledsoe was the right bridge until they drafted a young guy. The Bills - and Ralph Wilson concurred - saw Bledsoe has a QB capable of being a 9-7 = now I hear Parcells is concerned about the same thing. Losman has the talent but the Bills counted on their No. 2 ranked defense to help them through. Pat Williams was a financial decision - they offered him a lot of money. He wangted more. They had key injuries on defense. I said this before - sometimes it just ain't your year. By the way, the McGahee pick turned out to be a pretty good one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say that I disagree with anything that Mort said here. It is silly and blind to suggest that TD did not do some good things during his time in Buffalo. However, the bottom line is that the team failed to make the playoffs even once during his tenure, and it is time to move in a different direction.

Then who was the problem Mort ya friggin idiot.

5 years of sucking and being one of the worst team is a problem.

Being a believer in the Lord I'm not going to say what I truley want to say to these statements. Unreal.

552492[/snapback]

Excellent. I have lost all respect for Mort.

Can't say that I disagree with anything that Mort said here. It is silly and blind to suggest that TD did not do some good things during his time in Buffalo. However, the bottom line is that the team failed to make the playoffs even once during his tenure, and it is time to move in a different direction.

552499[/snapback]

He said that TD wasnt part of the problem at all. You really agree with that?

Of coarse he is part of the problem. He was the darn GM and President.

Actually, the response he gives to Jeff are extremely accurate and I agree with all of it. Although what he doesn't seem to give credence to is the 5 years of futility record-wise which Ralph has no choice but to address by firing the man responsible. Hence, TD is gone....

Brandon (Buffalo): Would the Bills be better off starting fresh by firing Mularkey and replace him with one of the recently fired head coaches with more experience? Donahoe is only part of the problem...

Chris Mortensen: (11:32 AM ET ) I didn't think Donohoe was any of the problem and I think Mularkey should only be removed if there is a strong philosophcal difference. If I were a Bills fan, I'd be alarmed by the developments. I really would.

____

Jeff (Flint, MI): Don't you think that Donahoe was at least part of the problem in Buffalo? He took a lot of needless risks on draft day, such as McGahee and Loseman, and let valuable players leave that could have helped them win now, such as Bledsoe and Pat Williams. I'm not saying that I could do any better, but what positives did he bring during his tenure in Buffalo?

Chris Mortensen: (11:42 AM ET ) Again, I don't have the team. But he cleaned up a huge salary cap mess he inherited. He also inherited a terrible QB problem...and Bledsoe was the right bridge until they drafted a young guy. The Bills - and Ralph Wilson concurred - saw Bledsoe has a QB capable of being a 9-7 = now I hear Parcells is concerned about the same thing. Losman has the talent but the Bills counted on their No. 2 ranked defense to help them through. Pat Williams was a financial decision - they offered him a lot of money. He wangted more. They had key injuries on defense. I said this before - sometimes it just ain't your year. By the way, the McGahee pick turned out to be a pretty good one.

552486[/snapback]

We'll know after a few years...maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong

At the end of the chat Mort parted with:

Chris Mortensen: (11:59 AM ET ) Now if you'll excuse me I have to go meet a friend of mine who was recently fired. We're going to see a movie about cowboys in love to cheer him up...

552498[/snapback]

:pirate::ph34r::angry: Bareback Mounting!!!

____

552486[/snapback]

Hmmm.. I don't think our situation on the defensive line had anything to do with injuries. I think it had to do with letting Pat Williams go. Period. I think Mort is right that we let go a quarterback who could give us a 9-7 season-for a quarterback (2 actually) who gave us a 4-12 season. He cleaned up the salary mess by taking a playoff team and turning it into a 4-12 team over 5 years. That is not great work. He appointed two rather disastrous head coaches. He gave us Mike Williams and some pretty anemic drafts.

Shut up Mort. Soon you two will be reunited.

552490[/snapback]

It is my sincere hope that Donahoe and the Buffalo Bills are a complete disconnect. That is the first shoe. Wasting the '06 season to validate the proposition that Mularkey cannot coach (on any level) will be the other shoe to drop.

Jerk (Buffalo): The biggest problem in Buffalo is that the management can't manage. This team should have been developing a QB this year instead of trying to make the playoffs. Everyone in management was trying to save their behind by propping this team up to sell tickets. And now we have nothing, not even a QB to build on next year. ARe they gonna dangle playoffs in our face again or deal with reality?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (11:54 AM ET ) Unfortunately, the fans wouldn't let the Bills develop a young QB. They appropriately considered themselves playoff caliber but when the defense unexpectedly fell apart, the whole thing crumbled. But fans always want it both ways...and so do owners. That's the beast.

WHAT! :pirate:

Mort is the best in the business...but I am alarmed at a 31-49 W/L record in the Donahoe era. Even given 2 years to clean up the salary cap mess (so removing 11-21)--we are 20-28 in the three years hence. Two of the last three years have been almost alarming disappointments.

So Mort--I am already alarmed....I am alarmed that we will not do enough today to change the culture of losing that TD and team have created...I am alarmed we are headed into the abyss as a franchise...the last time we were in this situation Marv Levy was one aspect of the answer--we need more than just Marv Levy today.

Jerk (Buffalo): The biggest problem in Buffalo is that the management can't manage. This team should have been developing a QB this year instead of trying to make the playoffs. Everyone in management was trying to save their behind by propping this team up to sell tickets. And now we have nothing, not even a QB to build on next year. ARe they gonna dangle playoffs in our face again or deal with reality?

SportsNation Chris Mortensen: (11:54 AM ET ) Unfortunately, the fans wouldn't let the Bills develop a young QB. They appropriately considered themselves playoff caliber but when the defense unexpectedly fell apart, the whole thing crumbled. But fans always want it both ways...and so do owners. That's the beast.

WHAT! :pirate:

552539[/snapback]

If by fans, mort means whiny vets and a yellow bellied turd for an HC, then yes his statement is true...

552499[/snapback]

An analogy:

I have a septic system problem. I call someone who does work in this field. He says it needs to be replaced. They dig the trench really well. They have all the tools and materials assembled at the site. I go to work and come back to find the soil all back in place and the yard beautifully landscaped.

But I go inside and the sh-- is backing up into the sink, toilet and shower b/c the pipes weren't connected.

You're arguing that this person shouldn't be fired?

Yes, TD did some things really right. But he did some things really wrong.