In defense of Mularkey

Tolstoy

You can't be serious.

You won't be happy unless the Bills find somebody who is better than the world's best coach?!

That's just preposterous.

552072[/snapback]

in my opinion, he outcoached belichick in the first pats game this year. and the outcome may have been different if the refs call an absolutely bogus interference penalty on moulds after asante samuel's excellent acting job. that sort of call never happens at that point of the game anyway.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mularkey should be fired for the single fact that he started Holcomb ahead

of Losman to win a  meaningless game... and that backfired.....

552137[/snapback]

or how about running instaed of kneeling in the KC game, then the fumble, sheesh that thing had Pisarchick written all over it. I kinda like MM, but that one decision made me question whether he really has the wherewithal to be a HC.

Yeah and if he'd have put an injured Losman out there and JP further injured either his throwing shoulder or his leg, you people would be screeching over and over again about how he should be fired because he risked our franchise QB in a meaningless game.  :pirate:

552144[/snapback]

You got your facts wrong....Losman was not injured for the final game...He

was not on the injuly report.

Two big reasons that are enough alone to warrant firing Mularkey:

* I cannot recall ONE adjustment made at halftime or during a game this season that worked! Not one.

* Mularkey made at least two dozen questionable play calls this year that went bad. I understand the "if only it had worked" argument, but when pretty much every call goes bad -- the coach needs to change the way he does business. He didn't change, so Ralph Wilson should be making the change.

Two big reasons that are enough alone to warrant firing Donahoe:

* Gregg Williams (especially allowing his to keep Killdrive)

* Mularkey (I think the draft/free agent pick-ups many here complain about should be pinned on Mularkey, as I believe TD asked MM what he needed, and I believe TD delivered those needs, but MM couldn't hold up his end)

in my opinion, he outcoached belichick in the first pats game this year. and the outcome may have been different if the refs call an absolutely bogus interference penalty on moulds after asante samuel's excellent acting job. that sort of call never happens at that point of the game anyway.

552211[/snapback]

How about the other 3 Games where he absolutely got his ass handed to him? And saying he outcoached Belichick when his Team gave up a 16-7 lead with 12 minutes left in the 4th Quarter is debatable...I think you can say he outcoached Belichick for the 1st 3 Quarters...Like he outcoahed Saban for the 1st 3 Quarters at Miami...These dang rules...If a Game was only 3 Quarters long MM would be well on his way to Coaching Immortality... :pirate:

I hope, if in fact he stays, MM improves and becomes the Coach some of you believe he already is...I really do...I just dont think he's got it...Maybe it's the sting of losing lingering on and on, but I can't help but feel 2006 is going to be a wasted Season even before it's begun with MM at the helm...I hope I'm wrong...

Losman was not injured for the final game

Yes he was. He injured his throwing shoulder and his leg 2 weeks earlier and couldn't even practice until a couple days before the game.

But Mularkey should have definitely gone with the injured young QB who hadn't even been able to practice the week before the meaningless final game. :pirate:

Brilliant.

Yes he was. He injured his throwing shoulder and his leg 2 weeks earlier and couldn't even practice until a couple days before the game.

But Mularkey should have definitely gone with the injured young QB who hadn't even been able to practice the week before the meaningless final game.  :pirate:

Brilliant.

552251[/snapback]

Please look up the IR for week17....Lolsman is listed as Probable, which in

NFL parlance...is ready to play....Mike himself said in his PC that Losman

was ready....Starting Holcomb on week17 had nothing to do with Losman

non-injury.

NFL parlance...is ready to play....Mike himself said in his PC that Losman

was ready....Starting Holcomb on week17 had nothing to do with Losman

non-injury.

552264[/snapback]

read bob dicesare's column today. he's dead on this time - losman is just not ready and not capable of running a multidimensional nfl offense. he may be 2 years from now, but right now holcomb is an infinitely better qb. as for why holcomb should have started, he's capable of sustaining drives and distributing the ball across the offense. lest you forget, many of those players are young and will be playing for buffalo next year. they also need to showcase their skills, which is tough to do when losman is leading to 3 and out after 3 and out and locking in on one or 2 receivers.

We know that as teh HC, he shouldn't have to be calling the offense. But I certainly don't know that he isn't qualified to be calling hte offense.

Considering that in his brief career he's twice called a top5 NFL offense, and in those 2 years he was working with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox under center, I think it's silly to say that he can't call a game.

As for this year, I think I'd be more inclined to hold judgement until we see what he could do if he wasn't saddled with a rookie QB and a "franchise" back who's about 30th in the NFL in yards/carry.

552048[/snapback]

Umm, while his franchise back was shredding the Jets he put the game in the hands of a guy who had tossed 3 INTS by the midpoint of the second quarter. His franchise back gains 12 yards on a catch and he never calls his number for a pass again. Instead he takes the franchise back out in the most crucial situations. That's all I need to know. Mularkey's play-calling and team management is for sh--.

NFL parlance...is ready to play....

I couldn't give a rat's ass what coaches put in ther injury reports; it's never been anything more than bull sh-- subterfuge anyways.

Losman was injured (not hurt, injured), and there was nothing to be gained by throwing him out there with little practice or preparation time.

You're just frustrated by a painful Bills season and like the rest of the "off with thier heads" crowd, will take any situation, ignore facts and spin it into some far-fetched reason why everybody should be fired.

read bob dicesare's column today. he's dead on this time - losman is just not ready and not capable of running a multidimensional nfl offense. he may be 2 years from now, but right now holcomb is an infinitely better qb.  as for why holcomb should have started, he's capable of sustaining drives and distributing the ball across the offense. lest you forget, many of those players are young and will be playing for buffalo next year. they also need to showcase their skills, which is tough to do when losman is leading to 3 and out after 3 and out and locking in on one or 2 receivers.

552269[/snapback]

Go back and watch the tape of the KC game and tell me Losman is not capable of running an offense. He hit multiple receivers and can hit the home runs that Holcomb can't.

Umm, while his franchise back was shredding the Jets he put the game in the hands of a  guy who had tossed 3 INTS by the midpoint of the second quarter.  His franchise back gains 12 yards on a catch and he never calls his number for a pass again.  Instead he takes the franchise back out in the most crucial situations.  That's all I need to know.  Mularkey's play-calling and team management is for sh--.

552271[/snapback]

willis took himself out for one play because he was tired.

Go back and watch the tape of the KC game and tell me Losman is not capable of running an offense.  He hit multiple receivers and can hit the home runs that Holcomb can't.

552279[/snapback]

he hit 2 home runs and pretty much nothing else. also, kc's defense pretty much sucks. no doubt, losman has a better arm - it's favre-like, actually. but a qb with a cannon arm minus an ability to read a defense and distribute the ball will kill a team. he's got to learn.

I couldn't give a rat's ass what coaches put in ther injury reports; it's never been anything more than bull sh-- subterfuge anyways.

Losman was injured (not hurt, injured), and there was nothing to be gained by throwing him out there with little practice or preparation time.

You're just frustrated by a painful Bills season and like the rest of the "off with thier heads" crowd, will take any situation, ignore facts and spin it into some far-fetched reason why everybody should be fired.

552277[/snapback]

Preach it brother!

he hit 2 home runs and pretty much nothing else. also, kc's defense pretty much sucks.  no doubt, losman has a better arm - it's favre-like, actually. but a qb with a cannon arm minus an ability to read a defense and distribute the ball will kill a team. he's got to learn.

552287[/snapback]

I'm sure he's learning a lot watching noodle-arm lob four picks.

Go back and watch the tape of the KC game and tell me Losman is not capable of running an offense.  He hit multiple receivers and can hit the home runs that Holcomb can't.

552279[/snapback]

or the game against Miami.....

Bottomline is this coaching staff did not put a young QB in a position to

succeed...by running the ball and playing smash-mouth-football.....If this

team took care of punching the ball in the redzone, and covnerted all those

FGs to TDs, we would have won more than 5 games...

552279[/snapback]

O.k.

Losman was not running an effective NFL offense this year.... hitting less than 50% of his passes.

JDG

willis took himself out for one play because he was tired.

552282[/snapback]

He took a spell for a play when they were running hurry-up. That's OK IMO. And this to me points the problem more to Mularkey's choice of strength and conditioning coach than to McGahee. None of these guys can finish a game strong.

That still doesn't mean you take him out every third down.

Oh, please. If NE had Weis calling the plays in that game, their RBs would have gotten about 15 more carries in the first half, that we would not have been able to stop, and it would have resembled the 2nd Pats game.

Point is, MM was on his way out of Pitt when TD hired him. Cowher was sick and tired of his ridiculous, gimmick-play offense. Just as we are now sick and tired of his ridiculous, gimmick-play offense. Since MM left Pittsburgh, the Steelers are 27-7 and have run the ball more than any team in the modern era.

I was at the Jets game, McGahee goes for 17 yards, 1st and 10 at the Jet 34, 4 min to play. McGahee never gets another carry. We could have run for 200 yards that day but MM was too stupid (stubborn?) to simply run the ball. He wants to trick you and show everyone how smart he is. Remember 4th and 3 last year against NE??? Bledsoe bootleg?? His quote was that the Pats would never expect it. Of course not, because its moronic.

Point is, he either needs to get an OC who believes in pounding the ball, controlling the clock and allowing a well-rested D to give you the ball back, or get out of town.