In defense of Mularkey

Tolstoy

or the game against Miami.....

Bottomline is this coaching staff did not put a young QB in a position to

succeed...by running the ball and playing smash-mouth-football.....If this

team took care of punching the ball in the redzone, and covnerted all those

FGs to TDs, we would have won more than 5 games...

552303[/snapback]

EXACTLY. This has been the #1 problem for this entire team. Mularkey has NOT put the players in a position to succeed, nor have most of his assistants. It goes from the top-down. Willis needs X number of carries to succeed. The line needs consistency for anyone to succeed. JP needs a certain number of designed plays and passes to his running backs to succeed. The DBs need to play press coverage instead of giving the opposing WRs a soft 10 yards to succeed.

This all reeks of poor gameday acumen on the part of this staff.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, please.  If NE had Weis calling the plays in that game, their RBs would have gotten about 15 more carries in the first half, that we would not have been able to stop, and it would have resembled the 2nd Pats game.

Point is, MM was on his way out of Pitt when TD hired him.  Cowher was sick and tired of his ridiculous, gimmick-play offense.  Just as we are now sick and tired of his ridiculous, gimmick-play offense.  Since MM left Pittsburgh, the Steelers are 27-7 and have run the ball more than any team in the modern era. 

I was at the Jets game, McGahee goes for 17 yards, 1st and 10 at the Jet 34, 4 min to play.  McGahee never gets another carry.  We could have run for 200 yards that day but MM was too stupid (stubborn?) to simply run the ball.  He wants to trick you and show everyone how smart he is.  Remember 4th and 3 last year against NE??? Bledsoe bootleg??  His quote was that the Pats would never expect it.  Of course not, because its moronic.

Point is, he either needs to get an OC who believes in pounding the ball, controlling the clock and allowing a well-rested D to give you the ball back, or get out of town.

552315[/snapback]

re the story about mularkey being on his way out, that's not true. as i recall, it was a pft generated story that was proven wrong after it came out that the steelers were preparing to offer him a contract extension (this came out after the bills hired him).

O.k.

Losman was not running an effective NFL offense this year.... hitting less than 50% of his passes.

JDG

552310[/snapback]

or MM was incapable of designing an offense around a young QB... take your pick.

Can this be reasonably translated to "Can he do it without an offensive line"? Cuz that's really the only difference I see between us and the Stiller teams he had rolling over people. Both had marginally effective QB's, big power backs, a quality WR corps, TE's who are better blockers than routerunners, etc.

If you give him an effective OLine to work with, I think he's innovative and fluid enough to work with whatever he has behind it. But if you stick him with that injury-riddled, ineffective, flag-magnet of an OLine he had this year, then I don't think he can be effective. But then again, who can? ..... besides Belichik.

552133[/snapback]

A number of people here have suggested that Mularkey was hamstrung by our woeful OLine and the terrible play of Losman.

O.k., sure, maybe those things kept us from being a Playoff team this year, particularly with our schedule.

But can those things really excused being the *worst* offense in the modern era of the Buffalo Bills (16 game schedule) - worse than 2-14 years, worse than Todd Collins, worse than the 3-13 RJ year???? If Mularkey was good, he would have taken bad talent and at least managed below average - if not maybe even reasonably competent.

In the end, in Mularkey's second year, our offense was the worst in team history and our defense ranked dead last in the NFL in the critical departments of 3rd Down and in the Red Zone. Even conceding that the Bills are relatively talent-poor, I don't think I am being knee-jerk in saying that plumbing those depths reflects very badly on Mularkey. We weren't just bad this year - we were superlatively bad.

JDG

Someone else mentioned this as well. The big problem was the players conditioning. MM hired one of his pals from Pittburgh to be the S&C coach. This was allegedly the big problem at the meeting yesterday.

Willis McGahee was up to 230lb. It has been said he put on too much muscle. No wonder he didn't play on third downs, took himself out late in games because he was tired, didn't break any long runs and had only one 100 yard game the last half of the season. He was too big and wore down too quickly.

Spikes said his achillies was bothering him for a couple weeks yet they let him continue to play on it before he blew it out.

Why were the Bills so good in the first half of games and so bad in the 2nd?

Everyone says it was beacuse MM scripted the first drive and then couldn't adjust or think on the fly. How about the team was in poor condition and wilted late in games? Three TD lead in Miami- blew it late in the game, a lead in New England- blew it late in the game. A lead in the 4th quarter against Carolina- blew it on one long TD drive by Carolina. Played Denver close for a half. They didn't show up for games in Oakland & San Diego. Why? They were too tired. The travel to the west coast wiped out a poorly conditioned team before the game even started. They got smoked in Tampa. Why? Too hot. Poorly conditioned, the heat & humidity killed them early. That's my theory anyways.

You're exactly right, and he can learn on the bench, from KH who can teach him a lot of things he needs to pick up before he can start in the NFL.

he hit 2 home runs and pretty much nothing else. also, kc's defense pretty much sucks.  no doubt, losman has a better arm - it's favre-like, actually. but a qb with a cannon arm minus an ability to read a defense and distribute the ball will kill a team. he's got to learn.

552287[/snapback]

I couldn't give a rat's ass what coaches put in ther injury reports; it's never been anything more than bull sh-- subterfuge anyways.

Losman was injured (not hurt, injured), and there was nothing to be gained by throwing him out there with little practice or preparation time.

You're just frustrated by a painful Bills season and like the rest of the "off with thier heads" crowd, will take any situation, ignore facts and spin it into some far-fetched reason why everybody should be fired.

552277[/snapback]

Wow...a Mularkey Apologist. :ph34r:

:pirate: