Bills move McGahee to land top prize Bush...

COACH85

I would love to see the Bills package one of their 3rd round picks with McGahee for the top spot to land Reggie Bush.

I know you might be thinking thats crazy but as a Bills fan, I have been disappointed that McGahee hasn't taken his talent to the next level and is not a threat to break a long touchdown run as proven by these past two seasons.

His knee still scares me as well since I still can't believe he made it back from that first major injury.

Bush looks like the next Barry Sanders and if we can get an offensive line with some key free agents and draft, Bush is am easily 2000 yard All-Purpose back (running and receiving). Heck, he's a threat to break one every time he touches the ball.

Yes, we will have to pay a huge signing bonus and take a salary cap hit but for a dream player like Bush who will be the most exciting player on the field and fill Bills seats year after year..............I say go for it.

Why would the Texans possibly take a chance on a trade like this. Maybe because McGahee is a proven tough back and they need help all over the field so stacking draft choices and signing big free agents is more important to them then trying to sign one player to a large contract. Besides, they already have a good diminutive back in Dom. Davis who would probably take over 3rd down plays. Davis is also prone to injury so thats another reason why I can see the Texans interested in a big back like McGahee. What do you all think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Can you imagine what drafting Bush would do for our franchise.

You think Bledsoe was a big acquistion at the time?

Bush would probably put Bills merchandise/jerseys toward the top of the list in the entire NFL which is an area we've been lacking in for sometime. A player like Bush has that kind of impact.

I would love to see the Bills package one of their 3rd round picks with McGahee for the top spot to land Reggie Bush. 

I know you might be thinking thats crazy but as a Bills fan, I have been disappointed that McGahee hasn't taken his talent to the next level and is not a threat to break a long touchdown run as proven by these past two seasons. 

His knee still scares me as well since I still can't believe he made it back from that first major injury.

Bush looks like the next Barry Sanders and if we can get an offensive line with some key free agents and draft, Bush is am easily 2000 yard All-Purpose back (running and receiving).  Heck, he's a threat to break one every time he touches the ball.

Yes, we will have to pay a huge signing bonus and take a salary cap hit but for a dream player like Bush who will be the most exciting player on the field and fill Bills seats year after year..............I say go for it.

Why would the Texans possibly take a chance on a trade like this.  Maybe because McGahee is a proven tough back and they need help all over the field so stacking draft choices and signing big free agents is more important to them then trying to sign one player to a large contract.  Besides, they already have a good diminutive back in Dom. Davis who would probably take over 3rd down plays.  Davis is also prone to injury so thats another reason why I can see the Texans interested in a big back like McGahee.  What do you all think?

548293[/snapback]

Bush looks like the next Barry Sanders and if we can get an offensive line with some key free agents and draft, Bush is am easily 2000 yard All-Purpose back (running and receiving).  Heck, he's a threat to break one every time he touches the ball.

Why would the Texans possibly take a chance on a trade like this.  Maybe because McGahee is a proven tough back and they need help all over the field so stacking draft choices and signing big free agents is more important to them then trying to sign one player to a large contract.  Besides, they already have a good diminutive back in Dom. Davis who would probably take over 3rd down plays.  Davis is also prone to injury so thats another reason why I can see the Texans interested in a big back like McGahee.  What do you all think?

548293[/snapback]

To get Reggie Bush we'd have to throw in our first rounder from this year as well. The Texans aren't going to go for an offer like that.

Please! Willis a proven back? What has he proven? He can't break the big play, he can't block and hasn't averaged more the 3.9 ypc in his career. I don't see him as a buffalo bill too much longer because he is a lot of hype just like NC and the rest of this team coming into this season.

First two seasons in the league over a 1,100 yards each year with a below average line blocking for him and below average passing game which leads to defenses stacking the line of scrimmage?? Yeah, your right...............McGahee isn't a proven back. Good one Sherlock!

Please! Willis a proven back? What has he proven? He can't break the big play, he can't block and hasn't averaged more the 3.9 ypc in his career. I don't see him as a buffalo bill too much longer because he is a lot of hype just like NC and the rest of this team coming into this season.

548308[/snapback]

I don't think there is any way it happens, but just throwing it out there:

McGahee

1st

3rd

Would Houston take that?  Both 3rds?

I wouldn't give up so many picks...not for a RB, just curious.

548358[/snapback]

I agree that it will not happen, and to answer your question.....no, I don't think that the offer is high enough even in your scenario.

Look back to the Chargers/Falcons trade that involved Vick. If I recall, Atlanta gave up more than that. I am almost sure that they gave a third and the following season's first, along with at least 1 player (Tim Dwight?).

Also, they were moving from the 5th spot, and we select 8th.

First two seasons in the league over a 1,100 yards each year with a below average line blocking for him and below average passing game which leads to defenses stacking the line of scrimmage??  Yeah, your right...............McGahee isn't a proven back.  Good one Sherlock!

548325[/snapback]

Here we go "Coach" 1,200 yards this season is not as impressive as his 1,100 in 11 starts last year. Last year he was fantastic but he's been the biggest disappointment this season on the offensive side of the ball. Willis is not a big play threat, he doesn't break tackles and certainly isn't a top 10 back in this league. Of the top 30 rushers this season only Lamont Jordan and Jamal Lewis had long runs this season shorter than Willis' 27 yarder. While i think willis is a good back, right now he's nothing more than a louder version of travis henry. His stats are comparable to TH but TH never opened his mouth wide enough to stick both feet in like willis did earlier this season. I think willis can be a very good back in this league and yes the o-line needs to improve, but willis is not the elite back that some would leave you to believe. He's just a work horse. The elite backs like Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Larry Johnson, and LT change games, willis simply does not do that he pounds the ball and rips off the occasional 7-yarder.

I agree that McGahee has not proven himself yet and the idea of getting a #1 pick RB in here is very exciting.

That said, I have a question, how high can he jump? ;)

Since he will be running into an almost 80" high vertical wall, how well can he perform? Buffalo already proved that it was the OL, not the QB or RB alone, that was the problem.

Would Bush with no OL help be effective?

In 2005 the Bills have the fewest offensive yards in a 16 game non-strike season - the last time to plunge this low was the 2-14 Bills in 1984! :lol:

McGahee

1st

3rd

548358[/snapback]

The Bills have to stop throwing away draft picks because that is what has gotten them into the trouble they are in today. Willis will be fine with a better line, better coaching staff, and if he loses 20 pounds. Also, great running backs aren't always the answer, look at LT, Barry Sanders, OJ, Earl Campbell etc. The Bills are good enough in that department, they have bigger holes to fill and they have a lot of them, thus giving away 1st rounders is not a good idea. Bush will sell tickets and get early headlines on ESPN, but even he would not produce behind our current line.

548293[/snapback]

I've been getting flamed for a while now about wanting to see Bush in Buffalo. It could have happened too....

But not after we won the Cinci game.

We would have needed to lose against Cinci AND the Jets and packaged a lot to get from 3-1.

In 2004, the Giants had to trade the 4th pick (Philip Rivers), their 2nd pick, their 5th pick, and their 1st rounder in 2005 to get Manning. It's going to cost at least that to get Bush. McGahee would get us at BEST a low-1st or a high-2nd.

The Texans don't need a RB. They have Domanick Davis, David Carr, Andre Johnson, and Dunta Robinson. They need EVERYTHING else. The thing is Reggie Bush is just too good to pass on. If they're trading away their pick, they aren't doing it for a RB. They'd trade down to pick up more picks and draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The Brick won't be there for our pick, so they wouldn't trade to us.

The Bills have to stop throwing away draft picks because that is what has gotten them into the trouble they are in today. Willis will be fine with a better line, better coaching staff, and if he loses 20 pounds. Also, great running backs aren't always the answer, look at LT, Barry Sanders, OJ, Earl Campbell etc. The Bills are good enough in that department, they have bigger holes to fill and they have a lot of them, thus giving away 1st rounders is not a good idea. Bush will sell tickets and get early headlines on ESPN, but even he would not produce behind our current line.

548401[/snapback]

Did you read the post?

I'd trade willis, our first rounder and a third to get the top overall pick. Willis has proven that he isn't a great back by his attitude and his lack of production this year. He'll probably be a decent back at some point, probably like top 10-15 but that is about it. Where bush has the chance to be great. It would be a great chance to upgrade a position that needs to be upgraded.

McGahee

1st

3rd

548358[/snapback]

No, it wouldn't. Here's my scenario to land Bush and the odds of this happening are 1,000,000,000 to 1:

1.) Franchise Nate and trade him for a LATE 1st.

2.) Trade Willis for a 2nd (and that's pushing it).

Then our draft would look like this:

1.) (#8)

1.) (LATE for Nate)

2.)

2.) (For Willis)

3.) (For Travis)

3.)

3.) (Comp. for Pat Williams.... maybe)

From there we'd have to trade a LOT to convince Houston to go from #1 to #8. The trade would have to be something like this:

The #8 pick overall

Our other LATE 1st for Nate

A 2nd

A 3rd

Our 1st in 2007

Now the question remains, which member of the board reading this would want to do that? Mind you, we'd still have a pretty normal looking draft:

1.) Reggie Bush

2.)

3.)

3.) (MAYBE)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

I'd trade McGahee for a 1st round pick regardless of where it is. Everyone knows his agent is going to demand a bigger contract this offseason or WM will holdout. A distraction the Bills do not need. Throw that in with the fact he has never broken a long run, doesn't play on third downs and according to him, gets too tired late in the game and takes himself out in key spots and if there is a plan to get a RB somewhere than I am all for trading WM. Just add a RB to the list of needs.

Reggie Bush was a great college player- maybe the best of all-time but how does that translate into the NFL? Nobody knows. Could he be had for McGahee, a 3rd round draft pick in 06' and a first round pick in 07"? Couldn't hurt to make the offer to Houston.

I would get as many draft picks as possible this year. Every single player on the roster is tradeable at this point in my opinion. Blow it up and start over

My comment was directed at your "unproven" statement. We have the worst OL in the league with one of the worst rated passing offenses to go with it. He still put up 1,200 yards and based on that alone and being the 10th ranked rusher in the league with everything going against him, I would say yes he is "proven".

Of course he wasn't as impressive this year as last, Bledsoe was at least a marginal downfield threat compared to Losman/Holcomb and our OL regressed.

How did you expect him to improve when every single defense stacked the line of scrimmage with 8,9,10 men in the box. Don't you know football? Ask any GM if they think McGahee is a proven running back or not.

On the other note, I disagree with the statement Bush won't do anything behind our OL. One thing Bush does that McGahee doesn't is make people miss and Bush is an incredible receiver out of the backfield. That alone opens up our passing game because he would draw coverage to wherever he is on the field. Besides, I have to believe that OL help will be acquired this offseason after neglecting it during the TD era. Even if we could get Houston to accept a 2nd rounder with McGahee for the top pick I would do it. Although I think Bush is definitely the real deal, some NFL personnel might feel more comfortable with a proven NFL back with a much lower salary and extra draft picks with so many needs by the Texans.

Haven't you ever seen high draft picks like KiJana Carter and Blair Thomas be complete busts??? Some people might be a tiny bit skeptical with Bush since they haven't seen him against NFL competition and that huge signing bonus can scare some people away. Unlike the Texans, I don't think the Bills are that far off from being a major playoff player. Take a small cap hit but free up space by releasing Moulds, M. Williams, Posey, Vincent and Milloy. Sign some good free agents at alot less money and draft well. Fill our needs in the trenches (OL and DL). Crowell can take Poseys' spot. Baker is ready to take over one of the safety positions. Our QB play should be improved with more protection and experience for Losman. We might have to go through one more down year but I really see this team fighting for a Super Bowl birth in 2007 with Bush/Losman/Evans leading the way. Our new triplets!

Here we go "Coach" 1,200 yards this season is not as impressive as his 1,100 in 11 starts last year. Last year he was fantastic but he's been the biggest disappointment this season on the offensive side of the ball. Willis is not a big play threat, he doesn't break tackles and certainly isn't a top 10 back in this league. Of the top 30 rushers this season only Lamont Jordan and Jamal Lewis had long runs this season shorter than Willis' 27 yarder.  While i think willis is a good back, right now he's nothing more than a louder version of travis henry.  His stats are comparable to TH but TH never opened his mouth wide enough to stick both feet in like willis did earlier this season.  I think willis can be a very good back in this league and yes the o-line needs to improve, but willis is not the elite back that some would leave you to believe. He's just a work horse. The elite backs like Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Larry Johnson, and LT change games, willis simply does not do that he pounds the ball and rips off the occasional 7-yarder.

548376[/snapback]