my observations from the 35-yard line

UB2SF

It was a glorious day for a football game in Oakland, except for that loud sucking sound eminating from our offense. Some observations:

- I saw a decent amount of positive interaction between Travis and Willis on the sidelines and during substitutions. Looks like the "rift" is much more a media creation than a reality.

- Coy Wire looked totally lost on a lot of plays, as usual -- poor tackling angles, uncertainty about his assignments. I decided to watch him on one play, and I saw him do a full 360 in the process of finding the ball carrier. Oy.

- Speaking of safeties... Rashad Baker, what on earth are you doing on our roster?

- That shot to the head that Bledsoe took was vicious -- he had already thrown the ball and was totally defenseless. A flag on that play would have had a significant effect on the game.

- The Oakland Coliseum wasn't as intimidating a place as it's made out to be... although I heard more screams of profanity there than any time since I saw Sam Kinison in concert at UB in the late 80s!

i was pissed that we didn't get an UR penalty. It was clearly a cheap shot. The Refs helped the Raiders all day. But I was more pissed to see Drew laughing on the sidelines a few minutes later, as if it's okay that he hadn't done a damn thing all day.

I was even more pissed that they sent him back out there with a mild concussion to try to win the game. Drew couldn't have done it without the concussion, so what the fug were they thinking?

My disappointment extends to Mularkey. He's saying all the same damn things that we heard from Gregggg. I can't stand it, and nobody should have to listen to it.

Guest Guest_dan_*
- Coy Wire looked totally lost on a lot of plays, as usual -- poor tackling angles, uncertainty about his assignments.  I decided to watch him on one play, and I saw him do a full 360 in the process of finding the ball carrier.  Oy.

38787[/snapback]

Didn't we come to that conclusion about 2 years ago?

Where are the people on this board who were calling for Milloy's headlast year and calling for Wire to replace him? Coy Wire is a great guy and a good special teams player--that is it. He is a liability as a safety. He plays hard but is just not quick/fast enough to play at a competitive level.

i was pissed that we didn't get an UR penalty. It was clearly a cheap shot. The Refs helped the Raiders all day. But I was more pissed to see Drew laughing on the sidelines a few minutes later, as if it's okay that he hadn't done a damn thing all day.

I was even more pissed that they sent him back out there with a mild concussion to try to win the game. Drew couldn't have done it without the concussion, so what the fug were they thinking?

My disappointment extends to Mularkey. He's saying all the same damn things that we heard from Gregggg. I can't stand it, and nobody should have to listen to it.

38809[/snapback]

Just out of curiousity, what would you like to hear Mularky say? Seriously, the guy isn't going to say his starting QB sucks and the team has no hope. Any HQ that encounters these troubles would pretty much sound the same...the thing I'm most disapointed in Mularkey for is the fact that he's coaching a team that is having the exact same problems that got the previous coach fired.

It was a glorious day for a football game in Oakland, except for that loud sucking sound eminating from our offense.  Some observations:

- I saw a decent amount of positive interaction between Travis and Willis on the sidelines and during substitutions.  Looks like the "rift" is much more a media creation than a reality.

- Coy Wire looked totally lost on a lot of plays, as usual -- poor tackling angles, uncertainty about his assignments.  I decided to watch him on one play, and I saw him do a full 360 in the process of finding the ball carrier.  Oy.

- Speaking of safeties... Rashad Baker, what on earth are you doing on our roster?

- That shot to the head that Bledsoe took was vicious -- he had already thrown the ball and was totally defenseless.  A flag on that play would have had a significant effect on the game.

- The Oakland Coliseum wasn't as intimidating a place as it's made out to be... although I heard more screams of profanity there than any time since I saw Sam Kinison in concert at UB in the late 80s!

38787[/snapback]

I was there too. It was about as nice of a day as you can get except for the loss. The Raider fans were way more mellow than I expected. The frustrating thing for me was focusing on the receivers, seeing them open and then having Drew sacked. Painful.

---------

Go Bills

Guest Guest_dan_*
Just out of curiousity, what would you like to hear Mularky say?  Seriously, the guy isn't going to say his starting QB sucks and the team has no hope.  Any HQ that encounters these troubles would pretty much sound the same...the thing I'm most disapointed in Mularkey for is the fact that he's coaching a team that is having the exact same problems that got the previous coach fired.

38877[/snapback]

I'd like to hear him say the truth....

Step up to the mike.. Look someone in the eye. And say "We just got our ass handed to us today. We made mistakes in every phase of the game. At this moment, I'm not sure any of the players or coaches in that locker room - myself included - deserve to walk onto a football field again. But... I'm gonna get back there now and work my ass off for 2 weeks and see if I can't turn some of that around." Then walk off the podium.

Baker is a rookie.  He has an excuse.  Wire doesn't.

38792[/snapback]

OK, maybe Baker has an excuse. But does Jerry Gray have an excuse for putting Baker on an island, only to bite on a Gannon pump-fake?

:doh:

And I'm sorry, but I don't think Baker has an excuse for watching a perfect onside kick bounce over his not-fully-outstretched arms -- he coulda/woulda/shoulda caught the ball in mid-air and ran untouched for 6.

OK, maybe Baker has an excuse.  But does Jerry Gray have an excuse for putting Baker on an island, only to bite on a Gannon pump-fake?

And I'm sorry, but I don't think Baker has an excuse for watching a perfect onside kick bounce over his not-fully-outstretched arms -- he coulda/woulda/shoulda caught the ball in mid-air and ran untouched for 6.

39016[/snapback]

Your avatar is idiotic.... :doh:

It was a glorious day for a football game in Oakland, except for that loud sucking sound eminating from our offense.  Some observations:

- I saw a decent amount of positive interaction between Travis and Willis on the sidelines and during substitutions.  Looks like the "rift" is much more a media creation than a reality.

- That shot to the head that Bledsoe took was vicious -- he had already thrown the ball and was totally defenseless.  A flag on that play would have had a significant effect on the game.

38787[/snapback]

Good insight. Hey...I was at that Kinison show. What a freaking riot that was. I loved that guy.

I had the same comments about Coy Wire during the pre-season on this board...and got absolutely flamed!!! In fact, there were several posters that guaranteed 3 - 4 interceptions from him this year. I have said it before and I am sure that I will have to say it again...Coy is a very good special teams player - no more, no less. He does NOT have the natural instincts to be a good safety in this league.

38787[/snapback]

If #82 would have caught the pass Bledsoe flipped to him as he was about to get creamed, it would have had the same effect. The officials sucked, but ultimately the mistake was calling for a pass play with Josh Reed on the field.

Where are the people on this board who were calling for Milloy's headlast year and calling for Wire to replace him?  Coy Wire is a great guy and a good special teams player--that is it.  He is a liability as a safety.  He plays hard but is just not quick/fast enough to play at a competitive level.

38876[/snapback]

LOL, I've been saying that since his rookie year! Where have you been?

I cut him some slack but in the last 2 years he hasn't improved and has no idea what is going on! Did he really go to Stanford? :doh:

He is most definitely a liability and shouldn't take a roster spot from someone who WANTS to play here and is competently capable!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Wire, you're a waste and you'll never amount to anything unless you take your head out of your ass!