This team is so !@#$ed.

- LB corps should be back to good form and Crowell provides excellent depth, if not a potential starter

544767[/snapback]

Crowell NEEDS to be a starter and you know who he has to replace: Jeff Posey. In fact his contract extension should cement his role as a starter. Obviously he won't take over for Takeo (assuming Spikes will return to form), but he'll have to slide over to Posey's position. We need to get rid of that Eddie Robinson-like creature. Then and only then we'll have a solid, solid linebackers corp.

Other than that, good observations.

I'm with the people who think Chris Kelsay should go. I think he has done nothing significant since the Texans game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowell NEEDS to be a starter and you know who he has to replace: Jeff Posey. In fact his contract extension should cement his role as a starter. Obviously he won't take over for Takeo (assuming Spikes will return to form), but he'll have to slide over to Posey's position. We need to get rid of that Eddie Robinson-like creature. Then and only then we'll have a solid, solid linebackers corp.

Other than that, good observations.

I'm with the people who think Chris Kelsay should go. I think he has done nothing significant since the Texans game.

544869[/snapback]

Crowell might be a little light in the Butt (save your jokes :blink: ) to play the strong side. Then again, maybe some conditioning changes can help with that. I agree that he needs to be on the field if possible.

I'm of the opinion that you give players at least 3 years to develop, so try an give Kelsay another year and see what happens.

544905[/snapback]

I don't mind Kelsay as depth or as an additional rusher, but he's not a solid every down DE. We need to bring in a big time pass rusher so that we can put better pressure on offenses. I get tired of seeing us flounder around on 3rd downs due to an ineffective pass rush.

I don't mind Kelsay as depth or as an additional rusher, but he's not a solid every down DE.  We need to bring in a big time pass rusher so that we can put better pressure on offenses.  I get tired of seeing us flounder around on 3rd downs due to an ineffective pass rush.

544907[/snapback]

that cap will definitely keep everyones wish list from happening, especially if alot of it is spent grabbing a lightning quick receiver to play the slot with Evans, and Lamar Parrish wide

Who's Lamar Parrish?

544916[/snapback]

Had to ask, didn't you?

It's too bad there isn't a 12 step program to cure internet retardedness. Ooh, wait. I think I just found my capitalistic niche. Now I just have to figure out what to hand out instead of a chip. Open for suggestions.

Suggestion #1

544931[/snapback]

oh :doh: that's all very cute

typo...lamar i guess is just a football parrish easier remembered.....roscoe is the new cat

April 28, 1982 -- DRAFT DAY TRADE GETS BILLS A PRO BOWLER

On the second day of the 1982 NFL draft, the Bills traded their fifth-round pick to the Washington Redskins for eight-time Pro Bowl CB Lamar Parrish.

Well, that's certainly a VA spin on things.

You still haven't addressed how the GM who threw a previous coach under the bus by drafting a player with no knee (at the time) would suddenly acquiesce to 1-yr head coach to draft a mini-me WR (with a mini-me WR already on the team).

In my view the QB carousel points to the coaching staff wanting to keep JP on the bench as much as possible. 

I find it hard to believe that a rookie head coach would have the power inside the organization to convince a megolomaniacal GM and a control freak owner to dump a very high priced QB for a very very very raw QB, who was on PUP for 10 weeks of the season.

544745[/snapback]

While I agree that there is zero chance that Mularkey forced the QB decision on Donahoe - personnel decisions come from the other direction in this organization - I'm not sure about your comment on WR's. I think that Parrish is a unique player, and certainly unique to our roster. I think he was drafted to add a play-making dimension our roster currently lacked. I'm curious as to whom you think he was duplicating? Freddie Smith?

JDG

I think he was drafted to add a play-making dimension our roster currently lacked.  I'm curious as to whom you think he was duplicating?  Freddie Smith?

JDG

544977[/snapback]

i think that by drafting Parrish, Donahoe was trying to duplicate Freddy Prinze.

While I agree that there is zero chance that Mularkey forced the QB decision on Donahoe - personnel decisions come from the other direction in this organization - I'm not sure about your comment on WR's.    I think that Parrish is a unique player, and certainly unique to our roster.  I think he was drafted to add a play-making dimension our roster currently lacked.  I'm curious as to whom you think he was duplicating?  Freddie Smith?

JDG

544977[/snapback]

It was about Fast Freddie, who's been missing in the line-up since 11 came in. I too heard the especially great things that Parrish could bring to this offense. Given a full training camp and stability at QB would help immensely.

However, he better have been head and shoulders ( :doh: ) above everyone else remaining on the Bills draft board to justify that pick, because that's the only rationale where I would see his net value over Smith.

It was about Fast Freddie, who's been missing in the line-up since 11 came in.  I too heard the especially great things that Parrish could bring to this offense.  Given a full training camp and stability at QB would help immensely. 

However, he better have been head and shoulders ( :doh: ) above everyone else remaining on the Bills draft board to justify that pick, because that's the only rationale where I would see his net value over Smith.

545062[/snapback]

Well, Freddie Smith was what, a 7th-round guy? I think that Bills fans have a long history of getting waaaay too excited over late-round WR's (cf. Kwame Cavil, Kamil Loud, Henry Bailey, Drew Haddad), who show occasional flashes of potential. I think it is a safe assumption that Freddie Smith simply doesn't have the physical tools of Roscoe Parrish in a lot of ways. I would expect that Parrish probably is substantially better than Smith in areas like agility and acceleration, that are essential to making plays, but don't appear in draft snap-shots. After all, Freddie Smith is simply an athletic guy, who I think played QB in college, whereas Parrish was a top playmaker for the University of Miami.

I think that Parrish has the potential to be a game-changer.... a guy who will make a couple plays a year that are the difference between winning and losing ball-games. (Sort of how McGee was a game-changer against Cincy this past week.) I think Smith probably would never have been much more than a contributor. In other words, I think that Smith is on the inactive list every week, simply because he just plain isn't very good.

Moreover, at the time, I think that Donahoe was looking at developing a young QB in Losman with a receiving corps that included Evans, a Moulds with a potential contract headache at the end of the season, an incredibly disappointing Josh Reed at the end of his contract, and a bunch of nobodies in Aiken and Smith. Given that draft picks in the 2nd round and below really aren't expected to contribute until their second or third year in the League, Donahoe probably very rightly projected a hole that needed filling at the WR position, and saw an opportunity to grab a potential game-changing playmaker near the bottom of the 2nd round. I think that people get into the expectation that a team's first draftpick should always contribute immediately, but Donahoe was drafting with the #55 overall pick - that's pretty deep down the list!

And has been repeated many times before, there weren't exactly a lot of linemen drafted between Parrish and Everett. Adam Terry is a backup on the "stellar" Baltimore offensive line, Evan Mathis is backing up in Carolina, while Richie Incognito is pulling a Victor Allotey for the Rams. After Everett is Chris Colmer, a backup in Tampa, while the Steelers (there's that team again) might have something in Trai Essex..... maybe. And that's you first-day draftpicks on the OLine that Donahoe had a shot at. The story on the defensive line isn't much better. It just was a bad year to be in the market for linemen, I think, rather than the Defensive Backs that every other team was drafting on the first day.

JDG

I find it hard to believe that a rookie head coach would have the power inside the organization to convince a megolomaniacal GM and a control freak owner to dump a very high priced QB for a very very very raw QB, who was on PUP for 10 weeks of the season.

544745[/snapback]

I agree. This move certainly seemed to be the result of TD's bruised ego.

oh  :doh:  that's all very cute

typo...lamar i guess is just a football parrish easier remembered.....roscoe is the new cat

April 28, 1982 -- DRAFT DAY TRADE GETS BILLS A PRO BOWLER

On the second day of the 1982 NFL draft, the Bills traded their fifth-round pick to the Washington Redskins for eight-time Pro Bowl CB Lamar Parrish.

544937[/snapback]

That's great. You confused Roscoe Parrish with another Parrish drafted before Roscoe was even born, and you think it makes you look like less of an idiot. :(:(:D

Well, Freddie Smith was what, a 7th-round guy?    I think that Bills fans have a long history of getting waaaay too excited over late-round WR's (cf. Kwame Cavil, Kamil Loud, Henry Bailey, Drew Haddad), who show occasional flashes of potential.    I think it is a safe assumption that Freddie Smith simply doesn't have the physical tools of Roscoe Parrish in a lot of ways.  I would expect that Parrish probably is substantially better than Smith in areas like agility and acceleration, that are essential to making plays, but don't appear in draft snap-shots.  After all, Freddie Smith is simply an athletic guy, who I think played QB in college, whereas Parrish was a top playmaker for the University of Miami.

I think that Parrish has the potential to be a game-changer.... a guy who will make a couple plays a year that are the difference between winning and losing ball-games.    (Sort of how McGee was a game-changer against Cincy this past week.)    I think Smith probably would never have been much more than a contributor.  In other words, I think that Smith is on the inactive list every week, simply because he just plain isn't very good.

I think you and I know better than to fall back on the draft selection to gauge the player's performance. No, I'm not ready to proclaim him as the second coming, but the difference between J Smith & the guys that you mentioned is that he has scored a TD in an NFL game. OTOH, other than his 2nd round draft status, Parrish hasn't showed why he shouldn't be benched.

Moreover, at the time, I think that Donahoe was looking at developing a young QB in Losman with a receiving corps that included Evans, a Moulds with a potential contract headache at the end of the season, an incredibly disappointing Josh Reed at the end of his contract, and a bunch of nobodies in Aiken and Smith.    Given that draft picks in the 2nd round and below really aren't expected to contribute until their second or third year in the League, Donahoe probably very rightly projected a hole that needed filling at the WR position, and saw an opportunity to grab a potential game-changing playmaker near the bottom of the 2nd round.  I think that people get into the expectation that a team's first draftpick should always contribute immediately, but Donahoe was drafting with the #55 overall pick - that's pretty deep down the list!

And this is where I disagree. Mid-2nd round picks are absolutely expected to contribute in their first year.

And has been repeated many times before, there weren't exactly a lot of linemen drafted between Parrish and Everett.  Adam Terry is a backup on the "stellar" Baltimore offensive line, Evan Mathis is backing up in Carolina, while Richie Incognito is pulling a Victor Allotey for the Rams.    After Everett is Chris Colmer, a backup in Tampa, while the Steelers (there's that team again) might have something in Trai Essex..... maybe.    And that's you first-day draftpicks on the OLine that Donahoe had a shot at.  The story on the defensive line isn't much better.  It just was a bad year to be in the market for linemen, I think, rather than the Defensive Backs that every other team was drafting on the first day.

JDG

545122[/snapback]

Nowhere did I say that a lineman should have been taken ahead of Parrish, expecially given what was on the board. But the same logic that you applied to looking ahead at the WR corps could be used to look at the weakness of depth at the LB & DB positions. I had to do a double take to remember that Mario Haggan is still on the Bills roster.

And that is the key in looking at the draft board, how much of an improvement would Parrish be to the existing roster vs other available players.

That's great.  You confused Roscoe Parrish with another Parrish drafted before Roscoe was even born, and you think it makes you look like less of an idiot.  :(  :(  :D

545149[/snapback]

:D or maybe i just used lamars name cause who has really heard of roscoe parrish

i doubt you'd be back to throw crap if you really thought i was an idiot :wub:

i'm being hunted by a crap throwing monkey :doh: