Bills #1 Pick

Your logic holds up until you look at who was available at the #55 pick.  Only two OL were taken after Roscoe in Round 2 and neither appear to be impact players (yet).  Now I suppose TD could have traded out of the spot, rather than drafting a smurf WR, but then you're talking about finding a willing dance partner in a 10 minute window.

537876[/snapback]

I would have drafted Alex Smith, the TE.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i'll get bitched at for this, if Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young is available when we pick; we have to take one. They're just too special to pass up. I don't buy into the whole "Leinart will be a bust" thing. Watch his games, watch his accuracy, and his composure. And Young is so Vick-like it's scary. Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine. But if we stay put, you can't go with Ngata, Winston, or other DT's or OL's.

537454[/snapback]

This team can not afford paying any of the three players you list. They are going to want astronomical dollars, will hold out and provide nothing for their first season. QB and RB debates would cause great internal problems ala the RJ and DF debate.

The wisest thing for this team to do would be to trade a top 5 pick for a proven vet and additional draft picks.

Let's see where the pick is when the dust finally settles first. If it's top 10 or so, I still don't think you can go OL the year that you dump MW. But you can and will get good value if you go DL... you need strength in numbers in that unit.

537498[/snapback]

What's your obsession in the Bill's pick when you're nothing but a Pat's Troll?

Excellent pick up on the PR angle to picking OL when you are about to cut your greatest ever OL draft bust.

DT in round one if it's TD.  If not - the PR sensitivity might not matter as much.

If we pick top 5, I might look to trade down in R1 and use the high pick in R2 to move back into the first round.  With 2 3rds already, we might as well double our chances in the first...

537888[/snapback]

If TEflon did a better job of evaluating talent, he could take the best graded player and not worry about his image.

TD is more worried about making the cute pick and finding lightning in the bottle by taking players that have been downgraded due to injury or other circumstances.

As much help as we need on both sides of the line, we can't go with OL or DT with our first pick..... unless of course D'Brickashaw Ferguson is there.

Let's face facts, we're not winning next week. I also have a gut feeling we won't be beating the Jets on the road. We'll probably be favored, but they almost won on the road against Miami and most terrible teams seem to be able to pull out their home finale. Especially against a team as beatable as us.

In my opinion, we are looking at a top 5 pick. Outside of D'Brickashaw, there isn't an O-Lineman or a D-Tackle worth taking in the top 10. Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12. Everyone underneath him isn't worth taking until late 1st. The same can be mentioned about Eric Winston (mid 1st).

As much as i'll get bitched at for this, if Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young is available when we pick; we have to take one. They're just too special to pass up. I don't buy into the whole "Leinart will be a bust" thing. Watch his games, watch his accuracy, and his composure. And Young is so Vick-like it's scary. Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine. But if we stay put, you can't go with Ngata, Winston, or other DT's or OL's.

537454[/snapback]

You captured a dilemma facing the Bills in the draft, but it's still awfully early to be placing value on the players you mentioned.

Ngata is still a player more then capable of getting top 5 considerations with a solid East-West performance, and good combine, but IMO the same can't be said for Vince Young. Young has been great this year, but let’s just say it's a bit premature to be placing him top 5 in this type of draft class. We all know the crapshoot drafting a QB can be, this team needs help all over the place, and I just can't justify scrapping JP and ignoring the needs by rolling the dice on Matt Lienhart, let alone Vince Young. Both would still get killed by this offensive line, and they both would have to overcome giving up 140+ on the ground each game. Drafting another QB just doesn't feel like the best approach to turning this team around.

Two guys you did mention in that group, Reggie Bush and Mario Williams do look to be top 5 locks, and are deserving of consideration. If Bush lasts past the 2nd pick any team would be stupid to pass on him, no matter who they have at RB. Bush looks like a once a decade type player, but I just don't see him making it past 1 and 2 so it won’t matter to Buffalo anyway. As you pointed out Mario Williams should also get some consideration. He plays the opposite side of Schobel, and would really strengthen our DL pass rush. He would also bring some more size at DE, potentially opening the door to a 3-4 defense if we ever find a quality DT.

This team can not afford paying any of the three players you list. They are going to want astronomical dollars, will hold out and provide nothing for their first season. QB and RB debates would cause great internal problems ala the RJ and DF  debate.

The wisest thing for this team to do would be to trade a top 5 pick for a proven vet and additional draft picks.

538038[/snapback]

Eric,

You and I are on the same wavelength......the truth of the matter is we can afford to trade down into the teens and STILL get a player to help us right away.....Ngata is my pick......

I would have drafted Alex Smith, the TE.

537931[/snapback]

Yup.

With the way the game is played today, a top TE helps a lot. Currently, there are 16 or so teams with a spot, or a shot at qualifying for one. Among those, NYG, DAL, WAS, NE, PGH, SD, KC, ATL - half of them - have featured TE's.

After several years of ho-hum, the position is now a hot commodity. Same with C and MLB...

Eric,

You and I are on the same wavelength......the truth of the matter is we can afford to trade down into the teens and STILL get a player to help us right away.....Ngata is my pick......

538350[/snapback]

I can guarantee you that the first 16 draft picks this year will *NOT* all help their teams right away - or indeed, ever.

JDG

Alex Smith, the TE, would not work in Buffalo, because he is a terrible blocker. He is used in two TE sets and goes out most plays. Yes, he gets his share of throws, some of which turn into stats, which impresses the heck out of those whose understanding of football is parroting box scores. Alex Smith was a reach in round 3 and would add virtually nothing to the Bills. He is not a burner deep threat either.

TEs block. Blocking is important, even if it doesn't show in the box score.

Vince Young = Akili Smith.  Bank on it.

538417[/snapback]

Ouch...

Don't know if I would go that far...Akili Smith was no where near the scrambler Vince Young is...not even remotely close...

I see Young as being more of a poor-mans Michael Vick...Not quite the scrambler Vick is, and not quite the Passer...And 3-4 years down the line folks are still wondering if he will ever reach his potential...

Smith was an "All-Time Bust," I just think Young will be more of an "All-Time Tease"

Ouch...

Don't know if I would go that far...Akili Smith was no where near the scrambler Vince Young is...not even remotely close...

I see Young as being more of a poor-mans Michael Vick...Not quite the scrambler Vick is, and not quite the Passer...And 3-4 years down the line folks are still wondering if he will ever reach his potential...

Smith was an "All-Time Bust," I just think Young will be more of an "All-Time Tease"

538466[/snapback]

I agree

Think Aaron Brooks with even more talent but much of the same problems.

Ouch...

538466[/snapback]

Smith probably would not have been much of an NFL qb, but I give the guy credit. He was thrown into the worst circumstances, and one thing about Akili - he was one tough, tough hombre, a decent guy, who always showed up to play and never cried about the beatings he took. Some folks thought he would be a good wr or rb, and I agree.

And when cut, he got 10.6 clean million bucks off of owner Mike Brown. :lol:

Smith probably would not have been much of an NFL qb, but I give the guy credit. He was thrown into the worst circumstances, and one thing about Akili - he was one tough, tough hombre, a decent guy, who always showed up to play and never cried about the beatings he took.  Some folks thought he would be a good wr or rb, and I agree.

And when cut, he got 10.6 clean million bucks off of owner Mike Brown. :lol:

538493[/snapback]

Agreed...I was going to write that if Smith had Young's scrambling ability he would have lasted a lot longer in Cincy... ;)

I agree

Think Aaron Brooks with even more talent but much of the same problems.

538469[/snapback]

Right...I though about Brooks as a comparison, but I think Brooks was a better Passing Prospect coming out...

And I think what is being missed here (by some) is, say what you will about Young, but he is an amazing runner...I mean he is flat out awesome at times (OK can you tell I'm a Michigan Fan... :lol: )...Not that it will help him whatsoever in the NFL...But the Kid can run, there should be no question about that... ;)