Bills #1 Pick

McGee?  Moorman?

McGahee has shown tons of potential (faster player to 2000 yards in Bills history says something, IMHO; he's been slacking the last 4-6 weeks though).

Evans?  Come on, if you put Branch on the list, Evans has to be there (sans the Broncos game); the guy had 3 TDs in one game, compared to Branch's 4 TDs all season.

CW

537658[/snapback]

Evans is like Peerless. He benefits from having Moulds on the other side. Teams don't design their defense to stop him. Mcgahee, the jury is still out. He is good, but not elite yet. Mcgee, sorry he is an adequate #2 corner, which is better then I projected him, but you don't make a return guy an elite player, at least I don't. Plus as much as he has been hurt, he doesn't deserve it even if I did. Moorman, again he is good but there are several others that are better in the AFC alone (Lechler is probably the best). Elite should mean top 5 at your position. I just don't see it with a lot of our guys.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans is like Peerless. He benefits from having Moulds on the other side.  Teams don't design their defense to stop him.  Mcgahee, the jury is still out.  He is good, but not elite yet.  Mcgee, sorry he is an adequate #2 corner, which is better then I projected him, but you don't make a return guy an elite player, at least I don't.  Plus as much as he has been hurt, he doesn't deserve it even if I did.  Moorman, again he is good but there are several others that are better in the AFC alone (Lechler is probably the best).  Elite should mean top 5 at your position.  I just don't see it with a lot of our guys.

537661[/snapback]

Well, are you agreeing with the original poster that Branch is elite then? I'm hoping not, but I'm not 100% sure...

That's my biggest argument -- if Branch is eliete, then our team is stacked.

CW

Evans is like Peerless. He benefits from having Moulds on the other side.  Teams don't design their defense to stop him.  Mcgahee, the jury is still out.  He is good, but not elite yet.  Mcgee, sorry he is an adequate #2 corner, which is better then I projected him, but you don't make a return guy an elite player, at least I don't.  Plus as much as he has been hurt, he doesn't deserve it even if I did.   Moorman, again he is good but there are several others that are better in the AFC alone (Lechler is probably the best).   Elite should mean top 5 at your position.  I just don't see it with a lot of our guys.

537661[/snapback]

Milloy, Vincent, and Adams used to be elite. :D

I would say McGee is elite as a kick returner, though. Tremendous weapon there, always a threat to break it all the way & almost always gives us good field position.

This is the first year he's played. He has three sacks, an INT, a FF, several pass defenses.  He's haredly "always out of position."  He shows a lot of potential.  If JP gets a pass because of his inexperience, why doesn't Crowell?

CW

537659[/snapback]

Fine for an inexperienced guy in his third year, give him a pass all you want, still doesn't make him good. Same goes for JP, he has shown some progress, but he really does suck and is probably the worst starter in the league right now.

And last year Spikes had 5 Int's, 3 sacks, 2 TD's 11 passes defended, more tackles, etc....

The production is a huge dropoff. I don't expect him to be Spikes, but he is making too many tackles from the side and catching players, rather then hitting them head on. That mean he is having troubles getting off blocks or he is out of position.

I say Coles WR (5-7 165 pounds) from Miami, or Winston LT from Miami (reconstructed knee).  Those 2 are expected to be top 10 and with our draft record will be who we get.

537499[/snapback]

if we do draft a wr i think we should just rename ourselves the Buffalo lions, or cardinals. I pray that you were not actually advocating that we take a wr?

I disagree.  He showed GREAT promise his first season or two, and has been one of JPLs favorite targets this season.  Last year he looked terrible, but I think he'll still develop into a very good threat, and I'd be surprised if he isn't re-signed this offseason.

CW

537527[/snapback]

If Josh Reed is so great, why did TD use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

If Josh Reed is so great, why did TD use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

537746[/snapback]

If you're using TD's logic as the basis for discussion, you're not going to get very far.

One could also ask, if we needed OL help, why did he use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

If our TE's are both coming off ACL injuries, why did he use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

If we lost our run-stuffing DT, why did he use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

No need to go on further.

I'm not saying he's a Probowl player, but he's hardly terrible

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that people around here think that every player on our roster sucks, but every player on every other roster is "elite" (like Branch!)

I guess I should just realize that people in general seem to like being negative and critical all the time, and just let it go.

CW

537653[/snapback]

Really, man. Come on now. I think JP has the potential to be a star. Willis, I'm not so sure. I liked him his rookie year, but he's been a HUGE letdown. NAte's the same way. He's really blown the salami this year.

Who is THE stud superstar that TD's drafted? I'm talking a guy on the order of Palmer, Johnson, Brady or Edgerrin James?

Answer: there is none.

If we get a top 5 pick I just dont see any way that we DONT trade down.....and it is because of the reason you mentioned...the DT/DE/OL that we need will probably not deserve to be drafted that high........

We will probably trade down into the teens.....and get another 2nd pick

We are going to rebiuld this team through the draft

537468[/snapback]

Teflon will probably become infatuated with some player that he knows will be available to the Bills (ala Joey harrington) and he will unplug his phone and not cultivate any trade partners prior to the draft.

After his favoriate player is plucked right before the Bills pick, he will panick and draft the fattest, slowest, softest, dumbest player that has been overhyped because he moves well for his size.

Teflon is a master as evaluating talent and football temperament. That's why the BIlls are such a mentally tough team. :blush:

I hear what you're saying... I'd put (Starter-Star) next to Thurman, though. Stud & a steal in the 2nd round.

537630[/snapback]

I originally had a star on him and took it back off. His 86 tackles are about half of LF's, but his 5 INTs sure are impressive for a rookie. Let's see how durable he his before he gets the star tag, though.

One could also ask, if we needed OL help, why did he use his first pick in the 2005 draft on Parrish?

No need to go on further.

537747[/snapback]

Your logic holds up until you look at who was available at the #55 pick. Only two OL were taken after Roscoe in Round 2 and neither appear to be impact players (yet). Now I suppose TD could have traded out of the spot, rather than drafting a smurf WR, but then you're talking about finding a willing dance partner in a 10 minute window.

If we get a top 5 pick I just dont see any way that we DONT trade down.....and it is because of the reason you mentioned...the DT/DE/OL that we need will probably not deserve to be drafted that high........

We will probably trade down into the teens.....and get another 2nd pick

We are going to rebiuld this team through the draft

537468[/snapback]

YES YES YES. That is Exactly the strategy we should use. There are a remarkable number of very good defensive line prospects and some fine o-line choices that will be available in the low first through third round choices. We could actually go a long way toward rebuilding the team if we follow this course. John for GM!!!!

Actually, even by your standards, Cincinnati's drafts have been much more successful then ours.   The Bills have drafted no player who is anywheres as good as Chad Johnson, let alone Carson Palmer.   And Levi Jones might be getting into that category as well.    The closest you could come would be Nate Clements.

537621[/snapback]

At the beginning of the season, would you have traded Clements for Johnson straight up (contract issues aside)? How about Willis for Levi Jones? Or Lee Evans for Thurman?

Palmer is the difference maker in this whole mix, IMO. The Bengals could have easily had another Akili Smith fiasco but finally struck gold with a guy that makes every other player on the team better.

Let's see where the pick is when the dust finally settles first. If it's top 10 or so, I still don't think you can go OL the year that you dump MW. But you can and will get good value if you go DL... you need strength in numbers in that unit.

537498[/snapback]

Excellent pick up on the PR angle to picking OL when you are about to cut your greatest ever OL draft bust.

DT in round one if it's TD. If not - the PR sensitivity might not matter as much.

If we pick top 5, I might look to trade down in R1 and use the high pick in R2 to move back into the first round. With 2 3rds already, we might as well double our chances in the first...

what I would like to see happen is that we do draft in the top 3 spots, we then take that spot and trade it to someone who wants one of the the big 3, we swap spots with that team(still probably a top 7-10 spot), plus we get extra later picks. We then take that top 10 spot we just traded for and trade it again to a lower(pick in the 20's)spot, oncwe again swapping spots and once again getting extra draft picks. We could make a killing if we can do this, not that I am hoping that we are bottom 3 team, but we need to get something here!

As much help as we need on both sides of the line, we can't go with OL or DT with our first pick..... unless of course D'Brickashaw Ferguson is there.

Let's face facts, we're not winning next week. I also have a gut feeling we won't be beating the Jets on the road. We'll probably be favored, but they almost won on the road against Miami and most terrible teams seem to be able to pull out their home finale. Especially against a team as beatable as us.

In my opinion, we are looking at a top 5 pick. Outside of D'Brickashaw, there isn't an O-Lineman or a D-Tackle worth taking in the top 10. Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12. Everyone underneath him isn't worth taking until late 1st. The same can be mentioned about Eric Winston (mid 1st).

As much as i'll get bitched at for this, if Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young is available when we pick; we have to take one. They're just too special to pass up. I don't buy into the whole "Leinart will be a bust" thing. Watch his games, watch his accuracy, and his composure. And Young is so Vick-like it's scary. Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine. But if we stay put, you can't go with Ngata, Winston, or other DT's or OL's.

537454[/snapback]

Excellent pick up on the PR angle to picking OL when you are about to cut your greatest ever OL draft bust.

DT in round one if it's TD.  If not - the PR sensitivity might not matter as much.

If we pick top 5, I might look to trade down in R1 and use the high pick in R2 to move back into the first round.  With 2 3rds already, we might as well double our chances in the first...

537888[/snapback]

I think there is a building consensus that the best lineman (perhaps the best football player) in this draft may be Ferguson. I think the PR aspect will be the reason that two of the franchises will pass on him for the USC contingent- Houston and San Francisco. I think Ferguson goes number 3 or number 4. I think he is exactly what we need, but I'm less and less hopeful of him being around even at our low (4th through 9th?) draft pick.