Bills #1 Pick

You're supposed to draft good players, thats what the draft is all about.  When a pick is bad, it sticks out.  TD could have picked Joe Montana, and it still wouldnt make up for picking Mike Frigging Williams at 4.

537486[/snapback]

You set a pretty rigorous standard. Even the best talent evaluators lay some eggs, but don't get me wrong TD has laid more than many others. What is sad is that during the 90's we were the class of the league, even our castoffs ended up all over the league. How the mighty have fallen.

I say Coles WR (5-7 165 pounds) from Miami

Related to Lavearneus? Just curious.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about any number of the ones whos teams made the playoffs the past 6 years.  Take a look at the Bengals roster.  That is homegrown talent working within a great scheme.

537504[/snapback]

Other than Chad Johnson, Palmer and Steinbach, Cincy's draft record since 2001 isn't much more impressive than the Bills:

2001:

Round 1-- 4 Justin Smith DE Missouri (Starter)

Round 2-- 36 Chad Johnson WR Oregon State (Starter-Star)

Round 3-- 66 Shawn Brewer TE San Jose State (cut)

Round 1-- 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State (Starter)

Round 2-- 46 Aaron Schobel DE TCU (Starter)

58 Travis Henry RB Tennessee (traded to Titans)

Round 3-- 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M (Starter-IR)

95 Jonas Jennings OT Georgia (Starter--left via FA)

2002:

Round 1-- 7 Levi Jones OT Arizona State (Starter)

Round 2-- 41 Lamont Thompson FS Washington State (traded to Titans)

Round 3-- 67 Matt Schobel TE TCU (Backup)

Round 1-- 4 Mike Williams OT Texas (Bust)

Round 2-- 36 Josh Reed WR LSU (3rd WR)

61 Ryan Denny DE BYU (Backup)

Round 3-- 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford (Backup)

2003:

Round 1-- 1 Carson Palmer QB Southern Cal (Starter-Star)

Round 2-- 33 Eric Steinbach OG Iowa (Starter)

Round 3-- 65 Kelly Washington WR Tennessee (Backup)

Round 1-- 23 Willis MaGahee RB Miami (Starter)

Round 2-- 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska (Starter)

Round 3-- 96 Angelo Crowell OLB Virginia (Starter)

2004:

Round 1-- 26 Chris Perry RB Michigan (Backup)

Round 2-- 49 Keiwan Ratliff CB Florida (Backup)

56 Madieu Williams CB Maryland (on IR)

Round 3-- 80 Caleb Miller MLB Arkansas (3rd String)

96 Landon Johnson OLB Purdue (Backup)

Round 1-- 13 Lee Evans WR Wisconsin (Starter)

22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane (Starter)

Round 3-- 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State (Starter)

2005:

Round 1-- 17 David Pollack DE Georgia (Starter)

Round 2-- 48 Odell Thurman ILB Georgia (Starter)

Round 3-- 83 Chris Henry WR West Virginia (3rd WR)

Round 2-- 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Miami (Backup)

Round 3-- 86 Kevin Everett TE Miami (on IR)

You set a pretty rigorous standard.  Even the best talent evaluators lay some eggs,  but don't get me wrong  TD has laid more than many others.  What is sad is that during the 90's we were the class of the league, even our castoffs ended up all over the league.  How the mighty have fallen.

Related to Lavearneus?  Just curious.

537548[/snapback]

All teams should set a high standard. A team pays a lot of money to a scout or scouts to watch players close and pick the best players that they think will help their team. The scouts should be able to give the GM the ablility to make draft picks and be confident about them.

All teams should set a high standard.  A team pays a lot of money to a scout or scouts to watch players close and pick the best players that they think will help their team.  The scouts should be able to give the GM the ablility to make draft picks and be confident about them.

537557[/snapback]

Did you read Sound n Fury's post above yours...?

The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?

CW

It's hard to just put names on paper and say we had a similar draft type. Several of those players for the Bengals that are back ups have been very clutch for them. Chris Perry has the most catches on 3rd down (for 1st downs) in the NFL. Keiwan Ratliff has 3 picks this year. Chris Henry has caught a bunch of touchdowns this season.

Reversely, we have several players that are starters only because of injury, like Anderson and Crowell.

Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12.

Good grief! Did you figure all that out from an Internet mock draft?

I've got two words for you: Levi Jones.

You take who you like when your pick comes up - not who Mel Kiper likes....

JDG

Crowell sucks.  Just because he starts doesn't make him good.  Don't confuse the two.

537614[/snapback]

So all of our players suck, and all of the players on other teams are "elite" (including Branch...). Gotcha.

Sorry, I never read the initiation handbook. :D

CW

Other than Chad Johnson, Palmer and Steinbach, Cincy's draft record since 2001 isn't much more impressive than the Bills:

Actually, even by your standards, Cincinnati's drafts have been much more successful then ours. The Bills have drafted no player who is anywheres as good as Chad Johnson, let alone Carson Palmer. And Levi Jones might be getting into that category as well. The closest you could come would be Nate Clements.

And the Bengals have certainly not drafted anyone near as much of a bust as Mike Williams.

On the other hand, compare Buffalo's drafts wth Chicago's (another team that has been drafting near the top of the order as of late, but is having a good year.)

JDG

So all of our players suck, and all of the players on other teams are "elite" (including Branch...).  Gotcha.

Branch wasn't Super Bowl MVP just because he got lucky in the big game..... he really is very, very, good.

JDG

As much help as we need on both sides of the line, we can't go with OL or DT with our first pick..... unless of course D'Brickashaw Ferguson is there.

Let's face facts, we're not winning next week. I also have a gut feeling we won't be beating the Jets on the road. We'll probably be favored, but they almost won on the road against Miami and most terrible teams seem to be able to pull out their home finale. Especially against a team as beatable as us.

In my opinion, we are looking at a top 5 pick. Outside of D'Brickashaw, there isn't an O-Lineman or a D-Tackle worth taking in the top 10. Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12. Everyone underneath him isn't worth taking until late 1st. The same can be mentioned about Eric Winston (mid 1st).

As much as i'll get bitched at for this, if Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young is available when we pick; we have to take one. They're just too special to pass up. I don't buy into the whole "Leinart will be a bust" thing. Watch his games, watch his accuracy, and his composure. And Young is so Vick-like it's scary. Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine. But if we stay put, you can't go with Ngata, Winston, or other DT's or OL's.

537454[/snapback]

You bring up an excellent point. The issue becomes do you draft to fill a position, hence drafting a person not worthy of that spot, which forces the organization to over pay for that person, or do you draft the very best football player available, someone who has the best chance for the Pro Bowl and possible Hall of Fame career. Regarding this team, I think the best available player makes the most sense considering the amount of holes that need to be patched.

I think the Bills need to think about AJ Hawk. Bush would be the selection, but he will not be available and both quarterbacks have plenty of shortcomings. If the new management team concludes that JP will be a bust then I rather see a trade for Phillip Rivers than see us take either Leinart or the Texas kid.

So all of our players suck, and all of the players on other teams are "elite" (including Branch...).  Gotcha.

Sorry, I never read the initiation handbook.  :D

CW

537620[/snapback]

Never said that, however Crowell is always out of position, gets manhandled and is not able to fend off blockers that get to the second level. Tackling guys as they run by your is not a good thing for a linebacker. the idea is to keep the play in front of you. Tackling as they go by means you have let the other team get 7-10 yards on you. But go ahead and think he is good.

Branch wasn't Super Bowl MVP just because he got lucky in the big game..... he really is very,  very, good.

JDG

537622[/snapback]

Larry Brown got Super Bowl MVP too. Doesn't mean he was elite.

It's just nonsense to say we have no elite players, and then say a player like Branch is elite.

CW

Never said that, however Crowell is always out of position, gets manhandled and is not able to fend off blockers that get to the second level.  Tackling guys as they run by your is not a good thing for a linebacker.  the idea is to keep the play in front of you.  Tackling as they go by means you have let the other team get 7-10 yards on you.  But go ahead and think he is good.

537644[/snapback]

I'm not saying he's a Probowl player, but he's hardly terrible

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that people around here think that every player on our roster sucks, but every player on every other roster is "elite" (like Branch!)

I guess I should just realize that people in general seem to like being negative and critical all the time, and just let it go.

CW

Larry Brown got Super Bowl MVP too.  Doesn't mean he was elite.

It's just nonsense to say we have no elite players, and then say a player like Branch is elite.

CW

537649[/snapback]

We have probably 2-4 elite players. Moulds, Spikes (if he comes back from his injury), and Fletcher (usually), Clement (again usually).

That's it, and 3 of those are questionable.

I'm not saying he's a Probowl player, but he's hardly terrible

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that people around here think that every player on our roster sucks, but every player on every other roster is "elite" (like Branch!)

I guess I should just realize that people in general seem to like being negative and critical all the time, and just let it go.

CW

537653[/snapback]

No he really is pretty bad. Put it into perspective, do you honestly believe he could start on any other team? Maybe one or two. That should tell you that he is probably a career backup, special teamer, who is not a good LBer.

We have probably 2-4 elite players.  Moulds, Spikes (if he comes back from his injury), and Fletcher (usually), Clement (again usually).

That's it, and 3 of those are questionable.

537654[/snapback]

McGee? Moorman?

McGahee has shown tons of potential (faster player to 2000 yards in Bills history says something, IMHO; he's been slacking the last 4-6 weeks though).

Evans? Come on, if you put Branch on the list, Evans has to be there (sans the Broncos game); the guy had 3 TDs in one game, compared to Branch's 4 TDs all season.

CW

No he really is pretty bad.  Put it into perspective, do you honestly believe he could start on any other team?  Maybe one or two.  That should tell you that he is probably a career backup, special teamer, who is not a good LBer.

537657[/snapback]

This is the first year he's played. He has three sacks, an INT, a FF, several pass defenses. He's haredly "always out of position." He shows a lot of potential. If JP gets a pass because of his inexperience, why doesn't Crowell?

CW