Three HC Candidates to Consider

Ralph Friedgen - Maryland

Pro coordinator experience (OC for Bobby Ross's SB team) and a fabulous job turning Mayland around almost instantaneously.

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-...en_ralph00.html

Mike Leach - Texas Tech

Offensive and possibly motivational genius - absolutely fascinating story on him in the New York Times Magazine (Dec. 4th) by Michael Lewis. Get your hands on it if you can.

Teddy Cottrell

Didn't see eye to eye with Herm, but that may have just been a philosophy conflict. Tactically sound, great at developing young players, good motivator, guys are always prepared. Seems to be bringing things around in Minny.

I don't know if either college guy is interested in jumping to the pros. Cottrell would jump at a job offer for sure.

I think the Fridge is a can't miss guy. No way he busts, though you never know if he'll be great.

Leach is a complete crapshoot with a great upside. Very strange guy. I'm sure some will make the June Jones run and shoot comparisons. But I think he's different - much more innovative. Could be a huge failure, but could also revolutionize the NFL.

Ted is somwhere in between to me. He knows the league, is starting to get out of Wade's shadow (don't think Tice is responsible for that D). I haven't seen tons of Vikings games this year, though, so those of you who have might have a more up to date opinion on him.

I would be excited about any of these three. Thoughts?

Ralph Friedgen  - Maryland

Pro coordinator experience (OC for Bobby Ross's SB team) and a fabulous job turning Mayland around almost instantaneously.

Mike Leach - Texas Tech

Offensive and possibly motivational genius - absolutely fascinating story on him in the New York Times Magazine (Dec. 4th) by Michael Lewis. Get your hands on it if you can.

Teddy Cottrell

Didn't see eye to eye with Herm, but that may have just been a philosophy conflict. Tactically sound, great at developing young players, good motivator, guys are always prepared. Seems to be bringing things around in Minny.

I don't know if either college guy is interested in jumping to the pros. Cottrell would jump at a job offer for sure.

I think the Fridge is a can't miss guy. No way he busts, though you never know if he'll be great.

Leach is a complete crapshoot with a great upside. Very strange guy. I'm sure some will make the June Jones run and shoot comparisons. But I think he's different - much more innovative. Could be a huge failure, but could also revolutionize the NFL.

Ted is somwhere in between to me. He knows the league, is starting to get out of Wade's shadow (don't think Tice is responsible for that D). I haven't seen tons of Vikings games this year, though, so those of you who have might have a more up to date opinion on him.

533438[/snapback]

Well I dont like Fridge simply because he is the coach of a rival school :lol:

Seriously though he has done a great job with UMD so much so that I can't see him leaving the college ranks. He has too many perks with that gig and he's making a great living out there in college park.

Leach is more like a spin of the roulette wheel right now. He's definately brought the big air offense to TTU, but his offense reminds me a lot of Steve Spurrier and the Gators. Give Leach 2-3 years and a major bowl victory or 2 before he really gets some NFL looks. BTW I'll look for that article later.

Good Ole Teddy...I wanted him to be coach of the Bills way back when...I always thought he would have been great for the job. However, I dont think he and Ralph got along too well. I definately think he deserves the chance to coach in this league, but I cant see him coming back to Buffalo a third time.

Well I dont like Fridge simply because he is the coach of a rival school  :lol:

Seriously though he has done a great job with UMD so much so that I can't see him leaving the college ranks.  He has too many perks with that gig and he's making a great living out there in college park.

533467[/snapback]

Yeah, I think he'd be an amazing choice, but I agree that he's the least likely to want to come here (or anywhere in the NFL). I think he's a UMD alum too. You never know, though. Maybe he's getting bored and wants a new challenge. It would cost a lot of money.

Leach is more like a spin of the roulette wheel right now.  He's definately brought the big air offense to TTU, but his offense reminds me a lot of Steve Spurrier and the Gators.  Give Leach 2-3 years and a major bowl victory or 2 before he really gets some NFL looks.  BTW I'll look for that article later.

533467[/snapback]

I think Leach is a lot more innovative than Spurrier and also less of a dick. He's rethinking the nature of the game. Spurrier had great players. Leach definitely does not. The NYT article quoted one NFL team official as saying, "I'm not sure that his offensive approach would work in the NFL. But I'm not sure that it wouldn't." (Or words to that effect.) Big gamble, but man would it be interesting.

Good Ole Teddy...I wanted him to be coach of the Bills way back when...I always thought he would have been great for the job.  However, I dont think he and Ralph got along too well.  I definately think he deserves the chance to coach in this league, but I cant see him coming back to Buffalo a third time.

533467[/snapback]

What's the deal with TC and Ralph? I don't remember any problems there. TD did interview him after all, though it may have just been a courtesy interview. I think he would come back if Ralph made him an offer.

What's the deal with TC and Ralph? I don't remember any problems there. TD did interview him after all, though it may have just been a courtesy interview. I think he would come back if Ralph made him an offer.

533478[/snapback]

I think the whole problem was the fact that it was a courtesy interview and that TC wasnt taken seriously as a candidate...there was something else too, but I cant remember it exactly offhand...

As far as college coaches, I like Kirk Ferentz out of Iowa, but he's not going anywhere.  I also like Dan Hawkins of Boise State.

533479[/snapback]

I like Hawkins too, but if I'm not mistaken he just got the Colorado job that was recently vacated by what's his name (I'm drawing a blank but I think he was the former Northwestern coach).

And I also like Ferentz. Very much.

And this seems like an apporpriate spot to place my yearly vote for Jeff Tedford.

BTW, if anyone wants the NYT article on Leach, PM me and I'll email it to you. One of the most interesting football articles I've read in a long time. Leach's offensive approach is radical, his training methods are interesting, and his (current) obsession with Pirates is hilarious. The article is a pdf so it's 5mb. Make sure your email provider can handle it.

I like Hawkins too, but if I'm not mistaken he just got the Colorado job that was recently vacated by what's his name (I'm drawing a blank but I think he was the former Northwestern coach).

And this seems like an apporpriate spot to place my yearly vote for Jeff Tedford.

533482[/snapback]

I didn't know the announcement had been made yet. I heard Hawkins was negotiating a contract, but you never know w/ coaches (George O' Leary, anyone?).

What about Ron Rivera, the DC of the Chicago Bears?  I don't feel like fishing through the vast wasteland of coaching prospect posts, but has anyone mentioned him?

533490[/snapback]

Rivera's name has been thrown out by ESPN, but for no team in particular...dont know much about him offhand...guess I've got more reading ahead of me

I think he'll be a good one. I've heard nothing but praises about Rivera as a coach. He may need more experience, but I think he'll be a good one.

As for Ferentz, in a GM sim league I'm in, he's the head coach of my team (of course, we did finish w/ a 3-15 record......ugh!).

I didn't know the announcement had been made yet.  I heard Hawkins was negotiating a contract, but you never know w/ coaches (George O' Leary, anyone?).

533487[/snapback]

It appears to be a done deal. At least thats what the "insiders" are saying. But hey, that leaves Gary Barnett available. He seems like the kind of guy that could come here and instantly get control of this debacle. :lol:

It appears to be a done deal.  At least thats what the "insiders" are saying.  But hey, that leaves Gary Barnett available.  He seems like the kind of guy that could come here and instantly get control of this debacle. :lol:

533505[/snapback]

Just as long as we don't get a female kicker, we're in good shape.

It appears to be a done deal.  At least thats what the "insiders" are saying.  But hey, that leaves Gary Barnett available.  He seems like the kind of guy that could come here and instantly get control of this debacle. :lol:

533505[/snapback]

He might be good at recruiting Free Agents for us.....with trips on the company credit card to the Sundowner and other fine establishments

Ralph Friedgen  - Maryland

Mike Leach - Texas Tech

Teddy Cottrell

533438[/snapback]

All very good suggestions.I would love Ted for sentimental reasons--and he SO deserved it over Greggy...--and because TD gave him the brush off because he didnt come in like the good little boy Gregg with his lists of bad coaches.

The Fridge sounds fascinating.

As far as college coaches, I like Kirk Ferentz out of Iowa, but he's not going anywhere.  I also like Dan Hawkins of Boise State.

533479[/snapback]

The big obstacle tying Ferentz to Iowa is about to graduate.

He will do for the Bills what Saban is doing for the Dolphins.

Leach is a major POS, and he's a one trick pony. No, I don't root for any other Texas/Big 12 teams.

Ferentz--great idea, don't know that he wants to move.

Hawkins--Buffaloes...Colorado variety

Haven't seen this name yet. Please consider Pat Hill Fresno State. He has done wonders with that program, and is as straight a shooter as you will find. Plenty of NFL experience, prior to College HC.

Fridge is an out-of-the-box idea, that would either flame or fizzle, I don't think it would end up in between.

Ferentz is obviously a great choice.

What about Dick Jauron? He was a finalist last time, the Bears always played hard for him when he was head man, and now he is Detroit's interim HC. I know Ralph and he hit it off big time last time, but TD (you jackass) sold him on MM.

Fridge is an out-of-the-box idea, that would either flame or fizzle, I don't think it would end up in between.

Ferentz is obviously a great choice. 

What about Dick Jauron?  He was a finalist last time, the Bears always played hard for him when he was head man, and now he is Detroit's interim HC.  I know Ralph and he hit it off big time last time, but TD (you jackass) sold him on MM.

533984[/snapback]

Jauron was kinda like LeBeau in Cincy....good coach with no team around him. He's a possible choice, but I have a feeling that Detroit will retain him after the season...though this is depentdant on the front office situation and resolution in Motown

No mention of Chan Gailey or Norm Chow?

534146[/snapback]

Gailey is mentioned either on this post or another...not a bad choice

chow on the otherhand...take a look at Tennessee's offense and tell me you want that? He needs more time to improve at the pro level before you give him HC job.

Gailey is mentioned either on this post or another...not a bad choice

chow on the otherhand...take a look at Tennessee's offense and tell me you want that?  He needs more time to improve at the pro level before you give him HC job.

534197[/snapback]

Not too many weapons for Chow to work with this season

533482[/snapback]

I too like Ferentz a lot...

Just read Tedford's bio at the Cal site and it is VERY impressive...The quotes from Dilfer were especially notable... :doh:

Keep Tedford away from JP!

534423[/snapback]

Komrade, you must be kidding.

If you're looking for somebody to work with a young QB, there may not be a better coach on the planet (at least not named Parcells) to have around than Tedford. His outstanding tutelage has made some really marginally talented QB's look so good that pro talent evaluators burned up 1st round picks on them. Guys like Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers might not have gotten much notice had they played for anybody else but Tedford, but he coached them up so much they all became 1st round picks. Imagine what the guy couild do with talent like JP's and how much Losman could benefit from running Tedford's highly effective, innovative, QB friendly offense.

If you're worried about pro experience, he's also helped take two different CFL teams to Grey Cup games, once as a QB and once as a coach. The guy has been a winner everywhere he's gone and when a pro team finally gives him a shot, he'll win there too. I'd love for that team to be the Bills.

Cya

Komrade, you must be kidding.

If you're looking for somebody to work with a young QB, there may not be a better coach on the planet (at least not named Parcells) to have around than Tedford. His outstanding tutelage has made some really marginally talented QB's look so good that pro talent evaluators burned up 1st round picks on them. Guys like Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers might not have gotten much notice had they played for anybody else but Tedford, but he coached them up so much they all became 1st round picks. Imagine what the guy couild do with talent like JP's and how much Losman could benefit from running Tedford's highly effective, innovative, QB friendly offense.

If you're worried about pro experience, he's also helped take two different CFL teams to Grey Cup games, once as a QB and once as a coach. The guy has been a winner everywhere he's gone and when a pro team finally gives him a shot, he'll win there too. I'd love for that team to be the Bills.

Cya

534481[/snapback]

i should have put a smilie next to my post. I know the guy's a hell of a QB coach. But have you heard of the Tedford curse?

i should have put a smilie next to my post. I know the guy's a hell of a QB coach. But have you heard of the Tedford curse?

534513[/snapback]

I thought you might be kidding.

As for the Tedford curse, I assume you're talking about the fact that many of his former QB's failed to play as well when they were no longer being coached by him? I'm not sure if the word curse is the one I would select to describe this recurring situation. I might be more inclined to refer to it as "proof that nobody can make as effective use of their QB's as Tedford can".

My favorite example is probably Kyle Boller. I'd never heard of the kid before and as a pro he's been margially effective under Supergenius Billick, but when he was running Cal's offense it was a sight to behold. Tedford turned that boy into a one-man wrecking crew and Cal's offense looked incredibly efficient while Boller was running it. I even remember at the time talking to a buddy of mine and saying something like "I don't know what the hell a Kyle Boller is, but that freakin Tedford has taken him and somehow turned the kid into a real weapon.

Bottom line: I don't know if they have some sort of connection from somewhere else, but for some reason when I watch Tedford's offenses, I can't help but noting the many similarities you can see with Charlie Weiss' offenses.

Cya