Smerlas on Losman...

Buftex

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Smerlas resented the fact that he was never given a chance to be out played by Jeff Wright. The team decided it was time to go with younger players and simply let him go after a pro bowl season. That really kind of poisoned him at the time.

I met him several years ago and we had a very good conversation. I had a Smerlas shirt made when he was cut, and he signed it that day. He has an opinion and voices it loudly. I often disagree with him, but I think it would be fun to watch a game and pound down some cold ones with him.

He would be very much at home here or on PPP.  :blink:

532981[/snapback]

Thanks... 16 years is long time gone, but what are you gonna do?

He may wear his heart on his sleeve, but I still liked him as a Bill.

Okay, since WHAM now streams, and we can hear Fred Smerlas on a weekly basis, he is, for me, becoming the biggest douche bag to soil the Bills colors (which is saying something).

Last week, he said Losman has "no chance" in the NFL, and tonight, he compares Losman and Rob Johnson.  He says Johnson had more talent, and Losman has "more guts"....

532640[/snapback]

It's funny how all-pro players that say something are all viewed as if they can't possibly be wrong.

Except of course when they aren't saying what some fans want to hear.

I have to sit in front of FRED SMERLAS' name on the Wall of Fame at RWS.  One of these days, I'm taking a crowbar and pulling that fat a**hole's name off.

PTR

533056[/snapback]

Yeah, what a loser. He didn't know what he was doing and sucked.

Hell, he could replace Adams and Anderson combined.

Losman was making progress, has a much better attitude than RJ, but had one bad game. It's okay--actually knowing he injured the shoulder makes he happy in a way knowing his accuracy probably isn't as bad as demonstrated last Sunday! I still think he can be quite good. Good arm, great mobility (maybe could be used once in awhile), and quicker release and decision time with more experience. Everyone said they were willing to go threw growing pains after DB---well this is what it is like. Look at Palmer and little Manning now.

It's funny how all-pro players that say something are all viewed as if they can't possibly be wrong.

Except of course when they aren't saying what some fans want to hear.

533063[/snapback]

I have no problem with someone not thinking Losman is any good (I had my doubts after his first stint as a starter), all-pro player or not...it is just that from listening to this guy, it is very apparent that the only time he has seen Losman play, was against the Patriots. In fact, I would hazard a guess that he only sees the teams that play against the Pats, ans the odd Monday night game or two...

Smerlas opinions on the NFL seemed based on the opinions he had of the leauge from his playing days, not what is currently going on...

Smerlas opinions on the NFL seemed based on the opinions he had of the leauge from his playing days, not what is currently going on...

533177[/snapback]

They're also slanted due to his man-love for Flutie, his dislike of RJ and Phillips (see Flutie), and his desire to see his good buddy "Haz" coaching the Bills. Smerlas is an empty can.

They're also slanted due to his man-love for Flutie, his dislike of RJ and Phillips (see Flutie), and his desire to see his good buddy "Haz" coaching the Bills.  Smerlas is an empty can.

533195[/snapback]

I swear, last week, he was picking games, and I don't remember exactly what he said, but in picking the Colts game, he said something like "The Colts, since the days of Marchibroda and Bert Jones, have always relied on the passing game, when push comes to shove" as if Marchibroda and Jones have some sort of relevance, 25 years later, in figuring out the fortunes of Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning..." I don't think he is an empty can, maybe an empty keg...sad and useless...

I swear, last week, he was picking games, and I don't remember exactly what he said, but in picking the Colts game, he said something like "The Colts, since the days of Marchibroda and Bert Jones, have always relied on the passing game, when push comes to shove" as if Marchibroda and Jones have some sort of relevance, 25 years later, in figuring out the fortunes of Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning..."  I don't think he is an empty can, maybe an empty keg...sad and useless...

533219[/snapback]

they've relied on the passing game except for those years when smerlas actually faced them. you know, the eric dickerson plus gary hogeboom/jack trudeau years ...

a couple years from now we might be looking back on the losman thing with sadness and disappointment. He is going to have to make great leaps in his accuracy and field vision if he's ever going to be a good QB.

Unfortunately, those are two of the most difficult attributes to 'teach' or 'learn'. You either have them or you don't. I haven't seen signs of either of them yet.

I wish it weren't so, but you can't tell me that JP has been accurate, decisive, poised, or effective.

He's made a few throws, and missed a ton of 'em.

Don't expect him to be special next year. I know I don't. Hope he is, but I'm not expecting much.

a couple years from now we might be looking back on the losman thing with sadness and disappointment. He is going to have to make great leaps in his accuracy and field vision if he's ever going to be a good QB.

Unfortunately, those are two of the most difficult attributes to 'teach' or 'learn'. You either have them or you don't. I haven't seen signs of either of them yet.

I wish it weren't so, but you can't tell me that JP has been accurate, decisive, poised, or effective.

Don't expect him to be special next year. I know I don't. Hope he is, but I'm not expecting much.

533367[/snapback]

let me ask you this: in your opinion, is losman better or worse than todd collins was the year he started ('97)?

this should be good...

533382[/snapback]

just to make it a little easier:

collins in 1997 (the bills went 6-10):

completions: 215

attempts: 391

completion percentage: 55.0

yards: 2367

yards per attempt: 6.1

tds:12

ints: 13

losman this year (the bills are probably 5-11 at best):

completions: 114

attempts: 229

completion percentage: 49.8

yards: 1340

yards per attempt: 5.9

tds: 8

ints: 8

in case you're wondering about collins' second year (1996), in which he started a couple of games, here are the numbers:

completions: 55

attempts: 99

completion percentage: 55.6

yards: 739

yards per attempt: 7.5

tds: 4

ints: 5

collins in 1997:

losman this year:

in case you're wondering about collins' second year (1996), in which he started a couple of games, here are the numbers:

533420[/snapback]

you don't have to convince me that Collins was a good QB who got a raw deal.

533367[/snapback]

I know how you feel nod, but call me nuts, I think Losman has shown tremendous improvement in his second go-round as the starter. This is closer to what I was expecting from him, at the beginning of the season. He hasn't been great, but I think he has been much more decisive and poised. That game against New England was awful, but I think there were some outside contributing factors to JP's awful stats. Amongst them, an in injured shoulder, snow which he is unaccustomed to, and an offensive line performance that was as poor as any we have seen in the last few years...the interceptions are the kinds of mistakes we all said we expected him to make before the season started, and we assumed our defense was going to be something special...

As for Losman's accuaracy problems, I think those have improved too. Except this most recent debacle in New England (see the reasons I listed above) he has shown improvement. Now, I don't think it is as much his accuracy that is a problem, but a lack of touch on shorter passes...

Who knows if Losman will ever turn out to be anything better than average, but it seems odd that he is now being labled a "quitter" and a "bust", when he is starting to show those "flashes" MM was telling us were there, early in the season.

533420[/snapback]

That really puts things in perspective. Ugh.

533420[/snapback]

Compare those to these stats

Completions: 67

Attempts: 107

Completion percentage: 62.6

Yards: 910

Average: 8.5

Tds: 8

Int: 3

Rating: 102.6

RJ in his first year with the Bills.

I know I am in the extreme minority on this one, but I would have loved to see him play for the Bills with an adequate offensive line.

533495[/snapback]

I don't know that you are in the extreme minority. I thought RJ had incredible potential, which he flashed very early on...I don't know, however, if the line back then was as bad as the one we have now...to me, RJ's biggest problem was his seeming fragile body, and a sort of questionable (IMO) desire. They always said he had "all the tools", forgetting that he lacked these.