Mort: Bill Polian on finding the right HC

Rico

Sorry if already posted

=========================

CM: Simply, what's the key to picking a coach?

Polian: You just have to get the coach that is the right fit for your organization at the time you have to make that choice. That's the key. It isn't just going out and picking a name from a group of coaches who have achieved a lot. It's more about what kind of talent do you have, what kind of program and what role will that coach play in the organization.

CM: So it's not always the hot candidate?

Polian: No. Marv Levy used to say, "When you speak so loudly, I can't hear what you say." Look, track record is important. But just because it's something so obvious, it can be the wrong path. You don't choose a head coach for that reason alone. You choose based on what he brings to the overall program.

CM: Your first hire with the Colts was Jim Mora, but you fired him and ended up with Dungy. Was Mora a mistake?

Polian: No, he was absolutely the right guy at the time. We owe Jim a tremendous debt of gratitude for getting this program on the right path, the right footing, the right way. This program was in disarray and Jim pointed every single player that is still on this roster in the right direction. He showed them how to prepare, how to win, how to be a professional.

CM: Of all the qualities a head coach should have, what's the most important?

Polian: Leadership is by far the most important quality.

=============================

Couldn't agree more with BP's last statement.. lack of leadership is by far the biggest flaw in both of TD's hires. 0:)

Polian: No. Marv Levy used to say, "When you speak so loudly, I can't hear what you say."

Well, obviously Marv must have been speaking so loudly that Polian couldn't hear what was said! :blink:

What Marv actually used to say was something like, "Who you are speaks so loudly that I can't hear you what you say!"

Loose translation = actions speak louder than words.

I believe Marv derived it from Emerson's, "What you are thunders so that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary."

Still, ya gotta love Polian's "Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor" impersonation. 0:)

Sorry if already posted

=========================

CM: Of all the qualities a head coach should have, what's the most important?

Polian: Leadership is by far the most important quality.

=============================

Couldn't agree more with BP's last statement.. lack of leadership is by far the biggest flaw in both of TD's hires. 0:)

532230[/snapback]

Wow... Bingo!

That is just too funny... cause if there is one single thing I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I worried about from the minute I heard Mularkey speak it was his ability to lead men...To me he just does not come across as the type of Man other men would run though walls for...Like I've said here before, it's just a feeling I get when he speaks, and some of the things he says...

I've been Managing people my entire adult life...over 23 years now...so I'd like to believe I have a little insight on reading people (those who know me would say I have very little insight... :w00t: )...Anyway, when I go to hire someone I always Profile the Job and try to get the personality type, and the required skill set cemented in my brain so that I almost know instantly when it's the right person for the Job...

When I look at the great Head Coaches in the NFL, and admittedly they are few and far between, one of the things that I notice is that though they take different paths to get there, each of them is unquestionably a Leader of men...I get the feeling from listening to them speak that I would run through a brick wall head 1st for that guy...I just don't get that feeling from MM (wow... that was an understatement...).

BTW My favorite NFL HC is Jon Gruden by a country mile...I would do the Team laundry to have a chance to work for that guy... :blink:

I'm still a little annoyed that John (rest his soul) Butler never even bothered to interview other candidates, esp. Gruden, when he just turned the page and handed the keys to Wade Phillips. Nothing against Wade Phillips, but even back then (he was about to get the Raiders HC job), one could sense that Gruden had something special about him.

It's a game of inches ... or maybe not dialing the right phone numbers. 0:)

Jim Mora (Sr.) was one heckuva good football coach. He turned around some cess pool organizations and was a winner everywhere he coached. Although, I'm not sure the stress and grind was really all that good for his well-being.

The Bills could do worse than to have a strong leader come in, clean house, and teach some people how to win in the NFL.

Jim Mora (Sr.) was one heckuva good football coach.  He turned around some cess pool organizations and was a winner everywhere he coached.  Although, I'm not sure the stress and grind was really all that good for his well-being.

The Bills could do worse than to have a strong leader come in, clean house, and teach some people how to win in the NFL.

532560[/snapback]

If he's looking to avoid stress and grind in his later years, One Bills Drive might not be a good fit for him. Going to take some heavy lifting to pick up the pieces from this implosion...

If he's looking to avoid stress and grind in his later years, One Bills Drive might not be a good fit for him. Going to take some heavy lifting to pick up the pieces from this implosion...

532670[/snapback]

Yeah, I have no idea if he'd want to get back into coaching in the NFL. And, the Buffalo Bills have quickly become a toxic cess pool that needs a ton of work to clean up.

Still, a coach like that (well, the Jim Mora before the stress-induced meltdowns in the press room, anyway) is what this organization needs. Someone that is no nonsense, can set standards and goals, and will separate the wheat from the chaffe. And having a strong GM that knows how to put together the right pieces (instead of worrying about fans in the stands with "jerk signs") will be needed as well.

I really don't envy Ralph Wilson's job this off-season. :blink:

Yeah, I have no idea if he'd want to get back into coaching in the NFL.  And, the Buffalo Bills have quickly become a toxic cess pool that needs a ton of work to clean up.

Still, a coach like that (well, the Jim Mora before the stress-induced meltdowns in the press room, anyway) is what this organization needs.  Someone that is no nonsense, can set standards and goals, and will separate the wheat from the chaffe.  And having a strong GM that knows how to put together the right pieces (instead of worrying about fans in the stands with "jerk signs") will be needed as well.

I really don't envy Ralph Wilson's job this off-season.  :blink:

532760[/snapback]

If you read into it a little bit and see what he has done in Indy then you can see hiring a Mora or someone else to bring stability and perhaps even some modest winning seasons (say of the 9-7, 10-6 flavor) even though they have never really been over the top successful.

The key is then the "next coach", who takes the foundation and puts it over the top. The Colts built an amazing offense, but had no defense. Dungy was the perfect fit as he has always fielded great defensive teams, but couldn't tell you the definition of a forward pass.

That well crafted combination might yield a perfect season...

The question is - will this band of headhunters let a Marty, Reeves, Mora type come in to stop the digging, knowing full well they have a foot out the door?

If you read into it a little bit and see what he has done in Indy then you can see hiring a Mora or someone else to bring stability and perhaps even some modest winning seasons (say of the 9-7, 10-6 flavor) even though they have never really been over the top successful. 

The key is then the "next coach", who takes the foundation and puts it over the top.  The Colts built an amazing offense, but had no defense.  Dungy was the perfect fit as he has always fielded great defensive teams, but couldn't tell you the definition of a forward pass.

That well crafted combination might yield a perfect season...

The question is - will this band of headhunters let a Marty, Reeves, Mora type come in to stop the digging, knowing full well they have a foot out the door?

532787[/snapback]

Heh. Some of the same people currently abusing TD for hiring rookie head coaches would likely tar-and-feather a future GM for hiring a "retread" without at least one Super Bowl win on his resume.

Anyone got Tom Flores' number? :blink:

(Seriously, though, your scenario may well be the best solution...)

One thing about MM is that he seems to have change a lot since last year....

It seems that this year he is going with the company line and not thinking much by himself...

He is not the same person that he was when he arrived last year!

Last year, he looked like a leader, this year, he seems to have lost something... what is it?

Anyway, IMHO, this year is simply one of those years when everything that can go wrong, will go wrong!

Have a wonderful day!

Couldn't agree more with BP's last statement.. lack of leadership is by far the biggest flaw in both of TD's hires. :blink:

532230[/snapback]

Really? I don't think so at all. I think the problem with GW was that he was a terrible game-day coach--he couldn't make an adjustment or manage the clock or make good decisions on game day.

And I think the problem with MM has been poor play-calling and perhaps poor personnel. With the exception of Moulds' and Adams' little revolts, it seems like everyone on the team respects MM as a leader. In fact, MM's leadership is evidenced by the team's great second-hald run last year.

Say what you will about GW and MM, but I don't think their big fault was lack of leadership.

Really? I don't think so at all. I think the problem with GW was that he was a terrible game-day coach--he couldn't make an adjustment or manage the clock or make good decisions on game day.

And I think the problem with MM has been poor play-calling and perhaps poor personnel. With the exception of Moulds' and Adams' little revolts, it seems like everyone on the team respects MM as a leader. In fact, MM's leadership is evidenced by the team's great second-hald run last year.

Say what you will about GW and MM, but I don't think their big fault was lack of leadership.

532969[/snapback]

Where were you in 2003? ;) That abortion of a season can't be chalked up to game-day coaching...and you can only blame Gilbride for so much. The players tanked that season, particularly on offense, and GW lost the team & his job.

Now, we've got history repeating itself only 2 years later. MM may not have a "HOF QB" :blink: quitting on him, and the overall talent on-paper may not be as strong, but once again, one of TD's hires has lost the team.

Where were you in 2003? :doh:  That abortion of a season can't be chalked up to game-day coaching...and you can only blame Gilbride for so much. The players tanked that season, particularly on offense, and GW lost the team & his job.

Now, we've got history repeating itself only 2 years later. MM may not have a "HOF QB" :blink:  quitting on him, and the overall talent on-paper may not be as strong, but once again, one of TD's hires has lost the team.

533002[/snapback]

1) You say "you can only blame Gilbride for so much." Where were YOU in 2003? :lol: Gilbride singlehandedly tanked this team!!

2) Do you really think MM has lot this team? I don't know--but from what some of the other players (including Moulds post-suspension) have said in recent weeks, I think the players play hard for him. The problem is that our players are really really bad. ;)