Losman - Game turning

ajflutie

The AP game summary says Losman ignored an open reciever and threw and easy interception in the first quarter....can I get some feedback from someone who watched the game? And please no more TD/MM/EM - I'm wondering about the kid we hope will be our leader for the next 10 years...stats looked horrible..any insights appreciated

The AP game summary says Losman ignored an open reciever and threw and easy interception in the first quarter....can I get some feedback from someone who watched the game?  And please no more TD/MM/EM - I'm wondering about the kid we hope will be our leader for the next 10 years...stats looked horrible..any insights appreciated

528688[/snapback]

The INT was on a 3rd and goal from the 20 yard line. The underneath WR on the left side of the field was open but JP decided to throw it to Evans in the endzone who was double covered (the DB that was covering the underneath WR pulled off and dropped into the endzone to double Evans). JP was trying to force the ball for a TD instead of settling for a FG.

My main problem with this is on a 3rd and goal from the 20 why on earth is MM letting JP drop back to throw it into the endzone where the Pats had loads of DBs? A screen, a draw, anything safe to put points on the board early. The mistake was JPs for throwing the ball but I can't believe that MM would actually attempt anything other than a super safe playcall.

Two holding calls ruined a great catch by Evans.

528692[/snapback]

I think they were false starts--but you're right: they self-destructed in the redzone...again.

On that JP pick, if I recall, it was 3rd a goal from the 20, he was under heavy pressure and he just wanted to make a play throwing it up in the back of the endzone. Mularkey said that it was a "bad read" after the game; I'm not sure if we was implying that someone else was open. Maybe someone else was open, but it would have probably been for a two yard gain, leading to a Lindell FG miss anyway.

The AP game summary says Losman ignored an open reciever and threw and easy interception in the first quarter....can I get some feedback from someone who watched the game?  And please no more TD/MM/EM - I'm wondering about the kid we hope will be our leader for the next 10 years...stats looked horrible..any insights appreciated

528688[/snapback]

The red zone false start mistakes after the nice throw to Evans seemed to take all the air out of this team today. At times JP struggled with the throws but that pats were playing simple man and rushing 4 - 5 all the time and seemed like they knew the plays and were we were going better than we did and were always in his face etc.

I think they were false starts--but you're right: they self-destructed in the redzone...again.

On that JP pick, if I recall, it was 3rd a goal from the 20, he was under heavy pressure and he just wanted to make a play throwing it up in the back of the endzone. Mularkey said that it was a "bad read" after the game; I'm not sure if we was implying that someone else was open. Maybe someone else was open, but it would have probably been for a two yard gain, leading to a Lindell FG miss anyway.

528703[/snapback]

False starts....my bad. Thanks.

I don't remember the announcers talking about JP missing somebody.

If the open receiver was Evans, then it wasn't cut and dry. Evans cut his out pattern short at about the 10, but didn't draw Samuel far enough away from Aiken's similar route in the end zone. That makes me think JP just threw it too soon, or should have fake-pumped to Evans.

The INT was on a 3rd and goal from the 20 yard line.  The underneath WR on the left side of the field was open but JP decided to throw it to Evans in the endzone who was double covered (the DB that was covering the underneath WR pulled off and dropped into the endzone to double Evans).  JP was trying to force the ball for a TD instead of settling for a FG.

My main problem with this is on a 3rd and goal from the 20 why on earth is MM letting JP drop back to throw it into the endzone where the Pats had loads of DBs?  A screen, a draw, anything safe to put points on the board early.  The mistake was JPs for throwing the ball but I can't believe that MM would actually attempt anything other than a super safe playcall.

528698[/snapback]

Like that INT at the goal line last week? This kid is all talk and no substance. He's proven he can't play in this league. Time to move on. And please, he's shown zero improvement from week to week. If he had, he'd have alot more yards, TD's, less fumbles and INT"s.

The guy who made the INT was covering the short receiver on that side, but he was playing soft. He left his man when he saw JP looking deep, leaving his guy wide open.

JP should have seen that the guy was in position to make a play on the ball. The underneath guy would have had an easy catch, and probably would have gotten it down inside the 10 for an easy FG.

Personally, I don't give a rat's a$$. We don't need FGs anymore. I'm tired of great red zone opportunities squandered. FG's don't help this team, TDs do.

Like that INT at the goal line last week?  This kid is all talk and no substance.  He's proven he can't play in this league.  Time to move on.  And please, he's shown zero improvement from week to week.  If he had, he'd have alot more yards, TD's, less fumbles and INT"s.

529053[/snapback]

Yeah, we should give up on him after what, 8 starts? And if you haven't seen improvement from him then you don't know what to look for. With the exception of today's NE game he's improved greatly.

Who knows if he'll end up being a quality starter but saying he's "proven he can't play in this league" when he hasn't even played an entire season is just ridiculous.

Who knows if he'll end up being a quality starter but saying he's "proven he can't play in this league" when he hasn't even played an entire season is just ridiculous.

529126[/snapback]

Yep...How about we also reserve judgement till the Kid gets at least a couple decent Rushing performance out of his Offense too...I really would love to see what JP can do while the Offense is Running the ball with some sort of consistancy...Guess we wont find that out till next year... :D

The guy who made the INT was covering the short receiver on that side, but he was playing soft. He left his man when he saw JP looking deep, leaving his guy wide open.

JP should have seen that the guy was in position to make a play on the ball. The underneath guy would have had an easy catch, and probably would have gotten it down inside the 10 for an easy FG.

Personally, I don't give a rat's a$$. We don't need FGs anymore. I'm tired of great red zone opportunities squandered. FG's don't help this team, TDs do.

529090[/snapback]

If I recall correctly, he had a rushing end right in his face and got leveled as he was throwing it. The ball just floated up there. He might not have seen Aiken loafing around at the 12 yard line. Belichek likes to screen his CBs, so Samuel (?) faded off Aiken knowing it was 3rd and goal from the 22, covering the TD but willing to give them the FG try if Aiken gets the pass. Evans had actually beaten his man. If Samuel didn't drop back and JP had more than 0.5 seconds to let Evans finish his route, it would have been a great TD.

The game was scoreless at the time, so trying to force one in there from 22 yards out was probably a bit too agressive. But, like you said, this team was 4-8. Why not get the TD? Plus, if it's an incomplete pass, they could trot Lindell out there to miss it from the 22. Six of one, half dozen of another.

The defense should have nutted up there, but let the Pats march down the field on an 80 yard drive finished with a TD rush by Brady on a bum ankle.

Those pointing to JP for this loss (not you Rubes) are being ridiculous. No running game. No O-line. Horrible playcalling. The kid is getting hosed. But he improves every game.

The red zone false start mistakes after the nice throw to Evans seemed to take all the air out of this team today.  At times JP struggled with the throws but that pats were playing simple man and rushing 4 - 5 all the time and seemed like they knew the plays and were we were going better than we did and were always in his face etc.

528709[/snapback]

Our line is completely mystified by even the most basic stunts. The result is that they get unblocked lineman through to JP rushing only 4-5 so that they do not have to give up anything in coverage.