Mike Williams.... why is he a bust?

Ok Granted I see no overall value to the drafting of a rt at the #4 spot in the draft, and yes at times seems to displacy competency instead of a all around nasty attitude that is coveted in offensive linemen.

However I don't see how is on field play is a bust? Case in point other then the new england game our running game for lack of a better term has been below average, where as when Mike Williams was playing rt, we pretty much seemed to be able to run at will. So why then cut Mike Williams or label him a bust if he's our best run blocking linemen? Why not put Mike back at rt?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Granted I see no overall value to the drafting of a rt at the #4 spot in the draft, and yes at times seems to displacy competency instead of a all around nasty attitude that is coveted in offensive linemen.

However  I don't see how is on field play is a bust?  Case in point  other then the new england game our running game for lack of a better term has been below average, where as when Mike Williams was playing rt, we pretty much seemed to be able to run at will.  So why then cut Mike Williams or label him a bust if he's our best run blocking linemen?  Why not put Mike back at rt?

526757[/snapback]

honestly, i simply think that he got hurt this year, and unfortuntately this was the year that he had to show his stuff.

Injuries are the biggest problem IMHO. People here say he has no heart because he doesn't play through it, but there's no way a fan can tell that.

When he's on the field, he's been good; probably the best OL on the team.

He'll probably be cut this season, as others are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign elsewhere and play very well.

CW

However  I don't see how is on field play is a bust?  Case in point  other then the new england game our running game for lack of a better term has been below average, where as when Mike Williams was playing rt, we pretty much seemed to be able to run at will.  So why then cut Mike Williams or label him a bust if he's our best run blocking linemen?  Why not put Mike back at rt?

526757[/snapback]

A top pick like that and making millions and he can't beat out a converted TE 7th round nobody at RT nor a journeyman LG who leads the team in holding calls.

Yeah, I think he qualifies as a bust.

No fire in the belly.

How do you explain Jason Peters?

526786[/snapback]

Have you actually watched him? :D

He isn't that good. Overhyped by the coaching staff, and great strides from TE to tackle, but that transition happens somewhat often. As a TE he already understood some of the end of line blocking schemes, plus he is a good athlete. That makes up for a lot of it.

So yeah, bad coaching.

A top pick like that and making millions and he can't beat out a converted TE 7th round nobody at RT nor a journeyman LG who leads the team in holding calls. 

Yeah, I think he qualifies as a bust.

No fire in the belly.

526789[/snapback]

With that, this thread should be closed.

With that, this thread should be closed.

526796[/snapback]

Great, a healthy player is better than a guy with a bad high ankle sprain and some other nagging injuries. :D

He'll be fine for his new team. Chances are he won't be here due to his salary, but he'll play elsewhere.

CW

Injuries are the biggest problem IMHO.  People here say he has no heart because he doesn't play through it, but there's no way a fan can tell that.

When he's on the field, he's been good; probably the best OL on the team.

He'll probably be cut this season, as others are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign elsewhere and play very well.

CW

526767[/snapback]

I know MW is a huge Human Being...But I always can't help but wonder what his career would be like if he was a 330 lb. huge man as opposed to whatever weight he was carrying this Season and in the past. All the extra weight can't help...It makes him more prone to injury and it makes it harder to play through or recover...

I just can't help but wonder how good Big Mike would be if he simply was not AS big...I guess we'll never know... :D

I always wonder why he never got his own TV show like when he was in college, or radio spot once he turned PRO.. Lack of spot light on me.

A couple of others,

He got a wife.

The Grandmother who raised him, passed, which hit him hard.

Lack of working out in theWeight Room.

He'd be a 330 lb bust!  :D

526851[/snapback]

That is certainly a posibility...

But I know how losing 30 plus lbs. changed my life...It's a lot of weight...Ever picked up a 30 lb. bag of lard?

K...bring on the 370 lb. bag of lard jokes... :P

I always wonder why he never got his own TV show like when he was in college, or radio spot once he turned PRO.. Lack of spot light on me.

526866[/snapback]

Not living in Buffalo anymore, I didn't know that.... but that surprises me as well. On Draft Day 2002, more than any other player he was a big hit on ESPN. Good sense of humor, big ham in front of the camera. Best performance on the EASports commercials that day too.

Not living in Buffalo anymore, I didn't know that.... but that surprises me as well. On Draft Day 2002, more than any other player he was a big hit on ESPN. Good sense of humor, big ham in front of the camera. Best performance on the EASports commercials that day too.

526873[/snapback]

To me he is a head case. Can anyone set this guy up with a PODCAST FAST.

To me he is a head case. 

526879[/snapback]

Ever since that Pre Season problem he had last Year I've wondered if his head was on straight...

It's depressing to talk about Big Mike for me cause when I do think back to that Draft day, he just seemed like such a great Kid...I figured this Big Kid is going to own Buffalo by the time it's all said and done...

Well...at least he's got the money to buy part of the City... :D

I was also a pretty big Mike Williams supporter. I thought he'd be a cog to our oline for the next 10 years, and I still feel that he's a good football player. Overpaid for production sure, but he's had some things happent to him, be it his grandmother, car accident, nagging injuries, shuffling in and out of offensinve line coaches and head coaches, offensive coordinators, that he hasn't been given a real solid chance to succeed.

I wouldn't be suprised if he lands on his feet next year sadly someplace else, as I feel he is still our best offensive linemen as far as run blocking goes, and that's too bad cause the way our offense is built we're gonna need all the good run blocking linemen we can get. Thats if Mularkey ever realizes this team is built to run the ball

I was also a pretty big Mike Williams supporter.  I thought he'd be a cog to our oline for the next 10 years, and I still feel that he's a good football player.  Overpaid for production sure, but he's had some things happent to him, be it his grandmother, car accident, nagging injuries, shuffling in and out of offensinve line coaches and head coaches, offensive coordinators, that he hasn't been given a real solid chance to succeed. 

I wouldn't be suprised if he lands on his feet next year sadly someplace else, as I feel he is still our best offensive linemen as far as run blocking goes, and that's too bad cause the way our offense is built we're gonna need all the good run blocking linemen we can get.  Thats if Mularkey ever realizes this team is built to run the ball

526896[/snapback]

his grandmother's death is a valid excuse for his lack of production?? brett favre's dad died last season i think but he still gave it his all during the game he had to play. im not trying to minimize his grandmother's death(god rest her soul) but i just dont buy that as a valid excuse for his performance. this guy gets paid 10 mill a year to be fat all year and come to camp out of shape every year.

his grandmother's death is a valid excuse for his lack of production?? brett favre's dad died last season i think but he still gave it his all during the game he had to play. im not trying to minimize his grandmother's death(god rest her soul) but i just dont buy that as a valid excuse for his performance. this guy gets paid 10 mill a year to be fat all year and come to camp out of shape every year.

526901[/snapback]

Yeah, a 23 year old losing their mother (all reports were that his grandmother raised him) compared to a 30-something losing their father are completely different animals, especially considering the fact that it's very likely his grandmother was one of the only close relatives he had. The amount of money he makes is completely irrelevent in that situation.

CW

Great, a healthy player is better than a guy with a bad high ankle sprain and some other nagging injuries.  :P

He'll be fine for his new team.  Chances are he won't be here due to his salary, but he'll play elsewhere.

CW

526800[/snapback]

OK, I will begin here:

I have been a big supporter of Mike. I was giddy when we drafted him!

But as I mentioned in a different thread I was also jumping for joy when we went and got Drew! Howd that work out for us? :lol:

I think JJ is a great OL but he had a history of high ankle sprains and some other nagging injuries didn't he? :)

Money is money man and you have to spend it appropiately. TD has decided many players aren't worth what they want. JJ and Winfield come to mind right off the top. And he was right on those calls. Yes I said TD did something right!

Why do you draw an exception for MW and not JJ???? Or maybe you did but JJ is just not todays news?

Rueben has been fine for his new team also. Although unlike so many superficial athletes, Rueben actually cared about us and our community and continues to do so by coming back here annualy long after he is gone.

Hmmmmmmmmm, are we starting to see a trend here? Your boy chases our boys out of here so I would expect that you would expect MW to be leaving.

WTF?????

Our welll repsected and world reknown OL coach cant help him? Sure as hell makes me think that qualiefies him as a BUST.

Rueben, Moulds, Shaw, Adams probably, JJ, Pat Williams, Winfield etc. etc. etc.

And here you are lucky guy hitting free agency and TD calls you and asks you if you want to be a part of this fine organization?

Ya you're right Mike will probably be a star somewhere. But I doubt it will be in the NFL. Too bad, I liked him. I thought he had great quickness and extremely fast feet for a big man. Too bad. Although like Flutie, he may make a great CFL player :D

Next?

Oh and if he's not here due to his salary, yet again shame on TD for that situation. It's his guy isn't it?