Steve Mariucci fired by Lions

Lions | Mariucci fired

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:05:32 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Detroit Lions have fired head coach Steve Mariucci. It was widely speculated Mariucci would be let go by the team following their embarrassing loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving Day. The team has dropped four of their last five games and Mariucci was 15-28 during his two-plus years with the Lions. He has two more seasons left on his five-year, $25 million contract.

wow.

he never liked harrington. maybe with him leaving, harrington will stay as their QB.

Looks like it'll be a steady diet of Joey Harrington for the Lions now. Millen gets his way and can now continue to run that franchise into the ground. I still don't know how they gave that job to a TV commentator in the first place. Maybe they're getting what they deserve.

Looks like it'll be a steady diet of Joey Harrington for the Lions now.  Millen gets his way and can now continue to run that franchise into the ground.  I still don't know how they gave that job to a TV commentator in the first place.  Maybe they're getting what they deserve.

514473[/snapback]

Exactly. It should have been Millen to go. He's been clearly outmatched during his tenure in Detroit. It still boggles my mind that the guy wasted three top 10 choices on WR's--a position that every single scout will tell you takes 3-4 years to develop. He's stuck with 3 high-paid WR's who will basically only become good (maybe) after their contracts run out and they leave Detroit.

Looks like it'll be a steady diet of Joey Harrington for the Lions now.  Millen gets his way and can now continue to run that franchise into the ground.  I still don't know how they gave that job to a TV commentator in the first place.  Maybe they're getting what they deserve.

514473[/snapback]

Isn't this situation similar to ours....TD and Matt Millen are two guys with

big names, but very little to show for from a General Manager perspective...

Yet both team owners have no inclination to move on.....Eventually everything

catches up to the final score....and in that case both TD and MIllen have

losing records with nothing in site to erase those deficits...

Exactly. It should have been Millen to go. He's been clearly outmatched during his tenure in Detroit. It still boggles my mind that the guy wasted three top 10 choices on WR's--a position that every single scout will tell you takes 3-4 years to develop. He's stuck with 3 high-paid WR's who will basically only become good (maybe) after their contracts run out and they leave Detroit.

514569[/snapback]

I heard over the weekend, for what it is worth, that a number of the Lions offensive players have openly expressed their lack of faith in the offense that Marriuci is trying to run...they do look pretty bad. I am not even saying Mooch is not being scape goated here, but when players are openly questioning what the head coach is doing, it means they are losing him. I have Kevin Jones on my FF team, and have been amazed by how little he has been used this year, when he tore things up in the second half of last season...Mooch may be a little too enamored with the West Coast offense, to realize that he doesn't have the personel to run it...the Lions should have a potent offense, but they suck...it is the old addage, you can't fire all the players, so you have to fire the coach. In this day and age, you can't really use the excuse that "it takes 5 years to learn this offense"...nobody has that much time.. The fact that the firing is being done during the season is weasly on Millen's part...trying to save his job....he should be the next to go...

That is 10M remaining in the contract (if properly amortized).....Will RW

pay that much for a guy to be here.....Doubt it...

514574[/snapback]

I don't want Mooch. My Hmmm was: if one old-money owner from Detroit can cut his losses that early, does that give the other old-money owner from Detroit any ideas? ;) I gotta believe Ralph called his old buddy today & had a real nice chat.