Steve Mariucci fired by Lions

Guest BackInDaDay
I don't want Mooch. My Hmmm was: if one old-money owner from Detroit can cut his losses that early, does that give the other old-money owner from Detroit any ideas? ;)

514592[/snapback]

Tennis anyone?

I have Kevin Jones on my FF team, and have been amazed by how little he has been used this year, when he tore things up in the second half of last season...

514582[/snapback]

I'm in the same boat. KJ is sinking my team. It doesn't help that he gets injured in the first minute of games and never finishes them. Right now, I hold out hope for an early TD and 20 yards per game from KJ. It's sad--because the dude could be the best RB in the league.

Isn't this situation similar to ours....TD and Matt Millen are two guys with

big names, but very little to show for from a General Manager perspective...

Yet both team owners have no inclination to move on.....Eventually everything

catches up to the final score....and in that case both TD and MIllen have

losing records with nothing in site to erase those deficits...

514573[/snapback]

With the one minor difference that TD was a proven general manager with a very good track record and very good reputation around the league as for two decades of being a top notch talent and personel evaluator, and Matt Millen had a very good reputation around the league as a player and mediocre analyst wth zero managerial experience or personel evaluator. Otherwise they were identical.

With the one minor difference that TD was a proven general manager with a very good track record and very good reputation around the league as for two decades of being a top notch talent and personel evaluator, and Matt Millen had a very good reputation around the league as a player and mediocre analyst wth zero managerial experience or personel evaluator. Otherwise they were identical.

514624[/snapback]

Was TD a GM at Pittsburgh or a VP of Personnel ?....Because I think personnel

decisions were made by both TD and Cowher together with Cowher getting

the upperhand...Also, I think most of his 20 years in Pitt were spent in the

scouting department....

I thought this was his first job where he had complete authority over

personnel decisions...So I don't understand where the "Good Track Record"

came from....

Isn't this situation similar to ours....TD and Matt Millen are two guys with

big names, but very little to show for from a General Manager perspective...

Yet both team owners have no inclination to move on.....Eventually everything

catches up to the final score....and in that case both TD and MIllen have

losing records with nothing in site to erase those deficits...

514573[/snapback]

I'm not sure TD has "very little to show." He worked his way up from scout and was a very successful GM in Pittsburgh. Millen, on the other hand, never held a personnel or front office job in his life before landing the Lions' gig.

I'm not sure TD has "very little to show." He worked his way up from scout and was a very successful GM in Pittsburgh. Millen, on the other hand, never held a personnel or front office job in his life before landing the Lions' gig.

514643[/snapback]

My "very little to show" comment was with respect to their current GM tenures...

Both Millen and TD have nothing to show for their 4 or 5 years as the

GM of the team.....Both have made bizzare draft day decisions....Both have missed

out on their 2 coaches (GW/MM here and the motorbike riding dude/Mariucci there).

Was TD a GM at Pittsburgh or  a VP of Personnel ?....Because I think personnel

decisions were made by both TD and Cowher together with Cowher getting

the upperhand...Also, I think most of his 20 years in Pitt were spent in the

scouting department....

I thought this was his first job where he had complete authority over

personnel decisions...So I don't understand where the "Good Track Record"

came from....

514631[/snapback]

He was in charge of football operations. He had control over the players, FA and the draft. He hired Cowher in 1992. As the years went by Cowher got a little more power but TD called the shots on the players and the draft. When the team had back to back losing seasons, Cowher wanted more control and they had the power struggle and one of them had to go. Td was known around the league as arguably the best drafter of anyone in the entire decade of the 90s (I just read an article by the guy from Ourlads that said they did a study of the 90s and TD was the best in the league). Cowher had a couple years left on his contract and TD's was up. The Steelers had the choice of allowing a popular coach to leave and still have to pay him or allowing a GM with no contract left to leave, and they did the right thing and kept Cowher.