Coy Wire

stevestojan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah too bad that wasn't his fault.  It was Posey who dropped coverage and should not have.  But go ahead and blame the overtop guy on a short pattern to the endzone. 

Get a clue.  Wire actually played damn good today.

513670[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly.

Yeah too bad that wasn't his fault.  It was Posey who dropped coverage and should not have.  But go ahead and blame the overtop guy on a short pattern to the endzone. 

Get a clue.  Wire actually played damn good today.

513670[/snapback]

For once I agree with you. Don't mind Posey biting on playaction on 3rd&goal from the 3 when everyone in the stadium knew they were going to throw after we stuffed the run on 4 straight plays. It's not as if the #36 guy that Wire replaced has been any great shakes this year either. This thread is gay.

Oh yeah - covering the deep 'over' in the f'ing END ZONE.  The play happened with a guy 'coming across' right in front of him for god's sake.  It doesn't matter if Posey missed initially - it is the resp. of the safety standing right there to make that play.

513732[/snapback]

Defenses only work when EVERYONE does their job. I'm quite sure the Panthers called that play because they KNEW that Posey wouldn't handle it appropriately and that Wire wouldn't be able to compensate for the initial mistake.

Defenses only work when EVERYONE does their job.  I'm quite sure the Panthers called that play because they KNEW that Posey wouldn't handle it appropriately and that Wire wouldn't be able to compensate for the initial mistake.

513803[/snapback]

That's my line of thought as well. One can't place all the blame on Wire when Posey was just as much at fault. If Wire's responsibility was the sideline (which it might have been given the fact that he drifted that way at the snap) I'd say it was primarily Posey's mistake, though Wire didn't help the team out by picking up the slack.

It’s pretty sad but I’m sure everybody just knew that somebody on that D was going to make a mistake or two that cost them the game late. They’ve been doing it for years. They love to cap off a good game with a bad drive that costs the team a game.

In addition, when a defense holds a team to 13 pts, normally your offense can work with that to squeeze out a W, but not with our offensive playcalling.

513861[/snapback]

Not that I disagree with you in principle, but this has been the same line of thought that has defended this defense for years. At some point the D needs to come up big at the end of games even if they've shut the team out until that point. Unfortunately they come up small most of the time.

They both blew it but Wire screwed up more. Posey was supposed to jam Gaines at the LOS and slow him up, releasing him to Wire. However with the mis-direction, it threw Posey off a bit and he didn't get the jam. Then Wire takes a misstep to his left when he should have been going right to shade the TE, lost him, and boom, TD. Go figure, Milloy probably makes that play, but gets hurt just a few plays before. :blink:

BTW, it looked like an Achilles when I first saw it, but didn't notice any foot drop when he walked to the sidelines. I haven't heard any reports so I'm assuming no news is good news.

Oh please - another CWAC with the "playing out of position excuse" - give me a !@#$ing break.  He isn't a linebacker - and he can't play safety - so he shouldn't be playing at all.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this excuse too.  He's a SAFETY on that play - WTF do you think a safety's supposed to do?  He's supposed to cover that area if a player gets into it.  The catch happens right in front of him for Gods sake!  A good or even decent safety makes that play. 

Funny - haven't heard anything from the CWACs this year on Coy our SPECIAL TEAMS DEMON.  Does he even have a single tackle on STs this year?  He's a !@#$ing joke.

513710[/snapback]

The only thing that touchdown caused was Buffalo getting the ball back sooner. You think our D was really going to stop them? They should've let them score sooner.

On the deciding play, strong safety Coy Wire, who replaced an injured Lawyer Milloy, was slow to react as Gaines came open in the end zone.

"It was just a Cover One where when the tight end comes up, you basically have to play him tighter," Wire said. "I didn't have the right positioning on him."

BN

No more excuses

BN

No more excuses

514254[/snapback]

And he wasn't quick to react but it wasn't his responsibility. His job was to help not be the main cover guy. In an Endzone route like that there is very little time to react and he was leaning to the outside to help on a receiver. He didn't expect the backer to drop coverage.

Cover One - Man-to-man coverage with at least one safety not assigned a player to cover who can help out on deep pass routes.

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/A/America...ive-schemes.htm

BN

No more excuses

514254[/snapback]

Shhhhhhhhh....

The apologists don't want to hear this. It was all Posey's fault. (mind you even if it was, Posey doesn't have a career record of being the guy that's getting paid based soley on 'heart').

Why Coy Wire is in the NFL boggles my mind. Wonder why the Bills haven't shopped him yet? Oh that's right... no one (repeat NO ONE) would take him.

But then again, he CAN jump out of the shallow end of a pool....