Arbitrator to be fired for T.O. decision

PromoTheRobot

Unions are all about fairness, as long as it's their definition of fair. 

Protecting labor, one lost job at a time.

511562[/snapback]

Don't get me started on the !@#$in union topic today. Our union recently had a vote to accept/reject the latest contract between them and our company. Unfortunately, the union failed to send us a copy of the contract we were suppose to vote on. How the !@#$ am I suppose to make an educated vote when I don't know what the hell I am voting on. On top of that we had to travel an hour away (2 hours round trip) just to cast a vote. I've been a member for 5 months and have never received anything from them. No contact numbers, no handbooks, nothing... Yet, they never have any problems taking $12 a week out of my paycheck. Bastards.

</rant>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me started on the !@#$in union topic today.  Our union recently had a vote to accept/reject the latest contract between them and our company.  Unfortunately, the union failed to send us a copy of the contract we were suppose to vote on.  How the !@#$ am I suppose to make an educated vote when I don't know what the hell I am voting on.  On top of that we had to travel an hour away (2 hours round trip) just to cast a vote.  I've been a member for 5 months and have never received anything from them. No contact numbers, no handbooks, nothing...  Yet, they never have any problems taking $12 a week out of my paycheck.  Bastards.

</rant>

512293[/snapback]

Sounds like you need to get active in your union and make it do the job it is supposed to do.

The whole union stichk seems to be that folks need to get organized or get rolled over. This is true for the individuak whether its corporate management rolling over them or some idiotic union bosses.

If you judge the cards, the rules or tradition is stacked against you and you can't win, then no outside party like folks on a bulletin board are going to make a difference and your cries are merely whining an Dust in the Wind (to quote an old makeout song).

On the other hand, if you want to fight them and beat them (the union or management idiots) then this voice is with you brudda (to quote Hawaii 5-0) and if you there is something tangible to be done to help you fight, let us know the specifics and i am happy to do what I can.

We live with a capitalistic economic system. The purpose of any company, be it Ford, GM, whatever, is NOT to supply people with jobs. It's to make as much profit for the shareholders as possible or to supply a service to the taxpayers at the smallest cost.

The purpose of Unions is to get as much for their members as possible, and who gives a **** about the shareholders or taxpayers.

I think what we're seeing a lot of recently is that unions have actually been doing their jobs too well over the past decades. Companies are going bankrupt and cities are getting control boards to break the unions. What got lost for a lot of unions is that these companies do not exist to supply them with jobs and they bit too much of the hand that fed them.

RTB

We live with a capitalistic economic system. The purpose of any company, be it Ford, GM, whatever, is NOT to supply people with jobs. It's to make as much profit for the shareholders as possible or to supply a service to the taxpayers at the smallest cost.

The purpose of Unions is to get as much for their members as possible, and who gives a **** about the shareholders or taxpayers.

I think what we're seeing a lot of recently is that unions have actually been doing their jobs too well over the past decades. Companies are going bankrupt and cities are getting control boards to break the unions. What got lost for a lot of unions is that these companies do not exist to supply them with jobs and they bit too much of the hand that fed them.

RTB

512308[/snapback]

Perhaps people don't exist just to provide corporations with cheap, dangerous labor. This all has exactly what to do with Terrell Owens?

how do people at wall mart pay for that $ 45,ooo car, who will buy the big price items .work extra hours for nothing at the wall mart . just pit everyone on the gov. pay roll.  GO UNIONS

512321[/snapback]

Anyone versed enough in gibberish to translate this for me? Thanks in advance.

You might be waiting for awhile for someone to accept your appreciation on that one.  I have a few codebreakers working on it and it's going to take days.

512328[/snapback]

As a highly trained Cryptologic Linguist Technician with over twenty years experience, I've determined the statement in question contains key hidden indicators that are essential to an insider's knowledge of the American economic system. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means. I input it into one of the Cray computers below the National Security Agency, and it reported back that I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.

"Oh stewardess! I speak jive."

While unions are indeed going the way of the dinosaur in the competitive private sector, they've found it all too easy to proliferate in the public sector. A union is an excellent mechanism for exerting political pressure on a legislative body. Usually the political pressure is for more public sector jobs (and therefore fewer private jobs). This socialization of the economy means the union's bosses get to be bosses of a bigger, more powerful union with more money to spend.

511675[/snapback]

Good post. See Canada for public service unions way out of control.

Okay, since we are drawing conclusions about people for no reason, IBGT81, I will assume that you are a white, middle to upper class male who has never had to really rely on a union for anything...your parents paid for your college education.  You never really had to worry about money while you were growing up. You see yourself as some free thinker, a rugged individualist, amongst a bunch of idiots. Your parents did well for themselves, and passed it all on to you.  You have no eartly clue why others can't be like you.  You know one of those who can't see anything beyond their own existence... The kind that uses Ron Jeremy as their visual identity and thinks themselves bold and funny?  Am I close?:lol:

512272[/snapback]

I'm a social worker living in NJ. Yeah, I make the big bucks... :lol:

Fact of the matter is, unions go against the economic system. A flag waver is just that; ANYBODY can do it. It doesn't require some special skill, or any special intelligence. But because this flag waver is in a union, he makes $40 an hour.

God, I hate unions... :lol:

512229[/snapback]

Gosh, when I was responding the last time, the magnificent stupidity of this statement hadn't set in...I take it all back...you are very simple...what world are you living in?

512273[/snapback]

Care to explain, oh worldly one?

I'm not a member of a union and my one experience with them saw them really fail to represent the workers they were trying to organize so my personal experience with unions is non-existent and bad in my episode.

However, though they are bad, the alternative they work to balance of corporate manaqement seems worse to me in many cases,

GM and Ford are excellent examples. As horrendous as the UAW seems to be in many cases, the corporate management of these two companies seems demonstrably worse to me.

Ford and GM management had a dominant position in the market through the sixties which certainly could have allowed them to even try to pursue a seemingly intelligent money making strategy of making the best cars.

It was not the unions which stopped them from doing this as the Japanese with the "burdens" of the lifetime employment that all workers get there and their socialized medical system built better cars.  The Europeans operated with a social welfare state which taxed corporations at a much higher rate than America but still produced cars like Volvo that emphasized safety or the Volkswagen bug which catered to the lower end of the market.

GM and Ford managers simply built bad cars and though they began to get their act together as imports swept past them.  They unfortunately did not keep up the push to simply develop better cars and instead focused their time and powerful marketing to pushing SUVs and muscle cars.

Now that reality had changed once again and gas prices have shot up, GM finds itself near bankrunptcy and Ford is struggling to enter a hybrid marketplace which they had left to Toyota and Honda and the Japanese now dominate.

Unions are certainly bad, but the corporate leaders are worse.

The American way is one which instead is dedicated toward the individual. This allowed folks to make their own bed and sleep in it without the guarantee of lifetime jobs of Japan or the social welfare of Europe.  However, within this freedom corporate leaders can be stupid and unions can come together to battle with tese corporate idiots even if they are stupid also.

It isn't fair but hey life is not fair.

512245[/snapback]

I agree with the point that the management at Ford and GM is bad.

I disagree with you on the social safety net impact on buisness.

in europe and canada the government picks up the tab for healthcare and pensions (or at least they do to a much greater extent than in the USA), this is an advantage for a unionized corporations cost base. by not having to pay these costs for workers, the employer can save money and avoid legacy contracts that cost the employer well into the former employee's retirement.

european corporations (and american operations in europe) get big fat subsidies and tax breaks (the republic of ireland is the best example) to thelp them compete with lower cost competiters, they also get some pork by way of tariffs and trade restrictions (the us does as well, just to a lesser extent).

the costs for all of the above is taken out on consumers and taxpayers.

the health care system in the USA is far from private in the sense that the government is heavily involved in it at every level (this is more in response to another post above).

I'm a social worker living in NJ. Yeah, I make the big bucks... :lol:

512533[/snapback]

So, then you see the idiocy of calling someone an idiot, when you have no earthly idea what the fug you are talking about...

In my job I help people without medical insurance get assistance in paying their medical bills (I am positive I make no more than you, maybe even less)...it is amazing how many of these people who have jobs that either offer no medical insurance, or the medical insurance costs far more than they can afford on their salaries. Many have kids who are uninsured...these are the same people that companies like Wal-Mart make their billions on. These people are not making $40 an hour to waive flags. They are stocking the shelves at grocery stores, unloading trucks for large manufacturers... all the grunt work that make big companies very wealthy. As a social worker, I find it surprising that you would have such a hostile attitude labor.

Unions, when they are working right (and I will be the first to admitt that they don't always) try to close some of the disparities in the working world. If Wal-Mart is making so much money, why should all of the prophets go to so few, at the expense of so many?

So, then you see the idiocy of calling someone an idiot, when you have no earthly idea what the fug you are talking about...

In my job I help people without medical insurance get assistance in paying their medical bills (I am positive I make no more than you, maybe even less)...it is amazing how many of these people who have jobs that either offer no medical insurance, or the medical insurance costs far more than they can afford on their salaries. Many have kids who are uninsured...these are the same people that companies like Wal-Mart make their billions on. These people are not making $40 an hour to waive flags.  They are stocking the shelves at grocery stores, unloading trucks for large manufacturers... all the grunt work that make big companies very wealthy.  As a social worker, I find it surprising that you would have such a hostile attitude labor. 

Unions, when they are working right (and I will be the first to admitt that they don't always) try to close some of the disparities in the working world.  If Wal-Mart is making so much money, why should all of the prophets go to so few, at the expense of so many?

512595[/snapback]

Sorry my firend, it's simple economic theory. You should only get paid what the market allows you to get paid. Don't like it? Find a new job, or become educated. :lol:

I was the Manager of Labor Relations for one of the largest company's in the U.S. Regarding the GM/Ford issue it is so obvious that weak management was the reason these companies are in the shape they are in. Failure to stand up to the unions in negotiations are pitiful in the area of health care. No solvent company pays the type of health care benefits GM/Ford does. Sound benefits management has workers participating in medical contributions and deductibles. Anyone who has fully paid medical and no or small deductibles are going to have employees who abuse the medical program with runaway costs....it's just a fact of life.

GM/Ford had no guts to take on the unions on this issue years ago and are paying dearly for it....the UAW can B word all they want, but NOBODY in industry has the medical coverages they do and stay in business.

RTB

512308[/snapback]

I've rarely seen a case made that unions have become too efficient.

But it is an interesting perspective.

If Wal-Mart is making so much money, why should all of the prophets go to so few, at the expense of so many?

512595[/snapback]

Profits go to those who take initiative, take chances, bust their balls, and are willing to take greater risks than anyone else. Stop blaming the people with the money. People have a choice to do what they want, work where they want, earn what they want and risk what they want. The simple fact that some people are better at it than others doesn't mean those who are better at it should start giving money to those who are not. That's just ridiculous.

(Oh, we have too much money. Let's start giving it to other people.)

Please. You lefties are so !@#$ing co-dependant, it's downright scary.