Why Jerry Sullivan is a dick. Reason #235

Kelly the Dog

You can't criticize the Bills. Management or God forbid players.

If your a "good Bills fan" you put the rosies on firmly and fill up the glass again.

When your 3-5 there is a reason and writers like Sully are supposed to point them out.

I like his column. Cripe we have enough cheerleaders that will follow the wagon down another losing season.

499580[/snapback]

Who said you couldn't criticize the Bills management or players? No one. The post is about reporting, not whether Big Mike is good or not.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of it, as usual, is well founded. Some isn't.

So, what "isn't"?  All of it's right on.  Quibble about your 4 "smoking gun" harmless and innocuous words?  What reporter states all of facts and reveals everything?  They all put theri own slant and spin on anything they report.  Have you listened to the news lately or notice how headlines hook you... and then in context isn't what it seems to be? In a nutshell,  there ain't a reporter on the planet that could not be called a "dick".

499516[/snapback]

What isn't is the idea, IMO, that it is automatically a demotion. I think Big Mike has been a disappointment this season, most of which has been due to his injury. He has played one game when not hurt. I also think he has been a rather large disappointment in his career. I agree with Sullivan that he has only shown flashes of greatness. What isn't is saying Mike Williams is "shallow", it is a cheap shot. What isn't is saying Mike williams is the most important draft pick in TD's career. I would think Clements or McGahee or even Losman is the most important pick. That's my opinion, Sullivan is entitled to his.

I think the Bills are definitely trying to get their best five on the line and one of those five is Peters and another of those five is Williams. And they're getting rid of the worst of the previous five, Anderson. You are not going to put an athletic, fast healthy player at guard when he has been just asked to learn tackle. You ARE going to put your hobbling huge guy who has more difficulty pass blocking there. Tell me, who do you think is a better combination? Peters at guard and Williams at tackle, or Williams at guard and Peters at tackle? I know you will answer "they all suck" but that is only because that is your nature, just badmouth and never think or answer or be realistic.

That would have been a perfectly fair, if not good article if he didn't add that last snide disingenuous line, which was not just regular reporters reporting, that was regular **** being a regular ****.

If I recall correctly, Sullivan was all in favor of drafting Williams over McKinnie -- prior to the draft.

499394[/snapback]

Correct you are:

I downloaded this via Nexis...just goes to show why 235 reasons aren't nearly enough when it comes to Sully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONAHOE'S 'STUD' POKER TACTICS LAND NATION'S BEST RUN BLOCKER

By: Jerry Sullivan

The Buffalo News

April 21, 2002

It would have been a lot more dramatic if the Drew Bledsoe deal had gone through. All day long, I had my fingers positioned over the computer keys, ready to declare it the Bills' most significant personnel upgrade since Jim Kelly rolled into town in 1986.

But it was a good day for the home team just the same. General Manager Tom Donahoe, who would make a fine poker player, did the wise thing on draft day. After all the speculation about trading down, he stayed in the No. 4 slot and nabbed offensive tackle Mike Williams, who should be a mammoth mainstay for years to come.

The more the Bills' personnel men looked at it, and the more time they spent examining their needs and weighing the possibilities, the more obvious it became that Williams was the guy. In the end, all the talk about trading down was just that. Talk. No one called the Bills, seeking to move up, and the Bills weren't calling anyone, either.

That's how sure they were about Williams, an uncommonly nimble 375-pounder from the University of Texas. Donahoe said it would have taken an "unbelievable" offer to move them out of the fourth hole in the draft. When their time came, they barely hesitated and made him the highest-drafted offensive lineman in franchise history.

Donahoe has a reputation for trading down on draft day. Maybe he could have traded down, grabbed a defensive lineman and picked up an extra pick in the process. But at some point, it's not about extra picks. It's about finding a player who is so good, so remarkably gifted, that you have to take him.

It had been a long time since the Bills drafted that sort of player. They hadn't picked in the top 10 since Shane Conlan in 1987. From 1991 to 2001, they had just one pick in the top 20 -- Ruben Brown at No. 14 in 1995. They hadn't picked an offensive lineman in the first OR second round since '95.

So the time had come for the Bills to get a stud, and even more imperative to address the position that has been in disarray almost since their last Super Bowl trip: offensive line. Donahoe has done a terrific job filling holes on his team, adding depth and skill through free agency. But if you're going to win the Super Bowl, you need a core of players who went high in the draft. Williams is a good start.

LSU's Josh Reed was a surprise in the second round, but there wasn't a more productive receiver in college last season. We're not talking about a player from some obscure conference. He player in the SEC and had 19 catches for 293 yards against Alabama. Presumably, the Bills are already preparing for Peerless Price's departure in free agency after the season.

There are still big questions on defense. How do they intend to stop the run? With Tyrone Robertson and Ron Edwards? Might they be waiting to scoop up some free agent linemen when NFL teams purge their rosters after June 1? And who is going to quarterback this team? If not Bledsoe, then who? Will they go back to Jeff Blake? Or will it be Alex Van Pelt's team?

One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line. :lol: Last year, he was roasted for failing to take Kenyatta Walker in the first round. The O-line was bad, and injuries made it worse. At times, the Bills were forced to start tackles who were barely qualified as backups.

Donahoe bristled whenever Walker's name was mentioned; he was quick to point out that Nate Clements, the cornerback he'd taken instead, had acquitted himself well in his rookie year. He said Jonas Jennings, his third-rounder, would perform like a top pick. Still, he knew the line was a problem, and he did something about it.

Donahoe had been cagey about his intentions. When he signed Marcus Price and Trey Teague in free agency, it fed speculation that the Bills were going defense in Round One. But Donahoe wanted a superstar on his offensive line, a player who could be the engine for a legitimate power running attack.

"If we want to be a quality football team, it starts with the offensive line," Donahoe said Saturday after selecting Williams. "That's the No. 1 priority. We have to get better there. Once you get better there and you're able to control the ball, it makes your whole team better. A quality offensive line, where you put your team in the position to control the ball for 33, 34, 35 minutes a game, it improves your defense."

If Williams is as good as advertised, he'll also help the defense. If you run well, you keep your defense off the field. You send them back out with better field position. As offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride :wacko: says, you dictate to the opposition rather than vice versa.

Football is a simple game. Run and stop the run. Last year, the Bills were constantly in second-and-long. That's a recipe for offensive disaster. It also exposes your quarterback to injury because long down-and-distance plays invite pass rushers to pin their ears back and come after you. Run effectively on first down and it's a different game.

The Bills have drafted the best run blocker in America. Tailback Travis Henry has to be the happiest guy in town -- along with Brown, who has a star quality tackle to play alongside, and with a personality to rival his own. One of those draft-day commercials on ESPN concluded Sunday with Williams saying, "The camera loves me."

The quarterbacks will love him, too; a good running game is a QB's best friend. I don't know who it will be, or how good an arm he has. But if this thing works out as planned, he'll do some of his best work handing off.

e-mail: jsullivan@buffnews.com

Correct you are:

I downloaded this via Nexis...just goes to show why 235 reasons aren't nearly enough when it comes to Sully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By:  Jerry Sullivan

The Buffalo News

April 21, 2002

It would have been a lot more dramatic if the Drew Bledsoe deal had gone through. All day long, I had my fingers positioned over the computer keys, ready to declare it the Bills' most significant personnel upgrade since Jim Kelly rolled into town in 1986.

But it was a good day for the home team just the same. General Manager Tom Donahoe, who would make a fine poker player, did the wise thing on draft day. After all the speculation about trading down, he stayed in the No. 4 slot and nabbed offensive tackle Mike Williams, who should be a mammoth mainstay for years to come.

. . .

499791[/snapback]

Nicely done. Instead of typing up another "you stink!" rant to send to Mr. Sullivan, perhaps a few of you should merely copy/paste this into your e-mail browsers ...

The truth hurts, thus the hate for his articles.

His job isn't to kiss the a**** of the Bills management.

499420[/snapback]

Right on!

The writers reflect the state of the team. The team is in the crapper - expect articles that say so.

If you want cheerleaders to feed you untrue fluff - go elsewhere numbskulls!!

According to the numbers he's given up .25 less sacks in four more starts (two more games) than Big Mike. Also he has yet to be penalized this year and I don't think the Vikings have plans shifting him from Left OT to OG.

499390[/snapback]

The Vikings' offense sucks. Worse than ours.

But McKinnie has to be good because the stats say so. :wacko:

This morning's article is his usual blathering and blasting TD and the Bills and coaches. Some of it, as usual, is well founded. Some isn't. But the main thrust was that Mike Williams is underperforming and the coaches and TD want to say that he is still good and this wasn't a demotion, which he repeatedly infers is just bull sh--. Which is true. He starts out the article ribbing TD for circulating an article at PFW about how poorly Bryant McKinnie has been playing. And ends it with an incredibly snide remark about how in wednesday's Pioneer Press there was a little blurb about how "Bryant McKinnie is quietly having an outstanding season", which he quoted.

He just failed to keep the last four words of that quote from the Press, which were "according to the coaches" in an article mostly criticizing the Vikings offense and the "laughable" prediction of their coach:  "We will be excellent on offense. That's one thing I can stand here and promise you. I know offense.", and that Michael bennett will have 1600 yards.

Nice job, Jerry. Tool.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13117358.htm

499311[/snapback]

As if we needed another reason.

Right on!

The writers reflect the state of the team. The team is in the crapper - expect articles that say so.

If you want cheerleaders to feed you untrue fluff - go elsewhere numbskulls!!

499815[/snapback]

Gee, I dunno - from reading that old column, it sounds like Sully was the one waving the pom-poms back when Williams was drafted.

I hope he keeps it up.  With writing like that, it's only a matter of time before The New York Times hires him and we never have to hear from him again.

Note to idiot reporters:  The entire world has access to this "internet" thing that lets us perform quick "fact checks".  You are advised not to make things up.

499328[/snapback]

You're right Dork.

How about a long story to make a valid point? In the Air Force, I had a Tech Sgt. who didn't exactly see eye to eye with me.... On my performance report I got NAILED and thoroughly WHIPPED, but he did something that saved him from re-writing it again. He included a qualifying statement that I, indeed, was the worst Airman on the planet, however, if I worked "hard", I might show necessary improvement...Anyway, the point is that Sullivan did use a word that helps him in his analysis... IF!! If Mike Williams is as good as advertised, all these great scouting reports about him being a stud blocker and/or a superstar in the making will obviously benefit the Buffalo Bills and their defense. It's amazing how one LITTLE word means sooooo much!!!

I hope he keeps it up.  With writing like that, it's only a matter of time before The New York Times hires him and we never have to hear from him again.

Note to idiot reporters:  The entire world has access to this "internet" thing that lets us perform quick "fact checks".  You are advised not to make things up.

499328[/snapback]

God only knows, everything on the "internet" is true...why should Sully aim for the NY Times, why not press secratary for the prez?

SnF, you have inspired me to write the Buffalo News Sunday Sports Letters. I also copied this to Jerry Sullivan himself:

"General Manager Tom Donahoe, who would make a fine poker player, did the wise thing on draft day. After all the speculation about trading down, he stayed in the No. 4 slot and nabbed offensive tackle Mike Williams, who should be a mammoth mainstay for years to come. "

"Donahoe has done a terrific job filling holes on his team, adding depth and skill through free agency. But if you're going to win the Super Bowl, you need a core of players who went high in the draft. Williams is a good start."

"One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line."

Who wrote these optimistic observations of the Buffalo Bills general manager? Why, none other than one Jerry Sullivan on April 21, 2002! How can Mr. Sullivan take Tom Donahoe to task for drafting Mike Williams, when Jerry himself was leading the parade for Mike?

If we are going to judge Tom Donahoe's draft picks in hindsight, then perhaps we should do the same with the columns of Jerry Sullivan.

Sincerely,

PTR

Correct you are:

The Buffalo News

April 21, 2002

The more the Bills' personnel men looked at it, and the more time they spent examining their needs and weighing the possibilities, the more obvious it became that Williams was the guy. In the end, all the talk about trading down was just that. Talk. No one called the Bills, seeking to move up, and the Bills weren't calling anyone, either.

That's how sure they were about Williams, an uncommonly nimble 375-pounder from the University of Texas. Donahoe said it would have taken an "unbelievable" offer to move them out of the fourth hole in the draft. When their time came, they barely hesitated and made him the highest-drafted offensive lineman in franchise history.

Donahoe has a reputation for trading down on draft day. Maybe he could have traded down, grabbed a defensive lineman and picked up an extra pick in the process. But at some point, it's not about extra picks. It's about finding a player who is so good, so remarkably gifted, that you have to take him.

It had been a long time since the Bills drafted that sort of player. They hadn't picked in the top 10 since Shane Conlan in 1987. From 1991 to 2001, they had just one pick in the top 20 -- Ruben Brown at No. 14 in 1995. They hadn't picked an offensive lineman in the first OR second round since '95.

So the time had come for the Bills to get a stud, and even more imperative to address the position that has been in disarray almost since their last Super Bowl trip: offensive line. Donahoe has done a terrific job filling holes on his team, adding depth and skill through free agency. But if you're going to win the Super Bowl, you need a core of players who went high in the draft. Williams is a good start.

LSU's Josh Reed was a surprise in the second round, but there wasn't a more productive receiver in college last season. We're not talking about a player from some obscure conference. He player in the SEC and had 19 catches for 293 yards against Alabama. Presumably, the Bills are already preparing for Peerless Price's departure in free agency after the season.

There are still big questions on defense. How do they intend to stop the run? With Tyrone Robertson and Ron Edwards? Might they be waiting to scoop up some free agent linemen when NFL teams purge their rosters after June 1? And who is going to quarterback this team? If not Bledsoe, then who? Will they go back to Jeff Blake? Or will it be Alex Van Pelt's team?

One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line. :lol:  Last year, he was roasted for failing to take Kenyatta Walker in the first round. The O-line was bad, and injuries made it worse. At times, the Bills were forced to start tackles who were barely qualified as backups.

Donahoe bristled whenever Walker's name was mentioned; he was quick to point out that Nate Clements, the cornerback he'd taken instead, had acquitted himself well in his rookie year. He said Jonas Jennings, his third-rounder, would perform like a top pick. Still, he knew the line was a problem, and he did something about it.

Donahoe had been cagey about his intentions. When he signed Marcus Price and Trey Teague in free agency, it fed speculation that the Bills were going defense in Round One. But Donahoe wanted a superstar on his offensive line, a player who could be the engine for a legitimate power running attack.

"If we want to be a quality football team, it starts with the offensive line," Donahoe said Saturday after selecting Williams. "That's the No. 1 priority. We have to get better there. Once you get better there and you're able to control the ball, it makes your whole team better. A quality offensive line, where you put your team in the position to control the ball for 33, 34, 35 minutes a game, it improves your defense."

If Williams is as good as advertised, he'll also help the defense. If you run well, you keep your defense off the field. You send them back out with better field position. As offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride   :wacko: says, you dictate to the opposition rather than vice versa.

Football is a simple game. Run and stop the run. Last year, the Bills were constantly in second-and-long. That's a recipe for offensive disaster. It also exposes your quarterback to injury because long down-and-distance plays invite pass rushers to pin their ears back and come after you. Run effectively on first down and it's a different game.

The Bills have drafted the best run blocker in America. Tailback Travis Henry has to be the happiest guy in town -- along with Brown, who has a star quality tackle to play alongside, and with a personality to rival his own. One of those draft-day commercials on ESPN concluded Sunday with Williams saying, "The camera loves me."

The quarterbacks will love him, too; a good running game is a QB's best friend. I don't know who it will be, or how good an arm he has. But if this thing works out as planned, he'll do some of his best work handing off.

499791[/snapback]

The truth hurts, thus the hate for his articles.

His job isn't to kiss the a**** of the Bills management.

499420[/snapback]

Bingo! And yet, Sullivan is a dickhead for doing his job, but Tom Donahoe (a failure as a GM) isn't a dickhead for circulating PFW around that media day.

I give Sullivan credit for having some pride on challenging a smug-ass GM, who has done nothing while in Buffalo, and throwing back in his face what TD himself started with the PFW chirade. The more that comes out about Donahoe, they more you can see he's full of himself. Looks like his reputation coming our of PIttsburgh is well deserved.

Now, and thank god, but still......now, you have a NFL offensive co-ordinator for a NFL team that applies for a job at TEMPLE for christs sakes. Think all is well under the Tom Donahow reign? Think again.

FIFTH YEAR, and nothing to show for it.

Correct you are:

The Buffalo News

April 21, 2002

One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line. :lol:  Last year, he was roasted for failing to take Kenyatta Walker in the first round. The O-line was bad, and injuries made it worse. At times, the Bills were forced to start tackles who were barely qualified as backups.

If Williams is as good as advertised, he'll also help the defense. If you run well, you keep your defense off the field. You send them back out with better field position. As offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride   :wacko: says, you dictate to the opposition rather than vice versa.

499791[/snapback]

LMAO.....and while I like Sully for firing back at TD's little chirade of passing out PFW in a media session.....this is priceless. LMAO

You need to attach this article and email it to Sullivan. I agree 100% about what Sully said today, HOWEVER, he shouldn't have been the one to write it!

Email this to Sullivan and see what he has to say!

Based on what?  Because McKinnie, after four friggin years of being a waste of a roster spot, is finally starting to play well?

Like I said in an earlier post, to blame TD for drafting Mike Williams is total hor$esh--.  Mike Williams was an accross-the-board unanimous top pick at his position when he was drafted.  No one though he had any issues that would have prevnted him from becoming a star NFL player.  In fact, in the years since, it looked like Williams was a better pick than the underachieving, troublmaking McKinnie in Minnesota!

499657[/snapback]

You have no idea what you're talking about. McKinnie has underachieved, but he has rare talent, so it's relative. He's been good, he's been out there EVERY

game and is rounding into elite status at the critical left tackle position. You had no idea how the guy was playing this year, you were just spouting BS to defend the MW pick.

There WERE doubters of Williams. He had a bad knee. He had a weight problem. His footwork in pass protection couldn't have been much worse. He was NOT the dominant player in college McKinnie was. Donahoe got paralyzed by overananlysis, and so did a lot of non-college football watchers like Sullivan.

Your arguments on this subject have been pure nonsense, the only people who have thought that Williams was a better pick than McKinnie have been the kool aid drinking Bills fans who tried to dig up trash articles on McKinnie every time Williams managed to string a few starts together.

Facts are facts. McKinnie plays LT, Williams is a G or RT. McKinnie plays every game, Williams watches from the tub. McKinnie is going to Honolulu this February, Williams is going to the couch at his mama's house with a 50 gallon drum of dead animal slathered in barbecue sauce. Williams is grossly overpaid, McKinnie is a good value for a LT. It is what it is.

I actually like TD, but I'm not going to blow smoke. I knew McKinnie was the best choice for the Bills, but I didn't HATE the Williams pick because I just placed my faith in Donahoe that he knew what he was doing and Williams would be a better pro than he was in college. However, it was only a matter of months before it became clear he was not the LT of the future, but a lumbering RT. He wasn't more than what he looked like on the field Texas, that's ALL he was.

If Williams could have not lived up to being grossly out of shape and not had a series of leg injuries the pick would have at least been productive and I could live with that. But he is what he is, and worst of all, it turns out that the Mike Williams they drafted was nothing like the gregarious pre-draft fellow he pretended to be. Turns out, Donahoe got snookered in the interview room again(see Gregg Williams). Time to face the facts, Williams was a bad pick. Four years of mostly bad football and DNP's is a pretty fair indicator. I hope he becomes a great guard and plays here for another decade, but the statute of limitiations is up on defending Donahoe for that cutesy pick.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  McKinnie has underachieved, but he has rare talent, so it's relative.  He's been good, he's been out there EVERY

game and is rounding into elite status at the critical left tackle position.  You had no idea how the guy was playing this year, you were just spouting BS to defend the MW pick.

There WERE doubters of Williams.  He had a bad knee.  He had a weight problem.  His footwork in pass protection couldn't have been much worse.  He was NOT the dominant player in college McKinnie was.  Donahoe got paralyzed by overananlysis, and so did a lot of non-college football watchers like Sullivan.

Your arguments on this subject have been pure nonsense, the only people who have thought that Williams was a better pick than McKinnie have been the kool aid drinking Bills fans who tried to dig up trash articles on McKinnie every time Williams managed to string a few starts together.

Facts are facts.  McKinnie plays LT, Williams is a G or RT.  McKinnie plays every game, Williams watches from the tub.  McKinnie is going to Honolulu this February, Williams is going to the couch at his mama's house with a 50 gallon drum of dead animal slathered in barbecue sauce.  Williams is grossly overpaid,  McKinnie is a good value for a LT.  It is what it is.

I actually like TD, but I'm not going to blow smoke.  I knew McKinnie was the best choice for the Bills, but I didn't HATE the Williams pick because I just placed my faith in Donahoe that he knew what he was doing and Williams would be a better pro than he was in college.  However, it was only a matter of months before it became clear he was not the LT of the future, but a lumbering RT.  He wasn't more than what he looked like on the field Texas, that's ALL he was.

If Williams could have not lived up to being grossly out of shape and not had a series of leg injuries the pick would have at least been productive and I could live with that.  But he is what he is, and worst of all, it turns out that the Mike Williams they drafted was nothing like the gregarious pre-draft fellow he pretended to be.  Turns out, Donahoe got snookered in the interview room again(see Gregg Williams).  Time to face the facts, Williams was a bad pick.  Four years of mostly bad football and DNP's is a pretty fair indicator.  I hope he becomes a great guard and plays here for another decade, but the statute of limitiations is up on defending Donahoe for that cutesy pick.

500062[/snapback]

Well done Bad'ol, well done!