Kelly may not be the answer

When will you guys realize that JP is not the solution.  Who are you kidding?

Some guys have it - some don't.  JP is just too soft for the NFL. 

I'm not trying to be negative - just realisitc.  Bills need to rebuild their O-Line and bring in a new QB.

495118[/snapback]

We won't know what Losman has until he plays a bit more. I'm sure he's no Peyton Manning, but I'm also sure he isn't a Ryan Leaf. Let's run him through this season and find out. Hell, we aren't playing like a playoff time so let's find out what we have. If he doesn't work out, get another quarterback.

When will you guys realize that JP is not the solution.  Who are you kidding?

Some guys have it - some don't.  JP is just too soft for the NFL. 

I'm not trying to be negative - just realisitc.  Bills need to rebuild their O-Line and bring in a new QB.

495118[/snapback]

Way to go out on a limb with this one.

Listen here Mr. Smarty Pants.  I am the resident TBD know-it-all.  JP is not a bust until I say he's a bust.  When, and if, I say it... you can take it to the bank.

495271[/snapback]

Thank you for setting him and the record straight. :)

I don't really know when I will.  But I'll tell you this, to make that statement after 4 games is just dumb.  Way too early.

495727[/snapback]

Yes, but no dumber than those who say after 4 games that he's going to be good and only needs time starting. We can't tell either way.

So the question is: how much time do we give him? A season and a half starting seems reasonable to me. But suppose he turns out not to be the answer - what do we do then? If we want to prepare ourselves in case he does not work out, then we either draft a contingency qb in '06 to sit while JP plays next year, or we go after a veteren in '07.

So basically, I'm asking how long a trial period, and what the contingency plan ought to be.

atleast with eli you can see potential. even during eli's first 4 starts you can see him making some really good plays. you an tell he had IT.or should i say,you can see IT coming/developing.

i can just tell that losman is garbage.the guy should not be in the nfl period. he has zero qb skills and will go down as one of the worst first round buf picks ever. i see nothing from this guy that says different. believe me, all i needed was 4 games to see the most OBVIOUS. this guy does not have it.

atleast with eli you can see potential. even during eli's first 4 starts you can see him making some really good plays. you an tell he had IT.or should i say,you can see IT coming/developing.

i can just tell that losman is garbage.the guy should not be in the nfl period. he has zero qb skills and will go down as one of the worst first round buf picks ever. i see nothing from this guy that says different. believe me, all i needed was 4 games to see the most OBVIOUS. this guy does not have it.

496259[/snapback]

And we should give a crap about your "insight" why? Because your a Pats fan...the greatest , most knowledgable fans in the game?

It figures you're scouting Eli Manning so closely. Your team is about to spiral into the crapper, so you're latching quickly on to the Giants...you know, the team you rooted for 15 years ago. Time to get those dusty Giants pennants out of your garage. When do you think it's safe for you to put them up?

The idiot's version. Thanks for sharing.

We won't know what Losman has until he plays a bit more. I'm sure he's no Peyton Manning, but I'm also sure he isn't a Ryan Leaf.  Let's run him through this season and find out.  Hell, we aren't playing like a playoff time so let's find out what we have. If he doesn't work out, get another quarterback.

495287[/snapback]

While I believe it's unfair and mistaken to write a new QB off on the basis of only four starts, I do have to point out that thus far, Losman has done nothing to support your contention that he isn't a Ryan Leaf. ANY first round pick is a potential bust, and remains so until he proves otherwise on the field.

While I believe it's unfair and mistaken to write a new QB off on the basis of only four starts, I do have to point out that thus far, Losman has done nothing to support your contention that he isn't a Ryan Leaf. ANY first round pick is a potential bust, and remains so until he proves otherwise on the field.

497065[/snapback]

May i also point out that Holcomb has done nothing to shows hes the Peyton Manning you claim he is? 2-2 is nothing more than 1 game better than 1-3.

What has Holcomb done to show that he is so much better.

497092[/snapback]

Put up a QB rating almost twice that of Losman's. But that's not the issue. Nobody expects a first-year starter like Losman to win a head-to-head competition against a veteran like Holcomb. The real question is, which QB, if either, will be the right one for the Bills next year?

While the Bills have many directions they can go for QB of the future, their three main choices are these:

1. Losman. With the picks already invested in him, this seems like a natural choice. As his defenders vehemently (and correctly) point out, his low QB rating for his first four starts shouldn't be a concern. What I'm more worried about is the fact he didn't show the flashes Phil Simms expects to see from a QB with a good future. I've also seen stuff to indicate that Losman has been having problems in practice. Also, Eli Manning gave Kurt Warner a run for his money in preseason, while Holcomb clearly outplayed Losman in this year's preseason. Overall, too little is known about Losman to write him off as a bust just yet.

2. Holcomb. On the plus side, Holcomb's QB rating while with the Bills has been extremely high at 92. The players in the locker room all seem like they are either neutral or want Holcomb to play, indicating that he must be doing something right. The locker room was far more divided in the Johnson/Flutie days, even though Johnson, like Losman, had had little starting experience. On the negative side, Holcomb hasn't thrown for very many deep passes with the Bills. There are those who see this as a function, not just of a lack of pass protection or of playcalling, but a sign that Holcomb lacks the needed level of arm strength.

3. Draft. It would really stink if the Bills watched Losman turn into the next Todd Collins, while QBs in this upcoming draft became the next Mannings and Roethlisbergers. Since the Bills stand to pick nice and early in the upcoming draft, there needs to be a sense of urgency about evaluating Losman.