bills offer mcgee lucrative contract extension

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They report four-year extension that would run through the 2009 season, and include a $4.5 million signing bonus and a total of $16.75 million in so-called "new money."

I just clicked on it and it came up!!!

He earned his first set of NFL stripes on special teams, as Buffalo Bills return ace Terrence McGee posted an average of 26.3 yards on kickoff returns in 2004 and had three runbacks for touchdowns, a performance that won the youngster his first Pro Bowl berth. Now McGee is poised to earn a contract extension, not so much as a result of his kickoff-return prowess, but because the third-year veteran has emerged over the past 1½ seasons as a viable starting cornerback and a player the Bills want to lock up for the long-term.

There have been sporadic discussions about a contract extension for McGee since about the middle of last season, after he assumed the starting role when Troy Vincent was first injured and then subsequently moved to free safety upon his return. But ESPN.com has learned that negotiations were ramped up this week when Buffalo proposed a four-year extension that would run through the 2009 season, and include a $4.5 million signing bonus and a total of $16.75 million in so-called "new money."

Terrence McGee

Cornerback

Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

32 27 5 0 0 2

At an average of $4.19 million over the extension seasons, those numbers were sufficient enough to grab the rapt attention of McGee and agent Terry Bolar, who had previously rebuffed offers aimed at a contract add-on. Bolar is expected to make a counterproposal to the Bills early next week and could even travel to Buffalo for face-to-face negotiations. It's fair to suggest McGee and his representative are encouraged by the offer and that the climate for consummating an extension is significantly improved.

Didn't realize there was more too it....See Next Post

Edited by THE TOMCAT

Here's the entire article on McGee

He earned his first set of NFL stripes on special teams, as Buffalo Bills return ace Terrence McGee posted an average of 26.3 yards on kickoff returns in 2004 and had three runbacks for touchdowns, a performance that won the youngster his first Pro Bowl berth. Now McGee is poised to earn a contract extension, not so much as a result of his kickoff-return prowess, but because the third-year veteran has emerged over the past 1½ seasons as a viable starting cornerback and a player the Bills want to lock up for the long-term.

There have been sporadic discussions about a contract extension for McGee since about the middle of last season, after he assumed the starting role when Troy Vincent was first injured and then subsequently moved to free safety upon his return. But ESPN.com has learned that negotiations were ramped up this week when Buffalo proposed a four-year extension that would run through the 2009 season, and include a $4.5 million signing bonus and a total of $16.75 million in so-called "new money."

Terrence McGee

Cornerback

Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

32 27 5 0 0 2

At an average of $4.19 million over the extension seasons, those numbers were sufficient enough to grab the rapt attention of McGee and agent Terry Bolar, who had previously rebuffed offers aimed at a contract add-on. Bolar is expected to make a counterproposal to the Bills early next week and could even travel to Buffalo for face-to-face negotiations. It's fair to suggest McGee and his representative are encouraged by the offer and that the climate for consummating an extension is significantly improved.

That same term, significantly improved, could also be employed to describe the play of McGee, a fourth-round pick from Division I-AA Northwestern (La.) State in the 2003 draft, and a player chosen more for his return skills than his coverage abilities. But forced into the starting lineup last season when Vincent was sidelined by a knee injury, McGee proved to be a revelation, teaming with Nate Clements to provide Buffalo with one of the NFL's best young cornerback tandems. McGee started 13 games, registered 95 tackles (the third-most by any cornerback in the league), three interceptions and 15 passes defensed, and demonstrated an innate ability to get around the football.

McGee, 25, lacks the prototypical size (5-9, 195 pounds) every team is seeking now at the cornerback position, but he has a feisty demeanor, won't back down from anyone, is quick to support the run and is improving in coverage. In six games this season, McGee has 32 tackles, two interceptions and four passes defensed. While the Bills' No. 1 ranking in defense versus the pass is somewhat misleading, given that opponents have been able to successfully run at a unit that is only 30th against the ground game, the secondary has been solid, with Clements and McGee on the corners and Vincent and Lawyer Milloy manning the safety spots.

Every week, it seems, McGee gets a little better in mastering the nuances of cornerback play. He attributes much of his improvement to his coaches and the veterans around him in the Bills' secondary, but also acknowledged that having the opportunity to log snaps at cornerback in the Pro Bowl, where he got to play some from scrimmage in addition to his return responsibilities, helped accelerate his personal learning curve.

"It's man-to-man coverage [at the Pro Bowl], because there are restrictions on what you are allowed to do defensively, so you're just hung out there yourself most times," McGee said. "And you're working, even in practice, against the best, most [technically] gifted wide receivers in the league. You get a chance to see every route, every move, every trick these guys have. It's like a classroom on the field, a great learning experience. It added to my confidence that I can be a top cornerback. I'm sure people used to think of me mostly as a return guy and maybe say, like, 'Oh, yeah, he can play some corner, too.' You get a lot more chances to make plays at cornerback than on kickoff returns, so that's where I want to most excel. I want to be a double threat, you know?"

Certainly the honors he has garnered for his special-teams play eclipse the recognition he has received at cornerback so far, but the Bills feel that McGee is a defender on the rise and a big part of their future plans. Otherwise, they wouldn't be offering him an extension worth more than $4 million per year, a pricey tax bracket that not even McGee himself could have predicted he might someday be in when he entered the NFL in 2003.

Last week's victory over the New York Jets graphically demonstrated McGee's ability to make huge contributions in both areas. On defense, he had four tackles, an interception and three passes defensed. He also set up two scores, a touchdown and a field goal, with kickoff runbacks of 43 and 42 yards. Through the first six weeks of the season, McGee leads the NFL with 519 yards on 15 returns, and his 34.6-yard average is more than five yards better than the league's No. 2 kickoff returner, Darren Sproles of San Diego. The field position he can potentially provide the Bills is key, especially with the struggles the Buffalo offense has experienced this season. Coach Mike Mularkey admitted this week that the Buffalo staff has actually considered using McGee on offense in some situations.

Securing the services of McGee for the long-term, particularly at a palatable price for an ascending player, is a priority of sorts for Bills officials. Clements, regarded by many in the NFL as one of the league's top five cornerbacks, and just 25 years old, is eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season. The five-year veteran has strongly hinted that he expects to be the NFL's highest-paid cornerback and Buffalo will probably have to use the "franchise" marker, at a cost of roughly $9 million for the qualifying offer, to retain their 2001 first-round draft choice. Finishing off the extension for McGee would at least guarantee the services of a young, emerging cornerback for the long-term.

And for McGee, who signed a three-year, $1.217 million contract as a rookie in 2003, the extension would represent enhanced financial security as well. Without an extension, the Bills will probably use the middle-level qualifying offer for a restricted free agent, which McGee would be without an add-on, likely to be about $1.6 million, to retain right of first refusal. Under terms of the proposal the Bills made this week, McGee could essentially pocket $5.4 million more than the restricted free agent qualifying offer for '06.

The tradeoff is that, with an extension, McGee would forfeit his rights to become an unrestricted free agent following the '06 campaign. But unless there is an extension to the collective-bargaining agreement, and soon, McGee would not be unrestricted anyway, since a player will need six seasons of tenure, not the current four, to be an unrestricted free agent in an "uncapped" year, which 2007 could become.

McGee is progressing as a solid cornerback and, with the events of this week, contract negotiations have some positive momentum now, too. Those two components could converge into a contract extension at some point in the near future.

I just clicked on it and it came up!!!

Terrence McGee

Cornerback

Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int

32 27 5 0 0 2

482028[/snapback]

I like this:

"It's fair to suggest McGee and his representative are encouraged by the offer and that the climate for consummating an extension is significantly improved."

Great stuff...thanks.

Love it.. BUT, say goodbye to Nate Clements.

482043[/snapback]

And if Nate isn't replaced with another CB of similar caliber or with a premier pass rusher, you can say goodbye to our pass defense as well.

Sorry guys, I like McGee a lot and think he is an outstanding #2 CB, but if you think he'll make us forget Clements as a #1, then you may be in for a rude awakening.

Wow, I think that is a huge bargain for the Bills if he signs for anything close to that, and it would allow them to franchise Nate and keep them both. I probably wouldn't do it myself if I was McGee, who could likely wait a year and make twice that if he continues the upside. But he may not wish to risk it. This is pretty damn good news, IMO, if his agent this is in the ballpark. CBs are getting expensive.

Everyone knows this can't be true.  Donahoe doesn't keep players or offer them contracts before their out year.

Huh, Dwag?  :rolleyes:

482071[/snapback]

i never stated TD doesn't offer players contracts before their out year.......it has been well documented in the past that he has done just that with numerous impending free agents.......however, i have called him cheap and this articile pounds that point home.......he tried to lowball first so mcgee and his agent told him to get bent.......now that he has a REAL offer they are listening and actually trying to work out a deal........see how that works?......players and their agents don't like to be insulted.....

lowball strategy works occasionaly, but not very often......he could have had mcgee locked up at 3.5M per year last season, but he didn't have the balls to do it......now we're looking at 4-4.5M per year likely, if we can even get him to sign at all.......and you think this is a good strategy?

a GM is supposed to be a talent evaluator, not a talent reactor......anyone can sign guys to extensions once they burst.......the trick is to get them locked up before their values soar through the roof.......

......he tried to lowball first so mcgee and his agent told him to get bent.......now that he has a REAL offer they are listening and actually trying to work out a deal........see how that works?......

482080[/snapback]

That's how negotiations are supposed to work?

I thought you look at the recent signings of free agents and offer them the highest amount to reward them for their past loyalty, no matter where their talents lie relative to other players.

I think some of the things are against McGee from becoming a FA and getting

a fat contract...Looks like once again the bills might have an upperhand in

dealing with a potential star. Good for the bills and good for McGee...but

unfortunate for him that he could not get a bigger signing bonus.

And if Nate isn't replaced with another CB of similar caliber or with a premier pass rusher, you can say goodbye to our pass defense as well.

Sorry guys, I like McGee a lot and think he is an outstanding #2 CB, but if you think he'll make us forget Clements as a #1, then you may be in for a rude awakening.

482061[/snapback]

I don't think he'll ever make us forget Nate but I think a preemptive signing like this means goodbye Nate. The Bills aren't going to spend Antoine Winfield/Champ Bailey money on #22.

That being said, I will be happy to see McGee locked up with the Bills for the next four years - he is one of my favorites on this squad.

482061[/snapback]

Didn't we see the same comments where Winfield was on the roster and

Clements was the #2 CB.....

We cannot have everything the way we want.....Our goal should be is

to build a good OL and DL with the existing set of players and we should

be a better than average team....We can't be paying for every rising

player....No team does that...

Didn't we see the same comments where Winfield was on the roster and

Clements was the #2 CB.....

We cannot have everything the way we want.....Our goal should be is

to build a good OL and DL with the existing set of players and we should

be a better than average team....We can't be paying for every rising

player....No team does that...

482089[/snapback]

You're right in many respects. But there's a difference between then and now. When we let AW go, we had Nate with McGee emerging. Despite how good he's become, McGee is not yet where Nate was (as a cover and tackling CB) when AW left. Also, there is nobody at the point where McGee was. King may get there...McGee may get there. But we're starting further behind, in talent and experience, we were when we let Winfield leave. I think we may franchise Nate.

That's how negotiations are supposed to work? 

I thought you look at the recent signings of free agents and offer them the highest amount to reward them for their past loyalty, no matter where their talents lie relative to other players.

482084[/snapback]

No, moron. You wait until they play one full decent season in the NFL while they play possum with their real talent by getting beat a lot early. Then you swoop in announced and give them your best and final offer first so they don't feel insulted. But you only do that with guys that you know will be studs a year later because as an evaluator, you should know that by watching them not actually playing much as a rookie and getting burnt quite a bit early, that they will quickly shed that soon and become really good really quick. Especially after covering so many Division II studs in college. Get your head our of your ass, GG.