MM on Rome summary

stevewin

MM was on the first hour of Rome today. Save the 'Rome sucks' posts for the OT board.

- How does it feel to be 3-3 after 6 - esp after QB change and loss of Spikes

Good feeling - especially after all the talk about a fast start in the offseason after what happened last year and then to start this year 1-3

- 2-0 w/ Holcombe - QB decision week-week?

Make no decisions about any position except for the next Sunday. change was made for the team to try and give them a boost.

- How much will it affect psyche and future of JP?

Made sure to tell JP he was not a failure - it is a learning process. Bad start was all of us including myself. JP was pressing a bit - other areas of team weren't helping enough. Told JP still want him learning - not just things on the field but also watch Holcombe off the field - how he interacts with players in the locker room, at meals etc. etc.

- Loss of Spikes

Is a great person and positive influence with players, incl. younger players, off the field in the locker room and meetings. Crowell has played "pretty well" - didn't see sense of doom from team when Spikes went out and Crowell has filled in well.

- Willis - do you think about devestating injury?

Injury isn't even there - no signs that it ever occurred - no icing, limping, complaining etc. All because of Willis and his attitude.

- Coaching path

Discussion on MM/Wyche connection - Wyche gave him a chance then he was able to give Wyche a chance years later - etc etc

- Pitt vs Buff

there are only a handful of cities where football means so much to a community. Great to play in a place where football is so important - even if it does mean more pressure for coaches and players. Bills are news all the time - even in the offseason. Blue collar town - blue collar team etc

- Why is Drew so successful this year?

To be honest don't get a chance to follow other teams much - guess from what people are asking me he's doing well :D Consider him a good friend - happy for him.

- How does it feel to be 3-3 after 6 - esp after QB change and loss of Spikes

Good feeling - especially after all the talk about a fast start in the offseason after what happened last year and then to start this year 1-3

- 2-0 w/ Holcombe - QB decision wek-week?

Make no decisions about any position except for the next Sunday.  change was made for the team to try and give them a boost.

Made sure to tell JP he was not a failure - it is a learning process.  Bad start was all of us including myself.  JP was pressing a bit - other areas of team weren't helping enough.  Told JP still want him learning - not just things on the field but also watch Holcombe off the field - how he interacts with players in the locker room, at meals etc. etc.

- Loss of Spikes

Is a great person and positive influence with players, incl. younger players, off the field in the locker room and meetings.  Crowell has played "pretty well" - didn't see sense of doom from team when Spikes went out and Crowell has fille din well.

- Willis - do you think about devestating injury?

Injury isn't even there - no signs that it ever occurred - no icing, limoing, complaining etc.  All because of Willis and his attitude.

- Coaching path

Discussion on MM/Wyche connection - Wyche gave him a chance then he was able to give Wyche a change years later - etc etc

- Pitt vs Buff

there are only a handful of cities where football means so much to a community.  Great to play in a place where football is so important - even if it does mean more pressure for coaches and players.  Bills are news all the time - even in the offseason.  Blue collar town - blue collar team  etc

To be honest don't get a chance to follow other teams much - guess from what people are asking me he's doing well  :doh:  Consider him a good friens - happy for him.

480453[/snapback]

I thought the follow Holcomb around off the field stuff was a little weak. :D

To be honest don't get a chance to follow other teams much - guess from what people are asking me he's doing well  :D  Consider him a good friens - happy for him.

480453[/snapback]

Not to start another Bledsoe blow-fest, but I read somewhere, one of those "insider" columns, that Mularkey was not as sold on dumping Bledsoe, and going with Losman, as some others in the organization were.

Not to start another Bledsoe blow-fest, but I read somewhere, one of those "insider" columns, that Mularkey was not as sold on dumping Bledsoe, and going with Losman, as some others in the organization were.

480466[/snapback]

I thought he had sole power to decide the final roster? Is TD meddling where he shouldn't be? Damn, I hope he doesn't think he's Al Davis. Look what that mentality has done for the Faiders. :D

Made sure to tell JP he was not a failure - it is a learning process. Bad start was all of us including myself. JP was pressing a bit - other areas of team weren't helping enough. Told JP still want him learning - not just things on the field but also watch Holcombe off the field - how he interacts with players in the locker room, at meals etc. etc.

this is something i noticed about watching JP in the first few games. when i saw him on the sidelines he always looked like an outsider.....he never looked like he was "one of the guys".

480466[/snapback]

And see I heard the exact opposite. I'd heard, and not through my local sources, that Mularkey and Wyche were pushing to get JP on the field, saying he was ready. TD wanted to hold off and let it go to camp, but the coaches wanted in known in the lockerroom, if not officially. That was the basis for Drew leaving, and not wanting to be the backup, because he knew he wasn't even going to get a shot to start. TD honoring his wish released him. The resentment from the players (Moulds) maybe because he didn't earn the job, but was handed it.

480466[/snapback]

That's the same impression I had.

I thought he had sole power to decide the final roster?  Is TD meddling where he shouldn't be?  Damn, I hope he doesn't think he's Al Davis.  Look what that mentality has done for the Faiders.    :D

480540[/snapback]

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. It has to be...right?

TD is the GM...a quaified NFL GM. It's his job top be involved in those decisions.

But, since your post was sarcastic...never mind.

I thought he had sole power to decide the final roster?  Is TD meddling where he shouldn't be?  Damn, I hope he doesn't think he's Al Davis.  Look what that mentality has done for the Faiders.    :D

480540[/snapback]

Good God, imaginge a GM and VP with responsibility for stocking a team with players taking an interest in the personnel on a team. Preposterous!

And see I heard the exact opposite.  I'd heard, and not through my local sources, that Mularkey and Wyche were pushing to get JP on the field, saying he was ready.  TD wanted to hold off and let it go to camp, but the coaches wanted in known in the lockerroom, if not officially.  That was the basis for Drew leaving, and not wanting to be the backup, because he knew he wasn't even going to get a shot to start.  TD honoring his wish released him.  The resentment from the players (Moulds) maybe because he didn't earn the job, but was handed it.

480565[/snapback]

You may be right, that is what I thought too. I wish I could remember where I saw it. It was in a blurb regarding the switch to Holcomb. There was also the implication that Mularkey would have been much more comfortable going into the season with a vetran (Holcomb)....

You may be right, that is what I thought too.  I wish I could remember where I saw it. It was in a blurb regarding the switch to Holcomb.  There was also the implication that Mularkey would have been much more comfortable going into the season with a vetran (Holcomb)....

480906[/snapback]

this is purely a guess, but wilson did attend that pitt game last year and was disgusted. i would not be surprised at all if he was behind it. people tend to attribute everything to donohoe, but ralph has always been an involved owner and has a pretty high opinion of his own football evaluation skills.

this is purely a guess, but wilson did attend that pitt game last year and was disgusted. i would not be surprised at all if he was behind it. people tend to attribute everything to donohoe, but ralph has always been an involved owner and has a pretty high opinion of his own football evaluation skills.

481381[/snapback]

There may be something to that, but my guess is that TD's ego is too big (and I like TD overall) to have his reputation sullied by Wilson. Face it, if he thought Ralph was nuts, and was in conflict with the owner, he would likely be fired. As much as some here seem to think he sucks, TD would be snatched up in a minute by another team, say the Texans or Vikings...besides, Ralph, up untill the Pittsburgh game, loved Bledsoe, by all accounts. Losman was TD's pick...his legacy in Buffalo will be largely determined by how Losman turns out...

I have a good friend whose sibling has worked for the Bills for about 15 years. From what I have heard, and take it for what it is worth, TD still holds a lot of animosity toward Bill Cowher and the Steelers. I keep wondering why. What have the Steelers done, that the Bills haven't done, in the last 24 years or so?