Like his entire presidency...

TPS

Tell that to the Repub Senators and Reps that are up for reelection next year.  At the rate his popularity is dropping, he'll be stumping for them with single digit approval ratings.

476068[/snapback]

Have you learned NOTHING from the last decade? This year means nothing. Our collective conscience is six months at best when it comes to these yo-yos.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also know that sometimes kids say the darnest things. :(

476135[/snapback]

Like when they asked me about Ari's "conservation is un-American" comment, and I replied "Well, he's not setting policy in saying that, he's just stating a fact that us Americans are wasteful slobs."

BTW, it was for German TV. I'm sure they ran that quote. :rolleyes:

This coming from a guy (I presume) who voted for someone they wouldnt let make a facial expression without being told to do so.

Give me a break. GWB is bad at "thinking on his feet"....in front of a camera or audience. Sure. But to say that what what was done is some kind of indictment on him is insane. Do you HONESTLY believe that with media and technology for carrying it being what it is today this would have been handled in a significantly different manner if someone else was President?

475822[/snapback]

I don't think we are "indicting" him. Just making the same point you did, that this guy can't think on his feet. I also said that he didn't invent the choreographed photo-op, ie, everyone uses them. He uses them more than others, way more and yes, we have had Presidents who could handle themselves on the fly. Clinton for example had no problem with unscripted, contemporaneous exchanges. This is just part of the media manipulation the Bush team is so big on and yes, so were others from both sides of the aisle. I just think there is a line out there that this bunch has crossed way too often. Like paying journalists to shill for them with tax payer dollars producing bogus "stories". That was crossing the line and the fact that he can't go off script with people who, if you believe the administration, are his most ardent supporters, soldiers, says a lot.

Guess he has a chance at a third term, then.**

**I guess I'm just not sure why I'd care what my approval rating was if I couldn't run again.  Call me crazy.

476022[/snapback]

Presumably he ran for a second term to accomplish something and that is now a problem for him with all his poll numbers in the dirt. Congressmen and Senators are likely taking note and though he may not be running again, they, to our collective regret, certainly are. It will be much harder for him to enforce lock-step party discipline to get things passed. Heck, he might not even get Miers confirmed. So those poll numbers matter to him.

Not saying it wasn't. As CTM and myself have often pointed out, this administration has the worst marketing plan of any since Nero. What I'm saying is that to one degree or another, crap like this is almost never impromptu - no matter who is doing it. It is not a Bush only phenonenum.

476011[/snapback]

Nero's CD Burning software didn't have THAT horrible of a marketing campaign.

Presumably he ran for a second term to accomplish something and that is now a problem for him with all his poll numbers in the dirt.  Congressmen and Senators are likely taking note and though he may not be running again, they, to our collective regret, certainly are.  It will be much harder for him to enforce lock-step party discipline to get things passed.  Heck, he might not even get Miers confirmed.  So those poll numbers matter to him.

476242[/snapback]

Imagine a world where low approval ratings are sinking Social Security and tax reforms.

Perhaps this country does deserve the fateful path of its choosing. We really should be more like France & Germany.

Imagine a world where low approval ratings are sinking Social Security and tax reforms.

Perhaps this country does deserve the fateful path of its choosing.  We really should be more like France & Germany.

476626[/snapback]

If they are sinking stupid reforms, that's a good thing.

calm down, i like Nero.  was just making another of my sarcastic references to the BushBad! crowd

if i wanted to pick a fight with you i would have said...

KirkBad!

476747[/snapback]

One of the few things as tiring as the Bad Bush rants are the Bush Bad replies. I guess if that's all ya' got, you go with it.

What are the demo's proposed reforms besides it won't be broke for a long time, so let's do nothing now?

478553[/snapback]

Social Security crisis - Eliminate the cap on taxable wages. That would fix 75% of the problem in one fell swoop and put the looming crisis out about 50 years. This solution also doesn't create a couple of trillion dollars in new debt in order to start private accounts. This also means that the marginal Social Security tax rate on wages is the same for a million dollar salary as a $20,000 salary.

Social Security crisis - Eliminate the cap on taxable wages.  That would fix 75% of the problem in one fell swoop and put the looming crisis out about 50 years.  This solution also doesn't create a couple of trillion dollars in new debt in order to start private accounts.  This also means that the marginal Social Security tax rate on wages is the same for a million dollar salary as a $20,000 salary.

478707[/snapback]

And since those people will now be pay many, many times as much into the system as other, they will receive benefit checks many times larger when they retire??

It's not supposed to be a "tax". We already have an income tax structure that heavily discriminates against successful people.

And since those people will now be pay many, many times as much into the system as other, they will receive benefit checks many times larger when they retire??

It's not supposed to be a "tax".  We already have an income tax structure that heavily discriminates against successful people.

478725[/snapback]

You can call it whatever you want, but social security tax has always been a "tax". Most people won't admit it, but Social Security is a welfare program. The vast majority of retirees get back much more in benefits than they ever paid into the system in taxes. Why do you think that the system is going broke?

The precedents were already set when the Medicare taxable wage limit was removed and also when social security benefits became subject to income tax.