Center Ice or No Center Ice

EZC-Boston

Should I pony up the $$$ for then NHL Center Ice Package?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should I pony up the $$$ for then NHL Center Ice Package?

• Yes hockey is good again
    • No $140 can buy a lot of beer, even in Boston

There is nothing to think about. Get the Center Ice package. It is well worth the money. Going to one game would cost about the same (two tickets, parking, concessions).

If you no longer live in Buffalo and you are a Sabres fan, go for it.

I've had it since it was first available. Though watching the Sabres is not as much fun as it was when I'd get to watch Hockey Hotline on Empire after the games(damn you Rigas), it's still great. Of all the things that remind me of back home, hearing Rick Jeanneret call a Sabres' game is on the top of the list. And you're usually lucky enough to get that feed about half the time.

I've always enjoyed watching the Leafs too so it''s a double win for me.

Center Ice is a must if you're into the NHL, IMHO.

Of all the things that remind me of back home, hearing Rick Jeanneret call a Sabres' game is on the top of the list. And you're usually lucky enough to get that feed about half the time.

475870[/snapback]

I've had it for 7 or 8 years, but this is my first season with it on digital cable. It seemed that on DirecTV the Empire guys' coverage was shown in about 70 or so games per season. This season, it's only been once. I don't know if that's a result of having Center Ice on cable or if it's a result of the Adelphia/Empire/MSG mess, but I miss not watching the Empire coverage all of the time.

I went with cable to take advantage of a package deal on high speed internet, phone, and of course, TV, but only because Empire went off the air. Had they still been around, I would have stuck with DTV when I moved across town last year just so I could see Empire. Like you, I really miss their pregame and postgame shows.

So, wait, do I get to hear Jeanneret if I order Center Ice?

475889[/snapback]

You will some of the time. No data on how the NHL choses which feed to provide to CI. Over on the Sabres board they were saying that depending upon which provider you had you got either the TSN feed or the Tampa Bay feed last night (MSG feed only in WNY for that one).

As for go/no go. I say GO. At a minimum, you get to watch nearly all the Sabres games for about what it would cost to take a date to one game (much less if airline tickets & hotel room are included). Best case scenario, watching Sabres, Ottawa, and other high flying teams' games, your roommates get hooked and chip in next year.

Not sure how consistent Center Ice is, and if its worth the investment, but I do know that with other packages, such as MLB Extra Innings or College Gameday, not all games are shown. I watch the MLB during one of the free preview weekends and they showed like 1 Oakland game! Gameday only has games covered by ESPN and ABC, which is quite a lot but you are in no way guaranteed to see your team every week.

Not sure how consistent Center Ice is, and if its worth the investment, but I do know that with other packages, such as MLB Extra Innings or College Gameday, not all games are shown. 

476315[/snapback]

The only time a Sabres game hasn't been shown over the past several years was OLN's fowl-up earlier this week, and that was only for a part of the country.

With one or two exceptions perhaps, virtually every game from every team is carried.

I bought Center Ice this year. As far as listening to Rick J and Jim L, there's a lot of variables that go into which feed you get:

- Home or Away

- Is MSG carrying it or another game

- Is the opponent local to your geographical area, and is the local regional sports channel broadcasting the game

etc.

More important than whether or not you get to listen to Rick and Jim, is what freakin' channel is the game on? The information channel (220) shows what NHLCI channel the game is sked on - BUT you must take into consideration who the opponent is in respect to YOUR location. For example, when the Sabres played at Tampa, my NHLCI feed was blocked, and it was carried on the Tampa regional sports channel. From what I'm reading here, It appears the NHLCI feed for the rest of the country may have been the same Tampa broadcast I was watching, but since I'm in Florida, it was on the Tampa channel for me. None of this really matters if you're home and you can just surf around to find it, but I've already managed to TIVO a couple hours of blank channel while I was away. Luckily, it was a game MSG re-ran later that night.

BTW, some of those other sports channels' broadcasts teams are pretty good, and sometimes not, but overall I don't mind mixing up the broadcasts.

I bought Center Ice this year. As far as listening to Rick J and Jim L, there's a lot of variables that go into which feed you get:

- Home or Away

- Is MSG carrying it or another game

- Is the opponent local to your geographical area, and is the local regional sports channel broadcasting the game

etc.

476508[/snapback]

It doesn't seem to be based on home / away for which broadcast is shown on CI. On Friday, the TO/Atlanta game was in TO and used Atlanta's feed. The Pens/Flyers was in Philly and used Pittsburgh feed. Vancouver/Minny was in Minny and used the Canucks feed.