my take on the QB situation

ch19079

ok, losman is our future QB. plain and simple. he has been able to make plays with his feet, and limited his turnovers. but when i watch the games, he does not look confident in the pocket. and when he is given enough time to throw, and an open reciever, he throws the ball as if it weighs 10 pounds, and usually off target.

i dont know if Holcomb is any better, but he is a better passer, though he hasnt done jack in the few series he has had this season.

all in all, i think we should start Holcomb next week for miami. and if we win, keep holcomb in untill we are truly out of the playoff picture. BUT, if we loose, i say put losman back in, and keep him in the rest of the season. cus if we loose to miami, i really think our season is done.

this isnt like last year. our schedule doesnt get easier.

ok, losman is our future QB. plain and simple. he has been able to make plays with his feet, and limited his turnovers. but when i watch the games, he does not look confident in the pocket. and when he is given enough time to throw, and an open reciever, he throws the ball as if it weighs 10 pounds, and usually off target.

i dont know if Holcomb is any better, but he is a better passer, though he hasnt done jack in the few series he has had this season.

all in all, i think we should start Holcomb next week for miami. and if we win, keep holcomb in untill we are truly out of the playoff picture. BUT, if we loose, i say put losman back in, and keep him in the rest of the season. cus if we loose to miami, i really think our season is done.

this isnt like last year. our schedule doesnt get easier.

462726[/snapback]

The Shift key is your friend.

As for Holcomb, I disagree. You play the kid all year long. Holcomb isn't the answer in the short term or the long term (unless he can play defense).

I agree ....... at this point our season is NOT over (especially given the injury status of the Pats and Jets) and JP is clearly not getting it done ...... gaining exeriance is nice and all ....... but I'd just as soon not flush the year down the crapper just to give JP "experiance".

The keys to the team should be given to Holcomb ...... if (or when) the season is realistically "out of hand" we could then turn the team back to JP.

The Shift key is your friend.

As for Holcomb, I disagree.  You play the kid all year long.  Holcomb isn't the answer in the short term or the long term (unless he can play defense).

462734[/snapback]

I don't know about all year. But I am with you. You don't bench JP now. I believe you give him until week 10 or 11, see if he is progressing, or doing the same stupid sh--. If by then he continues to regress, then you bench him and just have him watch.

At that point though it could be real bad for his psych.

I don't know about all year.  But I am with you.  You don't bench JP now.  I believe you give him until week 10 or 11, see if he is progressing, or doing the same stupid sh--.  If by then he continues to regress, then you bench him and just have him watch. 

462741[/snapback]

If by week 10 we still suck -- which we will -- you leave the kid in their to secure a great draft pick. Either you pull him now or the season will be going, going, going, going ... gone.

I think the winner of the AFC East will have 9 wins. That's still doable but not even remotely possible with JP.

If by week 10 we still suck -- which we will -- you leave the kid in their to secure a great draft pick. Either you pull him now or the season will be going, going, going, going ... gone.

I think the winner of the AFC East will have 9 wins. That's still doable but not even remotely possible with JP.

462743[/snapback]

We followed the same logic last year of sticking with DB until the season was officially out of hand. JP getting injured kind of helped the decision making I know. But it came down to the last game and in today's parity world, I don't think any team's season is officially sunk by the 10th game. So, what's my point ? Simply this - that the coaches have to make one decision and have the ba11s to stick to it. Keeping JP in there yesterday would have helped prepare him for comebacks in the future. Maybe he could have pulled it off ala Brunell against the Redskins a few weeks back. But, by yanking him twice now, he will forever be looking over his shoulder. A situation which we all painfully remember from the Flutie-RJ days. I was frankly disgusted when he was pulled yesterday because this jerking around serves no purpose. After the game, MM says JP is still the starter. WTF is going on ? A rotation at the QB position ?

As a true, loyal and gullible fan, I will support whatever decision the coaches make but let it be just that - one decision for the entire season.

Fact: The number of picks JP starts throwing is going to go up exponentially as we start playing playoff teams. Man, I can already see us getting blown out by the Chiefs, Raiders, Pats, and even the fish.

We have no choice but to play JP the rest of the season.

We followed the same logic last year of sticking with DB until the season was officially out of hand. JP getting injured kind of helped the decision making I know. But it came down to the last game and in today's parity world, I don't think any team's season is officially sunk by the 10th game. So, what's my point ? Simply this  - that the coaches have to make one decision and have the ba11s to stick to it. Keeping JP in there yesterday would have helped prepare him for comebacks in the future. Maybe he could have pulled it off ala Brunell against the Redskins a few weeks back. But, by yanking him twice now, he will forever be looking over his shoulder. A situation which we all painfully remember from the Flutie-RJ days. I was frankly disgusted when he was pulled yesterday because this jerking around serves no purpose. After the game, MM says JP is still the starter. WTF is going on ? A rotation at the QB position ?

As a true, loyal and gullible fan, I will support whatever decision the coaches make but let it be just that - one decision for the entire season.

462762[/snapback]

I totally agree. Which was my point as well. Either we go after winning the AFC East with Holcomb or try to groom JP this season and not even come close to making the playoffs.

Fact: The number of picks JP starts throwing is going to go up exponentially as we start playing playoff teams. Man, I can already see us getting blown out by the Chiefs, Raiders, Pats, and even the fish.

462767[/snapback]

Would you mind explaining what you just posted?

Are you saying that he should be left in so his number of picks can go up?

462767[/snapback]

Only one of the teams we have played so far made the playoffs. In fact, Atlanta is they only one that has made the playoffs in two years.

I totally agree. Which was my point as well. Either we go after winning the AFC East with Holcomb or try to groom JP this season and not even come close to making the playoffs.

462770[/snapback]

Yep, I do know you don't think highly of JP and that is fine - it is your opinion. I have not had the luxury of watching any game here in Bear country so can't give an honest opinion. But, you and I both agree that the coaches need to make up their mind. Isn't this what leadership is all about ? Advances are made by making bold decisions. But waffling sickens me.

I don't know about all year.  But I am with you.  You don't bench JP now.  I believe you give him until week 10 or 11, see if he is progressing, or doing the same stupid sh--.  If by then he continues to regress, then you bench him and just have him watch. 

462741[/snapback]

Agree 100% Eli Manning has now started looking good, last year he was horrible in the first 5 or 6 games...it takes some time...check out Eli's stats last year, game by game...

Stats

Only one of the teams we have played so far made the playoffs.  In fact, Atlanta is they only one that has made the playoffs in two years.

462772[/snapback]

Tampa Bay is for real and one of the better teams in the league. Atlanta is a solid playoff team. Cadillac has 13 yards on 11 carries and they still won by about four touchdowns.

Tampa Bay is for real and one of the better teams in the league. Atlanta is a solid playoff team. Cadillac has 13 yards on 11 carries and they still won by about four touchdowns.

462977[/snapback]

Actually they won 17-13 and detroit had 4 shots at the endzone to win the game at the end...but who's counting? :lol:

Agree 100% Eli Manning has now started looking good, last year he was horrible in the first 5 or 6 games...it takes some time...check out Eli's stats last year, game by game...

Stats

462968[/snapback]

According to your "stats" it looks like Eli started the 1st game, was benched, and wasn't given the keys to the team until the 11th game. I would propose basically the same thing for the Bills ....... sit JP, and if we aren't in the "thick of the division race" with Holcomb at week 11 the put the kid back in.

Maybe getting a "taste" of the compitition at the NFL level ....... and having a bit of time to let it "sink in" without having to run for his life week after week will do him some good.

According to your "stats" it looks like Eli started the 1st game, was benched, and wasn't given the keys to the team until the 11th game. I would propose basically the same thing for the Bills ....... sit JP, and if we aren't in the "thick of the division race" with Holcomb at week 11 the put the kid back in.

Maybe getting a "taste" of the compitition at the NFL level ....... and having a bit of time to let it "sink in" without having to run for his life week after week will do him some good.

462984[/snapback]

nope.

Manning began the 2004 season as the backup quarterback for the Giants, behind two-time league MVP Kurt Warner, who the Giants signed in 2004 shortly after he was released for salary cap reasons by the St. Louis Rams. Manning's first regular-season NFL play was in the first week of the 2004 football season, taking over for Warner with three minutes left in the game as the Giants were losing to the Philadelphia Eagles, 31-10. Manning handed the ball off to running back Tiki Barber, who ran 72 yards for a touchdown.

For the first nine games of the season, Manning only saw limited action, usually in mop-up situations towards the end of games. However, after Kurt Warner began to struggle midseason, losing three out of four games, Manning was named the team's starting quarterback, making his first professional start in a November 21 game against the Atlanta Falcons. After a rough first half, Manning threw his first touchdown pass in the second half, a 6-yard pass to Jeremy Shockey. However, the Giants ultimately lost the game, 14-10.

On January 2, 2005, Manning secured his first career NFL win with a three touchdown performance against the Dallas Cowboys. But perhaps the most telling play of that game - the touchdown passes included - came at the end, when Manning called an audible from a passing play to a running play and handed to Tiki Barber, who ran in the game-winning touchdown and simultaneously became the all-time single-season rushing yards record holder for the Giants.

Detroit won that game, they got robbed by the refs on that Pollard catch.

462983[/snapback]

hell no, pollard didnt have the ball secured before he went OB...pretty obvious from the replay...

Go Astros! :lol:

Actually they won 17-13 and detroit had 4 shots at the endzone to win the game at the end...but who's counting? :lol:

462982[/snapback]

Laughs. My bad. I mixed up the two games. I was thinking Atlanta won by four TDs (they were up 30-3 until three minutes to go). Still, Tampa Bay is for real. They have an excellent defense, and they can run (even when Williams was stopped, Pittman was productive) and Griese is playing well.