Tom Donahoe is an excellent GM

marck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering if TD is so terrific when was the last time he was part of a playoff team????

458992[/snapback]

Yeah, it seems we have this discussion every year.

Of course there are other mitigating factors and a GM should not be graded strictly on the team's record, but each year we whiff the playoffs it gets harder and harder to defend him. Are we still going to be blaming John Butler in 2009?

The object is to win the Super Bowl

Period. The End. Give me one title, and 5 years of 3-13 rebuilding uversus no titles and 5 years of 10-6 or 11-5 in the playoffs.

It's not to bet all your marbles on one season and then find your entire franchise is screwed.

See Ravens, Baltimore, Super Bowl Champs 2000

Remember the last time that happened? John Butler did it, and that's why we were in cap hell for two years.

You gonna tell me that if the Illegal Forward Pass was properly called in Tennessee in 1999, we wouldn't have rolled thru the AFC playoffs that year, just like the Titans, and gone Mano y Mano with the Rams? I think so. Would we have won? Who knows, but we'd have had one helluva shot.

TD set out to build a team that would be a combination of talented veterans and promising young guys with talent all around that could compete year by year for the Super Bowl.

He forgot one thing, you have to be in the playoffs first.

But the theory is the one that I also agree with and many of the pieces are in place.

Really? The window is almost closed. Lose Nate after this offseason and you're in big trouble. He's a true shutdown corner who graded out last year as #1 in NFL. Adams, Fletcher, Milloy are all FA after the 06 season, thats the heart of our D. TKO, who knows if he'll ever be the same.

I don't think they're going to win the SB but he is building a solid team and structure.

I disagree with the second part. Sorry.

And to the original poster....

Scott Pioli

Bill Polian

Ozzie Newsome

Bill Cowher

Andy Reid

Rich McKay

Floyd Reese

Shall I continue???

by the way, you never responded to the ted washington issue. it's hard to believe because it's so stupid, but it actually happened. as i said in my previous post, i blame williams for a lot of it, so this shouldn't necessarily be construed as an attack on donohoe.  washington, of course, has had two dominating seasons since he left (2001, 2003) and looks great this year.

458957[/snapback]

In retrospect, sure you can say that Ted Washington was a bad move, likely made by Gregg Williams, btw, and not TD from the news reports. I may give you that, but it was not at all a no brainer. They asked him to take a pay cut, he said no, I'm not coming back to the Bills. He had a knee injury, went out on the open market and none of the 31 other teams offered him a decent deal. He came back to the Bills with his tail between his legs and that's when GW said I don't want any fat guys. Then he recovers, and plays very well for the Bears and immediately gets hurt again. Yeah, if you knew he was going to heal, it may have been wise to keep him. And then not have Sam Adams.

Lastly, this team may be one year away from being a significant player in the AFC East for the rest of this decade and it is in part to the excellent work done by TD and the efforts of the players on this roster and the additions that will be made in the future.

I know many of you on this board do not remember or are too young and immature to think backs of the teams under Bill Pollian that went 2-14, 4-12 and 4-12 before maturing into the team that won the AFC East from 1988 to 1991 and went to four straight Super Bowls.

Be patient and let this team develop instead of your constant whining and bitching because frankly I am getting fed up reading it from you bandwagon losers.

Go ahead and argue with me on what I have written, but I guarantee you that any point you bring up will not be supported by facts which I will prove out in my response, so fire away all TD bashers, as I am ready for you.

458703[/snapback]

Wow, sometimes, the pickings are easy. I'll start by telling you that I am not old enough to remember the pair of 2-14 seasons (I was born in 1984), but even I know that Polian wasn't the GM until 1986. After a dismal first season, like Donahoe, he was in the playoffs by his third season, and by his fifth, he was in the freakin Superbowl. Sorry if that was immature.

You ask for patience. Well, I'm just wondering, how many non-playoff seasons would it take for you to lose patience? Many would think five is enough (not that I'm writing off this year - yet). And, by your own admission, still a year away.

You said you'd respond to every attack, but you've only responded to two. So, here we go.

Dan,

Great response, 27-40.  You need to qualify the points as to why the team went 27-40, not just use the numbers.

Try making some reasons and justifications and then generate an actual intelligent response.

458811[/snapback]

The reason the team went 27-40 is because the GM made poor personnel and coaching decisions. I don't understand how drafting Henry in the second round and flipping him for a third is used by many as a highlight of Donaoe's time here. Yes, the bottom line counts.

Hi Bill,

Guess that 6-10 team last year was better then the 9-7 Bills.  Also, would you like to have your offense built around Drew Deadslow, Terry 9she) Glenn and Keyshawn (Just shut your damm mouth) Johnson.  That's the future of that team.

Also, what has Parcells ever won without Bill Bellichek.

Answer me that hot shot!!

458818[/snapback]

No, the future of that team is a running back that has put up just as good numbers as Willis, who cost a second round pick, as opposed to a first. Oh, and a second round pick that we gave to them. Nice move, Parcells, not as nice, Donahoe.

the great error by donahoe was NOT hiring fox or lewis as coach. they were the hot favorites, but TD went with williams for some reason.

fox and lewis have shown to have been solid coaches who get the most out of their assistant coaches and players.

donahoe's other mistakes were to: draft mike williams at #4 (he is no better than any RT in the league); let losman start this season (holcomb can do that with the momemtum of 2004); signed crap place kickers for three seasons which costs us games late; & has not upgraded the TE spot until this season.

Yeah, it seems we have this discussion every year. 

Of course there are other mitigating factors and a GM should not be graded strictly on the team's record, but each year we whiff the playoffs it gets harder and harder to defend him.  Are we still going to be blaming John Butler in 2009?

459037[/snapback]

I hate to quote a Jet, but "you play to win the game" and we haven't been winning enough the past few years. I have no problem with the TD rebuilding project, but at some point it has to come to an end. After ripping up the roster how many years can the Bills tread water as a .500 team, give or take a game???

Fact: This century there are only seven NFL teams not to make the playoffs. Name them.....

Cincinnati (That looks to change this year)

Washington (Thanks Snyder)

Jacksonville (Very close)

Houston (No clue, but expansion)

Arizona

Detroit

and yes

our Bills. The second winningest organization of the 1990s, if officially one of the sorriest franchises this century. Thats how I'm judging ole Whitey.

our Bills.  The second winningest organization of the 1990s, if officially one of the sorriest franchises this century.  Thats how I'm judging ole Whitey.

459105[/snapback]

By ole Whitey I take it you mean Ralph, right?

rogers is a classic example: a very solid player rarely out of position who missed almost no games.

458878[/snapback]

the funny thing is, we have this exact player in posey, but everyone bitches that he sucks and TD blows for signing him because he doesnt make the pro-bowl...

Fact:  This century there are only seven NFL teams not to make the playoffs.  Name them.....

Cincinnati (That looks to change this year)

Washington (Thanks Snyder)

Jacksonville (Very close)

Houston (No clue, but expansion)

Arizona

Detroit

and yes

our Bills.  The second winningest organization of the 1990s, if officially one of the sorriest franchises this century.  Thats how I'm judging ole Whitey.

459105[/snapback]

But marck wants to give TD a pass for his first year (2001), which I think is perfectly fair.

Therefore, your list should extend to 9 other teams besides the Bills that haven't made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons: Dolphins, Jags, Texans, Bengals, Redskins, Bears, Lions, Saints, and Cards.

And so to answer the original question demanding us to name a better GM than TD, I'd have to say that a fair handful could be found among the 22 other franchises not named above.

What's probably closer to reality is that TD is a "mediocre GM" rather than an "excellent GM" as marck stated. And mediocrity is quite replaceable.

the great error by donahoe was NOT hiring fox or lewis as coach. they were the hot favorites, but TD went with williams for some reason.

fox and lewis have shown to have been solid coaches who get the most out of their assistant coaches and players.

I agree with this statement completely. Fox or Lewis would have had this team in the playoffs by now. We would not have had to change coaches and then wait for the new system to click etc.

I found this disturbing fact on another message board:

Worst records since 2001:

New Orleans: 33-34

Chicago: 30-37

Bills: 27-40

Cincy: 27-40

Cleveland: 26-41

Arizona: 22-45

Detroit: 17-50

Nice company, eh?

459149[/snapback]

We (28-42) are now behind Cincy (30-40).

F@#% you Cleveland, Arizona, and Detroit!!! You suck!!!

the funny thing is, we have this exact player in posey, but everyone bitches that he sucks and TD blows for signing him because he doesnt make the pro-bowl...

459135[/snapback]

you won't hear me saying that. he's not great, but he's solid and DOESN'T GET HURT. he was a good pickup. like i said earlier in the thread, donohoe has a great track record with linebackers.

you won't hear me saying that. he's not great, but he's solid and DOESN'T GET HURT.  he was a good pickup. like i said earlier in the thread, donohoe has a great track record with linebackers.

459169[/snapback]

oh i wasnt accusing you, i was echoing a general sentiment among the board...posey is a solid LB and i dont know why everyone is in a hurry to get rid of him...

I agree with this statement completely.  Fox or Lewis would have had this team in the playoffs by now.  We would not have had to change coaches and then wait for the new system to click etc.

459156[/snapback]

how many times do we havfta go over the fact that marvin lewis didnt WANT to come to buffalo! Tough to hire a coach who doesnt want the job... :devil: