ive come to a realization

meazza

What exactly makes a team successful? I've asked myself that question a lot of times and every time i try and come up with an answer...

i mean everytime i think buffalo has the answer to their team woes there is something new that comes and slap me in the face

for example

3 years i go i believe it was we go and get bledsoe and MW

boom our offence is explosive we score points like there is no tomorrow yet we couldnt stop the other team from scoring if our lives depended on it

solution go get some defence

year later we go get TKO and big sam and our defence all of a sudden is top 2 in the nfl, yet what happens, our offence stagnates and we cant score anymore?

solution go get offence

we go get lee evans and a new coaching staff hoping that they could sort out the problem.

it cant be that difficult to build a winner, i mean winning the super bowl is something that is extremely difficult and every year, a new analyst comes out with his recipe for success, whether its building a strong OL, whether its having a shut down defence or whether its having a strong attack or what not... what i wanna know is how come some organizations are able to be successful year in and out even when they do not have the so called ingredients to this recipe to success? Pittsburgh constantly is a threat even if they havent won one they will always be a successful organization... dallas as well, new england, indianapolis and so forth...

what is it that will take us to the playoffs and make us become a real threat to the AFC again???

I'm sure if you go through each successful team in the NFL and compare to our players there isnt really much of a difference... so why is it we cant be successful... i think its because of our system, our reliance on players, our inability to adapt during the season and make the necessary changes... New england is the best example as every single season u hear of major losses at each position yet they just throw in a guy and he ends up being a great playmaker... now we lost takeo and big pat and jonas and we're worried that its another lost year... can we have that bad of a management

sorry i dont post very often so i just thought id like to get this off my chest

What exactly makes a team successful? I've asked myself that question a lot of times and every time i try and come up with an answer...

i mean everytime i think buffalo has the answer to their team woes there is something new that comes and slap me in the face

for example

boom our offence is explosive we score points like there is no tomorrow yet we couldnt stop the other team from scoring if our lives depended on it

year later we go get TKO and big sam and our defence all of a sudden is top 2 in the nfl, yet what happens, our offence stagnates and we cant score anymore?

solution go get offence

we go get lee evans and a new coaching staff hoping that they could sort out the problem. 

it cant be that difficult to build a winner, i mean winning the super bowl is something that is extremely difficult and every year, a new analyst comes out with his recipe for success, whether its building a strong OL, whether its having a shut down defence or whether its having a strong attack or what not... what i wanna know is how come some organizations are able to be successful year in and out even when they do not have the so called ingredients to this recipe to success?  Pittsburgh constantly is a threat even if they havent won one they will always be a successful organization... dallas as well, new england, indianapolis and so forth...

what is it that will take us to the playoffs and make us become a real threat to the AFC again???

I'm sure if you go through each successful team in the NFL and compare to our players there isnt really much of a difference... so why is it we cant be successful... i think its because of our system, our reliance on players, our inability to adapt during the season and make the necessary changes... New england is the best example as every single season u hear of major losses at each position yet they just throw in a guy and he ends up being a great playmaker... now we lost takeo and big pat and jonas and we're worried that its another lost year...  can we have that bad of a management

457097[/snapback]

Welcome to the world of parity and free agency. Football sucks. :w00t:

for example

solution go get offence

it cant be that difficult to build a winner, i mean winning the super bowl is something that is extremely difficult and every year, a new analyst comes out with his recipe for success, whether its building a strong OL, whether its having a shut down defence or whether its having a strong attack or what not... what i wanna know is how come some organizations are able to be successful year in and out even when they do not have the so called ingredients to this recipe to success?  Pittsburgh constantly is a threat even if they havent won one they will always be a successful organization... dallas as well, new england, indianapolis and so forth...

I'm sure if you go through each successful team in the NFL and compare to our players there isnt really much of a difference... so why is it we cant be successful... i think its because of our system, our reliance on players, our inability to adapt during the season and make the necessary changes... New england is the best example as every single season u hear of major losses at each position yet they just throw in a guy and he ends up being a great playmaker... now we lost takeo and big pat and jonas and we're worried that its another lost year...  can we have that bad of a management

457097[/snapback]

This is part of the reason why I'm still on the TD bandwagon, even though our record since he's been here is less than stellar. I think there are lots of different philosophies to building a successful team....but sometimes you just need the right combination of ingredients, even if you don't know what they are. It's trial and error. Maybe it's just the addition of one player (e.g. Tom Brady; Antonio Gates), one coach, etc. TD is arugably the most resourceful GM in football. He's brought us some VERY nice players and he definitely keeps the offseasons interesting. I just truly believe that sooner or later, that missing ingredient is going to be here.....and TD will be the guy who finds it for us. We're only three games into this season....for all we know, we'll end up 9-7 or better....I know a lot of people disagree, but I think we're getting closer.

yup, it's hard. Can't even say that keeping the same coaching staff equals success. Look at what little Holmgren has done in Seattle. A supposedly good coach with all the cash (but still limited salary cap) and all the decisions he could want for what, 6-7 years now? he's a whopping 46 wins and 46 losses, with 1 playoff victory.

The NFL is hard. It takes a lot of things to go right.

I'm happy with the executives.

I'm happy with the coaches.

I'm Mostly happy with the players.

Sad about our record so far. But not surprised.

If Lossman can get it all together, I honestly think we'll start taking it to teams. But he's young. it's showing.

for example

solution go get offence

457097[/snapback]

GREAT POST!!....

What I might add is that a big part of being successful is getting lucky with a great QB. Who really knew what a great QB Tom Brady would be??--But the poise he showed and the instincts he showed from day one were astounding.NE wouldnt have sniffed one SB without him.There is no one in the league even close to him--sorry Manning supporters---but TB is much more poised and much ,more clutch.

So other than having the greatest D of all time(arguably Balti)--the greatest asset is a great QB---and getting one seems to be more a matter of luck than anything.

GREAT POST!!....

What I might add is that a big part of being successful is getting lucky with a great QB. Who really knew what a great QB Tom Brady would be??--But the poise he showed and the instincts he showed from day one were astounding.NE wouldnt have sniffed one SB without him.There is no one in the league even close to him--sorry Manning supporters---but TB is much more poised and much ,more clutch.

So other than having the greatest D of all time(arguably Balti)--the greatest asset is a great QB---and getting one seems to be more  a matter of luck than anything.

457341[/snapback]

but will we get that QB? Was it the offensive line we were missing, what is it?

If Losman turns out to be successful than great job but if the team does not end up being succesful then i still won't blame the GM for he did a job of getting some high profile players... we just lack the vision that some coaches seem to have to put in the right players at the right time.

I'm sure if you go through each successful team in the NFL and compare to our players there isnt really much of a difference...

457097[/snapback]

Well...Not to sure about that...No question The Bills can match any Contender in Talent...on Special Teams...

But overall...I don't buy it...Inferior Offensive and Defensive Lines are at the root of the Bills problems, and most contending Teams are pretty decent in that Area...

One of the HUGE problems as I see it is this adminstrations inability to Scout and Draft on the Offensive and Defensive Lines...They get a couple decent Players in Schobel and Williams through the Draft...not much else now that Jennings is gone...And Free Agency? Sam Adams is great next to another good DT...Not so great on his own...Villariel...Teague...OK, but not good enough...I think especially on the Defensive Line there have been plenty of Players available over last few years, and for whatever reason, TD has not been interested...

And how in Gods Name can a Team with so much average to decent Talent not have the money to already have Nate Clements signed long term? I mean look at this Roster overall and ask yourself...Where is all the Cap Money? I mean I know we know where it is, but based on what they have, there should be more...

Just my opinion...

The key to building a winner is, and always will be, having a good line on both sides of the ball. It's that simple.

457356[/snapback]

then why do so many "intelligent" football minds choose to go for stars , why doesnt every GM implement this philosophy :S

The key to building a winner is, and always will be, having a good line on both sides of the ball. It's that simple.

457356[/snapback]

But with Brady on this team we are 2-1 minimum--probbly 3-0...,,with manning same thing....--but having a great QB is the quickest path to success(and the most unlikely to happen)

last year i had absolutely no faith in the management and they gave me an entertaining season... although there was no playoffs i also haev to realize that only 6 teams out of 16 make it... this year i will give them the benefit of the doubt and im confident they will give me a good season... its still young

go bills

then why do so many "intelligent" football minds choose to go for stars , why doesnt every GM implement this philosophy :S

457361[/snapback]

Bills fans, more than most others, should know how much a offensive line means and how overated a qbs importance is. Two pretty average qbs beat us in Hostetler and the other guy Rypien in Super Bowls. I would venture to say that Kelly was better than both those guys? Rypien was the MVP in his. How in the hell did that happen?

Bills fans, more than most others, should know how much a offensive line means and how overated a qbs importance is. Two pretty average qbs beat us in Hostetler and the other guy Rypien in Super Bowls. I would venture to say that Kelly was better than both those guys? Rypien was the MVP in his. How in the hell did that happen?

457381[/snapback]

Not to mention, the Bills own offensive line during those Super Bowls was pretty damn great too!

Maybe the greatest offensive line in recent times, the Cowboys of the mid-90's, was largely responsible for their success.

It has always, and always will, come down to offensive and defensive lines. TD seems to always be looking for bargains along the lines, and most have not really panned out to be anything more than average.

Not to mention, the Bills  own offensive line during those Super Bowls was pretty damn great too!

Maybe the greatest offensive line in recent times, the Cowboys of the mid-90's, was largely responsible for their success. 

It has always, and always will, come down to offensive and defensive lines.  TD seems to always be looking for bargains along the lines, and most have not really panned out to be anything more than average.

457391[/snapback]

That makes it even more of a problem in this age of free agency and salary cap when you pay top dollar for a Right Tackle. A Right Tackle that's taken three years to decide he wants to play at an above journeyman level, that is.

GREAT POST!!....

So other than having the greatest D of all time(arguably Balti)--the greatest asset is a great QB---and getting one seems to be more  a matter of luck than anything.

457341[/snapback]

Yes, NE has Tom Brady and he's a fantastic QB but let's not forget they had tons of injuries on D last year.... We are bummed out by losing one guy (TKO) and they had like 5 or 6 starters out for significant time and scrubs playing the secondary..and they still got it done. That's why I'm not writing off the season yet. We can still somehow manage to pull it together (assuming Losman starts looking like a real NFL QB soon).

457356[/snapback]

I don' care what play they call,,It won't work if the players don't block anybody and everybody at the point of attack ,,some fans just don't seem to be able to get that through their heads ,,also it's time for the PLAYERS to make some plays thats why they are called players and the coaches can't run out on the field and do it for them...