Tom Donahoe

Frez

Well, I don't see any reason why our defense will continue crapping the bed.....I dont understand the breakdowns the last two games, but they'll get it together.

455988[/snapback]

I agree, I think the defense will come around, even without Spikes. It may not be what we saw last year, but they will get back to the middle of the pack. Unfortuantely, unless JP really learns fast (or Holcomb gets some starts?), it won't be good enough to get this team back to the playoffs.

As far as not understanding the defensive breakdowns, I have posted it a 100 times, so what is one more? Losing Pat Williams was a huge loss, but then to not pursue anybody to replace him (Corey Simon was out there?) was even more foolish. I like TD, but it seems like too much of the teams potential for success, year after year now, has been placed on the backs of unproven, or journeymen offensive and defensive linemen.

it's not always about the moves TD does make.......often it's about the moves he doesn't make.......i.e. not properly addressing needs this off-season choosing instead to bargain bin shop......

by the way, AW has proven to be worth the cash (the market for CB's has continued to explode) and time will tell if JJ and PW live up to their contracts......you are correct on clements though and it's a shame this deal isn't done.......

Everything is a tradeoff. Is paying AW really better than having McGee play corner and using the cash to lock up schobel?

JJ is tough. We needed him. But he is far from a top LT. And he is not worth the $$$. Unfortunatly we are paying for it now though. PW is getting older and will never be Phat Pat as we knew him again.

You talk about the moves he didnt make...what were they? Not trading Henry for Shelton? Any way you cut it, that was a good move. Not bringing in Drew Henson? Not signing Sam Cowart? Not going with AVP as the starting QB....what moves are you saying he didnt make that were bad?

But lets get NC SIGNED! unfortunaly wont happen til the offseason. I smell a Franchise Tag Comming up.

Well, listen.

It is obvious that Tom has not done a good job fielding a football team.  You cant argue that.  The proof is there.

The problem I have critisizing him is that I dont know what bad moves (other than GW) he made.  Some say drew, I disagree.  Letting go of Pat, Jonas and AW....hard moves, but they werent worth the money (BTW, clement IS...).  The handling of Price Bordered on Genious.  Milloy and Spikes were great additions...McNally is a great coach.  The coaching staff and front office (Modrak) is second to none.  Everything is great...except we arent winning.

So yes, TD needs to share the blame.  But we as fans need to not just be critical.  We also need to understand that he has done just about exactly what we wanted him to do. 

We need to work on the O-Line and find some defensive youth.  Thats about it.  I think JP will come around eventually, but he was a PROJECT.  thats what everyone was saying on draft day.  He was 3-4 years in the making.  Somehow everyone (including TD) forgot that.  As long as he keeps his head on straight, he will be a good QB in a couple years

456032[/snapback]

Nice post.

The more I watch the Patriots & Eagles get ravaged by injuries and continue winning every year though, the more crucial I think the QB/Coach combo is. Clearly Bledsoe/GW is a disastrous duo. MM/JP? Like you I like MM and his staff, but even they're inexperienced outside the ST and OL coaches. JP obviously cannot play right now. One thing I question is the timing of the whole QB thing. It seems to me they should've either gotten JP's feet wet last year to get him ready for this season, or since they didn't do that, sign & play a veteran QB to make a run this year. By playing the rook QB in the final year of our defense being in tact, the future just doesn't look all that bright. I honestly don't see the 'glass half full' side of it. IF JP becomes good next year (a huge if) we still have to address OL, DL, and DB if we don't re-sign Nate. Not to mention Adams, Vincent & Milloy aren't getting any younger. Can anybody rationalize a scenerio where this team might be good next year? :devil:

I'll admit getting caught up in the "McNally Magic" -- McNally will make a star out of average talent. Clearly, this is not the case. On a similar note, I guess I also believed that Sam Wyche could make an NFL starter out of JP Losman in no time. Clearly, this is also not the case. Why TD stood relatively pat with the offensive line is indeed a mystery. Everyone knows that it all starts at the line.

I'm also pissed with McGahee. He hasn't earned the right to have an attitude. With an incentive-filled contract, I would think that there would be more effort from him. Then again, the line has been horrid, so it's difficult to place too much blame. All-in-all, this team is just a huge disappointment in nearly every aspect.

I, for one, would not be sorry to see TD sent packing. In the age of free agency, there is no longer such a thing as a "5-year plan" -- a 2 or 3 year plan, maybe, but nothing more. I've been a fan of this team since about 1969 and don't have much more patience for this team. Look at what Nick Saban is doing in Miami with supposedly less talent! I like Mularkey, but Tom Clements is clearly not going to succeed as an offensive coordinator.

Am I happy.. YES

Do I believe the Bills are on the right track...YES

Did I expect the team to struggle early on this year... YES

Fact is

Bills are in Good Shape Salary Cap wise

Bills have great young talent

The Bills will have a chance to win every game they play this year

It will be just a matter of time and experince before they put it together.

Good Job Tom D

I love Ralph.       BILLS ...., now I’ll be playing golf on these beautiful Sunday afternoons instead of sitting on couch going nutz!!!!!!   Glad my ass in only in the seats for the home opener every year. I'll be back next year, the partying and food is to good.. takes me weeks to recover,,

SSDY since 1964....

No need to get deeper, it doesn't matter... I'm done wasting time... Red Zone, hammer the friigin ball in.. 3rd and 2 , shotgun GMAFB...

How long can this go on?   Send JP to Europe next year ,, remember , he went to TULANE!!! Memphis State always KICKED TULANE ass!!!!!  GMAFB...

Thanks for letting me vent..

455993[/snapback]

If TD had an once of sense he would sent JP to Europe this year. CW says you don't do that but common sense tells you he couldn't possibly be ready to start and perform at an acceptable level. Just another TD super miscaculation. My fanny will not fill a seat at the stadium until that arrogant dope is history.

I'll admit getting caught up in the "McNally Magic" -- McNally will make a star out of average talent.  Clearly, this is not the case.  On a similar note, I guess I also believed that Sam Wyche could make an NFL starter out of JP Losman in no time.  Clearly, this is also not the case.  Why TD stood relatively pat with the offensive line is indeed a mystery.  Everyone knows that it all starts at the line.

I'm also pissed with McGahee.  He hasn't earned the right to have an attitude.  With an incentive-filled contract, I would think that there would be more effort from him.  Then again, the line has been horrid, so it's difficult to place too much blame.  All-in-all, this team is just a huge disappointment in nearly every aspect.

I, for one, would not be sorry to see TD sent packing.  In the age of free agency, there is no longer such a thing as a "5-year plan" -- a 2 or 3 year plan, maybe, but nothing more.  I've been a fan of this team since about 1969 and don't have much more patience for this team.  Look at what Nick Saban is doing in Miami with supposedly less talent!  I like Mularkey, but Tom Clements is clearly not going to succeed as an offensive coordinator.

456101[/snapback]

I can't say that I disagree with this, IF the Bills do in fact miss the playoffs again this year. My question is: who do you bring in to replace him? I am sure that there is a better football mind out there somewhere, but I don't know who that will be.

Ralph Wilson does not have a stellar record hiring people to run the organization. Since the leagues merged, you basically have his decision to hire Stu Barber and Chuck Knox and then Bill Polian who brought in Marv. Everyone else that he chose to hire has been horrible to adequate (again, assuming the Bills miss the playoffs again - which is not a given). If the team does miss the playoffs this year, I would not be adamant about not firing Donahoe, but I definitely want the Bills to have a plan for who they will bring in before getting rid of Donahoe.

On paper, even with essentially a rookie quarterback, this team should be challenging for a playoff spot. If they get there, Donahoe is definitely back; if not, unless the team feels reasonably certain that they can hire someone who will do better then I guess the Bills enter year 6 of the 3 year plan.

Dave.

On paper, even with essentially a rookie quarterback, this team should be challenging for a playoff spot.

If the GM has done such an outstanding job that you think his roster should be challenging for a playoff spot with a rookie QB in the NFL's toughest division, then how could you possibly even consider the idea of canning the guy if they don't happen to get in?

If the GM has done such an outstanding job that you think his roster should be challenging for a playoff spot with a rookie QB in the NFL's toughest division, then how could you possibly even consider the idea of canning the guy if they don't happen to get in?

456193[/snapback]

Simon, you're a well-known and respected supporter of TD. Perhaps you can lend some insight into his handling of the OL vis-a-vis his tim with the Steelers...seeing as the Steelers have a fantastic OL. What's the difference here?

The problem I have critisizing him is that I dont know what bad moves (other than GW) he made.  Some say drew, I disagree.  Letting go of Pat, Jonas and AW....hard moves, but they werent worth the money (BTW, clement IS...).  The handling of Price Bordered on Genious.  Milloy and Spikes were great additions...McNally is a great coach.  The coaching staff and front office (Modrak) is second to none.  Everything is great...except we arent winning.

456032[/snapback]

Creating a O-line of Gandy, Anderson, Teague, and Villarial I consider to be a bad move. You can't give him a pass on that. Jeff Posey has done nothing. I think Bledsoe was a bad move, but lets not get into that. Really, his problem has been drafting. Some picks look good - McGee, but he is the only starter that was drafted after the second round (not counting Edwards, because he stinks). The starters he has added to the current roster in five drafts are:

1st round: 5

2nd: 2

3rd: 1

4th: 1

Nine starters in five drafts won't cut it. To highlight Donahoe's poor drafting, I think the best example is DT. He didn't use a high pick on one, but knowing full well that he was grooming a successor to Phat Pat for years, he couldn't produce one between Edwards (3rd), Bannan (5th), and Anderson (3rd). A good GM would have. And now, many on this board think DT is what we need most in the first round!

It will be just a matter of time and experince before they put it together.

Good Job Tom D

456111[/snapback]

The fact of the matter is anyone of us on this board could've done the job Donahoe has done - no playoffs in four seasons. And it's looking like a fifth in a row (despite this post, I am optimistic). And a sixth could be likely if TKO doesn't come back the same, Clements develops Spikes losing syndrome and wantsto go to a winner, and Moulds and the safties countinue to age.

456193[/snapback]

Now with J-E-T-S playing God knows who at quarterback and Miami still hard to believe in, can you still call thisthe best division? It might even be the worst division in the AFC.

456193[/snapback]

You are missing my point. The point is, right now there are a lot of people posting that Donahoe should be gone. Without a plan to bring someone better than him in, the Bills are setting themselves up for even worse problems.

As for your question about how does one consider replacing him? Well, Donahoe has put together a team that I think looks good on paper these last few years, even with the offensive line woes. (It doesn't look like my opinion is shared nationally as most preseason publications have tended to have the Bills finishing 3rd or 4th in the division typically.) However the team has not performed up to the preseason expectations. I still think that this team can make the playoffs (even with Takeo's injury). But if they don't, maybe I've overestimated how good a job Donahoe's been doing. Donahoe's performance should be evaluated just like any of the players or coaches regardless of how the Bills do.

Donahoe right now is in an elite region of league GMs; his team is one of only 4 or 5 to have missed the playoffs for the last 4 years running. I give him a pass on the 1st 2 years because of the salary cap issues he inherited. Eventually though, you reach a point where you have to perform. How could you possibly not even CONSIDER the possibility of replacing a guy who has not gotten the job done for 5 years (assuming they miss the playoffs again). At what point in time do you start to consider replacing him? At 6 years, 8 years, 20 years, never?

Dave.

Are we as Bills fans happy with Mr. Donahoe and the way he has built this team? How many years does it really take to put a team into the playoffs?

Mr Donahoe just received a 5 year extension from Ralph Wilson. Is this team about winning or putting asses in the seats?

455913[/snapback]

Bottom line...Pittsburgh has done quite well since they booted him. How have we done?

You are missing my point.  The point is, right now there are a lot of people posting that Donahoe should be gone.  Without a plan to bring someone better than him in, the Bills are setting themselves up for even worse problems.

456374[/snapback]

I do not have any names of future GMs, but I can tell you where I would go look. Find a Director of Player Personel from a successful team, and offer him the job. Here are a few teams to look at:

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Indianapolis

New England

Philadelphia

New York Giants

Denver

Just my thoughts.

Simon, you're a well-known and respected supporter of TD. Perhaps you can lend some insight into his handling of the OL vis-a-vis his tim with the Steelers...seeing as the Steelers have a fantastic OL. What's the difference here?

456325[/snapback]

Joe, this is the best I can do for you. This is ONLY the draft and does NOT take UFA signings or losses into account:

Bills:

OC: Tom Nutten - 7th round (13)

OG: Ruben Brown - !st round (14)

OT: None

Steelers:

OC: None

OG: Brendan Stai - 3rd round (27)

Bills:

OC: Dusty Zeigler - 6th round (35)

OG: None

Steelers:

OT: Jarmain Stephens - 1st round (29)

Bills:

OG: Marcus Spriggs - 6th round (22)

OT: Jamie Nails - 4th round (24)

Steelers:

OT: Paul Wiggins - 3rd round (22)

Bills:

OG: Victor Allotey - 7th round (9)

OT: Robert Hicks - 3rd round (7th)

Steelers:

OG: Alan Faneca - 1st round (26)

OT: Chris Conrad - 3rd round (5)

Bills:

Steelers:

OT: Kris Farris - 3rd round (13)

Bills:

Steelers:

OT: Marvel Smith - 2nd round (7)

2001:

Bills:

OT: Jonas Jennings - 3rd round (33)

Marquez Sullivan - 5th round (13)

Steelers:

OC: Chukky Okabi - 5th round (15)

OT: Mathin Kwenti - 4th round (16)

2002:

Bills:

OG: Mike Pucillo - 7th round (4th)

OT: Mike Williams - 1st round (4)

Steelers:

OG: Kendall Simmons - 7th (4)

Bills:

OG: Ben Sobieski - 5th round (16)

Steelers:

2004:

Bills:

OT Dylan McFarland - 7th round (6)

Steelers:

OC: Drew Caylor: 6th round (32)

OT: Max Starks - 3rd round (12)

Bo Lacey - 6th round (12)

2005:

Bills:

OC: Duke Preston - 4th round (21)

OG: Justin Geisinger - 6th round (23)

Steelers:

OG: Chris Kenoeatu - 6th round (30)

OT: Trai Essey - 3rd round (29)

It took so long to prepare this that I haven't had a chance to ponder it, but it looks to me as if we historically draft bad blockers. Whadda ya think?

456397[/snapback]

Nice research, Bill. You get an A this morning.

One thing that stands out to me is that TD drafted 7 day 1 picks in 6 years with the Steelers (or 6 in 5 if he wasn't with the Steelers in the 2000 offseason).

Then, in his 5 offseasons with the Bills, only 2 OL were drafted in day 1, and NONE in the past 3 years.

Nice research, Bill. You get an A this morning.

One thing that stands out to me is that TD drafted 7 day 1 picks in 6 years with the Steelers (or 6 in 5 if he wasn't with the Steelers in the 2000 offseason).

Then, in his 5 offseasons with the Bills, only 2 OL were drafted in day 1, and NONE in the past 3 years.

456406[/snapback]

LOL! I'm glad someone appreciates it. I am not Lori nor nirvjam who can do these things in 2 minutes! :o

Some observations:

1) Both teams tanked with Farris. :lol:

2) This doesn't even bring us to Joe Panos, Jerry Ostroski and a washed up, 5.7 million dollar John Fina.

3) Imo, Jennings was our best value pick and he is gone.

4) Ruben was a great pick