LET HIM THROW THE ROCK!!

Huh???  It's quite the opposite.  The team's success depends upon the Losman's development. 

Backing into the playoffs with little chance of advancing is near-sighted, pandering, and pointless.  It's the sign of a coaching staff and administration trying to keep their paychecks coming. 

Prudent development is the high ground.

451313[/snapback]

My point was that the Bills should focus on winning as a team - even if that means JP is restricted in the same way Pittsburgh managed Big Ben last year - over letting JP air it out and gain a lot of experience reading D's but losing a lot of games for the team in the process.

And I wouldn't call it "backing into the playoffs" because:

A. If you make the playoffs in the NFL system, you're qualified.

B. Once you're in the playoffs, it's any given Sunday.

C. Many of our players could use the postseason experience now for future playoff runs.

D. Given the salary cap constraints, the ages of many of our veterans, the contract status of many of our veterans, and the randomness of injuries, you never know when this year will be your last for a long time.

Making the playoffs would be a sign of our coaches' competence and not a sign of them "trying to keep their paychecks coming."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the kid can play football. he had a bad day accuracy-wise against tampa. the whole team (aside from milloy and vincent) had bad days against tampa.

without a dominant OL, the bills need to pass to set up the run. for better or worse, i think this means they need to open things up. look how well that worked vs. houston in week 1. now, i hear you saying, "houston sucks," which certainly may be true. but the plan still makes sense. they were surprised (and admitted as much) that buffalo came out throwing.

against tampa, while it's easy to suggest that there was simply an error in gameplanning, mistakes were made by almost everyone on the offense when it came to execution. if willis runs hard rather than trying to outrun a fast defense to the corner, perhaps there are some 2-4 yard gains on first or second down, leaving the bills with shorter conversions. if JP is more accurate with his throws, perhaps the defense would have backed off and there would have been more room for willis to run. bottom line -- execution was poor all the way around.

the mantra for all opposing defenses this year has been, "losman doesn't scare us." they're geared up to take away mcgahee. until losman does something TO scare them, it will be an ugly offensive show.

i expect buffalo to open things up. we'll see.

I've been saying it all week dude. We simply don't have the offensive line to be a consistent power rushing team that can grind out 1st down after 1st down. Our second best offensive weapon is Lee Evans and to ignore what he can do when putting together a game plan is foolish.

451228[/snapback]

Agreed with that statement. It is tough to establish the run with 8 or 9 in the box against any team. Once Losman connects with his passes teams will respect the pass more and Willis will be able to run for his yardage. Until that happens I see our offense really hurting.

How did Josh Reed have multiple catches on 1st down then? Was Moulds or Evans taken out of the game? The only position I noticed Reed in was the slot, I could be wrong though.

451338[/snapback]

He got 3-4 cathces on the last drive on FIRST down when Tampa was playing prevent. In the first half on most first down the Bills came out with 2 TEs, 2RB and 1 WR; occasionly they went with a staggered I with 2 WR. They only bought Reed in on obvious passing situations. And my point is also: they never attempted to run with Reed in the game. Write it down: the Bills will not pose a threat in the passing game with the TE's and RB's we currently have as the D will double the outside guys all day. Look at it from an opponenet persepective: would you fear Campbell across the middle or Shelton/ McGahee coming out of the backfield? Maybe Willis can be a force in the passing game but he hasn't shown it yet!

Mr. Gilbride, you were fired two years ago.  Please go home.

The Management

451399[/snapback]

while your comment is funny, my point still stands. until the bills PROVE that the passing game can be dangerous, teams will stack up against the run.

killdrive was a dope for things like passing on 3rd and 1, and for putting an immobile QB in a position to be killed.

From everything I've seen so far, the pass protection from the OL this year has actually been ABOVE where I think many of us expected it would be (blitzes not withstanding). The run blocking, though "easier", has been more of a work in progress which definitely needs a lot more tuning. They need to keep at it to make the running game work, but overall balance will be the key. I am with those who call for a 50/50 run pass ratio.

I think that our passing offense should improve once Roscoe comes back. Who knows when that will happen. The Bills certainly are not saying.

I also think that we should be able to pass the ball effectively if opposing defenses continue to crowd the line of scrimmage. I really hope that the Bills offensive "brain trust" is preparing JP for this and that JP is ready to make teams pay for concentrating on stopping Willis.

Guest BackInDaDay
Write it down: the Bills will not pose a threat in the passing game with the TE's and RB's we currently have as the D will double the outside guys all day. Look at it from an opponenet persepective: would you fear Campbell across the middle or Shelton/ McGahee coming out of the backfield? Maybe Willis can be a force in the passing game but he hasn't shown it yet!

451405[/snapback]

Preaching to the choir. :(

You defend us from the outside -> in.

Get your CBs up in our WRs face to take away quick screens and short slants. Without a TE threat, your Safeties can sit in a Cover-2, or aggresively double one, or both WR (depending on field position). Get your DEs upfield, outside the OTs.

Depending on O tendencies you've picked up on thru filmwork, stagger your DT(s) in/out techniques in relation to run support from your ILB. Your OLBs will read the OGs for traps and counters to their side, and control cut-backs inside the OTs.

You've taken away Moulds and Evans.

You'll contain McGahee and make him work for his yards - inside.

You'll keep JP where he won't hurt you (yet) - in the pocket - making decisions, not plays.

You'll live with the slot receiver or TE getting yards over the middle, because neither is a threat to burn your LBs too bad.

The good news is.. even sound D game-plans can be attacked. :P

Take what they're giving - the middle of the field. Get the TEs involved in the passing game.

Let the stay out there. Use your OG's play and fakes to freeze the D into their outside responsibilities, while you run where they're not.

Don't concede the deep outside. Use 3 and 4-WR formations. This will keep the Safeties occupied - but you have to throws to those 'flags' and 'posts' to keep them occupied!

Claim more real-estate along the LOS. Overload the strong-side with either a wing-back(H-back) or slot-man, pull your Gs and take the corner from the DE and OLB.

And the best news yet... The Bills' coaches know all this and much, much more.

I don't expect them to get caught with their pants down again, but they'll have to make great adjustments to how the D reacts to our attacks. Hey, I like that. :lol:

Preaching to the choir.  :(

Get your CBs up in our WRs face to take away quick screens and short slants.  Without a TE threat, your Safeties can sit in a Cover-2, or aggresively double one, or both WR (depending on field position).  Get your DEs upfield, outside the OTs.

Depending on O tendencies you've picked up on thru filmwork, stagger your DT(s) in/out techniques in relation to run support from your ILB.  Your OLBs will read the OGs for traps and counters to their side, and control cut-backs inside the OTs.

You'll keep JP where he won't hurt you (yet) - in the pocket - making decisions, not plays.

You'll live with the slot receiver or TE getting yards over the middle, because neither is a threat to burn your LBs too bad.

The good news is.. even sound D game-plans can be attacked.  :P

Take what they're giving - the middle of the field. Get the TEs involved in the passing game.

Let the stay out there.  Use your OG's play and fakes to freeze the D into their outside responsibilities, while you run where they're not.

Don't concede the deep outside.  Use 3 and 4-WR formations.  This will keep the Safeties occupied - but you have to throws to those 'flags' and 'posts' to keep them occupied!

Claim more real-estate along the LOS. Overload the strong-side with either a wing-back(H-back) or slot-man, pull your Gs and take the corner from the DE and OLB.

I don't expect them to get caught with their pants down again, but they'll have to make great adjustments to how the D reacts to our attacks. Hey, I like that.  :lol:

451694[/snapback]

Nice analysis. Based upon that we ought to be seeing a lot more Drags and Crossing routes in the passing offense. Here's to hoping. :P

Preaching to the choir.  :(

Get your CBs up in our WRs face to take away quick screens and short slants.  Without a TE threat, your Safeties can sit in a Cover-2, or aggresively double one, or both WR (depending on field position).  Get your DEs upfield, outside the OTs.

Depending on O tendencies you've picked up on thru filmwork, stagger your DT(s) in/out techniques in relation to run support from your ILB.  Your OLBs will read the OGs for traps and counters to their side, and control cut-backs inside the OTs.

The good news is.. even sound D game-plans can be attacked.  :P

Let the stay out there.  Use your OG's play and fakes to freeze the D into their outside responsibilities, while you run where they're not.

Don't concede the deep outside.  Use 3 and 4-WR formations.  This will keep the Safeties occupied - but you have to throws to those 'flags' and 'posts' to keep them occupied!

I don't expect them to get caught with their pants down again, but they'll have to make great adjustments to how the D reacts to our attacks. Hey, I like that.  :lol:

451694[/snapback]

hence the drafting of two speed guys who will go over the middle (parrish and everett) with our first two picks. it's horrible luck that both were injured and have yet to see the field.

Something to consider:

The Falcons' defense is 26th against the pass.

The Bills game plan cannot be lopsided but it HAS to take advantage of this fact.

Also, I am starting to sound like a broken record, but it is not Gandy or the TEs who are f*cking up the blocking.

It is FB Daimon Shelton. :P

He needs to do his job or be replaced. Is Joe Burns WORSE? Do not take this wrong, I WANT Shelton to succeed but I am not seeing it!

Heck, bring in Goldsberry off the practice squad. :(

From everything I've seen so far, the pass protection from the OL this year has actually been ABOVE where I think many of us expected it would be (blitzes not withstanding). The run blocking, though "easier", has been more of a work in progress which definitely needs a lot more tuning. They need to keep at it to make the running game work, but overall balance will be the key. I am with those who call for a 50/50 run pass ratio.

451488[/snapback]

I think to some degree the "improved" (slightly) pass protection is probably somewhat due to JP being there instead of Drew. Obviously JP has escapablilty and that plays into how the D-line rushes. With Drew, they could just haul-off and go for the spot they KNOW he'll be. They didn't have to worry about containment...scrambling...etc.

It's a little more difficult with JP.

Something to consider:

The Falcons' defense is 26th against the pass.

The Bills game plan cannot be lopsided but it HAS to take advantage of this fact.

Also, I am starting to sound like a broken record, but it is not Gandy or the TEs who are f*cking up the blocking.

It is FB Daimon Shelton.  :lol:

He needs to do his job or be replaced. Is Joe Burns WORSE? Do not take this wrong, I WANT Shelton to succeed but I am not seeing it!

Heck, bring in Goldsberry off the practice squad.  :lol:

451917[/snapback]

I'm hoping Shelton has a repeat of last season where he got off to a slow start (to put it nicely) and then picked up his game in the last 10-11 games. If not, you're right, Shelton is a liabitly though I'm not sure what options the Bills really have here. He's still much better than Joe Burns and unless they actually try to scheme it to avoid having a FB on the field much (which is a mistake) we'll just have to live with Shelton.

I'm hoping Shelton has a repeat of last season where he got off to a slow start (to put it nicely) and then picked up his game in the last 10-11 games.  If not, you're right, Shelton is a liabitly though I'm not sure what options the Bills really have here.  He's still much better than Joe Burns and unless they actually try to scheme it to avoid having a FB on the field much (which is a mistake) we'll just have to live with Shelton.

452066[/snapback]

it is a possibility to use neufeld as n H-back as they did last year too. he did look ok in pass portection too

You can't have it both ways.  If the o-line isn't good enough to establish a run game, as some suggest, than there's only one other option.

I'm cool with a 50/50 split, even.  I don't care how bad Gandy is, he can hold off a DL long enough for Losman to hit a quick out.  I don't care if the pass plays only pick up 4-5 yards, the fact is right now opposing Ds know exactly what we are going to call.

Let's assume that the o-line hasn't jelled enough to enable us to establish a consistent running game week in and week out.  Enough of you are calling for personnel changes and player pickups to tell me that you can live with this assumption.

Given that, and given you're the coach--you tell me what play you're going to call?

As far as comments re: "garbage game,"  and "circus side-show," I respect your right to your opinion, but just offering "we need to establish a running game" is not really advancing the discussion.  We all know that.  We all get that.  If McGahee comes out against Atlanta and has a good, solid game running north/south, great.  That'll mean the O-line started to figure it out, and we have a chance to go 8-8. 

Despite assertions that my posts are "rah-rah,"  I am NOT a bandwagon-jumping, starry-eyed Bills fanatic.  Like some of you, I have been a fan for a long time--40 years, actually--and have seen Bills football far worse than this.

I'm sticking with my original assertion:  the Bills need to throw more.

451295[/snapback]

Nice post, and a belated welcome to TBD, the best site on the internet.

JP is brand new to the NFL in terms of playing in football games. He is not (imo) prepared to carry this team on his back, not yet at least (if ever).

A pass happy game behind a second rate to average OL runs the risk of injuring him, or even ruining his confidence after he gets plastered a few times.

To quote one sickening man (who I will admit DOES know the game of football)....."A football team that can't run the football is not a football team."

This quote is from Jimmy Johnson. He is an !@#$, but he is right.