Rita

diver

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid !@#$ing media. 

Yes, it's a category 5...and the media's reporting 165 kt winds.  Except that those are flight-level winds.  The surface wind estimate is actually 145 kt, gusting to 175 kt.

Which is nothing to sneeze at, obviously (the difference between 155mph and 181mph, in practical terms, is negligable to anyone caught in it).  But way to report accurately and not cave to alarmism, media.  <_<

Central pressure's down to 914, too...stronger than Andrew, and into Katrina territory.

449770[/snapback]

i know, when the media reports the flight-level winds, everyone panics ever more. Morons. But you hafta admit, shes an awfully pretty storm. Her and Katrina were 2 beautiful Cat 5 ladies out in the Gulf...

living in FL has gotten me addicted to hurricanes...i have a reasonably strong math background, i may just ditch biophysics grad school and get a meteorology degree and become a hurricane chaser/storm expert...that would be fun...

WTF?  Wasn't this still a tropical storm 2 days ago?  It's amazing how quickly these storms can ramp up.

449813[/snapback]

Low shear, high convection, anti-cyclonic activity in the upper atmosphere...all coupled with the fact that the gulf is literally as warm as piss...

Mix ingredients from above...

Add in a tropical wave (a low pressure trougth)...

Spin and release...

perfect ingredients for a large hurricane...

i know, when the media reports the flight-level winds, everyone panics ever more. Morons. But you hafta admit, shes an awfully pretty storm. Her and Katrina were 2 beautiful Cat 5 ladies out in the Gulf...

living in FL has gotten me addicted to hurricanes...i have a reasonably strong math background, i may just ditch biophysics grad school and get a meteorology degree and become a hurricane chaser/storm expert...that would be fun...

449790[/snapback]

Since I'm a meteorologist, I feel I can offer some insight. Yes, the 165 mph winds are flight level winds...but winds this strong can mix down down in gusts to the surface in the heavy squalls surrounding the eyewall. For intense well organized storms like this, the National Hurricane Center uses a 90% reduction, i.e. they take off about 10% of the max flight level winds to determine the max surface wind gusts.

I am not an alarmist by nature, but what we are looking at now in satellite is a perfect storm. Just about eveything a hurricane needs to intensify is occurring with the storm. Very warm water, low shear, symeterical outflow. I beame alramed earlier today when I saw the small eye and pefrectly symetrical very cold cloud tops surrounding the storm. Rita will likely continue to intensify for the next 12-18 hours, especially now that she is crossing the warm loop current.

Fortunately storms this strong have a hard time maintaining this intensity and it should "weaken" down to category 4 storm after 24 hours, if not sooner. It is difficult to accurately forecast shear far out in time, so hopefully Rita will encounter some soon. I also think that the storm could encounter some dry mid level air which would also weaken her. Realistically I do not see how this storm could drop below category 3 since the gulf water temperatures will remain above 80, and a category 4 at landfall is very possible.

Houston, we have a problem.

449696[/snapback]

I should say so.

I saw the cameras on the freeways in and around Houston. People are leaving. Galveston has been ordered evacuated.

What a freaking mess.

BTW, just heard the official Katrina death toll has reached 1,000+.

As I said, what a mess.

Mike

With where rita is going, and your comment, all i hafta say is...

"There's nothing wrong with Ohio

except the snow and the rain

I really like Drew Carey

and I'd love to see the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame

So when your done doing whatever

and when your thru doing whoever

you know Denton County will be right here waiting for you....

Come back to Texas

Its just not the same since you went away

Before you lose your accent

and forget all about the Lonestar State

There's a seat for you at the rodeo

and I've got every slow dance saved

Besides the Mexican food sucks north of here anyway"

449396[/snapback]

I think that's "Ohio" by Bowling for Soup, correct?

Oh, and to the person who has the issues with religious fundamentalists, I've heard pretty much the same thing.

I'm a devout Christian, but I don't wanna give the doomsayers any quarter. Jesus said He'd come back, and it's His time, not ours or yours or anyone else's. These things are cyclical...but I do not believe that the end is near...yet.

I'm safe here in Ohio, but with all the hurricanes, I'm starting to wonder how bad this winter's gonna be. We had 117 inches of snow last winter.

Mike

im told its a "biblical" thing, and we will see more of this, this year.  <_< 

so should i just punch them in the face, or should i punch my self in the face cus i have to live in a world of idiots???

449442[/snapback]

Oops. That was you.

The above post is directed towards you. :lol:

Mike