Rita

diver

We have that in VA as well. 

Norfolk, most people pronounce it as it looks  Nor-folk.  However it isn't pronouced that way. The Norfolk High cheerleaders actually do a cheer with the correct pronunciation:

We don't drink,

We don't smoke,

Nor Fvck. 

The r is almost silent as it is said quickly and the L is silent.  Also the second O is more of a u sound.

450240[/snapback]

You frickin' northern Virginians don't say it right, ya' damn yankee wannabe's. :blink: It's actually Nah-fik for those born and bred, Nor-fik for us transplants. Norfolk trips up outsiders, yet they all seem able to say Suffolk (Suf-fick) properly - Go figure. Another one is Warwick, pronounced War-ick.

That said, I've yet to meet someone NOT from WNY who can get through Cheektowaga or Tonawanda without butchering them. And I won't even get into what they do to Scajaqueda or Chautauqua. :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You frickin' northern Virginians don't say it right, ya' damn yankee wannabe's.  :blink:  It's actually Nah-fik for those born and bred, Nor-fik for us transplants.  Norfolk trips up outsiders, yet they all seem able to say Suffolk (Suf-fick) properly - Go figure. Another one is Warwick, pronounced War-ick.

That said, I've yet to meet someone NOT from WNY who can get through Cheektowaga ot Tonawanda with butchering them.  And I won't even get into what they do to Scajaqueda or Chautauqua. :)

450261[/snapback]

Whatever. All I know is a went to a regional playoff game and the cheerleaders from Norfolk did that cheer a few times, and I was like, what the hell.

For those of us with Houston connections, KHOU-TV in Houston is now calling Galveston Bay as ground zero, it's no longer looking like it's going to directly nail Matagorda Bay.

As you probably know, that's not good for SE Houston - the surge will absolutely hammer Channelview and IMO up to and including Humble. It's not looking good at all.

Here are a couple of links to KHOU-TV I've been using to follow the developments in and around Houston:

5AM forecast - Galveston Bay (Houston) is ground zero

KHOU-TV Blog (misc updates posted as soon as they come in)

KHOU-TV's live web feed - great coverage for those of us who have Houston connections

Hopefully the people to whom you are connected are on the road now. My father and mother-in-law (as well as his mother) are making their way to Lufkin. They were unable to find a room anywhere closer than Dallas, so they're going to stay at a shelter, which I know they won't like but given the alternative...

My sister-in-law and her husband are leaving this afternoon to go stay with his family in San Antonio, farther from home than my mother and father-in-law are willing to travel. My brother-in-law is choosing to ride it out in his big 'ol brick house in western Houston (I've forgotten the neighborhood's name), but wife's dad doesn't think that will be too safe - especially given the current health of his mother.

I'd rather see my brother-in-law go, but he's convinvced he'll be OK since he's not in the mandatory evac zone. There's no arguing with him, but at least I now know my wife isn't the only bullheaded member of the family. I just pray he, his wife, and their daughter (she's 17) get through it.

This storm isn't going to be fun for a lot of people. :blink:

Whatever.  All I know is a went to a regional playoff game and the cheerleaders from Norfolk did that cheer a few times, and I was like, what the hell.

450266[/snapback]

Good trick, given that there's no such thing as Norfolk High.

Norfolk's schools are Booker T Washington (Bruce Smith's alma mater), Granby High, Norview, Lake Taylor, and Maury.

For those of us with Houston connections, KHOU-TV in Houston is now calling Galveston Bay as ground zero, it's no longer looking like it's going to directly nail Matagorda Bay. 

As you probably know, that's not good for SE Houston - the surge will absolutely hammer Channelview and IMO up to and including Humble.  It's not looking good at all. 

Here are a couple of links to KHOU-TV I've been using to follow the developments in and around Houston:

5AM forecast - Galveston Bay (Houston) is ground zero

KHOU-TV Blog (misc updates posted as soon as they come in)

KHOU-TV's live web feed - great coverage for those of us who have Houston connections

Hopefully the people to whom you are connected are on the road now.  My father and mother-in-law (as well as his mother) are making their way to Lufkin.  They were unable to find a room anywhere closer than Dallas, so they're going to stay at a shelter, which I know they won't like but given the alternative...

My sister-in-law and her husband are leaving this afternoon to go stay with his family in San Antonio, farther from home than my mother and father-in-law are willing to travel.  My brother-in-law is choosing to ride it out in his big 'ol brick house in western Houston (I've forgotten the neighborhood's name), but wife's dad doesn't think that will be too safe - especially given the current health of his mother. 

I'd rather see my brother-in-law go, but he's convinvced he'll be OK since he's not in the mandatory evac zone.  There's no arguing with him, but at least I now know my wife isn't the only bullheaded member of the family.  I just pray he, his wife, and their daughter (she's 17) get through it.

This storm isn't going to be fun for a lot of people. :blink:

450274[/snapback]

I'm still betting she'll make landfall further eastward than predicted...that was my call 1.5 days ago, that she was gonna shift a good ways east, and slowly, btu surely, the NHC keeps adjusting the track further eastward...one guarantee with hurricanes...they never make landfall or go where they are initially predicted to...

Good trick, given that there's no such thing as Norfolk High. 

Norfolk's schools are Booker T Washington (Bruce Smith's alma mater), Granby High, Norview, Lake Taylor, and Maury.

450276[/snapback]

I don't remember the school, just the cheer. Went with a friend who was from there, DBA here at work. But that was the cheer, and I asked him to ensure that is what they were saying. Might have been a catholic or private school as well, it's hard to tell here as they tend to cross over when state titles are decided.

This is so depressing. My girlfriend arrived at my home at about 1:30am this morning. Each time the hurricane's eye moves a little more East, it puts her home right in the center of the storm.

It's hard to know how to comfort her. She's newly divorced and her family is in Buffalo. She's so sure she's gonna lose her fricken house :blink:

You frickin' northern Virginians don't say it right, ya' damn yankee wannabe's.  :blink:  It's actually Nah-fik for those born and bred, Nor-fik for us transplants.  Norfolk trips up outsiders, yet they all seem able to say Suffolk (Suf-fick) properly - Go figure. Another one is Warwick, pronounced War-ick.

That said, I've yet to meet someone NOT from WNY who can get through Cheektowaga ot Tonawanda with butchering them.  And I won't even get into what they do to Scajaqueda or Chautauqua. :)

450261[/snapback]

Oh, come on, what about your home town? Seems simple... :(

Don't forget Avon, Lima, and especially Leicester in the sticks, and if you head up to Rochester to catch the fast ferry you better know how to pronounce Charlotte.

Oh, come on, what about your home town?  Seems simple... :(

Don't forget Avon, Lima, and especially Leicester in the sticks, and if you head up to Rochester to catch the fast ferry you better know how to pronounce Charlotte.

450363[/snapback]

Le Roy always gave people troubles, but it always seemed pretty straight forward to me. But on the other hand, so did Chili and Bergen, and "leicest" I forget Socio... :)

EDIT: Leicester reminds me of a place down here called Gloucester, prounounced Glawster. :blink:

Le Roy always gave people troubles, but it always seemed pretty straight forward to me.  But on the other hand, so did Chili and Bergen, and "leicest" I forget Socio... :blink:

450371[/snapback]

I completely forgot about Chili, and didn't consider Bergen until you mentioned it. To get back to the original names you listed, I do remember a trucker pulling into the service station I worked at asking how to get to "Chakatoweega...."

I completely forgot about Chili, and didn't consider Bergen until you mentioned it.  To get back to the original names you listed, I do remember a trucker pulling into the service station I worked at asking how to get to "Chakatoweega...."

450379[/snapback]

You tell him to keep an eye out for Town-a-wanda?

My best friend from college used to live in Eugene. Cool town (a little different :D ), beautiful scenery, and great beer. Steelhead Brewery rings a bell. Even got to see a Ducks game.

Although it was perfect weather every time I visited and he assured me that it does rain there.

450189[/snapback]

Yeah, Eugene has got it's own style that's for sure. :D If you want to get a true taste of Oregon you have to visit the Portland metro area. The people are a little more normal. The Columbia Gorge is worth checking out too.

We do get plenty of rain but usually it's nice from July through Oct. That must have been when you visited?? :D

Y'all having a nice conversation and I'm enjoying reading it....but what does it have to do with hurrican Rita??

450529[/snapback]

Are you saying they are off topic even in the OT Forum?

Are you surprised?

What's happening there right now, anyway? (I can't get any real facts from the news)