Yesterday's Game Predictable

Casey D

After last's weeks dominating win, this game was a logical progression in this team's learning curve. Losman was being thrown accolades, and the defense was talking about being as good as the 1985 Bears. Well the Bucs through a cold water bath on all that talk, and the Bills were humiliated. But it was an away game in bad conditions(heat) against a non-conference opponent. If you are going to lose, this is the kind to lose, as opposed to home games against Division rivals.

So yesterday was no surprise to me at all. What I am interested in is how this team re-groups--that will give us a much better idea if this team is a pretender or a contender. If they look like yesterday again, then worry. But if they fight back and play OK, and WIN, then maybe we have something. How you respond to adversity is the only true test of character.

The Bills need to be 4-2 after the first 6 games if they are really a playoff caliber team, given the early schedule. So let's see what these guys learned yesterday and, more importantly, what they are made of . My view is that I would not want to be the Falcons this week, but we'll see...CD

I think it is better to play like crap and lose than to play fabulous and lose. At least they have a lot of things to correct.

I was at the Bills Backer Bar in St. Louis, and the biggest thing we seemed to agree on is that our defense can no longer even aspire to being one of the best of all time. They looked like one of the worst in the league yesterday.

I expected Losman to have some bad days, but he was absurd yesterday. When he had time to, his throws were way off.

Tampa's offense was surprisingly good and the play calling was excellent.

I do agree that the heat was a major factor in our team's failure, but not the cause.

The Bills MUST MUST MUST play better next week or this statement is not true. We have to see that this was in fact the play of a new qb among others.

After last's weeks dominating win, this game was a logical progression in this team's learning curve.  Losman was being thrown accolades, and the defense was talking about being as good as the 1985 Bears.  Well the Bucs through a cold water bath on all that talk, and the Bills were humiliated.  But it was an away game in bad conditions(heat) against a non-conference opponent.  If you are going to lose, this is the kind to lose, as opposed to home games against Division rivals.

So yesterday was no surprise to me at all.  What I am interested in is how this team re-groups--that will give us a much better idea if this team is a pretender or a contender.  If they look like yesterday again, then worry.  But if they fight back and play OK, and WIN, then maybe we have something. How you respond to adversity is the only true test of character.

The Bills need to be 4-2 after the first 6 games if they are really a playoff caliber team, given the early schedule.  So let's see what these guys learned yesterday and, more importantly, what they are made of .  My view is that I would not want to be the Falcons this week, but we'll see...CD

445906[/snapback]

After last's weeks dominating win, this game was a logical progression in this team's learning curve.  Losman was being thrown accolades, and the defense was talking about being as good as the 1985 Bears.  Well the Bucs through a cold water bath on all that talk, and the Bills were humiliated.  But it was an away game in bad conditions(heat) against a non-conference opponent.  If you are going to lose, this is the kind to lose, as opposed to home games against Division rivals.

So yesterday was no surprise to me at all.  What I am interested in is how this team re-groups--that will give us a much better idea if this team is a pretender or a contender.  If they look like yesterday again, then worry.  But if they fight back and play OK, and WIN, then maybe we have something. How you respond to adversity is the only true test of character.

The Bills need to be 4-2 after the first 6 games if they are really a playoff caliber team, given the early schedule.  So let's see what these guys learned yesterday and, more importantly, what they are made of .  My view is that I would not want to be the Falcons this week, but we'll see...CD

445906[/snapback]

I disagree. This butt whoping was completely avoidable. This is a veteran team, they had no business feeling all warm and fussy about themselves. The defense should have shut up about how good they felt they were and the coaching staff should have used they're supposed "creative" minds to avoid the Tampa rush (ie. Screens, QB draws, sprint rollouts). The Bills played small and scared against beatable team. Don't count on teams feeling intimidated by the Buffalo Bills anytime soon now. In my eyes the team and coaching staff took a couple of steps waaay back.

I disagree. This butt whoping was completely avoidable. This is a veteran team, they had no business feeling all warm and fussy about themselves. The defense should have shut up about how good they felt they were and the coaching staff should have used they're supposed "creative" minds to avoid the Tampa rush (ie. Screens, QB draws, sprint rollouts). The Bills played small and scared against beatable team. Don't count on teams feeling intimidated by the Buffalo Bills anytime soon now. In my eyes the team and coaching staff took a couple of steps waaay back.

446469[/snapback]

Perhaps, but I think your expectations are unrealistic. This team is flawed, as are all teams. They had a letdown yesterday.. it happens. What matters now is what they learned from this, and how they respond. I did not expect them to be 16-0.

Perhaps, but I think your expectations are unrealistic.  This team is flawed, as are all teams.  They had a letdown yesterday.. it happens.  What matters now is what they learned from this, and how they respond.  I did not expect them to be 16-0.

446588[/snapback]

It wasn't that they just had a loss. It's that every phase had it's butt handed to them. The QB, OL, RB, DL, LB, coaching, even our punter sucked! I'm having a really hard time seeing us winning next week. You're only as good as your last game, so if it was a fluke then prove it and beat the Atlanta Falcons.

I think it is better to play like crap and lose than to play fabulous and lose.  At least they have a lot of things to correct.

I was at the Bills Backer Bar in St. Louis, and the biggest thing we seemed to agree on is that our defense can no longer even aspire to being one of the best of all time.  They looked like one of the worst in the league yesterday. 

446000[/snapback]

Total BS. The Bills actually played very good defence the first half keeping the game well within reach. They wore down physically because of being on the field too long. They had to be losing heart because of the offenses inability to score as well. Both these things added up to a pretty average second half for the defence. 318 yards and 17 points against would hardly qualify them for worst in the league. I think you are just typing out of frustration.

Perhaps, but I think your expectations are unrealistic.  This team is flawed, as are all teams.  They had a letdown yesterday.. it happens.  What matters now is what they learned from this, and how they respond.  I did not expect them to be 16-0.

446588[/snapback]

I did not say I predicted it-- I said I was not surprised. There is a difference between the two. Let me illustrate.

For example, President Bush said he had no idea that the levees in New Orleans could be breached from Katrina. I never would have predicted he would say something so plainly wrong given that he is the President and should be informed. On the other hand, it hardly surprised me that he had no idea what he was talking about given his past performances? See the difference between prediction and lack of surprise?

I did not say I predicted it-- I said I was not surprised.  There is a difference between the two. Let me illustrate.

For example, President Bush said he had no idea that the levees in New Orleans could be breached from Katrina.  I never would have predicted he would say something so plainly wrong given that he is the President and should be informed.  On the other hand, it hardly surprised me that he had no idea what he was talking about given his past performances?  See the difference between prediction and lack of surprise?

446767[/snapback]

The foreging response was to Die Hard Fan, not myself. Plainly I am technologically challenged...CD

445906[/snapback]

Like Mularkey said this was a wake up call for this team. Lets see how they respond this week against the Falcons. The one thing I was worried about was our offensive line not opening up any wholes for Willis M to run through. That seemed to be the problem. Put 8 men in box against the run and most of the time your going to have success stopping the run. Even if you bring 7 or 8 on a blitz, every team will bring the pressure until JP can solve this and finally exploit the other teams secondary. If there is a theme for this year I would say its patience.

MINN and SF played worse than us. That's it.

446472[/snapback]

I am suprised at how Minnesota is this year. Are they really that bad? Let me tell you something, their defense was bad yesterday. Regardless of whether or not they were on the field for more than the Bengels defense, this team has suprisingly looked non-energetic.

445906[/snapback]

I disagree. Bouncing back with a win over an overrated non-conference team at home after a dismal performance is nothing we haven't seen before....Rams last year, Redskins in '03, Bears in '02....

For once I'd like to see the Bills respond to SUCCESS and not read their own press clippings the week after a WIN. Until they learn how to do that they'll never be consistent, and they'll never win a Super Bowl.

I hear all this talk about a "wake up call" and wonder how a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years needs a "wake up call" after winning 1 game in a row against a mediocre at best team at home. The Pats came into last year having won 2 of 3 SB's and didn't need many "wake up calls" last year.

I am suprised at how Minnesota is this year.  Are they really that bad?  Let me tell you something, their defense was bad yesterday. Regardless of whether or not they were on the field for more than the Bengels defense, this team has suprisingly looked non-energetic.

446838[/snapback]

I am drawing a conclusion here - PW's move has hurt us more than helped them.