TKO is the best linebacker the Bills ever had

Kelly the Dog

This is the linebacking corps I would want on my all-time Bills team:

Outside: Takeo Spikes, Cornelius Bennett

Inside: Chris Spielman, Shane Conlan

Although if someone wanted to go with a foursome of Darryl Talley, Bryce Paup, Mike Stratton and Jim Haslett, I'd be hard-pressed to argue.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the linebacking corps I would want on my all-time Bills team:

Outside:  Takeo Spikes, Cornelius Bennett

Inside:  Chris Spielman, Shane Conlan

Although if someone wanted to go with a foursome of Darryl Talley, Bryce Paup, Mike Stratton and Jim Haslett, I'd be hard-pressed to argue.

440192[/snapback]

And this is the all-time defense I'd go to war with:

DE: Bruce Smith, Tom Sestak

NT: Ted Washington

OLB: Takeo Spikes, Cornelius Bennett

ILB: Shane Conlan, Chris Spielman

CB: Nate Clements, Butch Byrd

SS: Lawyer Milloy

FS: Troy Vincent

That's right, I want four guys from RIGHT NOW on my all-time team. That's how good this D is.

Talley, Bennet, Takeo

440158[/snapback]

Cliffnotes begin: I love Spikes but London Fletcher is da man. Cliff notes end.

Don't get me wrong because I think Spikes was a wonderful acqusition by this team, deserved the two Pro Bowl nods he has received here and is a great player.

However, I think there is a reasonable case to be made simply looking a their on-field production that he is not even the best LB on this team but that in fact London Fletcher is.

When one factors in the reality (whether we like it or not it is the reality in the salary cap level playing field of the NFL) of bang for the buck there is no question to me that Fletcher is by far a bigger contributor to the Bills than Spikes since not only do we get a year in and year out team leadership in tackles for a small cost by NFL standards for Fletcher, but he simply plays manty more essential roles that Spikes while equalling or exceeding his output by many standard LB statisitcal INDICATORS.

For example:

1. The MLB can more easily get to both sides of the field than the OLB, but Fletcher does this racking up significantly more tackless than Spikes at OLB. Consideration of Fletchers performance should not be diminished because he plays in the center of the field. He produced tackles at a greater level than Spikes and simply showed he is at least his equal in production and in fact simply plays a role where he is required to cover more area and jobs and he has done thin.

2. His ST contribution is huge and is an area that Spikes is not generally asked to do. Fletcher was our primary short-kickoff guy last year and was reliable in this ball handling role. Whe nhe wasn't showing surprising ball handling skills for an LB, he led the way in a wedge of blockers which player a key role in McGee scoring a ton of TDs often untouched due to the superior blocks and McGee doing a great job of reading these blocks.

3. Fletcher not Spikes is the team captain on D. The big rap i see on Fletcher as a player is that he occaisionally is so rapacious as a player he will draw a personal foul that hurt us in one or two games last year, but this over the top attribute has not stopped Fletcher from also demonstrating that he knows this game. He often is in the refs face making a case that they should have or should not have made a particular call while the TV commentors or me as a viewer is still trying to figure out what the heck happened and who should be bitched about because of the call. Fletched often seems to be there and is actually the lead sign that gives a clue as to what the heck happened. He da man.

4. Cleatrly Spikes creates opportunities for Fletcher to perform but likewise I think Spikes owes many of his accomplshments to the precence of Fletcher. I think this is shown in that Fletcher clearly produced even when Spikes was not here breaking Spielman's tackle record as he was pretty alone the best player on our D. Often the team captaincy will got to the best performer on the field or to the new kid in town with the big contract. Despite Spikes contract, Fletcher retained the captaincy and I think this was a bow to Fletcher's performance from the better paid Spikes and an acknowledgement from Spikes of the fact that in part he does the things which bring him deserved praised for folks like Kelly because Fletcher is such a sideline to sideline terror.

5. Sure there are some measures where Spikes outdid Fletcher last years like I think Spikes got more INTs and turned them into more TDs. I do not remember the fumble recovery comparison (though Fletcher got 1 Sunday picking up the ball Kelsay stripped) from last year. Hpwever, in addition to easily surpassing him in tackles last year both players had 3 sacks in the Bills zone blitz scheme.

Sure Spikes has the Pro Bowls and Fletcher does not but I think this says more about the popularity aspects of this selection (though it is a true good thing) than it does about a real assessment of Fletcher's production. Ironically, i think if Fletcher were paid more (a worse deal for us) he actually would draw more Pro Bowl support.

My bottomline is that in answer to the question of whether Fletcher is a great LB who is one of the best in the league. I say yes!

However, the irony here is that though he is one of the best in the NFL, I don't think he is the best LB on this team!

We have had a few excellent ones over the years, but TKO has a combination of size, speed, skills, athleticism, playmaking ability, production and star quality that IMO is unmatched, and I have been watching the Bills since the mid 60s.

He kills people, he's as good on the run or the pass, he's consistent, he has remarkable hands for INTs and picking up fumbles, he can be a terror on blitzes, he plays all downs and has the speed to be all over the field, he's good fundamentally, he's smart, he never lets up, he rarely if ever has a bad game, he rarely misses tackles or opportunities, he never misses a game, he's respected and known around the league as a stud, he scores touchdowns, he's made it to the Pro Bowl and he makes spectacular highlight reel hits and plays. And he comes across as a great guy. We really have never had that total package of consistent stellar, spectacular play.

440133[/snapback]

Its close between him and Talley. But with the way things have been going TKO would get my vote.

he's 241 lbs of sexual chocolate...  At least that's what he told nfl countdown last year.

440135[/snapback]

:angry: How do you even type something like that? :)

And lets not forget to give ourselves a pat on the back for our active recruiting effort in getting Takeo to come to Buffalo. Major props to all the Bills fans at the Ralph that fateful game against the Bengals in 2002 when we knew he was going to be a FA and chanted his name and cheared him for his play.

We have had a few excellent ones over the years, but TKO has a combination of size, speed, skills, athleticism, playmaking ability, production and star quality that IMO is unmatched, and I have been watching the Bills since the mid 60s.

He kills people, he's as good on the run or the pass, he's consistent, he has remarkable hands for INTs and picking up fumbles, he can be a terror on blitzes, he plays all downs and has the speed to be all over the field, he's good fundamentally, he's smart, he never lets up, he rarely if ever has a bad game, he rarely misses tackles or opportunities, he never misses a game, he's respected and known around the league as a stud, he scores touchdowns, he's made it to the Pro Bowl and he makes spectacular highlight reel hits and plays. And he comes across as a great guy. We really have never had that total package of consistent stellar, spectacular play.

440133[/snapback]

He would be a candidate for the HOF if he hadn't been drafted by Cincinnati. What a waste of five years. :angry:

I must agree KTD. I would place Bennett second.

As far as one season however, I don't know if it gets any better than Bryce and his 17 1/2 sacks, pressures, run stops and blocked passes.

Also, not enough good things can be said about Speilman. We are lucky as Bills fans to have had this fierce competitor with us for just a little while.

440133[/snapback]

I would agree with that assessment, and after a couple years of play at the level he's at right now, I don't think there will be any doubt. He is the total package in every respect, a true superstar.

I loved Talley, but it took him a few years before he became an impact player. In fact for awhile there before the playoff run, I thought he might be a bust. Bennett was tremendous, but he could've been one of the all-time greats, close to another LT, I don't think he ever realized his full potential. Conlan and Spielman were nice, but really can't be mentioned in the same breath as the others. Stratton was very solid, not great. Paup may have had the best year of anyone, but he wasn't what I consider a true LB. Don't forget Lucius Sanford, very underrated by Bills fans but a hell of a player.