Cannon arm

Coach Tuesday

It was incredibly apparent, seeing it live and up-close, that Losman has an absolute gun for an arm. He threw the 15-yard out amazingly fast and laser-like, both in the pocket and rolling to his right.

I think one of the overlooked reasons the Bills jettisoned Bledsoe was that, especially as the seasons wore on, he seemed to have lost velocity over the last few years - he still throws a pretty deep ball, but doesn't have too much "zip" on his mid-range throws for whatever reason. In Buffalo in December, that won't cut it.

Losman, by contrast, certainly has the arm to succeed in this city. I know everyone has said that, but I needed to see it for myself up-close, and man, was I impressed.

One of many positives from yesterday, my two cents.

It was incredibly apparent, seeing it live and up-close, that Losman has an absolute gun for an arm.  He threw the 15-yard out amazingly fast and laser-like, both in the pocket and rolling to his right. 

I think one of the overlooked reasons the Bills jettisoned Bledsoe was that, especially as the seasons wore on, he seemed to have lost velocity over the last few years - he still throws a pretty deep ball, but doesn't have too much "zip" on his mid-range throws for whatever reason.  In Buffalo in December, that won't cut it.

Losman, by contrast, certainly has the arm to succeed in this city.  I know everyone has said that, but I needed to see it for myself up-close, and man, was I impressed.

437351[/snapback]

Thanks, Coach. For us that generally "watch" the games via NFL gameplan, getting reports like this is well-appreciated.

The other thing is that, particularly in the first half, JP was hitting everyone right in the numbers. OK, he hit Antwaan Peek right in the numbers to start the third quarter, but at least Peek dropped that one. (And wasn't Peek the guy running his mouth last week?)

I'm impressed by the strength of his arm, but I'm even more impressed by his accuracy, both from the pocket and on the run.

It was incredibly apparent, seeing it live and up-close, that Losman has an absolute gun for an arm.  He threw the 15-yard out amazingly fast and laser-like, both in the pocket and rolling to his right. 

I think one of the overlooked reasons the Bills jettisoned Bledsoe was that, especially as the seasons wore on, he seemed to have lost velocity over the last few years - he still throws a pretty deep ball, but doesn't have too much "zip" on his mid-range throws for whatever reason.  In Buffalo in December, that won't cut it.

Losman, by contrast, certainly has the arm to succeed in this city.  I know everyone has said that, but I needed to see it for myself up-close, and man, was I impressed.

437351[/snapback]

Thanks for raising a great topic for discussion.

I see that you took the opportunity to take a quick shot at Bledsoe, but the topic does merit conversation nonetheless.

I think that many of us have different definitions of what a "cannon" is. Also, I am thinking that some view a qb having a "cannon" arm as more vital than do others.

Think back to the TD pass that Drew threw to Evans vs. the jests last year. I am referring to the "bomb." Drew put a ton of air under the throw, and the ball dropped in almost a vertical manner into his hands. Do you recall this?

The thing is, imo, JP will never be able to throw a pass such as this, nor a 40 yard square out. Only a few qbs were ever capable of this, and then the wind-up comes into effect. For instance, Randall Cunningham could probably throw a football farther than Marino/Bledsoe. The difference was that RC needed to "wind up," if you will. He couldn't just snap off a 40 yard rope ala Marino/Bledsoe.

Please, keep in mind that the qbs that I consider the best ever are probably Montana and Young. Neither of these players had what I would deem to be a "cannon."

I am thinking that in terms of arm strength, JP has all that he needs for the type of passer he will be. I liken him to a Joe Theisman type qb, who is mobile, smart, and can drill the football where it has to be. He will not need to have the strongest arm on earth to win football games. He should stay within himself and listen to his coaches. If he does this, the kid will win a lot of football games.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see that you took the opportunity to take a quick shot at Bledsoe, but the topic does merit conversation nonetheless.

I think that many of us have different definitions of what a "cannon" is. Also, I am thinking that some view a qb having a "cannon" arm as more vital than do others.

Think back to the TD pass that Drew threw to Evans vs. the jests last year. I am referring to the "bomb." Drew put a ton of air under the throw, and the ball dropped in almost a vertical manner into his hands. Do you recall this?

The thing is, imo, JP will never be able to throw a pass such as this, nor a 40 yard square out. Only a few qbs were ever capable of this, and then the wind-up comes into effect. For instance, Randall Cunningham could probably throw a football farther than Marino/Bledsoe. The difference was that RC needed to "wind up," if you will. He couldn't just snap off a 40 yard rope ala Marino/Bledsoe.

Please, keep in mind that the qbs that I consider the best ever are probably Montana and Young. Neither of these players had what I would deem to be a "cannon."

I am thinking that in terms of arm strength, JP has all that he needs for the type of passer he will be. I liken him to a Joe Theisman type qb, who is mobile, smart, and can drill the football where it has to be. He will not need to have the strongest arm on earth to win football games. He should stay within himself and listen to his coaches. If he does this, the kid will win a lot of football games.

439330[/snapback]

just can't be happy, can ya? :devil:

Drew ain't here. Time to hitch the wagon to a new horse.

I'm impressed by the strength of his arm, but I'm even more impressed by his accuracy, both from the pocket and on the run.

437391[/snapback]

In the first half, for sure. In the second half he looked pretty inaccurate to me.

Joe, the meds are working, but only to a limited degree.

Read the post again if you will, and tell me whether or not I am praising JP.

Maybe it is the dosage.  :devil:

439340[/snapback]

Complimentary?

maybe in a backdoor kinda way.

Let me put it to you this way, I'd rather have a guy that can put zip on the 15 yard out than a guy whose best pass is the 30 yard fly rainbow.

Let me put it to you this way, I'd rather have a guy that can put zip on the 15 yard out than a guy whose best pass is the 30 yard fly rainbow.

439346[/snapback]

Bingo.

And in any case, the bomb Losman threw to Evans was snapped off pretty quickly AND hit Evans right in the numbers and in stride. It went a good 30 yards in the air, if not more.

Complimentary?

maybe in a backdoor kinda way.

439346[/snapback]

And imo, it depends. Cunningham could wind up and throw a 15 yard out through a brick wall. When Elway was young, he threw SO hard that his passes were difficult to catch.

Again, I think that JP has all the arm strength that he needs. Not enough worshp for you? Sorry, my fault.

I was trying to talk about qbs and arm strength without the run of the mill "Drew Sucks" thing which is old and tired. Hey, don't let me stop you......continue on with your whining, and then tell us all about "dead horses." :devil:

Bingo.

And in any case, the bomb Losman threw to Evans was snapped off pretty quickly AND hit Evans right in the numbers and in stride.  It went a good 30 yards in the air, if not more.

439353[/snapback]

Do you think that 30 yards in the air is a "bomb?"

Remember, the thread was about arm strength. I think that JP has all that he needs, but was taken to task and off subject by a "hater" who doesn't like "dead horses."

Remember, the thread was about arm strength. I think that JP has all that he needs, but was taken to task and off subject by a "hater" who doesn't like "dead horses."

439362[/snapback]

You and I both know that Drew struggles on intermediate and short throws.

That's why the Bills never ran any screens with him around.

That's why the King even picked him off. :devil:

Either way, it's a moot point now, the Drewster's gone. Embrace your inner JP-lover.

439362[/snapback]

While we can quibble over terminology, I think the ball JP threw to Evans demonstrated some serious deep touch. And like JSP says, Drew may have been able to throw the long ball, but he struggled on screens and intermediate throws. Even the first TD that he threw last Sunday to Keyshawn was well behind him. Keyshawn made a great play on that ball and saved Drew's bacon.

I don't think it's so much that Drew "lost zip" on his shorter throws as OP said. I think it's more that Drew has always been so in love with his long ball that he never developed the touch on intermediate and short passes that a quarterback needs, particularly in a Mularkey/Clements offense. It looks like he thinks all he needs to do to throw the short ball is to take some mustard off his pass. In that way he's a lot like a speedy wide receiver who excels on go routes but moseys across the middle instead of cutting hard and running fast.

drew had a real good bounce pass . think how many times he put the ball on the ground in front of the reciver on a short pass . we have not even seen JPs longball .when i say long ,40 plus in the air drew still can throw the long ball . and i wish him well with that other team .

I stand by my original comments - Drew lost zip on his mid-range passes over the last few seasons, especially by the end of those seasons. Bill, I think you misunderstood the point I was making: the velocity on the mid-range passes is especially necessary in a cold climate. Montana (except for his ill-fated KC stint) and Young didn't play in one; Cunningham had his best years in a dome. Flutie couldn't throw the deep out, which limited the offense in the cold weather.

I'm NOT trying to revive old topics or take a shot at anyone - why go there, Bill? I'm simply saying that I finally saw JP up close (I've seen Kelly, Iron Rob Johnson, Collins, Flutie, Bledsoe up close too), and I'm telling you this kid has more of a gun than any of them except perhaps Kelly. It will definitely come in handy.

As an aside, I agree with the posters who say they'd rather have someone who can throw the 15-yard outs than someone who throws a pretty deep ball. Kerry Collins, Bledsoe and Jeff George throw the nicest deep balls I've ever seen - and I wouldn't want any of them in a playoff game in the cold weather.

I stand by my original comments - Drew lost zip on his mid-range passes over the last few seasons, especially by the end of those seasons.  Bill, I think you misunderstood the point I was making:  the velocity on the mid-range passes is especially necessary in a cold climate.  Montana (except for his ill-fated KC stint) and Young didn't play in one; Cunningham had his best years in a dome.  Flutie couldn't throw the deep out, which limited the offense in the cold weather.

I'm NOT trying to revive old topics or take a shot at anyone - why go there, Bill?  I'm simply saying that I finally saw JP up close (I've seen Kelly, Iron Rob Johnson, Collins, Flutie, Bledsoe up close too), and I'm telling you this kid has more of a gun than any of them except perhaps Kelly.  It will definitely come in handy.

As an aside, I agree with the posters who say they'd rather have someone who can throw the 15-yard outs than someone who throws a pretty deep ball.  Kerry Collins, Bledsoe and Jeff George throw the nicest deep balls I've ever seen - and I wouldn't want any of them in a playoff game in the cold weather.

439433[/snapback]

Coach, you are correct, IMO. JP has a ton of arm. I actually think it is stronger than Bledsoe's in EVERY WAY. That's not a shot at DB who had a very strong arm in his prime and, as you rightfully point out, can still toss a long pass.

The short and mid-level stuff JP is rock-solid at (except when he throws it to the other team, of course). And, throwing on the move doesn't seem to present a problem.

Bill, you haven't seen JP throw long much yet. I think you're gonna LOVE it when it happens.

The Kid will make mistakes. His scrambling and running will cost us now and again, but I think it's going to help more than it hurts...a LOT more.

When they were drafted I thought it was clear that Big Ben was a player, and maybe had the most talent at the time...that Eli was the safest bet, he will be fine (but, he's got a lot to overcome with TC as the head coach and Gilbride as the OC)...and that JP had the greatest upside. I think we're just seeing the beginning of it now.

When's kickoff?

439330[/snapback]

Marino and bledsoe in the same paragraph is sinful unless ur talking about championships they won for their team. I know you weren't comparing the two in terms of all around talent but still bledsoe cannot throw the 15 yarders with zip for some reason like marino could. And once the coaches let JP throw the deep ball ala the pass to evans you will see that this kid can make the same throws that the statue could and some of them may even come outside the pocket. JP will do absolutely fine in the winds of WNY with the arm he showed on sunday...can't wait to see it first hand cuz i just bought my plane tickets for the miami game and the return of wicky!!!

The thing I like best is JP's quick release.  Saves a lot of sacks over the course of a career.

439334[/snapback]

Agreed! There is almost no time lapse from the moment he decides to make the pass and the moment the ball leaves his hand. He might have the quickest release in the league right now, comparable with Dan Marino in his heyday.