Bills-Detroit game replay thread

PromoTheRobot

I am going to reserve judgment on JP until the regular season. We should be able to evaluate him much better at the end of September. I just watched the first half. I would not use this game to give him many props. He has a ways to go. I just hope that he can do it quickly.

I am flying to Buffalo for the home opener. It is going to be interesting to see how he and the rest of the team react to a capacity crowd in a regular season game against a team that we should beat and must beat given some of the other games on the schedule.

Anxiously awaiting the real season next weekend, I decided to take the time today to analyze each play that Losman dropped back to pass...

First Drive

1. PI on Detroit. Nice pass by JP, as he hit Moulds in the chest, as he was being mauled by a defender.

2. Low shoestring catch by Moulds, but the ball was thrown in the only place where it wouldn't get picked off.

3. CLEARLY the Lions were off-sides. JP threw to Lee Evans into coverage; it is is probably a ball he doesn't throw if he doesn't believe he has a free play. Even so, in the future he should make sure a flag is thrown and not assume a penalty.

Second Drive

1. JP is sacked as Mike Williams is badly beaten. The sack came from the blindside, and hardly anything you can blame on the QB, as it wasn't as if he held onto the ball forever.

2. We've all heard about the first INT by now, so no sense in my rehashing. Clearly a poorly thrown ball. JP later said that he threw it into the wind without giving t enough mustard and it sailed on him.

Third Drive

1. Nicely thrown ball by JP that Evans dropped. The Bills were lucky that it wasn't called a fumble.

2. Nice screen pass to Williams

3. Beautiful bomb to Moulds would have been an easy 6 if not for PI.

4. After the non-TD because of a holding penalty, JP actually throws his worst ball of the night... at least it was his worst decision of the night, as he should have been picked off by Earl Holmes, trying to force the ball to Campbell. Replays show that Shelton was open for an easy 6. As it was, the team was lucky that it didn't go for 6 the other way.

5. Well thrown ball to Moulds, who is unable to shake the LB to get to the endzone.

Fourth Drive

1. In the shadows of the endzone, JP wisely throws the ball away. He had pretty good protection, but there was no one open.

2. Great pass by JP to Aiken on the skinny post! Not only was it pretty but gutsy coming from the endzone.

3. Nice, quick timing pass to Fast Freddy.

4. Sack... This one is on JP, as he held onto the ball too long a la Drew.

Fifth Drive

1. JP, surrounded by mostly backups, including entire OL, gets a bad snap from Espositio (no longer with the team), and takes the sack.

2. Another great post pattern to Aiken for 20 yards. That seems to be JP's favorite pattern.

3. On play action, JP completes a nice screen pass to Goldsbury. JP made it look so simple. A pity that Drew aways made that play look so difficult.

4. Second INT, clearly not JP's fault, as he hit Aiken in the hands.

Sixth Drive

1. Nice, easy pass to Reed.

2. Nice out to Reed for a 1st down.

3. Very nice completion to Haddad as JP was under pressure.

4. JP avoids pressure, gets the ball out to Fast Freddy who then dropped what seemed to be a difficult but catchable pass. No matter... Holding on the OL.

5. Underneath pass to Aiken.

6. Dropped pass by Reed hat hit him right in the chest.

7. Another great throw on the post, but this time Haddad can't hold on. It was well defended.

8. Nice scramble by JP that comes up just short.

In summary, JP was by no means perfect -- but he was not nearly as awful as I had heard by those who claimed to have actually watched the game on Friday night. I also liked how he bounced back after each INT. The first time, taking them all the way to ... well, we can't fault him for the negated TD or missed chip-shot FG. The second time, doing a nice job in the 2:00 drill.

Personally, I am more worried about stupid penalties, the defense showing up, and the line opening up holes for the running game than I am about JP. In fact, if these other factors take care of themselves, then I think our offense will be fine with JP.

Anxiously awaiting the real season next weekend, I decided to take the time today to analyze each play that Losman dropped back to pass...

First Drive

1. PI on Detroit. Nice pass by JP, as he hit Moulds in the chest, as he was being mauled by a defender.

2. Low shoestring catch by Moulds, but the ball was thrown in the only place where it wouldn't get picked off.

3. CLEARLY the Lions were off-sides. JP threw to Lee Evans into coverage; it is is probably a ball he doesn't throw if he doesn't believe he has a free play. Even so, in the future he should make sure a flag is thrown and not assume a penalty.

Second Drive

1. JP is sacked as Mike Williams is badly beaten. The sack came from the blindside, and hardly anything you can blame on the QB, as it wasn't as if he held onto the ball forever.

2. We've all heard about the first INT by now, so no sense in my rehashing. Clearly a poorly thrown ball. JP later said that he threw it into the wind without giving t enough mustard and it sailed on him.

Third Drive

1. Nicely thrown ball by JP that Evans dropped. The Bills were lucky that it wasn't called a fumble.

4. After the non-TD because of a holding penalty, JP actually throws his worst ball of the night... at least it was his worst decision of the night, as he should have been picked off by Earl Holmes, trying to force the ball to Campbell. Replays show that Shelton was open for an easy 6.  As it was, the team was lucky that it didn't go for 6 the other way.

5. Well thrown ball to Moulds, who is unable to shake the LB to get to the endzone.

Fourth Drive

1. In the shadows of the endzone, JP wisely throws the ball away. He had pretty good protection, but there was no one open.

2. Great pass by JP to Aiken on the skinny post! Not only was it pretty but gutsy coming from the endzone.

Fifth Drive

1. JP, surrounded by mostly backups, including entire OL,  gets a bad snap from Espositio (no longer with the team), and takes the sack.

2. Another great post pattern to Aiken for 20 yards. That seems to be JP's favorite pattern.

3. On play action, JP completes a nice screen pass to Goldsbury. JP made it look so simple. A pity that Drew aways made that play look so difficult.

Sixth Drive

4. JP avoids pressure, gets the ball out to Fast Freddy who then dropped what seemed to be a difficult but catchable pass. No matter... Holding on the OL.

7. Another great throw on the post, but this time Haddad can't hold on. It was well defended.

In summary, JP was by no means perfect -- but he was not nearly as awful as I had heard by those who claimed to have actually watched the game on Friday night. I also liked how he bounced back after each INT. The first time, taking them all the way to ... well, we can't fault him for the negated TD or missed chip-shot FG. The second time, doing a nice job in the 2:00 drill.

Personally, I am more worried about stupid penalties, the defense showing up, and the line opening up holes for the running game than I am about JP. In fact, if these other factors take care of themselves, then I think our offense will be fine with JP.

429216[/snapback]

Pretty accurate assessment of JP. I'm more concerned about the D giving up the big play. I'm sure the Bills will look quite different come next Sunday when the real game plan is in effect. Here's to a good start to 2005!

PTR

First Drive

Second Drive

Third Drive

4. After the non-TD because of a holding penalty, JP actually throws his worst ball of the night... at least it was his worst decision of the night, as he should have been picked off by Earl Holmes, trying to force the ball to Campbell. Replays show that Shelton was open for an easy 6.  As it was, the team was lucky that it didn't go for 6 the other way.

Fourth Drive

Fifth Drive

1. JP, surrounded by mostly backups, including entire OL,  gets a bad snap from Espositio (no longer with the team), and takes the sack.

Sixth Drive

429216[/snapback]

Thanks for the blow by blow....I watched it today to and that was the impression I came up with as well......not a perfect game from the almost rookie but not nearly as bad as some "who shall remain unnamed" on this board either.....

It is absolutely amazing....one less holding penalty here....one less dropped pass there.....and everyone is singing JPL's praises instead of calling for his benching in a meaningless preseason game......jesus h. christ

I wonder why he makes that pump fake after the snap? Is that part of the play or is he winging it?

It's designed to freeze the LB's in their tracks and give the blockers a better chance to attack them.

P throws the first INT on his 2nd drive. It was a high throw when Aiken was breaking to the sideline. Did Aiken run the wrong pattern or did JP overthrow it?

JP's throw was a little high and inside but even if he'd have thrown a strike, it was still trouble. He just has to learn that he can't throw that pattern at the sticks on that down/distance at a wildly underrated corner whose notorious for jumping routes. There's just certain guys in the league you don't throw at on certain downs or in certain places. Dre Bly will jump that route at the sticks on 3rd/8 every single time.

Low shoestring catch by Moulds, but the ball was thrown in the only place where it wouldn't get picked off.

Actually JP did a real nice job there as Bennie Anderson got worked by DT ShaunCody and hit Losman as he was trying to get the ball out as quickly as he could.

JP is sacked as Mike Williams is badly beaten.

Don't quote me on this as I was wrasslin an 8yrold while trying to watch the replay, but..... I think the Lions ran a twist and Vilarial and BigMike struggled in their timing when passing off the DT(or was that a 'backer coming through the DT's hole?). Not as much a matter of getting beat as it was two guys needing to work on their communication a little bit.

Beautiful bomb to Moulds would have been an easy 6 if not for PI.

Moulds and JP were a little off there. Moulds was turning inside while JP threw over his outside shoulder. I don't think there's a chance in hell Moulds gets turned around in time to pull that in regardless of what Bly was doing.

JP, surrounded by mostly backups, including entire OL, gets a bad snap from Espositio (no longer with the team), and takes the sack.

If that's the one I'm thinking of you can put that on #73 who I think is Geisinger. He let the 'backer walk right by him while he chose to double the DT. I have no idea why him or Jerman are still on this team while Ross Tucker is looking for work. :huh:

In summary, JP was by no means perfect -- but he was not nearly as awful as I had heard by those who claimed to have actually watched the game on Friday night.

I agree that he looked good aside from those two decisions. But those two decisions were so game-altering that they have to be the first and most important step in evaluating his performace. If this was a regular season game chances are that teh Bills would have lost a home game to the Detroit Lions with the primary reason being that Losman put his team in a 14point hole.

That is the worse possible thing he can do and exactly what he must avoid if the Bills want to go anywhere. If the regseason starts and JP is throwing pick 'n' go's all over the field, I'll be calling for Holcombe too.

Cya

The reason the bomb to Moulds looked a little off, was because JP got creamed just as he released it.

If any of you Tivo'd the game, go back to that play and watch it. It reminded me of Kelly hanging in there, and taking a big shot just as he throws.

The reason the bomb to Moulds looked a little off,  was because JP got creamed just as he released it. 

If any of you Tivo'd the game,  go back to that play and watch it.  It reminded me of Kelly hanging in there,  and taking a big shot just as he throws.

429285[/snapback]

This sickens me.

All we can do is hope that it is just preseason" and that the OL will work out the kinks, etc., but the doubter in me fears more of the same.

Last year, Drew was a supposed "statue." I don't know if Losman is good, but he sure as he!! isn't a statue, and he is already getting knocked on his ass.

I will love the Buffalo Bills until the day that I die, but we will never be a truly great football team until our offensive line is able to block other humans.

It isn't possible.

This sickens me.

All we can do is hope that it is just preseason" and that the OL will work out the kinks, etc., but the doubter in me fears more of the same.

Last year, Drew was a supposed "statue." I don't know if Losman is good, but he sure as he!! isn't a statue, and he is already getting knocked on his ass.

I will love the Buffalo Bills until the day that I die, but we will never be a truly great football team until our offensive line is able to block other humans.

It isn't possible.

429289[/snapback]

It was quick, JP looked off the safety, then looked Moulds way and threw. For a deep route, JP got the ball out of his hands pretty quickly.

I don't think it should sicken you, yet. It seemed clear to me the Bills wanted JP to throw more, and also concentrate on staying in the pocket. If he has shown one thing this preseason, it's that he's decent at feeling the pressure, and has the ability to elude it.

I'm encouraged by his mental and physical toughness, he bounces up quick from big hits, and doesn't shy away from firing a pass into tight coverage, even after throwing an interception. I think as long as the Bills give him the time he needs to develop, it will pay big dividends in the future.

I hope I'm right, my teams future depends on it.

I know it doesn't matter but didn't the Lions first TD look like a forward lateral?

429202[/snapback]

Absolutely. I replayed it on Tivo in slow mo and it was not just clearly a forward lateral, it was so ridiculously forward I can't believe nobody asked for it to be reviewed.

But you're right, it didn't matter; the guy could have scored on his own anyway.

It was quick,  JP looked off the safety,  then looked Moulds way and threw.  For a deep route,  JP got the ball out of his hands pretty quickly.

I don't think it should sicken you,  yet.  It seemed clear to me the Bills wanted JP to throw more,  and also concentrate on staying in the pocket.  If he has shown one thing this preseason,  it's that he's decent at feeling the pressure,  and has the ability to elude it.

I'm encouraged by his mental and physical toughness,  he bounces up quick from big hits,  and doesn't shy away from firing a pass into tight coverage,  even after throwing an interception.  I think as long as the Bills give him the time he needs to develop,  it will pay big dividends in the future.

I hope I'm right,  my teams future depends on it.

429302[/snapback]

Any qb, and I really don't care who, can "bounce up quickly from big hits" only for so long.

I was not in any way insulting JP. The decision was made to go with him, and that is it. I want him to excel as much as you.

I am simply sick of Bills qbs being smashed and bloodied because of management's failure to field a team that can block.

Any qb, and I really don't care who, can "bounce up quickly from big hits"  only for so long.

I was not in any way insulting JP. The decision was made to go with him, and that is it. I want him to excel as much as you.

I am simply sick of Bills qbs being smashed and bloodied because of management's failure to field a team that can block.

429307[/snapback]

I'm slightly worried about our o-line. Especially since it seemed like they had trouble opening holes for Willis this preseason.

I won't panic until I see it week 1.

JP not looking bad thus far...Unless he really changes his play in the next couple series, i dont know what all the fuss is about...

429105[/snapback]

IMO, there is too much focus on the QB. That's not where it needs to be. He's a rookie who is going to struggle.

It's a matter of minimizing mistakes; this applies, more so, to the other 10 guys on offense than him. We can't have dropped balls or missed blocking assignments if we want to have a winning season. Yes, the will have to play perfect like the Stillers did for Ben.

For the next couple of years JP gets a free pass from me. By then tho he won't have the D and ST he has now.

End of the first half - two thoughts.

1) The offensive problems are not of Losman's making.  In fact I feel pretty good about JP at QB.

2) I can't believe Drew Haddad was cut and Josh Reed is still on the team.

PTR

429177[/snapback]

You and me both dude. :huh: Is Drew really that bad at teams that he warranted the axe?