Gas Prices...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filled up late last night at $2.99 (SW Atlanta Burbs). More than one pickup filling up a bed full of gas canisters.

Haven't seen today's price. Luckily, I work from home on Thursdays. My commute is 45 miles each way...which is not unusual in Atlanta. And I'm one of the lucky ones as I have an Accord. Public transportation is a joke here. For me to get to work, I'd have to drive 22 miles, take a train and then 3 bus connections. Total time is about three hours :blink: This is gonna suck

correction...today it is $3.40/gallon....mother!@#$ers!

i just emailed 2 of my colleagues about starting a carpool.  it will be inconvenient for sure, but i figure i can get a few extra papers graded on the way, and use the gas i save to do fun stuff on the weekends.

425221[/snapback]

holy shite! make that $3.60!! :blink:

80cents in three days. that is !@#$ing bull sh--.

Hershey, PA

Tuesday- $2.48

Wednesday - $2.79

Thursday - $2.99

425819[/snapback]

In West Seneca, same price-day hike that you state, except a dime higher, $3.09.9

Which brings up another B word. When are they going to drop the .9 crap. 40 years ago when gas was 25 cents, the .9 meant something. But what's the difference between $3.09.9 vs $3.10? Of course billions of gas multiplied by .9 is big $$$$.

In West Seneca, same price-day hike that you state, except a dime higher, $3.09.9

Which brings up another B word.  When are they going to drop the .9 crap.  40 years ago when gas was 25 cents, the .9 meant something.  But what's the difference between $3.09.9 vs $3.10?  Of course billions of gas multiplied by .9 is big $$$$.

426082[/snapback]

And billons of gallons multiplied by .1 cent is big bucks, too. If they started rounding up the .9 to 1.0, they'd be pulling in even bigger profits and people would B word even more.

I was always under the impression that the nine-tenths a cent thing was tax-related, anyway (tax at the pump, not corporate income tax). I remember being told that as a kid, but I don't know if it's true or not.

I was always under the impression that the nine-tenths a cent thing was tax-related, anyway (tax at the pump, not corporate income tax).  I remember being told that as a kid, but I don't know if it's true or not.

426089[/snapback]

The link to this conservative blog was emailed to me by my old Poli-Sci professor, a devout Libertarian, by no means a liberal Bush-basher. Not sure if I've completely digested the pros and cons, but after just dropping $50 to fill up, the idea of a little relief at the pump does appeal to me.

When the folks on my local TV news this morning breathlessly broke in to with the news of the Bush decision this morning, they were positively orgasmic. You would have thought Bush was out there raising the dead or turning loaves into fishes. No, he was just approving the release of a statistically insignificant amount of oil that was supposed to (in their words) "bring some much-needed relief from skyrocketing gas prices." What an unmitigated bunch of BS. If Bush really wants to have an actual impact on gas prices, he should immediately suspend the 18.4-cent federal tax on gas and he should implore the governors of the 50 states to do the exact same thing with state taxes that range from a low of eight cents in Alaska to a high of 32 cents in Wisconsin.

http://www.pardonmyenglish.com/archives/20...to_kill_th.html

Rochester officially joins the ass-raped club. $2.69 on the way to work, $3.09 on the way home.

On the plus side, maybe most of those SUV driving soccer mom retards will get a sensible car.

426017[/snapback]

How do you fit 7 passengers and be safe in a "sensible?"

Can you tow also?

I still don't know why people are pissing and moaning... Sure it sucks. I feel sorry for the people who don't have any cushion in their budget. The rest? Let the market dictate.

How do you fit 7 passengers and be safe in a "sensible?"

Can you tow also?

I still don't know why people are pissing and moaning... Sure it sucks.  I feel sorry for the people who don't have any cushion in their budget.  The rest?  Let the market dictate.

426119[/snapback]

How many people who drive an SUV have 7 passengers to carry or tow? Yeah, thought so.

They need to carry 7? Buy a mini-van. Still not as good as a car but better then a SUV.

The link to this conservative blog was emailed to me by my old Poli-Sci professor, a devout Libertarian, by no means a liberal Bush-basher.  Not sure if I've completely digested the pros and cons, but after just dropping $50 to fill up, the idea of a little relief at the pump does appeal to me.

http://www.pardonmyenglish.com/archives/20...to_kill_th.html

426114[/snapback]

Yeah, the government drop taxes. That'll happen. <_< The government, any government, is run by the First Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "Once you have their money, never give it back."

As for the release of stocks from the SPR...that blog entry underestimates the psychological impact of the action. Sure, a million barrels makes virtually no difference to overall supply (particularly when the bottleneck's not the oil supply but refinery capacity). But just releasing ANYTHING shows the oil and gas markets that the administration is committed to keeping gas and oil, if not low, at least stable. Even if the amount is insignificant, the act itself serves to calm the rising panic in the market.

How many people who drive an SUV have 7 passengers to carry or tow? Yeah, thought so.

They need to carry 7? Buy a mini-van. Still not as good as a car but better then a SUV.

426128[/snapback]

It should be their perogative to operate anything they want to... If the vehicle or vessel gets 1/2 mile gallon, so what I don't mind just as long as they don't whine about the fuel costs. When they begin to squeal like a stuck pig, then let 'em have it.

It isn't my job to decide what somebody needs.

Yeah, the government drop taxes.  That'll happen.  <_<  The government, any government, is run by the First Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "Once you have their money, never give it back."

As for the release of stocks from the SPR...that blog entry underestimates the psychological impact of the action.  Sure, a million barrels makes virtually no difference to overall supply (particularly when the bottleneck's not the oil supply but refinery capacity).  But just releasing ANYTHING shows the oil and gas markets that the administration is committed to keeping gas and oil, if not low, at least stable.  Even if the amount is insignificant, the act itself serves to calm the rising panic in the market.

426144[/snapback]

They dropped them temporarily in Illinois when the gas prices spiked up before 911.

Post 911 and local budgetary shortfalls... Forget about it.

Hess in Bushnell's Basin (Rochester Suburbs) still has gas at $2.84 as of 6 pm tonight. The owner said they have not yet received any notice on an increase, although the Hess in Henrietta is $3.09 so haul ass to the Basin quick and fill up.

It should be their perogative to operate anything they want to... If the vehicle or vessel gets 1/2 mile gallon, so what I don't mind just as long as they don't whine about the fuel costs.  When they begin to squeal like a stuck pig, then let 'em have it.

It isn't my job to decide what somebody needs.

426172[/snapback]

The problem with this logic is that there is a finite supply of gasoline. The more guzzlers out there drive up the demand, raising prices for everyone, regardless of what you yourself drive

Filled up late last night at $2.99 (SW Atlanta Burbs). More than one pickup filling up a bed full of gas canisters.

Haven't seen today's price. Luckily, I work from home on Thursdays. My commute is 45 miles each way...which is not unusual in Atlanta. And I'm one of the lucky ones as I have an Accord. Public transportation is a joke here. For me to get to work, I'd have to drive 22 miles, take a train and then 3 bus connections. Total time is about three hours  <_< This is gonna suck

425814[/snapback]

Saw two of them on the way home (of the eight gas stations I passed, 6 were out of gas, and the other two were @ 2.99 for regular).

Lots 'o guys lining the bed with gas cans.

NW ATL.

-Jeff