This may be the worst thing I've ever heard

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/in...es/2005_08.html

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Children's Hospital under seige

Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond. 

I also understand from news reports that the incident may have started when someone demanded care for their child who was injured but the hospital was full and refused care for the kid because they had already turned away adukts who had demanded care and they didn;t want to set a precedent.

Both this excuse and the idea that a crowd is trying to break in to steal food from sick kids sounds pretty dubious to me.

Its an out of control situation where press reports seem fairly unreliable, even official comments.

Food was my first thought.  Drugs were my next thought.  I probably have that backwards.

423724[/snapback]

you do, drugs will go first.

Sad to see, but most of the patients will be evacuated in the coming days.

Ok, why were they trying to break into a hospital?  My guess cuz it's above sea level.  Well some parts of it anyway. 

BTW, I thought everyone had evacuate N.O.???

423713[/snapback]

A few years ago they were talking to an old-timer about the big one in the Big Easy... I kinda chuckled because he said he had a row boat in his attic stocked with supplies and PFD's... I thought to myself, wow what a total "sleeping Jesus."

That "sleeping Jesus" doesn't sound too wacky today... Along with that 4k limo ride that the Chicago and SD family caught!

Seriously, it's time to start shooting looters on sight.  Grabbing diapers out of supermarkets is one thing, but interfering with emergency services...

423923[/snapback]

Shoot 'em...If you have food or supplies, you are to be let go, but if you have anything not necessary, you need to be shot...

Shoot 'em...If you have food or supplies, you are to be let go, but if you have anything not necessary, you need to be shot...

423948[/snapback]

Food and supplies are necessary when you're in a state of emergency. They should be shot no matter what they have.

423948[/snapback]

Look at them they're the dreggs of society anyways.........Shoot them dead. They act like wild animals.

hey it WOULD be effective crowd control. Hell, why not just throw a plugged-in toaster into the water at their feet?

423949[/snapback]

And where to you propose somebody "unload" the device from... The I-10 expressway bridge... The place is gonna be bunch of little islands soon.

The USCG has a nice amount of small Zodiac type craft with SAWs (M-249) mounted on them... That show of force would be effective.

:P:lol:

Exactly.  Any looter should be shot on sight, period.

423983[/snapback]

Is breaking into a store to get food and water looting?

If so, if I was stuck there you bet I would be looting for

bottled water, non-perishable food, batteries, floatation devices, etc.

Is breaking into a store to get food and water looting?

If so, if I was stuck there you bet I would be looting for

bottled water, non-perishable food, batteries, floatation devices, etc.

423995[/snapback]

How many emergency supplies are in Foot Locker?

If it is true, it's despicable. And, considering all we're hearing, it may or may not be.

But help needs to be given to these people...the Red Cross is doing all it can.

Some are desperate. Many are taking advantage. There's a big difference between shooting a looter with a loaf of bread and shooting a looter with a plasma TV.

I shudder to say this, but we've effectively lost a major American city. That hasn't happened since the San Francisco Fire in 1906, nearly one hundred years ago. Some insurance companies will go bankrupt because of Katrina...up to $29 billion in insurable losses is what I've heard.

And, should you choose to donate to a charity, stick with the Red Cross. Some fly-by-night charites may pop up, and take people's money for their own gain. THOSE are the people who should be shot on sight.

Mike

Its an out of control situation where press reports seem fairly unreliable, even official comments.

423718[/snapback]

there have been reports that all the guns have been looted from walmart...have groups of people running around armed to the teeth

And, should you choose to donate to a charity, stick with the Red Cross.  Some fly-by-night charites may pop up, and take people's money for their own gain.  THOSE are the people who should be shot on sight.

Mike

424000[/snapback]

maybe we should donate to "The Black Panthers"

not disputing that.

424004[/snapback]

I saw looters circling FootLocker on TV in NO today like Sharks around a distressed fish. It was appauling. Thugs looking for a new pair of "Melo's" during others absolute worst time.

It's about survival for a lot of these people. I've heard of worse. It's incredibly unfortunate situation. To break into hospitals, the only thing I can think of is that it is above sea-level. Other than that maybe extra food. If it anything else, that is really sad.

I saw looters circling FootLocker on TV in NO today like Sharks around a distressed fish. It was appauling. Thugs looking for a new pair of "Melo's" during others absolute worst time.

424011[/snapback]

It will be nice to die of dyptheria or dehydration with your new Air Jordan's on.

Those people are already f***ed. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a death toll in one month in the thousands.

It will be nice to die of dyptheria or dehydration with your new Air Jordan's on.

Those people are already f***ed. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a death toll in one month in the thousands.

424020[/snapback]

(Sniff sniff).....now see what you made me do. :P

424011[/snapback]

I understand your anger and disgust and it is very apalling.

What else do some people know?... I am not justifying it and I try not to let MY stereotypes get in the way.

People are out there everyday, killing one another for the most seemly petty things.

The sad part is that is all they know.

There most be a lot of dispear and a sense of abandonment. You are talking about a huge underclass where dispear and abandonment has already invaded them to begin with.

Communication loss and the wait has got to be fueling the paranoia.

Instrumental leaders take charge in times like this.

I understand your anger and disgust and it is very apalling.

What else do some people know?... I am not justifying it and I try not to let MY stereotypes get in the way.

People are out there everyday, killing one another for the most seemly petty things.

The sad part is that is all they know.

There most be a lot of dispear and a sense of abandonment. You are talking about a huge underclass where dispear and abandonment has already invaded them to begin with.

Communication loss and the wait has got to be fueling the paranoia.

Instrumental leaders take charge in times like this.

424053[/snapback]

I knew a "Bush Bash" was in the works from you.