DE (4): Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Ritzmann

DT (5): Adams, Edwards, Anderson, Sape, Bannan

OLB (4): Spikes, Posey, Stamer, Crowell

MLB (2): Fletcher, Haggan

CB (5): Clements, McGee, Thomas (PUP), Greer, King

SS (2): Milloy, Wire

FS (2): Vincent, Baker

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

FB Goldsberry, WR Wilson, TE Trafford, G Geisinger, DE Gause, MLB Ezekiel, CB Fontenot, FS Leonhard

INJURED RESERVE (4):

WR Vann, G Smith, G Sobieski, LB Brantley

Which leaves the all-out cuts (9):

QB Matthews

QB Thompson

FB Burns

TE Cieslak

G Jerman

C Esposito

LB Hunter

CB Oglesby

CB Richardson

I'd like to hear everyone's feedback. I don't know if Mularkey and Co would be willing to go with only 2 QB and 1 FB on the roster, but my logic is that we'd be just as well off with Moorman as our emergency QB and Neufeld/Gates/2nd TE/3rd WR as our replacement FB.

I think there have three QB's inc Matthews. From what I read Jerman may make team over McFarland. I think one less WR and one more fullback likely Burns. One thing I read today too is they could dump Dorenbus and go with Preston as long snapper. He snapped for entire first half on Friday, though he did screw up the extra point somewhat. They may stay with Dorenbus for now, but later on if they need the roster spot may cut him if Preston improves a bit too.

I think that looks pretty solid with two exceptions... One is that they will have at LEAST Three QB's between the active roster and the practice squad. So i see Matthews taking J. Smith's spot (i personally need to start the, I hate "Not so" Fast Freddy Fan club). And i won't be surprised if Crowell gets cut or maybe even traded which will open up a spot for Burns (i did hear something on the pre-game show the other day that they may have played him more to try and audition him for other teams).

I also wonder if Preston can handle the long snapping duties, who stays as Dorenbos' position is no longer needed. If anything that may be a battle to watch next season as Preston didn't do as well as he needed to against the bears in long-snapping to warrant him being the guy this year.

I think there have three QB's inc Matthews. From what I read Jerman may make team over McFarland.  I think one less WR and one more fullback likely Burns.

421404[/snapback]

Definitely 3 QBs. Matthews may not be exciting, or have much upside, but he is here as a tutor, apparently.

I think Fast Freddie's days are done.

On the few plays where I saw McFarland at RT, he sucked. I would not be surprised to see him gone. The coaches said some good things about Jerman, I guess, despite him falling down out of his stance!

Joe Burns, well, he may just surprise us all and keep hanging on, sort of like Wire...

I count you have 2 players in PUP, but I believe players in PUP are not counted against the final 53 rosters if Bills declared them inactive.

Thus, you add two more players to your list.

421432[/snapback]

PUP's can return to practice under a roster exemption beginning Oct. 17 - the Monday following Week 6 play. They may practice for 21 days before the team has to make a decision regarding their roster status.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's my comments on the criticisms I see:

1. Trafford has been activated for only 4 games in his career, and I believe the max # for PS eligibility is 6...so that would make him still eligible, right??? I could be wrong, of course, and if I am I'd just switch his fate with Cieslak's for all you scorekeepers out there.

2. No way would I cut Dorenbos now. Maybe we don't re-sign JD next season after Preston gets more long snapping practice, but that Bears game wasn't exactly a vote of confidence for such a decision. Our games this year are most likely going to be close, low-scoring ones where 1 bad punt snap/1 wobbly field goal snap per game could singlehandedly alter the outcome.

3. From what I remember seeing of Jerman, he sucks. Bad. McFarland still needs to add more bulk to his frame, and this takes time. Plus McNally drafted DM, so I don't think he'll bail on him after only 1 year and 1 preseason of NFL experience.

4. Looks like the majority here believe we will - and should - keep 3 QB's on the roster. I agree on the "will" part, but not on the "should" part. A Matthews - Fast Freddie roster swap makes the most sense, although (usuing similar logic with cutting Dylan McFarland) I don't think we should bail on a second year draft pick for a guy whose main purpose is to mentor JP. Isn't that what Mularkey, Clements, and Wyche are for?

5. I think PUP players still count on the opening day roster, but if they don't, then you scorekeepers can place Matthews and Burns back from my all-out cut list to the regular roster.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's my comments on the criticisms I see:

1. Trafford has been activated for only 4 games in his career, and I believe the max # for PS eligibility is 6...so that would make him still eligible, right??? I could be wrong, of course, and if I am I'd just switch his fate with Cieslak's for all you scorekeepers out there.

There's a two-season cutoff on PS eligibility. Trafford spent the last part of 2003 on the Bills PS, then split time between the Eagles and Bills last year.

3. From what I remember seeing of Jerman, he sucks. Bad. McFarland still needs to add more bulk to his frame, and this takes time. Plus McNally drafted DM, so I don't think he'll bail on him after only 1 year and 1 preseason of NFL experience.

At this point, I'm hoping TD and Modrak are scanning the waiver wire for depth at T, because outside of Peters' potential, I'm not thrilled with any of ours.

4. Looks like the majority here believe we will - and should - keep 3 QB's on the roster. I agree on the "will" part, but not on the "should" part. A Matthews - Fast Freddie roster swap makes the most sense, although (usuing similar logic with cutting Dylan McFarland) I don't think we should bail on a second year draft pick for a guy whose main purpose is to mentor JP. Isn't that what Mularkey, Clements, and Wyche are for?

Keeping only two QB is rollin' the dice, especially with JP's playing style.

5. I think PUP players still count on the opening day roster...

421740[/snapback]

Nope.

"PUP—physically unable to perform—status is used by clubs to protect a player who is relatively seriously injured but who may recover soon enough to play again that same season. It is similar to major league baseball's 60-day disabled list. Contrast this with injured reserve status, where the player is ineligible for the remainder of the season.

A player who is put on the PUP list before the preseason's first roster cutdown (from 80 to 65 players) must remain inactive through the sixth week of the regular season. At that point, he has a three-week practice "window" before he must either return to the 53-man roster or end his season on injured reserve."

421770[/snapback]

Thanks, Lori. My only problem with what you said concerns Trafford's PS eligibility. If he's not eligible after 2 seasons, how do we explain Drew Haddad's being on our PS last year? Drew Haddad

Anyway, screw it. Trafford's on my all-out cut list now. Here's an update:

ROSTER (53):

K: Lindell

P: Moorman

LS: Dorenbos

QB (3): Losman, Holcomb, Matthews

RB (3): McGahee, Williams, Gates

FB (2): Shelton, Burns

WR (7): Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Reed, Aiken, Haddad, Smith

TE (3): Campbell, Euhus, Neufeld

T (4): Williams, Gandy, McFarland, Peters

G (3): Villarial, Anderson, Preston

C (2): Teague, Tucker

DE (4): Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Ritzmann

DT (5): Adams, Edwards, Anderson, Sape, Bannan

OLB (4): Spikes, Posey, Stamer, Crowell

MLB (2): Fletcher, Haggan

CB (4): Clements, McGee, Greer, King

SS (2): Milloy, Wire

FS (2): Vincent, Baker

PRACTICE SQUAD (8):

FB Goldsberry, WR Wilson, TE Cieslak, G Geisinger, DE Gause, MLB Ezekiel, CB Fontenot, FS Leonhard

INJURED RESERVE (4):

WR Vann, G Smith, G Sobieski, LB Brantley

PUP (2):

TE Everett, CB Thomas

All-out cuts (7):

QB Thompson

TE Trafford

G Jerman

C Esposito

LB Hunter

CB Oglesby

CB Richardson

If/when we decide to activate Thomas and Everett off the PUP list, Burns and Fast Freddie would seem to be the two most likely cuts.

2. No way would I cut Dorenbos now. Maybe we don't re-sign JD next season after Preston gets more long snapping practice, but that Bears game wasn't exactly a vote of confidence for such a decision. Our games this year are most likely going to be close, low-scoring ones where 1 bad punt snap/1 wobbly field goal snap per game could singlehandedly alter the outcome.

421740[/snapback]

I think Dorenbos stays, but not because of the FG snap. Dorenbos does not ever snap FG snaps, just longsnaps for punts.

If/when we decide to activate Thomas and Everett off the PUP list, Burns and Fast Freddie would seem to be the two most likely cuts.

421832[/snapback]

I agree with your revised roster. Fast Freddie (or Wilson, if he gets the #7 WR nod instead of Smith) gets bumped the moment either of the two guys come off PUP.

It'll be interesting to see if KE gets activated or put on IR. I'm betting IR if they get off to a good start. If they activate him, it could be trouble for Haddad at the # 6 WR slot.

re: Haddad-

2000: Bills/Colts PS

2001: Colts active roster (three games)/IR

2002: played in one game with Colts, active for six others

2003: out of football

2004: Bills PS/active roster/PS

The way I understand it, neither of Haddad's stints on the Colts active roster were long enough to count against his PS eligibility.

Also: I sincerely doubt we see Kevin Everett on the field this season.

CD: Although Trey Teague snapped for FG/PAT attempts in 2003, Dorenbos handled them last year.