Corey Simon a free agent now

billsburgh

he would make our defense even better, but only if we can still re-sign nate, than I'd be all for bringing in corey simon.  We need our defense to be as good as possible to carry us this season.

421305[/snapback]

I'd rather spend it on a great O-line where Willis starts blazing his trail to the HOF this season. :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather spend it on a great O-line where Willis starts blazing his trail to the HOF this season.    :P

421390[/snapback]

Which great OL players are available that we should spend big bucks on? We shouldn't buy Simon if we feel that his cost is too high for his benefit as a DT. However, if we feel there is a DT benefit to signing him but we do not do it because the money is better spent on a position where there is no one to spend it on that makes no sense.

Which great OL players are available that we should spend big bucks on?  We shouldn't buy Simon if we feel that his cost is too high for his benefit as a  DT. However, if we feel there is a DT benefit to signing him but we do not do it because the money is better spent on a position where there is no one to spend it on that makes no sense.

I agree. I think? :P

No, you've nailed it. There IS no one on the O-line worth spending the money on, unless another surprise FA gets released. But the odds of that happening are low.

I think a lot are really underestimating what the loss of Pat Williams could mean to our #2 ranked defense. Corey Simon, AT THE RIGHT PRICE, would be a great pick up, if the Bills are serious about making a playoff run, this year. I can't pretend to be a capologist, but with Simon being cut this late in the preseason, that would seem to give the Bills (or another team interested in him) an advantage in signing him to a managable salary. He may want the world, but he is not going to get it, if he wants to play in 2005. TD has shown himself to be clever enough with salary cap management, that I am sure, if he really wants to sign Simon, and keep Clements, he could manage it...

Sorry, unimressed. I am hoping that the Bills will devote FAR more resources than this to filling the important position of LT.

421322[/snapback]

Its just not going to happen Bill. I agree with you but the bottom line is that TD is not going to put much money in to the OL. He wants to get by on the cheap, hoping to get lucky with a nobody. Heck, maybe it will work. In any event, since he isn't going to ever put much money into the OL, we might as well sign Corey Simon. If he is even half the player he was, he'd be a force on the line. A DT who gets sacks is invaluable.

Its just not going to happen Bill.  I agree with you but the bottom line is that TD is not going to put much money in to the OL.  He wants to get by on the cheap, hoping to get lucky with a nobody.  Heck, maybe it will work.  In any event, since he isn't going to ever put much money into the OL, we might as well sign Corey Simon.  If he is even half the player he was, he'd be a force on the line.  A DT who gets sacks is invaluable.

421439[/snapback]

I don't know if I agree with your assessment of TD being cheap on the o-line given that we are paying Williams and exhorbitant sum to play average RT. I think its more a conseqence of no one being available at the right price. I don't think TD will have any problem paying premium $$ for a LT who TD thinks is worth the cash. The problem with that position, ala Jonas, is that average guys can end up getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash if they hit the market at the right time.

RTB

we have to accept the fact that we will NOT be getting any more O-Lineman, this season.

now I DO want to resign Clements. and i do think we should get him signed before next season. cus in FA, he will be looking to get PAID. just look at what some BUM CBs got in the last FA.

but IF we sign Simon, i do not think that means we cant sign clements. other things can be changed, to get that cap space.

if we sign simon, i will be very happy. and woudl seriously help us become a top 3 defense. (yes, i know we WERE a #2 defense last season, but what about this season??) DT is a position i am worried about. Edwards can come in on passing downs, but i dont think hes good enough to be in on "3rd and short" downs.

(i remember a BIG run in the bears game).

so if he can be had for less than the HUGE contract he MAY be askign for, hell take him.

we have to accept the fact that we will NOT be getting any more O-Lineman, this season.

now I DO want to resign Clements. and i do think we should get him signed before next season. cus in FA, he will be looking to get PAID. just look at what some BUM CBs got in the last FA.

but IF we sign Simon, i do not think that means we cant sign clements. other things can be changed, to get that cap space.

if we sign simon, i will be very happy. and woudl seriously help us become a top 3 defense.  (yes, i know we WERE a #2 defense last season, but what about this season??) DT is a position i am worried about. Edwards can come in on passing downs, but i dont think hes good enough to be in on "3rd and short" downs.

(i remember a BIG run in the bears game).

so if he can be had for less than the HUGE contract he MAY be askign for, hell take him.

421549[/snapback]

Big Ron has put on about 50 lbs since coming into the league. I do believe he was instucted that he would have to be more in the Pat Williams/Sam Adams/Ted Washington mold in order to be a starting DT. In lieu of Herrion's death it makes you wonder how players feel about these decisions, but that is another topic. I do feel that Ron Edwards can absolutely play the postion and be quite effective.

But I'd agree we aren't in a horrible situation overall.  It's Bennie I worry about.

421359[/snapback]

Yep, he's looking just as bad as he did with the Ravens... hopefully it's just a pre-season thing, but looking at the starters he's the obvious weak link on the line as predicted. :P

“Initially the asking price was extremely high because I wanted to stay in Philadelphia,” Simon told Gunn. “I wasn’t really trying to ask for a price that teams were willing to jump at because I always wanted to remain optimistic that we could find a deal that would work for myself and the Eagles

His asking price was high because he wanted to stay?

Philadelphia-Comcast

Big Ron has put on about 50 lbs since coming into the league.  I do believe he was instucted that he would have to be more in the Pat Williams/Sam Adams/Ted Washington mold in order to be a starting DT.  In lieu of Herrion's death it makes you wonder how players feel about these decisions, but that is another topic.  I do feel that Ron Edwards can absolutely play the postion and be quite effective.

421656[/snapback]

to be honest i dont care what he weighs, as long as he can do his job. the past few years, he was a bum. consistantly getting beat, and allowing big runs.

last season, he was good on passing downs, when he came in to sub.

i think hes good in pass rushing situations, but i DO NOT want him in there on a rushing down.

and i dont think they have linked Herrion's death to his weight... (or did i miss that).

to be honest i dont care what he weighs, as long as he can do his job. the past few years, he was a bum. consistantly getting beat, and allowing big runs.

last season, he was good on passing downs, when he came in to sub.

i think hes good in pass rushing situations, but i DO NOT want him in there on a rushing down.

and i dont think they have linked Herrion's death to his weight... (or did i miss that).

421796[/snapback]

No link but...here's a few links. I know, cheesy.

read

readread

I'd love to see this move, IF it can be done without sacrificing Nate. As much as I agree the OL needs work, our defense and ST are and will be our bread and butter if we are to make a run at a title, and without question, Sam Adams and Corey Simon paired together would absolutely demolish the pocket. If you have a chance to get a proven lineman of that caliber on either side of the ball you have to jump at it, they're just so few and far between. If the debate was between an OL of a similar talent level or Corey Simon, then yes I agree, based on our need lets go OL. That's not the case, however. The option is Corey Simon or camp fodder on the offensive side of the ball. Again, I stress, that's ONLY if it's possible to keep Nate and get this done. With Corey and Sam on the inside of that line, I would say our D has serious potential to make that next step from dominant D of this era to one of the dominant defenses of all time. We've seen where that can take you, and you just can't pass that up.

No link but...here's a few links.  I know, cheesy.

read

readread

421813[/snapback]

thanks for the links.

but i dont think they show his death was related to his death.

"49ers await word on cause of death"

"Yes, it could be totally unrelated to his weight, but the fact remains that he was 6-3 and he weighed 310 pounds and probably should have been 210 pounds," Harp said.

so they may be looking in to it. but they dont know if HIS death was cased by his weight.

they just see that he was 300+ lbs. and are going with that.

I can see Simon signing a 1 year deal that is not too extreme.  That would give him a paycheck and allow him to showcase himself for next year.

421651[/snapback]

That'd be my guess, too. Sort of like a "rental player" free agent in the NHL. If he has a great year, he'll be set up for a big contract in 2006.

That said, he'd probably want to play on a great defense this year so he could have the "halo" effect of his teammates making him look good. Playing next to SA sure might be something he'd consider....

thanks for the links.

but i dont think they show his death was related to his death.

"49ers await word on cause of death"

"Yes, it could be totally unrelated to his weight, but the fact remains that he was 6-3 and he weighed 310 pounds and probably should have been 210 pounds," Harp said.

so they may be looking in to it. but they dont know if HIS death was cased by his weight.

they just see that he was 300+ lbs. and are going with that.

421828[/snapback]

I know. I just think it has brought the relevance of the weight issue to light. We don't know the cause of Herrion's death but dude wasn't a picture of health.

I can see Simon signing a 1 year deal that is not too extreme.  That would give him a paycheck and allow him to showcase himself for next year.

421651[/snapback]

There is zero chance of Simon signing a one-year contract. He is already a high-demand unrestricted free agent. Why would he risk injury this year during a one-year contract, just to become the same unrestricted free agent after the year?

He got what he wanted: out of a one-year contract (franchise tag) so that he could sign a long-term deal with lots of up-front money. He has no reason to then turn around and sign a one-year contract.

Whoever lands Simon will do so with a big, long-term contract. And if the Bills have the cash to spare, they should do it. Better Ralph's money is on the field than in his pocket.

And regarding re-signing Nate Clements, I doubt it will happen. The Bills (and the rest of the league) have a track record of drafting successful, starting CBs. And because they are rookies/young players, they are on the cheap. If Clements has a good year, look for TD to franchise, sign, and trade him (and I doubt there are any more team like the Falcons willing to give up first-rounders, if anything-- see SAlexander, EJames, etc.). But I wouldn't count on him being in Bills' uniform next year.