JP was awful

vegas55

After watching the replay of the Bears game, I was surprised how there seemed to be no commentary (except from JP himself) at all about the horrendous play of Losman. An entire defense stacked at the line, focused on stopping Willis, and JP just cannot find a receiver open downfield. Of course that is difficult to do when you constantly jump out of the pocket at the very least sign of a pass rush. He is skittish beyond all belief back there. An NFL QB must, at least occasionally, stand in the pocket and give receivers time to complete their downfield routes. A QB's main function is to throw the ball. not run, otherwise we would start Willis or Parrish at QB. Willis will continue to average about two yards per carry until JP shows he is willing to stand in the pocket and punish a nine man front with some downfield throws. He can spend ten offseasons in Buffalo studying the offense, but its all for nothing if he can't stand in the pocket and pull the trigger.

It'll be OK son. Read this quote from JP after the game:

"The coaches sit there and tell me this is because you're young, things like this are going to happen," Losman said. "Well it's not going to happen. I've got to pull the trigger. This team is too good for them to be waiting for the quarterback to pull the trigger. So we've got a couple more weeks here until we get to the real thing, and I've got to figure it out by then."

The kid is a competitor. You can sit back and critique every move he makes, but I think most people will get behind him and stay behind him because he burns to win. It may take him a little time, but he's they type that refuses to lose. I'll bet if he had played the whole game the Bills would have won.

After watching the replay of the Bears game, I was surprised how there seemed to be no commentary (except from JP himself) at all about the horrendous play of Losman. An entire defense stacked at the line, focused on stopping Willis, and JP just cannot find a receiver open downfield. Of course that is difficult to do when you constantly jump out of the pocket at the very least sign of a pass rush. He is skittish beyond all belief back there. An NFL QB must, at least occasionally, stand in the pocket and give receivers time to complete their downfield routes. A QB's main function is to throw the ball. not run, otherwise we would start Willis or Parrish at QB.  Willis will continue to average about two yards per carry until JP shows he is willing to stand in the pocket and punish a nine man front with some downfield throws. He can spend ten offseasons in Buffalo studying the offense, but its all for nothing if he can't stand in the pocket and pull the trigger.

420908[/snapback]

I understand your point but the key here is that JP needs to throw successful passes to WRs. I have no problem with JP ducking out of the pocket quickly as LONG AS HE STILL SUCCESSFULLY completes the pass.

JP clearly needs to improve his play. the good news is his zero INTs so far as improving his play should mean having more success rather than improving his play merely meaning avoiding failure.

The Bills O has shown some flashes of the TC/MM diverse approach but all in all it is still pretty vanila. We can get better simply through the function o f running a real O rather than require JP to make himself a whole new player in order to to improve.

The key is not simply whether he looks awful but WHY he looks awful (or unproductive is what I would call it. AWFUL is how he looked in the NE debacle last year and though clearly his play in unprodcutive this pre-season he is not what I would call awful. Hutchinson of the bears was awful and throwing a returned for a TD INT to Clements and a near TD return to Spikes was awful. the next series where JP led the tea, backward was very bad, but getting 3 is not awful.

This is just semantics but clearly they are different from each other in terms of results and overall this pre-season in terms of actual play.

:D

It'll be OK son.  Read this quote from JP after the game:

"The coaches sit there and tell me this is because you're young, things like this are going to happen," Losman said. "Well it's not going to happen. I've got to pull the trigger. This team is too good for them to be waiting for the quarterback to pull the trigger. So we've got a couple more weeks here until we get to the real thing, and I've got to figure it out by then."

The kid is a competitor.  You can sit back and critique every move he makes, but I think most people will get behind him and stay behind him because he burns to win.  It may take him a little time, but he's they type that refuses to lose.  I'll bet if he had played the whole game the Bills would have won.

420949[/snapback]

It's weird...when everyone was bashing JP after the scrimmage and first two pre-season games, I thought he played well. After this game, people were saying he played okay, I though he sucked!

I'm not changing my opinion that JP will be good eventually, but I agree he laid an egg in Chicago.

PTR

It'll be OK son.  Read this quote from JP after the game:

The kid is a competitor.  You can sit back and critique every move he makes, but I think most people will get behind him and stay behind him because he burns to win.  It may take him a little time, but he's they type that refuses to lose.  I'll bet if he had played the whole game the Bills would have won.

420949[/snapback]

So because JPL says he wants to do well, he WILL do well? :D

CW

I saw the Cowboys/Texans game last night.  Bledsoe looked terrific...does that mean the Bills made a mistake?

420976[/snapback]

Potentially. Only time will tell...

My guess? I bet the Bills of 2005 look very similar to the Bills of 2004. I think our problems of late are due to the OL, not the QB.

CW

So because JPL says he wants to do well, he WILL do well?  :D

CW

420966[/snapback]

Of course, it always works that way. I said I wanted to be rich, and I am very wealthy.

Wait a minute, I ain't got a pot to piss in, what was I thinking. ;)

So because JPL says he wants to do well, he WILL do well?  :D

CW

420966[/snapback]

Maybe.

At the professional level, there isn't that much difference in physical prowess from one player to the next and I imagine that the players who succeed are the ones with mental toughness.

How much can we read into JP's future from his first 3 pre-season starts?

After watching the replay of the Bears game, I was surprised how there seemed to be no commentary (except from JP himself) at all about the horrendous play of Losman. An entire defense stacked at the line, focused on stopping Willis, and JP just cannot find a receiver open downfield. Of course that is difficult to do when you constantly jump out of the pocket at the very least sign of a pass rush. He is skittish beyond all belief back there. An NFL QB must, at least occasionally, stand in the pocket and give receivers time to complete their downfield routes. A QB's main function is to throw the ball. not run, otherwise we would start Willis or Parrish at QB.  Willis will continue to average about two yards per carry until JP shows he is willing to stand in the pocket and punish a nine man front with some downfield throws. He can spend ten offseasons in Buffalo studying the offense, but its all for nothing if he can't stand in the pocket and pull the trigger.

420908[/snapback]

He also had two very nice third down conversion throws while moving around that got wiped out by penalties, one when Haddad didn't establish position after stepping out of bounds and one to George Wilson called back by an illegal touch by Evans. He misfired on a potential TD to Campbell while rolling out as well.

Still, I agree to some extent JP has to show a little more patience before using his scrambling ability. But on the other hand, his game is NOT about being a pocket passer and I suspect MM/TC have not designed the offense to have him stationary very often.

Let's see how Friday goes. I want to see how he responds now that he's put some pressure on himself with his post-game comments vs. the Bears.

People are getting way too crazy with the "JP is god" and/or "JP sucks" during the preseason.  I saw the Cowboys/Texans game last night.  Bledsoe looked terrific...does that mean the Bills made a mistake?

420976[/snapback]

terrific? bledsoe led one scoring drive out of the eight he played. no more than one first down on any of the others. take a look at the nfl.com play-by-play. :D

by the way, i agree completely with your point -- just not the example you gave to back it up. ;)

I expect JP to make 1 - 2 major rookie mistakes a game this season. But, considering I also expect that he will be sacked much less and throw fewer interceptions than Bledsoe did last year, I think the defense will be able to overcome most of the rookie mistakes.

I expect the team to be at least 8-8 with JP at the helm, and if he can keep to one painful mistake a game, the Bills could go 11-5; which should get them into the playoffs.

I have more concerns about Rian Lindell snagging defeat from the jaws of victory than I do about JP.

Dave.