Damion Shelton....

LabattBlue

I haven't had the chance to watch the game back on tape, but there were at least two plays where Shelton was completely ineffective as a lead blocker. One was on Urlacher and I'm not sure who the other one was against. If the running game is going to succeed, Shelton(when he is in the game) has to make his blocks.

I haven't had the chance to watch the game back on tape, but there were at least two plays where Shelton was completely ineffective as a lead blocker.  One was on Urlacher and I'm not sure who the other one was against.  If the running game is going to succeed, Shelton(when he is in the game) has to make his blocks.

420860[/snapback]

I played the game back on TIVO and the line wasn't doing too bad in holding their blocks for McGahee, but Shelton wasn't even a speed bump when isolated against Urlachr. At least two times, Shelton's missed blocks resulted in losses.

I played the game back on TIVO and the line wasn't doing too bad in holding their blocks for McGahee, but Shelton wasn't even a speed bump when isolated against Urlachr.  At least two times, Shelton's missed blocks resulted in losses.

421224[/snapback]

But let's not forget...Urlacher's pretty damned good. It's not like Shelton was going up against some undrafted free-agent camp fodder scrub.

But let's not forget...Urlacher's pretty damned good.  It's not like Shelton was going up against some undrafted free-agent camp fodder scrub.

421227[/snapback]

True, but I don't expect Shelton to pancake him. Just be able to get a body on him or at least get in his way to delay him for a half-second.

I'm not too concerned. Shelton has gotten the job done in the past and it is only preseason.

But let's not forget...Urlacher's pretty damned good.  It's not like Shelton was going up against some undrafted free-agent camp fodder scrub.

421227[/snapback]

My comment as well. He's been in the league 6 years, getting better and already been to 4 pro bowls I believe.

Maybe we were just spoiled having Sam Gash for those few years.

With Shelton's age, FB should be a position TD thinks about in the '06 draft. I'm hearing good things about Matt Bernstein out of Wisconsin. Really in the mold of what this team has always looked for in a FB.

After seeing the stats and play-by-play report., I expected to see a horrific performance by the o-line. But, many of the negative plays were because of breakdowns in blocking on the part of backs or receivers.

So what your saying is that our journeyman FB had his hands full with a perennial Pro Bowler and probable HoF LB? 

Shocking.

421273[/snapback]

Just my 2 cents...

First of all Urlacher is a long way from the HoF. Second, is it a lot to ask of your FB, to

sitck his helmet in the chest of the player he is trying to block?

I know it's preseason and all, but those were two LAME efforts by Shelton.

Just my 2 cents...

First of all Urlacher is a long way from the HoF.  Second, is it a lot to ask of your FB, to

421281[/snapback]

Fair enough. :P

So what your saying is that our journeyman FB had his hands full with a perennial Pro Bowler and probable HoF LB? 

Shocking.

421273[/snapback]

It's amazing how this forum (not campy specifically) swings from arguing that a player flat-out stinks to annointing him sainthood as convenient.

Url had a several good years, got great press, but is coming off of surgery. On paper his story looks a lot like Lavar Arrington - they can't both be perennial Pro Bowler and probable HoF LB's, can they?

I wouldn't count Url in the HOF just yet, and a decent showing by Shelton wouldn't have been out of the question.

Just my 2 cents...

First of all Urlacher is a long way from the HoF.  Second, is it a lot to ask of your FB, to

421281[/snapback]

I remember last season Shelton was on my sh-- list for about the first six games for just those kinds of lame-ass transgressions. Then he really came on.

And that's actually what worries me. If he's making the same lame-ass transgressions NOW, in preseason...does that mean he's dogging it, saving himself for the regular season? Or that he starts the season slow, and has to build up to form? Or is he just a spotty and inconsistent player? Or was he simply handled by a very good linebacker? Whichever, it does NOT make one confident in his play week-to-week.

After seeing the stats and play-by-play report., I expected to see a horrific performance by the o-line.  But, many of the negative plays were because of  breakdowns in blocking on the part of backs or receivers.

421279[/snapback]

I've seen the same so far in my 2nd review of the game. I'm going through the first couple quarters a couple times trying to focus on individual linemen. I was first surpised to see Big Mike get a Pancake block, two maulings of his man, and a solid duration block in his first four plays... I do remember Teague having some difficulty though, along with Anderson.

I've seen the same so far in my 2nd review of the game. I'm going through the first couple quarters a couple times trying to focus on individual linemen. I was first surpised to see Big Mike get a Pancake block, two maulings of his man, and a solid duration block in his first four plays... I do remember Teague having some difficulty though, along with Anderson.

421392[/snapback]

What, you want all the lineman to have a good game at the same time? :P

It's amazing how this forum (not campy specifically) swings from arguing that a player flat-out stinks to annointing him sainthood as convenient.

Url had a several good years, got great press, but is coming off of surgery.  On paper his story looks a lot like Lavar Arrington - they can't both be perennial Pro Bowler and probable HoF LB's, can they?

I wouldn't count Url in the HOF just yet, and a decent showing by Shelton wouldn't have been out of the question.

421334[/snapback]

Urlacher can be my MLB any day of the week. I guess I just think more of him than many here, and that's cool. His injury aside (stuff happens), opponents gameplan around him. He's the best player on one of the best defenses in the league and a true difference-maker.

Isn't the comparison to Arrington a little off base? IMO, it's a bit like comparing Ray Lewis to Dat Nguyen.

After seeing the stats and play-by-play report., I expected to see a horrific performance by the o-line.  But, many of the negative plays were because of  breakdowns in blocking on the part of backs or receivers.

421279[/snapback]

I have noticed that Bennie Anderson is not playing well. I keep rewinding the tivo to watch Gandy, but its benie's man that often makes the tackle.

Just my 2 cents...

421281[/snapback]

i agree, labatt. urlacher at this point is nowhere close to the HOF. he makes some "highlight reel" plays but is often out of position.

don't get me wrong, he's still one of the better LBs in the game; but it's not too much to expect that your FB at least slows him down when isolated. if shelton was "taking it easy" because it's preseason....well, that's bullcrap. i hope for his sake he just had a bad night, because the film won't lie. if the coaches (and his teammates) think he wasn't putting forth the effort, mr. shelton may find himself on the wrong side of a pink slip.