Almost Silent Thread for New Orleans

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be a hurricane any more by then.  Lots of rain, though.

421376[/snapback]

Yep I know. Gonna have to gas up the cars and buy some supplies tomorrow. I lived in Birmingham AL in 1995 when Hurricane Opal came thru. It was only a Cat 3 and had already degraded to a tropical storm but that was lots and lots of rain.

Haven't read the whole thread but is anyone else worried that the SuperDome might not withstand 175 mph wind?

This person is worried:

For example, the Superdome's outer skin is composed of 500,000 square feet (146,500 square meters) of anodized aluminum

Lovely ... sheets of aluminum flying around in 160-175 mph winds.

But wait! It gets better!

Contractors building the Superdome also found that it required efforts and techniques that were a bit out of the ordinary, especially in the construction of its roof. For this building, the largest clear span steel structure in the world ... is literally held together by its roof. In its flying - saucer-shaped design , the walls of the Superdome literally hang (for want of more descriptive term) from the roof, with the force vectors at foundation level pointing away from the center.

So basically, the outside is riveted panels of aluminum suspended from the roof. The director of FEMA has already warned that even buildings design to withstand the force of a Cat 5 hurricane will NOT be able to withstand winds of 160+ mph.

The term "death trap" comes easily to mind here. Do we never learn?

Worst case scenario is tens of thousands are dead and this thing makes 9/11 look like a day in the park. We are in a world of sh-- right now.

Haven't read the whole thread but is anyone else worried that the SuperDome might not withstand 175 mph wind?

This person is worried:

Worst case scenario is tens of thousands are dead and this thing makes 9/11 look like a day in the park.  We are in a world of sh-- right now.

421408[/snapback]

Well, i'm off to bed. The sick thing is, when I wake up, many people that are alive right now won't be (which i realize happens every day, but it just weird seeing the cause of these deaths on a radar screen), many enormous structures that are standing will be fallen, and an area of land that is now just getting rained on will be completely under a toxic lake of water, human waste, and corpses. Damn....

3 people already dead. Deaths while evauating people from a nursing home...

and one last thing tonight... the Superdome has ONE generator... where is it located? On ground level of course... flooding could destroy it...

That should be a peaceful environment. A superdome with 40,000 people in it ... hot as hell, dark as night... flooding football field in the middle...

Now they're saying it should only be Cat 4 when it hits N.O. so that should help.

421419[/snapback]

National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield said: "There's certainly a chance it can weaken a bit before it gets to the coast, but unfortunately this is so large and

so powerful that it's a little bit like the difference between being run over by an 18-wheeler or a freight train. Neither prospect is good."

My Prayers are with the people of the big easy