Almost Silent Thread for New Orleans

Anyone see Oil Storm on FX a couple months ago? Very similar situation with a huge hurricane heading towards LA oil refineries.

420857[/snapback]

Yup. The system is pretty fragile as we've already learned. A major catastrophe on the oil industry in the Gulf and people might be wishing for the good old days of $2.50 gas.

A recent reading showed 175 mph sustained winds w/ gusts of 213 mph.

Time to geaux to higher ground. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.  The system is pretty fragile as we've already learned.  A major catastrophe on the oil industry in the Gulf and people might be wishing for the good old days of $2.50 gas.

Time to geaux to higher ground.    :D

420872[/snapback]

Barring a miracle, this one is going to be pretty ugly.

Yup.  The system is pretty fragile as we've already learned.  A major catastrophe on the oil industry in the Gulf and people might be wishing for the good old days of $2.50 gas.

Time to geaux to higher ground.    :D

420872[/snapback]

Jesus N.O is going to get hammered to shizzit.

The 11am advisory from NHC quotes 166kt flight-level winds and a central pressure of 907 mb, with no gross structural signs of it weakening (though they say it should weaken, because "it can't stay this strong for very long". :D Wishful thinking is a bad forecasting tool.)

For comparison, Hurricane Camille had a central pressure of 908. Andrew, 922. Hurricane Gilbert, which had the highest wind speeds ever recorded in an Atlantic of Gulf hurricane, was 888. Actually, only Gilbert and two unnamed hurricanes have had lower recorded pressures than Katrina. Nasty B word-mother of a storm...

Not a good position to be in when your downtown is 10 feet Below Sea Level and they're talking a 20 ft ASL storm surge. The levees are good for about 10ft ASL. :D

I think the Superdome is about at sea level so I don't think going there to be trapped for days with unknown goobers would do much good.

I've got relatives in the area, or rather did. They've booked inland. This one is a real deal.

Not a good position to be in when your downtown is 10 feet Below Sea Level and they're talking a 20 ft ASL storm surge. The levees are good for about 10ft ASL.  ;)

I think the Superdome is about at sea level so I don't think going there to be trapped for days with unknown goobers would do much good.

I've got relatives in the area, or rather did. They've booked inland. This one is a real deal.

420903[/snapback]

NHC's forecasting as high as 28 feet...or 38 above ground level in NO. What's that, a four story building? I don't recall any of historic NO having anything higher than three. :D

NHC's forecasting as high as 28 feet...or 38 above ground level in NO.  What's that, a four story building?  I don't recall any of historic NO having anything higher than three.  :D

420910[/snapback]

That's about right. It's going to be very ugly.

And people think western New Yorker's are nuts for dealing with a little snow and cold temps. I'll take that over hurricane's, tornado's, earthquakes, etc... any day. If that is the worst we have to deal with, not a problem.

and the graveyards.

420915[/snapback]

Yep. Everyone's buried aboveground in NO because the water table is too high for inground burials. Gonna be a lot of floating bones and caskets in addition to the raw sewage and poisonous snakes, etc. Ugly ugly ugly

Here's an excerpt from an article at weather.com

The levees that protect the city from flooding are also a flood threat themselves. "The biggest threat that the city has is that of a slow moving Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricane, which would create a surge of water that could be up to 30 feet high. Now if this (high) water comes into the city, it will top the levees. It will go over the top of the levees and actually fill up the city," said Hijuelos.

He added, "Every drop of water that comes into this city has to be pumped out. We're below sea level... but when you get a situation of a surge, the pumps would be under water. The pumps would be useless in that situation."

Oh Boy!!!