Almost Silent Thread for New Orleans

Pressure just dropped down to 902 millibars...max winds up to 184 sustained winds...its gettin real ugly...NO is gonna be hurtin after this...

i hope all of our NO fans are the hell out of there...not point in trying to ride this out...

421018[/snapback]

They just said that while it's easily comparable in strength to Camille, it's much larger and will cut a much larger swath of devastation along the landfall area. Also that it will continue to be a hurricane as far north as Tupelo... which means Memphis is going to get whacked hard too, probably.

I really wish CBB and his family would get out. No point in riding this out even if you're not IN New Orleans.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressure just dropped down to 902 millibars...max winds up to 184 sustained winds...its gettin real ugly...NO is gonna be hurtin after this...

i hope all of our NO fans are the hell out of there...not point in trying to ride this out...

421018[/snapback]

Source? National Hurricane Center's still reporting 906/175...though their next update's in 75 minutes.

Source?  National Hurricane Center's still reporting 906/175...though their next update's in 75 minutes.

421028[/snapback]

CNN just interviewed someone from there who said it was at 902 now

If you can't make it out, best piece of advice is head to the Superdome.  They are already taking people in...sit in the upper deck.

Mike

420951[/snapback]

What happens when you cram thousands of people...up to 70,000 they said they'd take...into a building that in all likelyhood will lose sewage and people will be trapped in for days?

:D

What happens when you cram thousands of people...up to 70,000 they said they'd take...into a building that in all likelyhood will lose sewage and people will be trapped in for days?

421045[/snapback]

they gotta go somewhere...lots of people there have no means to get out of the city on their own...heres a few good hurricane sites if anyone wants to track...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ National Hurricane Center

http://www.hurricanetrack.com Decent little hurricane website

http://www.wunderground.com Weather Underground...lots of good info/images/maps/computer models

http://www.met.fsu.edu/explores/tropical.html FSU's meterology center (one of the tops in the nation, especially with tropical systems

They've been showing it as a Catagory 2 as far as halfway up into MS.

In addition, the Gulf States get a double whammy...as the storm moves up into TN, KY, OH etc., the Ohio, Mississippi and other river valleys will flood and wash back down to the Gulf states. And tempertures there are forecast to be in the 90's next week, obvious high humidity and likely major loss of electrical power. :D

CNN just interviewed someone from there who said it was at 902 now

421033[/snapback]

Oh, good... :D

1m bbl/day of Gulf of Mexico oil production is already shut down, and will probably stay that way for 5-10 days. That's about 20% of US production, and 10% of consumption. And that's even before you consider the refinery production that's shutting down as well, and any damage to the port facilities that offloads the oil...

Everyone go out and fill their gas tanks today?

I've heard (this should be corroborated) that there are still quicker evacuation routes out of the Delta by going West or East and then North, since traffic is already at a standstill due north. There's still 16 hours to go until anything touches down, so Cajun, you can still get out!

This will be my last post until this thing is pass us. This is the storm that we have feared for many many years, and it's coming in like it would in a movie script, only it's reality.

Guys and Gals, please pray for us as we get through this. Reality is, if you don't hear from me in about 3 or 4 weeks, well then I didn't make it.

I don't usually get scared of much, but I am not afraid to admit this storm has me scared to death. Take care everyone and I have all intentions to be back posting on here in a couple days/weeks when humanity is restored.

GO BILLS!!!!!

420929[/snapback]

I'll say a prayer Cajun

National Weather Service just gave out some very dire possibilities.

Same track, same strength.....predict half of the houses in New Orleans to be destroyed. Predict that all major office buildings will have all windows blown out, and that some large office buildings could actually collapse due to the wind.

Say a prayer for the people down there. I was living in Baton Rouge when Andrew hit and know that a lot of people did not evacuate New Orleans. If this storm does hit New Orleans at its current strength, the loss of life and devastation will be mind boggling. I hope somehow the thing weakens before it hits the coast.

Dave.

What's going to happen to New Orleans if this thing doesn't veer is pretty much incomprehensible, but this article (long but worthwhile) puts it into frightening perspective.

421010[/snapback]

_______

Studies suggest that there's roughly a one in six chance that a killer hurricane will strike New Orleans over the next 50 years.

_______

Those death toll estimates are scary. Hopefully the authorities are getting as many out as possible.